Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Hello friends, do you guys know if Fracture is a good skill to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hi guys, I decided to start reading this thread again. What bad opinions have people developed while I was away?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

MikeyLikesIt posted:

You guys were really harsh, she's just there for swift cast >.>, cut her some slack.

I see you guys let this attitude foster while I was away.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Sorry, thread is too stupid even for me now. I've failed.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Eej posted:

It's much more exciting for loot to rot by week 2 and to never see a given piece of loot after 20 runs.

The denial is loving real.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Let's see how you all feel after your 400th A2 run by August. Wow this is so much more exciting...

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd rather not get the loot and be able to go with my life than have to run this raid 40+ times a week. If you're worrying about weapons you already cleared so who cares. Just wait for the lockout to go away and grind it out in a day. There are a million better ways they could have done a token system that isn't this.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

Genesis 5:24

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Nin is by far the most whatever just push buttons dps right now. It already was before but now even more so.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Since I have a bad history of not playing jobs correctly, I'd like to try and get some sort of clarity on what I'm to do with the new Ninja jobs.

Controlling enmity hasn't really been a big thing thus far, but now I have a Smoke Bomb enmity reducing buff and some sort of alternative to Shade Shift that also affects enmity? Am I to be buffing people now while I run my rotations, or does the level 58/60 skills form a complete combo that makes more sense? What should I be doing with these new abilities?

Use Smoke Screen on cooldown on your tank, use Shadewalker on the other melee dps on cooldown. Claim you did nothing wrong on every wipe.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The feedback is that you pull threat from full vit tanks. If you can't do this, you're doing bad dps.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Are you implying Alex normal is "tuned pretty hard"?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Rincewind posted:

Sometimes in groups you just get outright bad advice, too. Like the Brayflox where "Gohan Sama" the DRK told me that, as a MCH, I should use Blank in dungeons all the time.

He was right though?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
When ARR came out people were adamantly telling others not to use Leg Sweep/Steel Peak on all content.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Please refer to it by it's true Nipponese name: Knighto

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
We live in a dark time when people think Paladin's having healing abilities is something from WoW.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Captain Oblivious posted:

The original and most iconic Final Fantasy Paladin, Cecil, had white magic.

Anything to do with Paladins in FF is usually some kind of homage to Cecil and this is no different

Or you know...the Warrior of Light. You know...the first FF hero. Remember that Paladin is an English thing and the job is Knighto in Japanese.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They're so irrelevant they did 3 whole patch cycles on FF3, made one of the battle themes a direct homage to FF2, and stole the largest motif of FF1 (the warrior of light) and made it the main plot focus of the game. You're actually dumb though and think Paladin is Paladin and not Knight so who am I even talking to.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

FF14 is a love letter to the entire series but if you think they're trying to appeal to peoples nostalgia for FF1 by giving Paladin healing magic you're out of your mind.

Hey dummy. It's not the Paladin, it's the loving Knight.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_(Job)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Have you ever stopped to consider why it's not Knight in the English translation?

Or did you just hear about the Job title in the tongue of glorious Nippon and your critical thinking shut off there

I don't care what the localization team was thinking when they made the Sultansworn KNIGHTS into Paladins but the design team that makes the game calls it Knight and it greatly influence what skills they design for it. They might not even know that it's called paladin in English.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

If you've ever read anything Koji has written about the localization of this game you would know that is not the case. The localization team is fairly involved with the writing process and the Japanese script is not always the original. This makes it hard to make any serious claims of the authenticity of one over the other. Knowing this it is hard to envision Paladin versus Knight being anything but a conscious choice. They did not do it for shits and giggles, they did it because they know what game has weight in the English speaking world. It isn't FF1, 2 or 3.

I'm sure Koji has long talks with the JP team about how his GoT references fit into the overall narrative.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm not sure if "I like FFIV" is logic.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Xenoveritas posted:

Watch the opening video and see what a certain Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is credited as.

He's listed as one of the "World Lore creators." I'd say he has some amount of input.

If you watched the fanfest content you'll know what he does. Basically the main lore guy says "hey I need a castle" and then Koji makes up a giant back story for the castle that you have to ask him about on the forums cause it's not in the game at all. The biggest lore stuff he does that matters is help come up with names of things. The reason it's called Nald'Thal is so Koji could make Thal's Balls a curse.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Xenoveritas posted:

So you're aware that the localization team works very closely with the lore team and passes things like the names of jobs and classes by them, but still are all bent out of shape about how they ruined the glorious Knight job by calling them Paladins?

Good job not reading poo poo and being brain dead. Yeah they work so close with them that they had to rename a boss cause they forgot that the EN localization already used that name. Such close work they do.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Farg posted:

anecdotal evidence doesn't fly, fool.

What? Are you for real? Is it ancedotal if Koji himself wrote a post about it explaining the gently caress up in detail? That's like saying a confession is anecdotal.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178311-The-Sad-Tale-of-Phlegethon-and-Acheron

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
No, the EN team made the mistake. They changed the name of a monster cause it was too close to Titan and ask the JP team if that was ok. Then months later the JP team used the name they changed to for another monster. The correct thing would have been to translate the name correctly even if it was close to Titan. Now we have a completely made up name that isn't a reference to FF at all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How so? The JP team has two enemies which are both references to FF3 and the EN team has 1 reference and 1 made up thing cause they didn't want to name it what it should be.

I work with localization teams as part of my job every week and most of the time "working closely" just means answering questions. A loc guy might ask "I want to name this thing like this" and I can say "yeah that's fine" but I'm not going to keep a cross list of what every language is calling every thing and all the special exceptions so I don't trip over the toes of one language in the future.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah that's totally a mistake on the dev teams part rather than koji's, they came to an agreement about monster names and then the devs forgot about it after agreeing.

So the JP team should have altered raid design to conform to some email thread from 6 months ago from the EN loc team about how they don't like the monster name? You guys have a bloated impression of how much sway loc teams have in the design of a game. CN teams actually have far more sway cause if they don't get listened to people go to jail.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You guys are stupid as gently caress. I don't give a poo poo that they mistranslated a name for localization then got caught later. They could have named the mob anything and it doesn't change poo poo for me. I'm just using an example of Koji and his team in fact not working closely with the JP team as you all keep spouting mindlessly. For all it's stupid I like the en localization as it actually has some soul to it.

You're just trying very desperately to straw man anything I say.

Basically:

Paladin = Knights and Knights have always had heals
Loc teams don't work as closely with devs as you think despite what they say
Shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Final Fantasy was pretty inconsequential as a series sales wise before 4. 1-3 are fairly irrelevant in the overall gamer consciousness.

Try reading this post and not getting mad, brohan.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

i am tim! posted:

Actually the Knight job lost its healing magic circa FFV, where the job was all about heavy armor, shields and the Cover ability. With FF6 the Job system started to fall to the wayside, but in FFT the Knight class was ALL about breaking poo poo.

And yet Knight has white magic again in XII. Final Fantasy changes stuff and goes back all the time. That Break stuff for Knight in FFT ended up on Warrior in FFX-2.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

kharaa posted:

this except directed at you

:stoke:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Farg posted:

look up the definition of anecdotal

an·ec·do·tal
ˌanəkˈdōdl/
adjective
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

As this is directly from Koji it's a reliable account.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Back to back Titan Primal and Sunken Temple of Qarn at level 34 and 35 sold me on the game back in the day. Doing those now those is probably super easy so just take it on faith that this game has good design at the end game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
1. GC restrictions aren't any different than faction restrictions in other games except it's easy as gently caress to switch in this game.
2. 24 players is a gigantic freaking number?
3. :gitgud:

It's ok to not like PvP but don't pretend the XIV Frontlines is significantly worse than any other similar scale PvP from another game. Just say you don't like PvP.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I am a fan of sportsball.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So this may come across as lazy but which jobs have the least amount of buttons to push? I had bad burns on my hands that resulted in skin grafts a few years back and have trouble moving them like the Pro-Gamer XXL that I used to be. I've been leveling a Lancer to become a Dragoon and having fun with a controller but targeting on the controller is starting to feel pretty lovely when I'm surrounded by mobs in dungeons. I don't want to switch back over to using a keyboard and being a "LOLDRG" who is garbage that can't pull off all the combos.

Healer

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The number of buttons you push to keep someone alive rarely exceed 5. The basic rotation for drg with no ogcds is 10. Don't kid yourself that healer isn't the easiest to be passable at.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 18, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Goons are just pubbies with :10bux:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's not like there was a giant in your face message telling you about this every day for the past 5 days.

• Locked thread