Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello, Mario Maker looks great and I really hope I don't die before the game comes out, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Clown Car's eyes even close when you're facing it :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Szmitten posted:

Yo I hope you like Super Mario Land and really long levels that try to circumvent length restrictions by having s-shaped courses and warp pipes because that's what I'm going to be doing.

Being able to recreate old levels with like SMW tile sets sounds awesome to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Metroid Maker is pretty much impossible. There would probably be two or three great mazes in the sea of poo poo. Zenda Dungeon Maker, on the other hand...

Can't wait to save Princess Zenda

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh8JP6cwJs

This was in the related videos. Yoshi walking on lava? :confused:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BexGu posted:

Even worst: The game comes out on Sept 11. How fast until some one makes a two towers level?

Implying this won't happen anyway

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

drat they added in drum rhythms for the castle stages in SMW that you normally couldn't bring Yoshi into. Baaallllllllllllllleeeeeeerrrrrr

Is there any detail they HAVEN'T thought of? :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can't lock the camera from scrolling to the left in SMB stages, that's one.

I don't think that was overlooked though. I think that was removed cause it might not play nice with everything else. Plus honestly I just don't think it's a fun mechanic and they chose to leave that out for that reason

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Noone cares that it's not an exact replica of the original games (I lied, lots of people care and their purchase is entirely contingent on feature xyz being 1:1 to each game, they're dumb) but I do wish they'd give you more freedom to play with the structure a little - not just through older features like locking the screen scroll or SMB castle loops or whatever but newer features like red coins and NSMB2 coin rush or even just being able to put the flagpole on the far left rather than the far right or something.

Keep in mind we still haven't seen everything Mario Maker has to offer yet. They said as much during the Treehouse. There still might be tons of features and toys we haven't found out about yet.

I'm still hoping for something that allows me to basically make DKC Minecart stages besides those moving platforms

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

NOA was doing a promotion with Facebook where they got Facebook employees to run an internal level design contest or something; here's the winning level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPmZQPMmPQ

Here's another Facebook level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1uGJoDkeY

That first stage is super clever. It's almost puzzle platforming instead of just "getting through a crazy kaizo level". And they took the time to make the level feel like an actual place with the airship and having to go through a little mission to get the cape to fly up to the airship.

:wtf: at the ear shattering noise at the end of the second video

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

Maybe they could include sequential items, Super/Fire and Super/Flight.

Apparently a Nintendo rep at a Best Buy demo said there were no plans for DLC, at least for now. Has it been confirmed whether there'll ever DLC or free content updates?

They said that about Smash too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:sigh:

edit: Stuff unlocks over the course of DAYS? :psyduck: Just give us all the tools AT THE BEGINNING :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

VideoGames posted:

i truly think this is a benefit. like lessons almost. get good with the basics then start on the advanced.

gently caress that. Give me all the tools from the start Nintendo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Motto posted:

Yeah, plus if you're impatient it's just a matter of dicking around for five minutes, changing the system clock, repeat.

Ah, the ol' Animal Crossing method. Didn't even think of that

edit: I am impatient. it's a level editor :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think one of the cooler features of this game is that you can move around and add decorations. Like just the stuff in the background that has no use other than to just be little background objects. I fear I'm going to spend more time making a stage look pretty than a functional :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wasn't really thinking about that, but this is the exact kind of level I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRcEcffvVnU

It's not an inescapable death trap, but if you gently caress up and do the wrong thing, you pretty much have to suicide, or use the "start over" menu option that I didn't even know existed until now.

EDIT: Starting at about 2:13 in that video

I think that second level is really cool. It's not meant to be a typical Mario stage. It's basically a puzzle platformer like Trine with Mario physics. I think that kind of level is fine cause you can instantly start over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has anyone posted an available Super Mario Maker "bestiary" or known exclusions? I can only imagine that those little yellow smiley ramps from SMW are likely out, and I'm pretty sure keys from SMW are also out.

Hopefully this is stuff they add to DLC in the future. Slopes, keys to secret exits, making your own map world so you can make your own full games for friends, those speaker boxes so you can have your own text for stories, etc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Mario All Stars versions look worse, especially Mario Bros 3 :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

J-Spot posted:

That's a loving dumb position to take when Youtube videos can serve as a great way to advertise levels that people will then go and actually play. They should at least set up some sort of way to queue levels up from a website to play later.

Even if they did I'm sure they'd gently caress it up somehow like they did with smash (3 minute limit, locked at 30 fps and 720p), so really you're just better off shelling out for a capture card

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is the book thingie part of the normal physical preorder or is there some special edition I'm not seeing?

The book just comes with the game, the only "special edition" I believe is the version that comes with the amiibo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

nftyw posted:

No stages with Big Bertha constantly threatening to eat big mario while water level rises and falls with vertical auto-scrolling and hammer bros suit/all smb3 variants, poo poo game 0/10 gg nintendo

I do wish being able to put water into the overworld was a thing though, apparently you can't? Like almost not even for gameplay reasons, just for decoration being able to place water would be nice

SMM looks amazing and I'm getting it day 1 and it's going to be a blast probably, but there's obvious stuff missing. That's not an invalid complaint

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

What kind of levels is everyone planning on making?

It doesn't appear that levels can be long vertically. So the first thing I want to try is see if I can build a vertical level with doors that go to each "floor" and see if I can space out the rooms far enough that it doesn't break the illusion when the camera scrolls

DalaranJ posted:

I have designs on 8 different worlds for the SMB3 theme. You can't actually upload that many levels so maybe I'll trick ask other goons to make some too.

I'm also going to run a weekly 'contest'* to make levels with a certain gimmick.

*Except most contests involve judging and awards, whereas this contest is mainly just an excuse for a bunch of goons to make similar levels at the same time and then compare notes.

I think that's cool. It'll be a good way for goons to participate and sharing their levels without constantly having to exchange friend codes for levels or whatever. It's a good way to keep some kind of level exchange organized.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

That looks bad though

Yeah, I would say Bowser is one of the only things in that game that doesn't look that great. I think especially nowadays where we have a really great looking 3D Bowser model to compare it to. Bowser is also a really loving hard character to draw correctly. I think the problem with the Mario Maker SMW Bowser is they tried to make him how he looks currently instead of basing his full sprite off of his clown car sprite.

What happens if you put Mario Maker's bowser into the clown car? Does he get his original design back? Or any of his moves?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Game of the Year. Eat your heart out Fallout Bore

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's so many days between now and when the game comes out that I could die... before getting to play it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I know it's kind of easy to go "lol youtubers am i right folks" on here, but I think that situation is extra ridiculous considering he and a lot of the youtubers that currently have the game are playing review copies Nintendo themselves sent them.

Also wow that touch fuzzy, get dizzy effect. When I saw someone describe it as lazy I was like what does that even mean, and then I saw it in motion and yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The "Nintendo Creators Program" covers pretty much everything they publish or have published for the last while. I can't remember if it's automated or not but the tl;dr is you'll get strikes against your videos if you try to monetise them and you're not signed up to the program (ie revenue share).

I think there's some exceptions though. From what I can tell the Game Grumps and The Completionist for example aren't part of the program (because it sucks) and they are able to get away with it just fine. But then you have Projared there who is getting flagged. And some blame does lay on the youtubers too, since Nintendo gives full warning about it (which is why that one rant video Angry Joe did is so dumb), but on the other hand maybe make an exception for the youtubers you're literally giving review copies to

Edit: apparently Projared's issue is from trying to stream on YouTubes new stream service, so it could actually be an automated YouTube problem

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 31, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Playtonic Games SMM stream happening right now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

They seem to having someone actually competent playing right now

edit: They're also talking about how they designed the levels which is really cool. And how they teach the player how the stage works as you play it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Guys

3 days

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Eonwe posted:

can someone technical make an online planning sheet with all the blocks so I can plan out levels

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Flight-Filler-Quadrille-81060/dp/B004NRP15K/ref=lp_12901001_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1441849363&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Pencils-Wood-Cased-144-Count-14412/dp/B001DHXL5K
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...+tilset&imgrc=_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

There was a rumor that since reviews copies of the game counted as a separate game in Miiverse, that meant all the levels were stored on a separate server and are unavailable to players of the actual release. Did that turn out to be true?

The Completionist said this on a stream so yes, there were review servers and those will be wiped.

• Locked thread