Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Wait, why the gently caress is he doing all this when Batman technically killed the Joker? The only way their initial post revival rivalry worked is because Joker was still alive and out of all the people Batman should have been the one to either avenge him or save countless victims from putting down one stupid clown. Shouldn't he be happy he's nothing more than ash now?

Ville Valo posted:

Played for a couple hours tonight and really, really digging it. This is my first Arkham game (which is sad, as I'm a huge DC fan) and I love how I don't have to loot anything, there's no ammo or charges to keep track of, etc. Just move from one puzzle/fight to the next.

They telegraph the Knight's identity within the first meeting with him, though. That was kinda disappointing.

Yeah, it's rather obvious who he could be if you knew anything about comics, but it sort of doesn't work now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The most thought out thing about Origins was Cold Cold Heart.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

:agreed:

I really enjoyed CCH.

It's also kind of sad that it wasn't the main game and the Joker bait-and-switch wasn't a condensed and possibly better side DLC, but at least we got CCH as it was. It also makes me wonder if this means if any future Batman games would benefit from a more episodic case by case narrative instead of a giant open world brawl. It's likely cool when it works in Arkham Knight, but CCH felt like a more solid experience than City or Origins.

You could still work in progression from each case making Batman better his game or try out new tools as the villains and plots get more dangerous, but it could be told like B:TAS or Brave and the Bold where every night its a different freak that tests your skills to combat them from the usual gang of thugs on every rooftop.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 22, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TheJoker138 posted:

He's the one piece of casting I really hate. Well, him and Tara Strong's version of Harley Quinn. They should have just gotten the guy from TAS, unless he's dead or something. Speaking of Strong, has there ever been any confirmation on why Arleen Sorkin stopped doing the voice after the first game? I remember hearing rumors of money issues before City but never saw anything official on why she was replaced.

Well she's pushing 60 so it's probably the same reasons the late Michael Ansara wasn't in City, combination of age making the gig hell on your voice or it just didn't sound right for WB as well as they might not be that interested in the role anymore. Maybe they don't go through the hell Hamil continues to endure, but Sorkin likely just didn't want to do it after Asylum.

And Jesus did this game get run over in the Steam reviews. Almost no game ever dips below mixed into mostly negative.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

g-c posted:

Holy Christ this game has a lot of "jump scares " :|

Batman is about to sacrifice himself to stop Scarecrow. BLAST RADIUS INCREASED TO 1000 PERCENT. *Turns around* MISS ME BATS BANG

3 minutes later

Gordon is checking out these prisoners, turns around [BATMAN OUT OF NOWHERE]GORDON THERES SOMETHING YOU NEED TO SEE

That last one is there to show you what it's like to be Jim throughout his entire relationship with Bruce. When he wants to talk to you he's just there and when he's done he's gone.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

I stand corrected on Robin. Based on 2 ingame city stories, it sounds like Todd happened while the Asylum was completely abandoned, which means it was between origins and Asylum.

Well then no wonder he was a stand-offish dick that didn't want to rely on anyone. He just lost someone to the Joker and probably wasn't too keen on losing anyone else so gotta be as aloof and hostile as possible? So he manages to train Dick before Origins?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

I like Freeze because they keep having to invent reasons for him to be evil because, technically, by default he isn't and doesn't really have a reason to be unless given one.

Its not that hard when Gotham breeds people stupid enough to set off the guy with a goddamn freeze ray by the hundreds.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love the Riddler's reaction when you get the voice clip of him and start using it to solve puzzles.

How does that work?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Incredible they haven't said anything about making it up to their fanbase. No discount, no extra content, nothin'. That takes some balls.

Arkham Knight is the first game that really makes me want to dig into the challenge mode... and its also the first game to really gimp the experience. Baffling.

They were okay with running in and selling even challenge maps of all things in a $40 season pass for every version. They made a lot of different types of Bat family characters to play as with no where to play them in because this is first and foremost a batmoblie game. Stealth is baby mode easy and in a game partially about the scarecrow, you don't have to earn the "I don't want to play the game" fear take down button. Thugs also don't shoot at shadows and you don't really scare them anymore.

WB never cared if people got mad and could live with horrible bugs like rain inside of buildings, they just didn't anticipate steam refunds actually being able to hurt them.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

MinibarMatchman posted:

i'm glad steam refund is a thing that exists and this game was the sacrificial lamb to ensure maybe WB will loving QA test Mad Max.

That game may be far too into development to have any changes from Arkham Knight be applied to it, but seeing as there still isn't a steam page of Mad Max when WB is usually very eager to get several month preorders going, it makes me a little worried that their answer is going to be no more steam games.

But if it is just another Arkham Knight and they don't really cater to the PC version for the next several months, maybe WB's self exile from porting to Valve's store isn't the worst thing.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 20, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So a Battle of the Cowl game where you get to pick who you play as to be the heir to the throne and go around convincing/fighting the other rivals to the Bat Legacy. Oh who am I kidding, they'll pick someone specific and go from there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did I share this already? This is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2TiVdIjEtk

You'd be better off with the Red Letter Media criticism video, and even that still praises the game's story telling instead of the story itself in between screaming gently caress YOU to WB Games, the Batmobile and wishing Rocksteady actually tried to write a goddamn mystery for Arkham Knight if they wanted it be a shocking reveal. Well that and make the Knight be the central villain while Scarecrow is the aide-de-camp.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr E posted:

I just want a Nightwing game, he's my favorite :(.

General public doesn't knows poo poo about Bludhaven and no one wants to make a game about DC's Jersey. They could probably make up a lot of poo poo that no one would care to argue about, but it'd be putting in the work to make a digital Jersey and probably fall back into Final Crisis, Chemo destroying the city and Battle of Bludhaven territory. But it would be interesting if they showed Grayson between his cop life and his suit life, if anyone ever wanted to put in the time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
He's already self programmed into his own mind several alternate batsonas that will do the job for him, if not more violently than others. Actually that would be an interesting else world, Bruce Wayne settles down and actually starts a family like Alfred always wanted, but occasionally disappears while a certain Zur-En-Arrg beats the poo poo out of crime. Is it him, is the Bruce we see just a look-alike to play the part while our Bruce never stops being batman? Read on to find out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm probably the unpopular opinion in this case, but I really don't like the whole "Batman has contingency plans for literally everyone" thing, because that's basically giving him a superpower which I feel goes against the character.

Is it fine for Batman to have some Kryptonite if Superman goes rogue? Sure. Should he have, like, a super suit that has miniature stars implanted into the knuckles that let him beat the crap out of Superman in a head on fight? No way.

I can live with like a little black book of plans that he hasn't fully enacted yet or isn't sure he should really do, but preplanning isn't a problem. It's the scope and range that writers go with it that turns him from having a good selection of contingencies, which is entirely debatable as we're in a world where Gods, Monsters and Aliens exist and have hosed poo poo up on earth multiple times, to being able to predict anything and everything. Batman should have plans, but not perfect precognition of when to use them or has put them in place so far ahead of time that there isn't even time to be problem.

Of course, the flip side of this is that more experienced Batman is in the narrative, the odder it is to ever find him completely off guard or not on the ball in some way. It's fine in video games or stories where its near Year One, but the older he gets, the more we expect him to have a selection tricks in his belt for just such an occasion.

As for something almost unrelated to Batman, there really should be a Shadow Of Mordor meets God of War style game for Wonder Woman.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hulk Krogan posted:

I really liked that one JLA comic where aliens attack and quickly overwhelm the Justice League because they somehow know all their weaknesses. Turns out they got a hold of Batman's secret "in case I need to take out the rest of Justice League" contingency plan.

Or JLA:Tower of Babel or the whole OMAC/Brother Eye. Batman's kind of like an overly competent intelligence agency, if anyone found out the secrets and data he has on everyone, even himself, poo poo can go very very south.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, you're right. I have no idea why they went with Tim, who is significantly younger than Dick and Barbara.

It isn't like Dick hasn't hosed her over before in his many relationships with seemingly every woman in DC. Tim's boring enough to not try anything.

Oh god, I don't even want to imagine what an Arkham version of Starfire would be. :gonk:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
How much more terrible would have been if the Knight was revealed to be Stephanie Brown?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That depends on the number of awkward scenes of the Arkham Knight flirting with Tim Drake in that version of the script.

Or switching between flirtatious and hostile to Batman. Maybe they could get a jab at the audience by having the Knight's mood to get sour and more violent as Batman is forced to rely on the Tank bits instead of the old fashioned punch and small gadget routine. "I thought you said excessive force only got people hurt, Old Man! How many people have you run over in that thing?!"

"I thought you were Batman, not Tank Man!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
No, but its pretty sad that MTV of all things predicted how Arkham Knight would go and why they needed to evacuate the city yet again. So you don't have to wonder how many people in Gotham get killed from the property damage alone.

Batman shouldn't be right next to Act of God in insurance terms like the Hulk.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And now that I think about it, It'd be funny to see a Who's on First situation from Steph being the mystery villain when the general public also has no idea who The Spoiler is either.

EDIT: In less joking terms, it'd also fit that the Arkham franchise exists as a nexus of old 52 continuity with the Killing Joke and Oracle still existing even in Knight. But there's probably contracts that Rocksteady signed with WB and DC that specifically say "No Cass or Steph at all".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 26, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Lol, "We know we absolutely were complicit in lying about PC performance but now we're really involved so look out!"

Yeah, I'll believe this fixed the PC version when I loving see it. You can promise whatever you want, but talk is cheap.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not a true Alfred mod unless they can add in doing chores at the Wayne household and solve all of Gotham's problems at the same time. But very good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well no wonder the PC version of AK was so bad, it's apparently still on the July 2012 build.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So how likely is it that with Pyg referencing "Mother" that any future Bat game is not only going to involve Damian somehow as the Ghost of Batman/Bruce Wayne, but of course, a war against a Lazarus fresh Talia?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 31, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If there is a BatGod they could at least show some interest in allowing you to go around Gotham, or at least some challenge maps, and combat very large numbers of enemies in groups. Any potential future Bat game needs to be focused on that so that it'll make going into Batman Inc. across the globe fun and then maybe a full Arkham style Justice League game where you take fully customizable squads of supers besides Bats into the field that much more enjoyable. There's a good chance to grow from Batman and all they need to do is focus on developing different combat styles between different characters that can really gel well together to bring it about.

Hell, I don't even mind if it has to shoe-horn in a Batman VS Superman final boss fight because DC won't stop bitching about cross-promotion. If that can unlock the Batman Inc. game allowing you to use Supes in the line up and lead to a JL game, fine. Use your Kryptonian strength to smash a square house into a circular mountain cave.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 4, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I do not like racing with the Batmobile at all. I'd rather the tank just fight poo poo and ram cars and not have to bother with really pointless AR races.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They could always go the origins routine so its just finding out Lex is a horrible rich rear end in a top hat and Superman doesn't really know the extent of his powers at this point. That way they can stay with the enemies that everyone knows while likely educating everyone, including the developers, of Superman's enemies outside of a Evil Bruce Wayne and some green alien robot. But a really doubt they'd let Superman be the Superman of old and it wouldn't be Man of Steel the video game yet again.

But at least a superman game wouldn't revolve entirely on forcing the new gimmick car into almost every part of the journey so it'd be going back to using your abilities to handle whatevers thrown at you. Here's another wave of drones, try out your new ice breath!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
With any luck, particularly positive buz on that will give them a major hint on where to take DC Arkham style video games. Or at least anything involving Batman post Arkham Knight. Sad thing is I'm expecting the DLC to be buggy as poo poo because its almost too good to be true.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chasiubao posted:

What if the Freeze fight is a tank fight where he just slaps treads on his already insanely bulky suit and just motors around Gotham :v:

Even better, his suit weaponry is so advanced that you have to take a trip to Lucius just to bust out the thermite shells and literal flamethrowers to be able to cut through the ice walls he puts up or tries to encase the batmobile in. One of the only villains that can basically fight the car on his own without any stupid bigger tank.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

l33t b4c0n posted:

I was speaking more ideologically that actually logistically - I know Steam prevents that. If you read the angry swarms of comments on Steam though , I've seen many people demanding refunds even for getting it free with a video card. I've been pissed about this game since launch, but I also understand I got the base game for free so I really can't feel entitled to anything.

It's still a hosed game either way and I don't think WB ever wanted to be this literal about this being how the batman dies because I don't think even one or two very good games can dig any potential future of this franchise out of the Knight hole they've buried themselves in. Even Unity eventually fixed itself to a stable yet boring form.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Shindragon posted:

Kinda doesn't help that alot of content is catered to the DLC which has been either short or race tracks. I mean I was pretty excited to see the Batman 89 costume and the Batmoblie, only for it to be just race tracks and the skin itself. The skin itself is awesome. The disappointment is the goddamn batmoblie is only useable for race tracks and can't be used in story mode. Something along the lines of the batmoblie isn't suited for advanced combat. I really hope that last dlc with the villeins won't be batmoblie fights.

Goddamn still bitter about Deathstroke. All this build up and you just punch him off.

Bullshit. :colbert:

edit: The funny part, I hate Jason Todd, but I thought the AK stuff was pretty neat. He felt different enough not to be a reskin.

Yeah, but they could have easily avoided a stupid mystery of one suspect if they never even bothered to advertise it outside of a New Adversary or actually presented more people it could have been. Arkham Knight, outside of that and Jason being particularly stupid in this story, is a decent enemy design and idea.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's a little customized European car that can drive on walls and peashot tanks to death.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Would the game have done better if tank eventually became a robot so you could have a true metal on metal slug fest with Riddler?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, he's already basically in robot body armor at this point so why not Bat Mech as well? If only to watch Riddler have the greatest melt down ever when Batman pulls a loving robot car out of his hat in the fight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Djarum posted:

Them doing a Superman game is the worst kept secret in gaming. It is like Bethesda was doing a Fallout 4.

I do look forward to seeing what they have in store for a Superman game since it is a hard character to translate into gaming.

In theory it's not hard if you take the Hulk Ultimate Destruction route and let the player feel super all the way through the game, but also make them care about not causing collateral damage on earth and saving people. Of course, any Superman game now would probably have DC sitting on your chest until you make it more like the current incarnations or like the current films as "audiences don't like a Steve Reeves nice guy. They want Prototype".

Also I don't trust Rocksteady right now to not go half crazy with races coming off from Arkham Knight either. Fly through the hoops to earn Super Points to remember all your super powers!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just worried they'll somehow gently caress up old content. AK's destroyed my expectations for Rocksteady to not set even old and finish content on fire somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

Again, a Chinese company is in charge of this remaster, not Rocksteady.

My bad, the rocksteady still in the credits had me confused that WB squeezed this out of them.

• Locked thread