Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is gonna own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't know if Zelda maker can be a thing see Graal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is no way they aren't turning this into a cash cow with new tile sets, hth

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

those are genuinely my ideas from way back when i saw lakitu in SMB1. i thought it would be cool to become a cloud.

plus I had suburban world for car mario:

you can see it planned down the bottom.

this would have been badass mine carting all the way.

I'm glad of this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't buy Mario maker then lol. Just lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Want to fight that lion shyguy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I want to make levels 10 year old me would think are cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

Really, Yoshi games should have been slapping shyguy masks on all sorts of poo poo. It makes sense.

:agreed:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

More of those parts where you hit a turtle shell into a hole and it hits a bunch of blocks for you.

Yes!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you explain 'Boss of Mini Fortress' because :eyepop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it would be cool if he tried to avoid you jumping on him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the physics isn't exactly like any mario game but you can wall jump

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ometeotl posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT :siren:

owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish someone around here would break street date

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is literally no way they aren't going to add extra level features and items and stuff to the game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i wonder if you can play sounds on your phone and that will be good enough for it to record

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they are going to add a metric gently caress ton of items to the game over time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

You do realize that "doesn't understand" and "doesn't agree with" are different things, right? I understand exactly what you meant. I'm just saying that in this case I don't think it's the right opinion.

A game about content creation should give the players as many tools as possible. More tools for creating content is always better, unless adding more of them somehow makes the other stuff less good for some meta reason like developer resources being spread too thin or something. Why is more always better in this case? Because the content creation isn't what you're scored on. It's not the "game" part of the game. There are no stakes in this part. There is no challenge to overcome here. The "game" part of Super Mario Maker is the part where you're controlling Mario and trying to successfully reach the end of the level without dying.

Super Mario Maker actually isn't the game itself. Super Mario Maker is the set of tools level makers will use to create situations where the players work around the limitations imposed on them by the level maker.

wtf

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Saying "limitations breed creativity" is dumb as gently caress in this context when the entire point of the game is to be a big open sandbox for players to make Mario levels.

The point of content creator games like this isn't to "challenge" the content creator into being creative with a narrow set of creation tools, it's the opposite. You give the person access to as much poo poo as possible in order for them to be able to figure out how they can creatively impose their own limitations on themselves when designing. That's where the fun comes from with these games. "I'm going to make an interesting level using only bricks" "I'm going to make an interesting level that is fun to play but doesn't have any 'ground' you can stand on at all" or "I'm going to make a level that constantly keeps Mario invincible but must still be challenging and fun" and so on.

I'm having a hard time understanding what's so hard to grasp about this idea. Maybe it's that in that case, the amount of fun you can have would be proportionate to how creative you are, which is a lot to ask of a lot of people who play video games I know.

Lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was a long post

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My biggest issue with this game is it's somehow going to have to share gaming with MGS5. Why did the two hypest releases of the year have to come a week apart?

Its a tough life for us

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i asked a friend who used to work at best buy if he knew anyone that ever broke street dates because if they do already then i might as well get the game now but apparently if you scan a game that isnt out yet it either doesn't ring up or rings up for $9999

rip

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vookatos posted:

I dunno, I actually feel like bosses are pretty weak. Being able to just go past SMB3 and SMW Bowsers, along with Bowser Jr. defeats their purpose, and basically turns them into another obstacle. Spawning Bowsers everywhere has its potential, but I would like some "Boss mode", where it would lock the camera and not let you progress until you kill them.

my solution: don't just run past them, its a single player game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but yea boss mode would be cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mario world had some of the best art of any SNES game and some of the worst

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FPzero posted:

Super Mario World's graphics are a mixed bag and could have been made better if they used the palette rows to their fullest.

This is SMW's basic palette. Look at how much black space for unused colors there are! Since I've done SMW hacking in the past, I can explain a little bit about how Nintendo set these palettes up.

Starting from the top row, rows 0-7 are for foreground/background objects. SMW's graphics in general use only the left half of each palette row. Rows 0 and 1 are for backgrounds exclusively and can cycle colors based on what dropdown box settings you have selected on the right. Rows 2 and 3 are the same way except for the major foreground elements like grassland tiles, cave tiles and castle tiles. Rows 4-7 are generally used for the variety of special objects like pipes, coins, cement blocks, question blocks, etc, that are found throughout the levels.

Rows 8-F are for sprites. Row 8 is Mario's palette and anything that needs to be gold, tan or brown, like keys and Monty Moles. Row 9 is most castle enemies, bullet bills, basically anything gray. Rows A-D are for yellow, blue, red, and green sprites respectively, and make up the majority of the sprites you'll see in the game. The last two rows, E-F are special palette rows in that they can cycle depending on what enemies are needed. Dino Rhinos, Big Boo, and a few other special sprites use these cycling palettes. Bowser also uses a palette from here but due to how Mode 7 works, that palette row gets loaded into the foreground rows somewhere in Row 0-7 because he's actually a Layer 1 object.

Changing any colors in Rows 4 through D will permanently change those colors for every single level in the game. They are "Shared Palettes." By the way, those colors on the right half of rows 2, 3, 4, 9, A, and B are used exclusively for the berries that Yoshi can eat in those few levels. That's all they're used for.

When making custom levels, it's actually very easy to change palettes and not explode the rest of the game's colors. Clicking that checkbox that says "Enable Custom Palette" will make it so that level's palette can be modified freely without affecting the rest of the game's Shared Palette. For example:

Using a custom palette and expanding upon the original game's palette and graphical work, you can make things much more detailed and colored while still retaining a "Mario" feel.

thats really cool thank you for that, I always wondered how custom levels were made

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do wish someone would put out something like this on Steam, would own p hard

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao youtube stars

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nintendo is doing a bad thing

but still, youtube stars

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wouldn't putting Mario maker levels and tutorials and LPs on YouTube help sell the game? It's not like a Bioware title or Metal Gear or whatever where the story is why people buy it. It's a toolset to make and share stuff

Nintendo should ease off

they would rather dick some people over for youtube pennies

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is Iwata's final present to us. Do not fear if your levels are sub-par as long as you are having fun. That's all he ever wanted his whole life. :)

wow that made me really sad

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nftyw posted:

Nintendo is going to have to filter any stage with 9/11, towers, or terrorist in the stage name for like a month.

"memorial to the fallen" where there is a tower of brick blocks filled with goombas and then you hit a P switch and all of the koopahs fall out of the sky

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes please

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ChibiSoma posted:

"Super Mario Maker: Kaizo...I'm Already a Demon"

This, please. Make this the title

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tamayachi posted:

Super Mario Maker: The Phantom Princess (Daisy)

you guys are on point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you make it so levels can be tagged or categorized

like either freeform tags goons can choose or like difficulty levels or something

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those are really cute marios

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for this video it was absolutely awesome to watch!

there is a related video by the same guys where Miyamoto goes through good level design as well

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
art book

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/amaj/booklet/SuperMarioMakerBooklet_sp.pdf

• Locked thread