Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Crows Turn Off posted:

My problem with letting Kansas serve as a warning is that they don't actually seem to be learning anything from it. Despite the objective failures in Kansas, other states are still incorporating similar fiscal policies, and talking about how good these policies are.

I'm not sure the idea "if it gets bad enough it'll change" actually works.

Yeah the goal should be winning it back, and then once it has been won back, punishing the places that voted over 80% for brownback by cutting funds as much as possible, while rewarding the rest of the state. Thats a good revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

You're talking about funneling money to Lawrence and Johnson County, the rest of the state fears this above all else.

I'm talking about the letting those parts die.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's good for Kansans to die; but I don't think they should suffer. Should I support the current Kansan regime or should I support regime change?

Die in the sense of choked off of funds, put as little economic development in them as possible, keep the highways good, but let the county roads be dirt, cut farm insurance.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The best solution at this point is to quietly cut off all roads leading out of Kansas and to loop them around into roads leading back into Kansas. After that, they can just announce all airports have been closed to save precious tax dollars. Once that's done, all that's left is to watch.

Who do we repopulate it with?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I think my favorite is the guy accusing liberals of deliberately sabotaging their economy. I swear some of them sound like they could be mouthpieces for Maduro's government in Venezuela.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article88780642.html

There's this trend of state governments passing laws to prevent local governments from being reasonable and actually trying to counteract the dumb poo poo they pass. This isn't even about raising taxes, poo poo like this is specifically designed to force governments to slowly cannibalize themselves and reduce the effectiveness of services, which is then used as justification for further cuts. Laws like this fly under the radar compared to the crazy poo poo but they're far more insidious and have long reaching consequences beyond blatantly unconstitutional stunts.

Seeing the Kansas Policy Institute openly lie in that article gets my blood boiling. Seriously there are times when I really wouldn't mind if the communists they claim are really at the end of day taking over did, just so they would be put into a camp and be able to pay for being such worthless creatures.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Even if it gets vetoed I am still laughing at seeing this go through.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Neolib, the polls have him within a percentage point. Look I know you'd like to never ever have to hear from flyover gomers again> But guess what? plenty of them want something beyond getting raped by the GOP. Now I know that also means they want less gun control and more workers protections which you cannot stand. But then the party doesn't need you.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

There is no enthusiasm from any of my conservative co-workers about this election, the only people I hear talking about it intended to vote for Thompson. Anecdotal for sure and who knows what the sticks are like but first signs are encouraging

No, you see I am a very serious person who lives on the coast and knows that all people in Kansas are toothless gomer neanderthals who would never have the inclination to vote for anyone that wasn't screaming about killing gays and immigrants.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

in their defense, his thompson's twitter bio doesn't mention he's a democrat and he's working much harder to tie his opponent to brownback than to trump. e:or so i read

THere is no defense. This is a fuckup of the National party. Time to purge the so called wonks like Pardicas, make it feel like 1937.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I think it's a bit early for that. IDK if this seat was winable and you don't want to go all in on a seat that isn't winable this early.
Sorry, but no, Perez claimned he was going to do as Ellison said. Fight as though every loving election mattered.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Maybe this race will help; with fundraising for just that.

Yeah, maybe instead the people responsible for this should resign. Especially when their promise for becoming the head of the DNC was that they "Could get things done". ALso they promised a 50 state strategy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

At least the Kansas legislature is willing and able to pass tax increases (which Brownback vetoed) so it could theoretically be turned around after he leaves.

Our dumbass constitution requires a 3/4ths super-duper majority to raise taxes, so as long as oil companies can buy 26% of either house in the Oklahoma legislature, then once you cut their taxes you can never, ever, ever get that back :shepicide:

In all seriousness, how long till Oklahoma goes bankrupt?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Firesale them off to whatever shady characters he can find to buy them, shrug any obligations off on now-defunct corporate entities, and abscond with the loot while refusing to pay his employees/contractors.

So then Oklahoma turns into Detroit?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

We're actually doing kinda okay now.

We managed to stop them looting our art at least.

I should have said 1970s Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

But what's Kansas' excuse

Graying state as well as being largely abandoned by the dems.

• Locked thread