Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I accidentally ran a vanilla observer game last night (meant to test a mod but forgot and didn't notice it wasn't on) which ended up with the Ottomans well-off (they even controlled Rome!) and Russia having nice borders.

Maybe that game was just lucky or something? :shrug: It's kind of tempting to just run vanilla observer games every night for like a week, take shots of the map at the end and then overlay all the results and see what the most common elements are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You know, might be good if some of these options had some alternative penalties for folks who don't have the relevant DLC.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How can I best coax rebels to actually progress and take over more provinces? I had revolutionary rebels pop up in the 1600s, and the game told me that if they won, they'd turn my realm into a constitutional republic. I've got Common Sense but haven't played as England yet, so I haven't yet gotten to play with Parliamentary mechanics. I really want to check them out and I guess a constitutional republic would be a good way to go about that, so how do I get those rebels to do things?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Node posted:

I haven't had a single Thirty Years War happen since Common Sense came out :(. I miss them. Catholics always severely outnumber the Protestants.
I've had a stalemate result in the Peace of Westphalia, after which Protestant Brandenburg was elected emperor and just kept getting reelected and reelected over and over.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alans, they mercenaries of unmatched skill.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 12, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Contingency Plan posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion what to call my Ottoman eastern america colonial nation?

Garbî Ülkesi, if you can fit the appropriate marks in? I don't know Ottoman Turkish, but that old Ottoman map of North America that's been floating around on the net recently had the English colonies as İngliz Cumhurunun Ülkesi, “The Country of the English People” with Google Translate telling me "Ülkesi" was the "Country" part of that name. They also had the Western Sioux on the map as Siyu-yu Garbî, while the Eastern Sioux were Siyu-yu Şarkî, so I'd guess that Garbî means (or meant, if the Turkish language reforms did something later on) "Western".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

God help me, I'm being triggered.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh my god I don't think I've looked at MEIOU & Taxes since it was first released for EU4.

and check out all their Native Americans in North America!

The one upshot is that I recall in EU3's MEIOU, England started off culturally in the Occitan group, and they seen to've dropped that now, at least.

On the other hand, they don't seem to have done much to colonial regions to offset all the extra provinces they've added:

although they did add, for some odd reason

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

Caliphornia

Also United Sheiks, Allahska and Infidel Castro. I forget what I called Canada.

You forgot Allahbama.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

But then you inherit their colonial nations which are the wrong color.

This is a sin in the eyes of God. :dawkins101:
The only wrong color for colonial nations is the default one.

Every CN should be a distinct color on the map which contrasts sharply with all its neighbors, even other CNs of the same parent country.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

I never tried a game as something like the USA or Brazil. End-game will probably involve invading Europe, so that might be fun :getin:
If you're playing as Brazil, it's only right that you conquer Portugal and bring it back into the fold.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

I'm looking forward to Protestant Syncretism.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Parliaments are tolerable as a bigger country if you cheese it a bit and make sure to assign seats to low-development countries. The cost of swaying MPs varies with the development of provs, so while a high-development province might require, I dunno, 40 dip points to sway, a low-development province will ask for 4.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bavaria is light blue in Victoria/2. This is just the prep work to make it easier to convert EU4 to V3.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Poil posted:

Brittany has a colony in South America. It has +35 settlers from technology, -20 from treaty of tortillas, -30 quarantine for a total of -15 growth but it's still growing quickly. Is the AI cheating with the colonist percentage? It's growing like crazy.
If they have a colonist there, the colony will still get spurts of growth from that, even if there is a steady trickle downwards from modifiers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't get why they hate Byzantium so much anyway. It's not like it was ever particularly easy to play as them. It's fun to play as the Romans. But the start keeps becoming more and more of a ridiculous old-Albania tier pile of garbage to play through
Have you ever dealt with the community on the Paradox forums? A month watching the discussions on the CK2 section of the forums will make you want to create a device with a big red button and a sign above that reads "PRESS BUTTON TO PLAY AS ROMANS" but then when they press the button a comically large boxing glove pops out and socks whoever pushed the button in the face.

Replace "Romans" with "Nazi Germany" if you go to the Hearts of Iron boards instead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's not explicitly said in the patch notes, but American culture also got revised with 1.14. I know this matters to a lot of you, so it seemed important to draw it to your attention.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I think the cossacks might have gotten a little too enthusiastic about Catholicism.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Node posted:

What this guy is saying, forever. You are doing words wrong.

Sorry you can't appreciate sophisticated pluralii, scrub. :smug:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

kharaa posted:

e: perkoinen?
He's a fine member of the Finnish Winter Olympics team!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Okay, I hosed up here. Non 8 bit river map? It would consistently generate a 'randomized' actual New World, where North and South America had random climates and province names, but historical shape. Sadly, it wasn't 'useful', as most of the time it would plop my custom tiles smack dab in the middle of North America. (Excuse the crater map, it was in rough draft state here)
I found when working on rnw tiles that if you accidentally punch in a tile's dimensions larger than they actually are- like if you told the game a 1x1 tile was 10x10- it'd fill in all the extra blank space beyond where the tile actually has data with the vanilla map.

And remember, river maps are in indexed mode. What program are you using to work on your tiles?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I need to count my land/sea tiles myself? Isn't this why we made computers?! :qq:
PRO PARADOX MAPMAKER NOSCOPE_420 TIP: Make sea and land provinces on different layers. I know GIMP, which I used, has a neat feature with Colors->Info->Colorcube Analysis which counts all the colors used on a layer. I suspect other programs have something similar. If you make land and sea provs on separate layers, you can count up the number of provs easily by just making the program quickly count the number of unique colors used on the layer.

Of course, you'll still have to list the RGB values of each sea_province individually, but at least you'll get your count quickly that way.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

This is looking pretty good but what's up with the blobby sea tiles? :( all the Paradox tiles are like that too, it looks really incongruous compared to the tiles in the rest of the game.
The revised RNW generator eschewed the algorithmic thing the previous generator did in favor of premade tiles- except when it comes to the open sea, where the game then auto-generates sea provinces so that all the tiles can be stitched together without having them all fit inside really blatant rectangles. The algorithm thing also bleeds over into the bordering premade sea provinces, but only there. If you look at Fintilgin's tile above, you'll see that there's a coastal sea province in the north that still has straight lines- it doesn't touch where the RNW random open-water sea provs are, and so doesn't have that weird blobiness going on.

quote:

I'm glad you guys are working on new tiles though. I like the foundations for the new Random New World, but the lack of variety and the fact nearly all of them are small meant I turned RNW off again after like 2 games.
It was a fun time figuring it all out when it was still in beta and the generator itself was still being tweaked. The early iterations of the shaders were super-weird and sometimes cast smaller islands under a shroud of eternal shadow.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 21, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lori posted:

I love this.
I loved making names for the revised RNW. No one's mentioned the Hekawi tribe yet, but I'm very happy that got in too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of goon mods, I've finally sorta finished my own. Or at least made it functional enough to release. I rebalanced the development of the entire world according to their historical values, added a system for dynamic population and economic growth, as well as an administrative system to deal with the fact that China now has over 9000 development. (Though China is just the hardest hit, every state will feel its effects, unless you decide to disable it at the start of the game.) Plus a few other things which you can check out by following the link if you want to.

- Because there's no point in conquering India if there aren't a ton of Indians to oppress.

Historical Balance Mod
Athens: Less developed than Darfur.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Colonial range guy has given me just the reach I needed to start my colonial empire in several games. He's the best.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I wonder if you could make decent continents by zooming way in on real islands and then tweaking them a little. Geography is fractal, right?
tileofa1 in-game is literally just Belle Isle with a couple minor squiggles added in.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

For me it was the point where i realised i would need to make like 500 individually rgb coloured provinces and link them up in a text file which did it.
You don't need to link the land provinces, though. You only need to define water provinces. The RGB values for individual land provinces are only used if you're defining unique geographic features or modifiers, like
code:
strait = {
	from = { 8 40 0 }		# land province
	to = { 24 158 165 }		# land province
	through = { 115 207 255 }	# sea province
}
and
code:
river_estuary_modifier = { 247 69 165 }
And even then, it's just picking out what the RGB value of the land provs in question. There's no need to enter in each and every land province's RGB value at the beginning of the file.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Surely you need to name the provinces etc
No, not at all! That's what the files Europa Universalis IV\map\random\RandomLakeNames.txt, RandfomLandNames.txt and RandomSeaNames.txt are for. The game will randomly assign province names for you. If you want, yeah, you can specify names for provs (either land or sea), with a line like
code:
province_names = {
	"hypotheticaland" = { 1 2 3 } # rgb value of specific province you want named
}
but that's entirely optional, and I never bothered with it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This game really makes me wish I had taken some of those European history classes they offered in high school and college.
I bought EU3 when I was in high school and now I have a bachelor's in history and earn enough to be considered 'poor' by the federal government.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Are there any plans to at least rebalance monarchies so they're not downright inferior government forms at least? I personally don't mind regencies, but monarchies have a lot of downsides where other gov forms feel like they only have perks.
Republicanism is the light, and Johan wants us all to understand this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

What the hell is the crazy rear end story behind this completely ridiculous image?

It's a little thing called history, look it up sometime. Jeez.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Gooniversalis mod is fun, but there's a few weird bugs (or intended things maybe?) here and there. Notably, why is constitutional monarchy unlockable at the first admin tech? It feels cheesy to get a parliament in the 15th century.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ah, fair enough.

On an even more minor note though, why was Occitania removed/never implemented? I just did an mp game with some other goons, and noticed Toulouse's flag was different, dug through the mod's files and there's still a few traces off Occitania there but nothing that can actually show up in-game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Ottos got a massive stealth buff:

Or I suppose it's actually a reversal of an earlier nerf.
You should see the Turks and grogs getting upset on the Paradox forums. It's been good stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Konig posted:

I just realised I have no idea why the paradox forums love Byzantium so much beyond "they're an empire". Does anyone have an explanation?
They're both True Romans and noble warriors who held off the Musselman hordes for eight centuries.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I swear to got monarchs better get portraits in this DLC.

Koramei posted:

All I see us getting with this is every single Asian/African/Indian country having about 3 portraits to choose from between them. Please no.
It'll be Latin America in HoI4, but even moreso.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chickpea Roar posted:

And a ton of extra useless blue stuff.
France can always use more content, imo.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

Rights of MAN, YES !!! TAKE THAT FEMINISTS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Poil posted:

That only works for monarchies, not for theocracies and not for republics. And only for as long as your dynasty lives. Queen dies with no heir? Too bad, hope you're not playing iron man.

Making women more of a thing for republics would mean rewriting/tweaking the election events, I think, along with redoing a bunch of country files to cram in more feminine names (unless you're okay with women leaders in a Republic of Spain being named only "Ana" or "Maria Teresa").

• Locked thread