Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I posted in the other thread before it got closed, so I'll ask again in here-- I haven't really played a full game since like before Art of War-- which both means like everything is different now and I'm rusty at what hasn't changed. I managed to get my rear end kicked in the opening of the game as France, of all places.

Basically, I feel like I need to learn the game from scratch again-- it's like trying a new Paradox game when you're familiar with Paradox games in general but not the one you're playing. What are some good opening moves for France to make? Since clearly picking a fight with Provence and England one year into the game and then getting dogpiled by all of my neighbors wasn't a very good one.

I guess I could also use some advice about best practices for fighting wars these days. I get how the new changes to movement cancellation and forts work in theory, but I don't know how I should be fighting wars in practice anymore (when to attack, how to bait enemies, how I should prioritize besieging forts vs. hunting down enemy armies, etc.)

Maybe I should just try England again, since I'll be able to just sulk on my own island while I learn how to play the game again. :v: Although I'm not really sure what to do as England, either, since back in the day my usual opening moves as England were to just get out of the HYW ASAP and get out of the Continent until later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

10/10 GOTY :siren:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I wish that it was more intuitive which provinces are in which fort's zone of control, although at least it's easy enough to tell if a province is in a zone of control or not, which is the important bit. Now that I've diploannexed the Irish minors, grabbed Brittany, held onto Normandy, and eaten enough of Burgundy to connect Calais with the rest of my French possessions, I haven't fought many big land wars, anyway, since I've been concentrating on exploration, colonization, and developing England proper. I haven't even bothered making any moves against Scotland yet, since I've been peacefully allied with them for a few decades. I guess I should probably do something with that eventually, if only so I can get a cooler flag, but I'm fine just being Tall England With Colonies for now.

Meanwhile, I've been running with just six Parliament seats all this time and haven't had any adverse affects aside from constantly seeing the too few seats warning for the entire time I've been playing. :v: It's more convenient than clicking on the little Parliament button in the corner, anyway.

I have to say I really like Common Sense so far (and all the other expansions I haven't done much with in aggregate-- Art of War's map changes are great, of course, but I'm also a big fan of El Dorodo's exploration stuff). The trick was just playing the same sort of England game I always do instead of trying something new-- getting used to the new systems was much easier in a start I'm otherwise familiar with.

I do have one question about El Dorodo's auto-explore system, though. In the majority of sea exploration missions, you don't have to worry about sea attrition unless your explorer gets killed somehow. This isn't the case with circumnavigating the globe, however, as I learned after I sent two explorers off to grisly deaths. What conditions (Diplo tech? Naval access with nations along the way? More colonies? A certain fleet composition?) should I meet before attempting circumnavigation again?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

sloshmonger posted:

I'm really liking this expansion. It gives even OPMs a chance at really impacting the world, like OPM Ancona wardecing 4 province Florence and annexing everything. Forts make warfare more interesting, and you need to plan how you will attack an area, or where you will hide your armies.

The increased coring costs and annexation costs come with an adjustment in mindset, true. But I thought vassal feeding was too gamey. Now you need to think whether you want to have a stronger vassal, more dip points, or take other considerations in peace. I think the costs may have gone a little too far in that regard, but I get the reason. Finally there are some trade offs where you have to chose a direction to go in rather than just "every".

Either naval access or more colonies/cores along the route. If you have colonies in South America, Hawaii or other mid-Pacific colony, and some access in Malaysia, India and Africa that should be sufficient.

Okay, there's the problem, then-- I was attempting it when I'm only in Thirteen Colonies, Caribbean, and like Panama or something.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Brandenburg (perpetual emperor since 1500 or so) managed to pass the first reform in my game. They haven't gotten further than that, but it's still pretty early.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jackson Taus posted:

It puts the seats down for you. I got an event where one of my cities demanded a seat in Parliament: I had a choice between giving them a Seat, or losing -1/-1/-1 in that province permanently.

How long does that event take to fire? I've been running with like 6 seats for a century without noticing anything bad happening.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

What's a good nation to start as to play around with Common Sense? I'm a bit tired of war, so something where I can mostly focus on other elements would be nice (but it's EU so of course there'll be war).

England would be good-- they have an English monarchy government so you can start playing around with that right away, they have the advantage over France right now (and you don't start out in the HYW anymore so you can keep France at arm's length if you want), and even if meddling in continental affairs blows up in your face you can hide on Great Britain. This means you have a lot of freedom to fully engage with trade, colonization, the new development system, etc. without your entire country burning down without warning.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Good thing I sensed which the wind was blowing and abandoned by alliance with Brandenburg because they just got hosed over by the Protestant League (with my help :v: )

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Sheep posted:

Finally, Poland is no longer unnecessarily hamstrung for no apparent reason!

edit:

Wiz giveth and Wiz taketh away... :(

Overall patch notes look really good though.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-15-full-patchnotes.904204/

quote:

- Added convert_female_ruler_to_general
- Added convert_female_heir_to_general

send this patch back in time 2014 so i can retroactively have used it for byzLP tia

quote:

- Added custom ideas for female advisor chance and ability to have female rulers as generals.

This is cool, too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

So I thought this was neat: someone on Reddit posted about the Chinese EU4 community, translating a bunch of posts from one of their forums: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/4h6euj/front_page_of_chinese_eu4_subreddit/

I really want to try their Asia rebalance mod, even though my Mandarin is pretty amateur level. It looks like they added a bunch of new provinces, events and tags (including a bunch of aborigine states in Australia Aozhou).

This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I haven't played for a while, and now I'm kind of intimidated because so many new mechanics have piled up.

• Locked thread