Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Baronjutter posted:

Easier to take, harder to core, from my understandings.

Also anyone recommend a good non-euro country to play? I've never played outside of europe. I think I tried once as Japan, looked at the Daimo system, got confused, and went back to europe. Is south america fun now with el dorado ? How is China and asia now?

Some of my most fun games have been as Malacca (though you can substitute this for Brunei or Majapahit), Bengal, and Iroquois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Any word on whether the hotfix will improve performance?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

ulmont posted:

How do you join a League again? I wanted to get involved as the Ottomans in a previous game but couldn't figure it out...

Click on the cross at the top of the league you want to join.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Since they've changed the Base Tax system, I'm curious as to what the heck is going on with vassalization now.

Hejaz refuses to be vassalized by me because "Ottoman economic base compared to Hejazi":

But is probably one of the poorest nations in terms of development/economy:

What gives?

What is up with Poland in that screenshot :psyduck:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Another Person posted:

Also, I thought Bharat would have given me a cultural union and made Indian all accepted. It did not. Does Hindustan do that? If so, I hosed up by being Hindu.

I got a union of Hindusthani cultures when I formed Hindustan as Bengal (which is an Eastern Aryan culture). This was pre-Common Sense though, it may have changed.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Does anyone else have the problem of the launcher not starting in the beta?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

No, but that probably means you're not actually in the beta. Did you activate it through Steam? It won't update automatically.

I did, using the beta tab. When I try to run it the launcher won't even show up. Which is weird because in 1.12 it works just fine.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this kind of crazy poo poo happens constantly when you turn that off. Some people prefer it that way, I maintain that it's there for a reason.

I just wish there was a way to better randomise them, at least in Ironman. It's boring seeing the same countries always be lucky.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

What should be my second idea group as Poland? So far I've gotten Humanist, and for my third idea group I'm thinking Quality, but I'm not sure what to put in between. Influence maybe?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

As Poland, I'm guessing I should form the Commonwealth ASAP?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

BgRdMchne posted:

No. There's a lot of non-accepted culture, wrong religion provinces. You should get the PU ASAP and then wait until you finish Humanism to form the PLC.

e: and feed Lit as much territory as you can before hand so you don't have to pay the Admin price to core it.

Tsyni posted:

In my current run I didn't form the commonwealth until 1750. Just keep feeding Lithuania, but make sure they don't go too far over 50% overextension or you'll have a poo poo ton of rebels to put down. Also don't let your prestige get anywhere near zero, of course.

Ah, cheers.

TTBF posted:

It's kind of weird how much more likely France is to rival Spain than England or Austria.
I'm pretty sure that's historically accurate?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Not sure exactly what transpired in this part of the world before it was revealed:

but honestly, Ming exploding into confetti needs to happen more often.

More often? Post-AoW Ming imploding happened nearly every game. It's funny the first few times but after that it gets a bit old. I think they've buffed them a bit in CS though, so that Ming imploding, while still possible, isn't a given.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good idea order/strategy for Milan?

I haven't done a Milan game myself, but a friend of mine has, and he says that Influence first is essential due to the AE reduction idea.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

As Mutapa, should I stay Animist or convert to Sunni? Or should I wait and convert to Christianity when I westernise?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Never got an answer for this, but I'm currently playing a game as Mutapa and it's going well.

My question is, should I stay as animist? Or should I convert to Sunni once I get the pagan +missionary strength decision? Or should I wait until I westernise and convert to Christianity?

Sheep posted:

I apparently haven't played a Russia game in ages - what are peoples' favorite opening idea sets? I've heard good things about religious but I'm not really seeing where it'll stay useful the entire game.

Echoing people saying Religious. It's a great pick for Russia, and it stayed useful for me for pretty much the entire game. The CB is excellent since you're most likely the only major Orthodox country, and it has great synergy with Russia's NIs.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

As Mutapa, I currently have Exploration and Economic ideas. Would I be better off picking Religious or Expansion for my third idea? I want to pick up both, but the lovely 50% idea group restriction means I won't be able to pick the other one until my fifth idea group.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Node posted:

How would I go about converting to Catholicism as Japan? Colonize central America, not forming a CN, waiting for a western Catholic CN to border me, and westernize? Then I get an event to convert as I westernize?

The event to convert during Westernisation only happens to pagans AFAIK. If you're a Daimyo there's a decision you can take to convert. If you're Japan, your best bet is to do it via rebels. Fortunately you'll get events flipping your provinces to Catholic which'll help.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Node posted:

Wow. France was extra upset with Castille in your game. I've never seen them go that far before.

I had France PU and integrate Castille once. It was actually great since A) I wasn't in Europe and thus it wasn't my problem and B) it stopped Castille from colonising all over the place.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

All in all, a very successful run as Mutapa. I was able to successfully colonise Brazil, Australia, California, and the East Indies, while I was able to stack so much discipline and morale that my armies could punch way above their weight, with me being able to slaughter Ottoman armies that outnumbered me 3 to 1. Which is good, because my manpower sucked throughout the game even with Quantity; I didn't break 100K manpower until the 1700's.

Overall, I had a ton of fun and I'd recommend Mutapa to someone looking to try a game in Africa.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

What should my second idea group be as the Ottos? I have humanist, and in the past Admin would have been my second idea group, but you can't do that now. I was thinking maybe Influence or a military idea (Quantity?). Any suggestions?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

That new Diplo stuff looks great. I can't wait for 1.14 to drop.

Less than a century left, but I think I'm on track for Master of India at this rate. My biggest concern is that some of the provinces I need are owned by mega Ming.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

LLSix posted:

Do the lucky nation bonuses really transfer to a new nation if the original country bites it?

I've seen Malwa and Ming as lucky nations (in Ironman, on Historical), so I'm guessing yes.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Aw, you don't get to keep the Dhimmi estate after westernising? That's a shame, I enjoyed using them as a money cow. :(

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

Just started getting into EU4 and I noticed there is steam workshop support, are there any must have mods?

Not that change gameplay, no. There's plenty of great graphical/music mods though that make the game prettier.

My "must-haves":
Colourblind mod
Transparent Political Map
WE HAVE CASUS BELLI

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Wiz, can you please make it so that the AI doesn't consider ALL its rivals provinces to be of vital interests? This is like the third time now I've had a centuries-long ally break the alliance because we both rivalled the Ottomans and thus had overlapping interests.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

What's a good first idea group for Kazan?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Thanks.

Also,

I've never had this happen to me before. Not that I'm complaining!

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone played Novgorod lately? I'm thinking of doing Frozen Assets, but I remember how much of a grind it used to be in like 1.2. Is it still all earth scorching to run down Muscovy's manpower, and hoping Kazan jumps on them?

I haven't done it myself, but in my Poland game Novgorod under the AI formed Russia, without intervention on my part. Not only that, but plucky little Theodoro ended up conquering Crimea, a chunk of the northern Caucasus, and a chunk of the southern steppes.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

Prestige decays at 5% per year, Patron of the Arts makes it 4% instead so if you're at 100 prestige and want to stay there you need +4 yearly prestige.

Unless I did maths completely wrong.

I did this as the Iroquois. I was able to stack prestige bonuses from Innovative, Religious, my NIs, and the Religious Sacrifices decision to stay at 100 prestige permanently. It was great.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

317 hours of EUIV and I still have never had a fun Personal Union or succession war happen to me. :smith:

I actually had to wage war against France as Poland for the throne of Bohemia. I won. :getin:

However, you can't form the Commonwealth if you have more than one union, for some asinine reason. This meant I had to wait like sixty years until Bohemia was integrated until I could form the PLC. On the bright side, once Bohemia was integrated I had an automatic core on Prague without any separatism, so free westernisation ahoy!

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

I think I'm going to try an Ethiopia run next. Is it better to take Religious or Exploration first?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

I'm getting EU3 flashbacks.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

What's a good start for First Come, First Serve? I've heard that Panama is a good choice for location, but what about Culture/Religion/Ideas and such? I'd also like to go for Ideas Guy in the same run, and maybe For Odin, though I'm mainly after the first two.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Redchaostry posted:

Doing a First Come, First Serve, Ideas Guy and For Odin! run currently. Borrowed a build from a youtuber by the name of TheChrisD.

Starting Province: Meta, 1/1/1 development
National Traditions: Global Settler Increase 3, Yearly Inflation Reduction 1
National Ideas: National Tax 1, Unrest Reduction 1, Discipline 1, Core-Creation Reduction 1, Missionary Strength 2, Global Trade Power 1, Trade Efficiency 1
National Ambition: Infantry Combat Ability 2 (+10%)
Culture: Portuguese or Castile
Religion: Norse
Technology: Western
Map Graphics: What ever you want
Government: Ambrosian Republic, Rank Grand Republic
Starting Ruler: 2/3/1

Only requirement from the list is Western Tech and be 200 points or less of course.

PleasingFungus posted a few pages about advice from his run, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=190796&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post454364458.

Started in Meta so that I was next to my first expansion victim, but not bordering two right at the start. I had to declare against Spain earlier than I would have liked too, as they colonized Panama and the province next to it going into Mexico. Otherwise, as per PleasingFungus' advice I have let Spain and Portugal do most of the heavy lift to colonize South America. I probably have 2 more wars with Portugal to take all their land in South America, and then 3-5 wars with Spain. North American is going to much more interesting as there are a lot less people colonizing there and still a massive amount of empty land at 1670.

I'll probably miss the achievements this game, but I will be better prepared for the next attempt. Good luck in your attempt.

This is excellent, thank you! :tipshat:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Do you need CoP to play as a colonial nation? I want to say that's the case, but could be wrong.

I think you do, actually. Though I've never actually done so except for when I got Turn the Table.

Basically, CoP is only necessary if:
-You want to play as a North American Native and actually have fun
-You want to play as a colonial nation
-You want Random New World

Aside from that, you can skip it no problem.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Is Mare Nostrum worth it for $7.50? It's the only major DLC I don't have.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

I was called into a war against Spain by my ally, France, which they had started. France's armies then proceeded to sit on their arses in Brittany doing absolutely bugger all even while Spanish armies were besieging Paris. And this was a stack of 53K with a two-star general, just sitting there doing nothing. Eventually France gave up and ceded the Baelares to Spain after having done gently caress all for the entire war. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing this is a bug of some sort?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I'm about to start a new game with Rights of Man, I last played a game just after Cossacks came out. I have every expansion under the sun. A few questions:

- is the "we have casus belli" mod updated for latest version? This is supremely important to my immersion.

Technically it isn't, but since you can launch the game even when you have outdated mods enabled now it doesn't really matter. Just enable the mod and ignore the warning, and it'll work.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

Paradox is having a sale on their website. Expansions are going for 50-66% off, minus the latest one.

e: Base game and portrait/music/unit DLC on sale too, obv.

Thanks for this, was able to pick up Mare Nostrum for $5. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

What's a good first idea group for Tunis?

• Locked thread