Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Again, the identity of the Arkham Knight was spoiled months ago:

The Arkham Knight is going to be Joker's cloned corpse of brainwashed Jason Todd, hypnotized by the Mad Hatter into believing he is Talia al Ghul, surgically planted in a HARDAC body replica of Barbara Gordon, enhanced with meditation techniques passed down by Lady Shiva(really a fake imitation created by Poison Ivy) that have rewritten its personality to mimic Damien, transformed by the Lazarus Pit and the treatments of the ghost of Professor Strange into a perfect copy of Solomon Wayne that believes he is the heir of the mantle of Batman's future Cadmus project clone-child's illegitimate ward, Man-Bat, only he's gone into a fugue state where he believes he is actually a retconned character from a previous version of the universe(before Ultimate Crisis), Red Hood, who has a secondary backup personality in the case of subconscious tampering by the Court of Owls, which has prepared for the situation by studying and perfectly mimicking the behaviors, tics and techniques of the Gray Ghost, which will be revealed to call himself the Joker, Azazreyzael.

Saint Freak, could we just add this to the OP already?

edit: This is a joke, just to be clear.

edit 2: That Riddler material was custom-made for the exhibition, including the voicework! This is what having an incredibly streamlined, wide-capacity process for recording lets you do.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dscruffy1 posted:

Arkham Knight is an O.M.A.C.

:colbert: Excuse me, I believe you mean HARDAC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I remember that the very first shot of the E3 video, traveling over the incinerator, passed over the brand name "Robinson".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

HARDAC was the big computer CARDAC was the robotic Batman jesus loving christ people.

I can find no references to this, are you sure?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RatHat posted:

According to the Game Informer review you need 100% to unlock the "real" ending.

This game- it was made for me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Is Scarecrow really that big of a menacing unflappable big bad mastermind in the comics or is this characterization new for him? I thought he was like this wimpy charlatan.

The first time he encountered Batman in BTaS was one of the nastiest and tensest confrontations the two had- and he didn't even use fear gas.

edit: whoops, no that was clock king. Scarecrow is usually semicompetent in at least some of his depictions. This is a step up for him, but given his role, it's a natural position for him to occupy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 23, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Folks who are unhappy about the challenge mode DLC, weren't additional characters usually DLC in the previous games?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm curious if the 100% ending is different on new game plus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Scyantific posted:

I was reading that WBCommunity thread where they were recommending settings and poo poo, there were a bunch of people linking that NVIDIA video asking them how that was possible.

Checked out the video, and :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: they sped that footage up to make it seem like it was running at 60 fps. Like, completely loving obvious when you hear the chipmunk sounding thugs getting their poo poo kicked in by Bats.

This was discussed earlier, it's probably not that. The chipmunking effect was caused by a different kind of error based on how they set it up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The new game plus intro... HAHAHAHA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Spoil it for me? Will probably forget by the time this is available for purchase again.

Video contains spoilers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Also this is pretty much the only game where jump scares actually worked on me. The Joker, Batman appearing when you thought he was dead, Man-Bat, Joker posing as Man-Bat, and finally the Batman statue... all very well done, and a couple of those were legitimately terrifying. Also (Ending spoilers)I thought the "Kill Joker" prompt was brilliant. I had just spent 5 minutes mashing buttons like a maniac (I wanted to see what happened if I fought off the Joker mob for an extended period of time) so when a new prompt showed up I just mashed the button without even reading it... only to realize "Oh poo poo, I'm Batman, I just killed a dude".

I am getting very, very curious about what happens if you refuse to complete that QTE.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

Jesus, it's like Arkham Origins all over again.

It's not. It's really, really not. As bad as this launch has been, its problems have been almost entirely exclusive to the people doing the port, and with graphics issues. Origins' problems were systemic and pervasive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

... Really? Because there's a big tank-shaped mechanical device which many people would disagree with you on.

I mean I enjoyed Knight a lot, but at bare minimum it has one thing which, at very best, is "some people will like this, some people will hate this."

There's a pretty big difference between "this feature seems like it's overemphasized" and "poor design causes some basic unlocks to be permanently missable", or "the game permanently sends me through the floor and saves my file there".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Origins was most buggy on the PC version (much like Knight!) and many of the things you complain about don't exist on the console version or have been present in other games. (Including the game saving in an unescapable area.)

My point is you're confusing bugs or fundamental defects with a questionable design choice and something that hasn't been reproduced. I don't know of a My Alibi equivalent in Knight, nor have I seen any indication that any of these things were attributable to the main developer, as was the case with many of the problems in Origins.

Knight has a bad port, Origins was badly made from the ground up. The defects of the Batmobile stuff (which appears to amount to "there's too much of it, it's not what I wanted") really doesn't compare with "there are only two-three chances to complete this challenge in a given playthrough, and no indication that this is the case"- or "disarm and destroy is accessible after 80% of the main story is complete".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 27, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No he wasn't.

This is the post he responded to. It, nor the one it is responding to, say anything about Rocksteady.

Right, the one who made it about Rocksteady was you. You're arguing both sides of the developer and launch issues. And yeah, I'll go ahead and say "permanently missable objects with no indicators" is worse than "there's too much batmobile, which I personally don't enjoy".

edit: Am I the only one who thinks having Red Hood constantly hold both his pistols in his hands makes him look ridiculous in combat?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 27, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aquasnake posted:

Does anyone know what percent of the main quest on the wheel is the point of no return before the ending. I'm at 80 and I'm trying to finish every sidequest before I go any further to be safe.

The point of no return is made clear. Don't give up your equipment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really a point-of-no-return either. You get to continue doing things afterwards.

Jesus christ, you don't seem to feel the need to correct him two posts earlier when you gave him the same info! Are you that desperate to argue with me?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

To be fair the rate at which he builds puzzles is pretty amazing.

Riddler is the ultimate example of "wow, this guy would be incredible if they didn't have so many issues".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Not the only one. Plus a riddle reveals he's left his tubes behind and went to Santa Prisca to get clean.Ra's is alive and absent. The League's complete absence in the game is odd to me.

There's a distinct possibility that in this continuity, the League is behind the St Dumas/Azrael thing, given the language used in Azzy's programming and its discussion of wiping the world clean. The more likely explanation is that, like Bane, it's impossible to have the League in the game without it consuming everything. The League has plot-infinite resources, and Bane is a great big mary sue of a villain- they can't be portrayed well as secondary antagonists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Note on Lazarus Chat: the idea is that the Lazarus pit in AC, the one directly underneath where Bruce's parents died, was destroyed when a) Clayface was dropped in it and b) a giant electrical turbocharger thingy was dropped in afterward.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

does it lean on the supernatural poo poo much? I love batman as I've experienced it through the movies and the animated series, neither of which incorporated much supernatural stuff (I haven't seen all of TAS but it didn't have much of that in from what I remember)

The Azrael material in this game is meant to sound supernatural, but has no actual magic involved. I suspect that, based on the later sidequest, the League is actually behind the Order of St Dumas, which would not be a first, but which would fit the whole "human puppets/manipulation across the centuries/purify the earth"schtick.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

is there a version of this without the serial killer whispering into the microphone

There should be a supervillain where that's their gimmick: whispered bad LP commentary on their victim's actions.

"Hello, I'm DarkSyde, and welcome to the third episode where I discuss the final parts of my latest victim's life."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

gotham tormented by a mysterious new supervillain named darksydephil, who drives victims insane by being maddeningly obtuse. his only calling card is the high pitched shriek of 'HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW TO DO THAT' echoing through the streets. still a better villain than arkham knight

Actually, piecing things together, I think that might be what the Arkham Knight is- an obnoxious, whining, entitled voice talking over all of your actions, asserting its supreriority, and complaining when things don't work out for it (which they never do).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, Scarecrow unknowingly cured Batman, with the help of Bruce's Power of Will. That said, the Joker in Bruce's head is not the same as the "real Joker"- cases where he seems to have knowledge of external events are just Bruce imagining what the Joker would know/do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

for a glorious moment I really did think that the game would end with the Joker in complete control and going off to destroy poo poo. But not even Rocksteady had the balls to do that. Would have been dumb as gently caress to end with that but I'd have loved it

Well, nobody's posted the new game plus 100% ending, yet...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There's not really anything backing that up at all. The Joker has explicit knowledge of events that Bruce couldn't have and is able to directly lie to Bruce and provide information he wouldn't have otherwise. Likewise the other infected Joker patients display knowledge and ability they couldn't have.The entire thing with the 'fake cured' Joker couldn't really work as he displays both knowledge of Joker's affairs far beyond what a non-Bat could have and abilities such as computer hacking which are intentionally out-of-character for the person involved and that is used as a hint that he isn't trustworthy.

Do you have any examples of this? Yes, the Joker-infected victims have some general knowledge of the Joker's behavior, but that's not unusual given his "celebrity". And it's not remotely surprising that an alternbate personality trying to sabotage Batman's could attempt to lie to him and manipulate him through hallucinations. I see no evidence of actual "knowledge of Joker's affairs," nor skills beyond the ability of the uninfected character, infected with something that gives them Joker's general mental traits.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 30, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You really think the headmaster dude would be capable of hacking the Batcomputer and contacting Harley Quinn on his own?

Yes, just like the singer can manufacture explosives- or Joker was able to do any of those things in the first place. It's a symptom. If they made specific references to unknown actions, or were manufacturing Smilex from scratch, that would be a different story- but it's established that they don't share a consciousness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A symptom that explicitly gives them knowledge and capabilities they wouldn't have normally that happens to match what the Joker has but in turn is somehow not the Joker's memory. It's just a special infection symptom that gives them generic explosive and hacking capabilities. That's a real drat far stretch when somehow "The Joker passes along his genetic memory via blood transfusion" is the less complex answer.

It's also more consistent with the information the story provides. The characters remain distinct-it's the disease.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bruce would have knowledge of the timeline, including that Todd was being tortured for that period, and when he would have recruited Tim. The brand is also visible on the video.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I stand corrected on Robin. Based on 2 ingame city stories, it sounds like Todd happened while the Asylum was completely abandoned, which means it was between origins and Asylum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:golfclap:

Shoulda simulated slowdown and framedrop before the crash, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I am looking forward to paying 6.99 for stuff that was in all the previous Arkham games by the boatload for free re: challenge maps

edit: No wait, what I meant was that actually that sucks and I'm not looking forward to it. My bad.

Most of the characters and about a third of the maps in City were DLC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crowetron posted:

It's super bullshit that loving Azreal gets his own AR Challenge and Robin & Catwoman don't get jack poo poo. Who cares about a Ren Fair reject when we coulda had nonstop team-up action?

This probably has to do with the relative ease with which the Azrael fight could be pulled out of the game's narrative compared with the other two. It also sounds like the dual mode combat events were built individually such that they couldn't be easily generalized.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fun story about Slade in the Titans show: he wins/escapes in the final episode.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

why do i need to sneak up on jason todd, the murdered second robin aka arkham knight over and over again in the sniper section instead of having a martial arts fight?
why do i need to blow up the drill tank 3 times?

Because they add variations and wrinkles to the task with each repetition to increase the difficulty and tension.

Real hurthling! posted:

why do all four sides of the cloudburst need to be weakened?
Because the fight would be over in less than a minute otherwise (yeah, not crazy about that)

Real hurthling! posted:

why do the militia guys keep blowing millions of dollars in tanks to protect a stupid landmine when they haven't upgraded them to deal with the threat that's dismantling them? why not blow the loving landmine up like an IED when batman drives by or messes with it?
Because they aren't just land mines- they're explosives set to destroy everything in about a half mile radius. They're how the militia is keeping the military out of Gotham.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Regarding Deathstroke, the problem was that the game didn't (and in some respects, couldn't) do a good enough job of flagging the fact that hitting the second counter early would get you hit. There were a couple attack animations that were also counter-intuitive. The devs did a few things in later development to try to make this clearer (added text appears onscreen if you die, for example, and some late-development voicework, iirc), but they weren't enough for a lot of players.

On why the game doesn't have a "martial artist" type fight with Jason, my best guess is that it's because it would be really hard and resource-intensive to execute. This is part of why Deathstroke came so early in Origins- fewer gadgets and tools to have to design around in the fight. Even with Deathstroke, the mechanics a)get boring fast in the counter-fest once you understand what's going on, and b) the bugs and errors in animation in that fight become very apparent if you spend a lot of time with it (such as when going for the flawless counter achievement on Challenge mode). It's very hard to manage transitions and exceptions to all the state changes in a one on one fight, which is part of why all of the fights against large or unique enemies in the whole series, aside from deathstroke, have had some sort of structural limitation on player actions, or have been fairly buggy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm wondering if Deathstroke and Firefly were mid-development executive-forced additions to the game. Neither seems particularly well-developed- though this game is still head and shoulders above Origins from a design perspective, setting the PC port problems aside.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

I didn't like the Deathstroke fight but it's hard for me to specifically define why. All of the things I don't like about it are things that I've been fine with in other boss fights or are things I understand to be basic facts of video game bosses. Like, my top complaint about the fight is how repetitive it feels (especially if you keep getting close to walls and you have to watch that loving readjusting animation over and over again) but I can fully acknowledge that Firefly is an equally repetitive boss fight and I loved the Firefly boss fight. And boss fights are usually repetitive anyway. Maybe it just bugs me that Deathstroke apparently can't dodge the Batclaw at all but common street thugs can.

Fun fact- because the game has trouble adjusting in time, you can immediately hit him at the end of each of those edge of arena animations. The same is true for a lot of other animations, although the sound bugs out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Go back to Kirk's lab after you've fixed him/destroyed his soul.

Her body is gone.

I am looking forward to all the easter eggs Rocksteady has undoubtedly filled the game with this time.

• Locked thread