Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
General reminder that the AoW nerfs to same-continent colonization were absolutely ridiculously brutal but like 1 patch later it got made into the current, reasonable system we have now. If you hate the MP changes maybe just wait a patch and it'll probably even out a bit.

Personally I feel like, at least from my brief Hesse game in the HRE, expanding is way too costly, but it's equally costly to expand internally. And raising your BT in your capital or something doesn't really give as much benefit as spending 150 ADM on coring a neighboring province would in general. So it comes out to development just being not worth buying most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

I like the new "Does the devs even play the game?" thread. I'm closing in on 10 000 hours total of Paradox game time. My goal during my vacation is to finally break that. But you know, I totally don't play the games.

You are very cool my man

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If an OPM gets it army wiped by rebels and has them sitting on top of the capital but without enough troops to actually siege it they really oughta get enforced demands or something. I watched a few HRE OPMs sit for like a century because they never joined wars because they had no army and they were either allied to the Emperor or they were a Free City, so nobody attacked them. They had a stack of like 50 peasants or whatever keeping them totally hosed all game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kersch posted:

Yeah, that's true. Maybe high AT should be an anomaly instead of the norm, but the decay seems harsh enough that you tend to either be really low or really high. It's not really a normal distribution which seems off

I'm of the opinion that all of the decay mechanics are insanely annoying and you should just lose AT as well as prestige from battles, and more of it instead.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fort management for a 1000 BT beast must really suck. Can we get HoI's region thing for forts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Oh hey, a really lovely bug: I just passed a bill in Parliament, but now I'm getting the Looming Disaster notification that is ticking up +1% monthly for not having an active debate in Parliament.

But once you pass a bill in Parliament, you're required to wait 10 years before you can start a new debate.

It's 1641 and the parliament mechanic has been working just fine for me so far, why it should crop up now, I have no drat idea.

Are you sure it's not a disaster triggered by something else, but not having a current debate happens to give progress.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone should make a map font mod that is black with white outline instead. Like HoI4 has.

Does anyone know if you lose Free City status if you have vassals, but just one home province? Because vassals lose the base 6 force limit you can be an OPM with a several province vassal fairly easy I've found.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing Frankfurt is ridiculous because they are a Farmlands province. I have like 6 building slots. Also the province itself is so tiny that the city sprawl is almost outside the borders.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The ultimate buffer state

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah they usually run on 2 speed, very rarely 3 because the game slows it down a little when people lag. At 2 speed a month is like uhh 3 or 4 minutes? And you have 2 months from the day of the popup to resolve it before it automatically goes through. Nobody in the history of ever is going to be thinking about a pop up for longer than that. Also, don't forget that for events like rebels or OE events, it's better to just leave the popup till it expires. You can't get a second OE event while you already have the popup for one :troll:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah there's up to 7 permanent prestige modifiers IIRC. Or if they aren't permanent they just last like 200 years. Basically the fountain of youth has an event where your like 'dang, its not real. now lets bottle it up and sell it to suckers!'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

If you're not running a republic with a +1 republican tradition idea I don't know what to tell you.

This is basically the same as consoling monarch points since I think Hamburg is the only European nation with RT ideas.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

And severely increasing your inflation every year.

This is why the inflation reduction advisor is the best admin advisor. Also, part of the reason that Economic is ridiculously powerful.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guildencrantz posted:

Yes they do, check for yourself. The differences were smoothed out a lot in whatever patch changed it so that westernizing doesn't give you western units, but they still exist, especially at the higher tiers (1-2 pips difference typically). The Ottomans are actually the most pronounced case of this, their infantry is superior until level 15, then gradually becomes consistently worse than almost every other tech group. It's not a huge difference, but it gives their enemies an edge and makes timed attacks even more devastating if you can pull it off.

Actually they dont. They have to reform the government via a unique decision or the regular horde government ones to gain either muslim or chinese unit types. Until then they have the best cavalry and infantry for several levels, but will quickly fall behind past about tech 9.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Note that the fort system makes the game pretty "interesting" for someone like Muscovy/Russia who has a huge number of fairly weak provinces. They seem to do really poorly with Common Sense, they just have way too many provinces for good fort coverage especially in Siberia. Every time they fight someone in Asia most of their territory gets occupied rapidly, the only thing that can hold out for long is the central Moscow region they seem to fortify well. Russian winter doesn't really work as a strategic element if you have a hard time affording the forts to defend your long rear end border :v:

In real life, the hordes literally ran circles around them until they got smart and just built tons of forts. Guess what you should be doing as Muscovy/Novgorod? These provinces have such massively low supply limit, especially in winter, that even a plain castle on your border is extremely punishing to the enemy. This patch basically made every country feel like fighting Switzerland/Russia/Ethiopia, and now those three are just insane.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, this Baltic Crusader game was looking real good. I joined HRE, and then force-vassal'd Pomerania immediately in like 1448. Then I vassalized LO, annexed riga and sold them to LO. I had to take a lot of loans to fight them because LO and Riga are rich and just kinda stockpile money all game. Luckily I had an alliance with Bohemia and Austria, because Poland and Lithuania separately declared on me, then got their rear end loving wrecked. Lithuania decided to start an offensive war while already in a defensive war with Crimea, which is kind of hilarious. I lost maybe 2k manpower in these wars and managed to snipe all of my claimed provinces.

I love when the game gives you a really bleak situation and suddenly it just flips into the best possible outcome.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey so I'm doing Baltic Crusader in a Ironman game. I have every province in the Russian Region cored and Catholic religion, and I haven't tag switched or culture shifted or anything like that. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it unlock?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorced posted:

Post a screenshot, you are probably missing one of those provinces like korela or ingil that are part of multiple regions and don't have the russian color in the region mapmode unless you enter the mapmode with a russian province selected..

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out a few of the provinces near the Caspian aren't part of Russian Region but counted for the achievement. I cored Yaik and some other province nearby and then it fired.

I have insanely bad military ideas compared to the Ottomans (they have higher discipline and morale), but I've been out-teching them all game and they also keep having people revolt out and massively cripple them during wars with me.

France and Swedish Scandinavia were huge threats for a while but they've been pushovers for like 50 years. I'm gonna conquer Scandinavia and go Protestant/Religious and conquer all of Europe I think. I'm already almost 2000 development.

Turns out Baltic Crusader is pretty easy if Poland and Lithuania never ally. Keep kicking Novgorod, Muscovy, Lithuania, and Poland down as much as you possibly can and they'll never get up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

That was 1680.

It is extremely doable to keep doing the epic 2000 development behemoths just before endgame thing. The way you do it is the same way you've always done it, if you aren't retarded. You vassal feed places that are wrong religion or culture or you just don't need strategically at the moment, and you anenx the rest. I try to do about 50/50. I've always gone Influence/Admin because that's how I like to play, and this patch really favors those two. Trust applies to your vassals Liberty Desire, which is how I had an equally strong Muscovy vassal towards the end with only 20% liberty desire.

At that point though I converted to Protestantism and I have 180 provinces in/just after that screenshot so I spent a good 15-20 years converting and smashing rebels over and over.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish we could get ideas for North African countires. Berber ideas are really weak and bad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

I'm totally having schadenfreude at Muscovy for failing though. gently caress those attrition assholes.

That's not what that word means.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always been easy to be too aggressive as Austria and make all the electors hate you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

It's actually been something I've been wanting to do for a year and a half. Finally got some time to bite into my backlog for this patch.

I laughed out loud the first time I played new Ethiopia and got that really early +3 adviser event. I couldn't even afford a single +1 at the time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apoffys posted:

Presumably they want to keep "primitives" weak enough that European powers can easily colonize/crush them, to keep the game more or less moving along historical lines, but they don't want to include all the depressing reasons why the natives were so weak and ripe for conquest. If they didn't give the American natives severe penalties and still kept the worst of plagues and genocides out of the game, the first Europeans to arrive in the Americas would probably find something like this waiting for them:

I always thought it would be cool if Sunset Invasion converted games not only had the 100% tech cost Americans, but they also played like Iberians and GB and would aggressively attack Europeans/North Africans/ETC to try and funnel trade back to the New World.

One of the versions of that ridiculous Byzantine escape mod lets you do that, and it's awesome.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how the heck do I escape Greece as Byzantium. So far I've managed to no-CB war Ragusa, annex them, vasaslize OPM Bosnia and return all their cores, then annex what was left over of Serbia. Naples got released due to a war where Aragon lost a ton of prestige, so I attacked them too. Unfortuantely they got allies last second so I was only able to take one province. Then I got coalitioned by all of Italy and declared on.

I don't know where else I can go. Maybe no-CB Connaught or something insane like that and wait for Ottomans to declare to get a 'free' hilariously huge capital switch? I don't even know if that would work. Urbino being a vassal at the start now sucks because that was one of my favorite provinces to hop into the HRE with as various countries.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yashichi posted:

If you're going to no CB do it on an orthodox country. Ragusa is catholic so all the nearby Italian minors will hate you.

Thanks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Don't leave Greece. Just get alliances with both Austria and Poland and wait for the right time to declare on them.

That's basically what I did as Albania and The Knights, too. The Ottomans are strong but they have terrible allies, get enough big powers on your side and you can just ignore the seas and take over the balkans.

I'm trying to do New World Byzantium without using that OP mod :troll:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Donald Duck posted:

I was under the impression that you could core a province next to your vassals? I'm guessing this is part of the interesting "overseas" mechanics that happen around this area.

They have to core the provinces next to it, first.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorelab posted:

Where is it? I haven't been able to find it.

It's a checkmark on province view

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Whats the story behind Jan Mayen? They were a country in northern Germany in one of my custom nation starts.

It's the EU4 version of the secret bear joke.

One thing I don't really like about custom nations is that it reminds me a lot of the ruler designer from CK2, which is usually really cool and I like to use it to customize my dynasty or sometimes do something silly like Muslim Tribal Ireland (don't do that, anyone you make a count will somehow make the church his primary title and become feudal and then they hate your guts. the player can't easily do it themselves, though.), but there's a million people in this thread who are like 'so i started in 1444 as a custom nation owning the entirety of the english channel with 10% discipline and 20% morale as traditions but i'm having trouble with france! what do i do?' and it's just like, wow.

Custom Nation <massive european blob> is the Mongol Jain of EU4.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wow, my guys sure sucked at fighting for having +15% discipline. I guess I should be waiting around at speed 5 more, but it just gets so old. Can I only launch automatic conquistadors in the Americas?

Generals, tactics, and base shock/fire/whatever modifiers seem to be the strongest. So staying as far ahead as you can in mil tech and keeping high AT goes a long way. Having super discipline and morale doesn't mean much if you are massively out of date or you roll like a 0 to some dude's 2 + 6 shock phase.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonbon posted:

They'll join on your side. At least that's been the case for me.

:stare: this changes so much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried so hard to get Orthodox Zealots to finally revolt, and then I get called into a war by the AI and I really dont want to lose them as an ally. Then they immediately pull back all their troops to smash the rebels. :negative:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frontspac posted:

Why didn't you turn on fort maintenance before they occupied the province?

The cool thing about iron man is that you can't pause during an autosave, so if you hit space while the game is saving you usually miss a few days. So I turned the maintenance back on like the day the army arrived. (I was Ragusa fighting Naples)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nothing to seehere posted:

Have you embraced the Counter-Reformation? I believe doing so makes you immune to conversion by centres of reformation, so if you haven't and all your neighbours have, good luck.

It doesn't.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

The whole fleet annihilation thing seems a bit extreme though. Every war starts with an all or nothing fleet wipe out. You either win the initial naval battle, or your entire fleet is wiped out. 2 fleets enter, 1 fleet leaves. I don't know if this is historical or not, but I'd love to see a bit more balance between fleets being totally wiped vs ships running away to the nearest port to repair.

Ever heard of the Spanish Armada? :smugdog:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A halfway decent Muscovy/Novgorod player can steamroll the Polish-Lithuanians anyway. If you're quick you can be a dirty bastard and vassalize LO in a war, then spend time smashing Novgorod and maybe Kazan. Then once you integrate, with any luck, you're either stronger than the Poles anyway or they have hosed around fighting Hungary/Brandenburg instead of the TO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

Yeah forts are great, although I think there's still some room for refinement there. Moving around between provinces that have 2-3 forts neighboring them is still a bit wonky sometimes and every once in a while I get into a situation where it feels like I should be able to get by (just in terms of where my guys are on the map, not that I think the mechanic's broken or anything) but can't. And I'd love a diary about the design process as well. I got a friend of mine into CK2 and we talked a lot about how neat all the systems and mechanics are and how you even go about combining Sims with Civ.

I really hate situations where you have two forts in a row, and the second fort somehow blocks movement to the first, so you have to take a huge detour around their country to siege a fort so you can siege the actual closest fort to your nation.

• Locked thread