Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This dude is doing MCH right.

What are those glasses?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Marks can be useful in low-level dungeons where you might not have the tools you need to effectively keep aggro but once you have your tanking stance and definitely once you hit 50+ you should have enough AoE threat generation at your disposal that keeping aggro isn't a concern regardless of what the DPS are doing, at least so long as you're paying even just a little bit of attention to the threat meters.

If they have Flash, Overpower, or Unleash, a tank has all the tools you need to effectively keep aggro. If they still can't, that's them loving up.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

All Str right side (across like 25 ilvls), all stats into Str. I was going 1-1-1 Path-Eye-Block in Deliverance and steadily swapping aggro with him after 6-7 combos. I couldn't slow down too much or else I'd drop down to 3rd.

If you're not MTing or prepping for swaps, it's okay to skip the Block combo. Path-Eye is 200 potency per GCD, Path-Eye-Block is 203. Not much of a loss, and no risk of that happening.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Minrad posted:

I never logged out in Sea of Clouds so I never caught this until today, but it might be my favorite HW loading screen. :3:

Sea of Clouds would've been waaay cooler if it was more vertical, to distinguish itself more from Churning Mists. I would've loved climbing up some little spiral pillars or something, to look down on stuff waaay below me before getting flying mounts.

That place is completely hosed if someone screws around with the Master Emerald though.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eej posted:

It really doesn't because by the time you hand in enough to get a full set you'll be 58->60. Then your other classes won't need help because you'll have the gear to do 58->60 anyway.

That and you want to save up 350 scrips for each class' master books anyway.

The secret true answer is to level up Culinarian as fast as you can, and turn in a huge pile of Marron Glace. Because it's cheap as gently caress to make and is drat near always the level 59 collectable.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I don't think DRK is awful, just mediocre. The 120 second TP sustain in current gear for off tanking is pretty top tier garbage. I'd be less unhappy if it was at least 180 seconds, or Blood Weapon restored 100 TP on use or something. Dark Mind needing DA to be truly good against any magic busters is a bit meh, but I can live with that. DA Dark Dance being evasion instead of extra parry chance is really questionable, though, since you can't dodge tank busters from raid bosses (as far as I've found in Alexander). It's basically a trap DA use, kind of like Lightspeed for AST in how weird/bad it is. Carve and Spit returning 1/2 a DA on a 60s CD is really bad. If they either let it restore TP or a full DA it might not be so bad, but they'd have to increase the DA potency to match the opportunity cost or change how DA works on it. Dark Passenger also costing MP is very strange and I'm not sure why they decided to specifically punish DRK for using an oGCD when I don't think any other class has a major resource cost for an oGCD (excluding the monk GL3 dump move, I guess?). Plus having their threat combo both do nothing extra and be less potency than the Delirium combo might require a little bit of rethinking.

And Grit should definitely not cost ~23% of one of our resources or be on the GCD. Of all the things about DRK that is weird/questionable, that is probably the most bullshit one. Plus they really need to fix the client/server mana weirdness.

I'm not a big fan of how Paladin and Warrior both have ways to dump 6-8k of self-heal on pretty short intervals when needed, but all I have is Souleater.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Vermain posted:

In addition to all that, they just don't serve a functional niche compared to the other two tanks, aside from "best MT DPS" (though by how much?). PLD has good party utility and is still the best defensive tank, Warrior has excellent single target/AoE damage, TP sustainability, and a pretty good coterie of defensive cooldowns now, and DRK has... the -INT debuff? I guess? There just aren't a lot of compelling reasons to take them along versus a different tank.

We're definitely not the best MT DPS. Warrior's that by a long shot, especially since they can trivially stance dance and toss out back-to-back 6k Fell Cleaves.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Seconding this, at least for CUL. I spent the last day grinding out Marron Glace for turn-ins and I went from having one masterwork book to all of them and a full set of Adept's for glamour. I can't even use any of them yet.

It was really cheap too.

Absolutely this. Dark Chestnuts are readily gathered, Birch Sap costs very little and is not hard to gather, and Cooking Sherry they're practically giving away on the MB.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mazed posted:

Not sure if this ever really made the rounds at all, but I found something neat in the art book that came with the HW CE that tickles the nostalgia fancy, though is probably to be expected with a certain trio of significant statues that have featured prominently in Heavensward stuff.

Ultima Weapon? Not quite. Look at the tail, and especially the horns.

FEEBLE CREATURES, GO!

Yeah that's definitely Proto-Ultima.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

dreffen posted:

I am currently using a very obnoxious Living Dead macro

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Vermain posted:

My A1 run this morning had a tank who wouldn't drag Oppressor over to the lasers, leading to two wipes, and when I suggested that he do so he said that he "shouldn't have to" because "this fight is easy." Unsurprisingly, we one-shot it after he left. v:shobon:v

Are you supposed to do that? Do bad things happen to the Oppressor if the missile hits him?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Garin posted:

You don't have to do jack poo poo with the Oppressors. You have to kill the small adds that spawn on the oppressors where the laser rests. The mini puddle is what keeps people from dying.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but then this guy is saying to drag the Oppressors there and I'm like, what

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

KaneTW posted:

ahem

Let me remind you that twintania was completely loving broken in a myriad of ways for literal months

T2 enrage was never fixed.

T2 enrage takes longer than doing it normal, though. I haven't made it to Burden yet but I'm guessing times less than two minutes on that fight are a bit faster than they should be.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

The way I've usually used Blessing is after setting it up with Great Strides + Innovation and you simply cannot reliably pull off the discount Byregot's in a combo that way. I have it on my bar but I don't think I've ever actually used the ability.

So far I've found a lot of the new crafting abilities to be underwhelming compared to the old standbys, with the exceptions of Precise Touch (which is awesome) and the level 54 class-specific abilities.

I think Byregot's Brow is intended to be a boon to people who only level one or two craft classes, so you don't have to max everything out to be able to make things. It's worse than Blessing, sure, but it's a lot better than the nothing you have without 50 levels of Carpenter.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Truga posted:

F13-F24 is the standard key set, it works in windows and in other games.

FF14 recognizes I pushed a button, but:

Like I said, I filed a bug report, considering it works elsewhere. Hopefully they'll fix it. Was just wondering if I'm missing something and it works for others.

It's really really not standard, guy.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

If you've never played a tank before VIT accessories are a great exercise in learning where your cooldown buttons are and how to dodge AoEs.

Yes, they are. Being able to learn how much things do without a single fuckup meaning you're dead is pretty useful.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Willias posted:

Also on the note of VIT or STR talk for tanks: VIT gives more HP in Heavensward than it did back in ARR, and jewelry now has more main stats than you get stat points as you level up. So a 180 piece of jewelry is +36 main stat, while you only get 35 stat points from leveling. With no VIT jewelry on, a Paladin and Dark Knight tank will only have slightly higher HP than the DPS of their group (around 12k HP with stat points put into STR instead of VIT, DPS will have 10k-11k HP). With full VIT jewelry, a PLD or DRK tank will have 16k to 17k HP (Warriors go up over 20k). It's a huge boost, and is very noticeable in the EX primal fights and Alexander.

If you go full VIT though, I still recommend keeping at least one piece of jewelry as STR, just to make sure you can out threat your DPS.

Add to that that tanks are not created equal. As a Dark Knight, I just can't mitigate incoming damage nearly as well as a Warrior or a Paladin, and so that buffer of extra HP is kind of crucial to not die all the time.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Healing someone at critical HP, 1000/13000, generates a lot more Limit Break than healing someone at 5000/17000, so obviously tanks should spend all their time in STR gear.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Not bad, but you'll have to do it all three more times to finish out the folklore books.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm excited to see if red script armor will be better than HQ crafted. I'm really hoping it is so I can use the gil I'd have to use buying HQ on materia

I'm guessing it's equal to or slightly better than fully melded crafted, but requires specialization to equip so you're not crafting all the best stuff for everything.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eimi posted:

Sort of, though I don't think any HM to -> Ex primal has been one to one. For example all the stuff that makes Ravana hard is no where in the HM version. The first three primals are probably the best, along with Leviathan, for showing you what you'll see in HM and then in EX mode. I guess Bismark is too come to think of it. Though the difficulty of that EX fight is entirely dps related. :v:

I believe every primal starting with Mog has been designed as an Extreme fight first, and then had mechanics removed and numbers toned down to make the Hard version. The first three were complete fights at Hard, and then a patch later redone totally for Extreme. Individual mechanics are similar but the fights themselves are dramatically different.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the new fisher abilities? The desciptions on them are lacking at best. Specifically I'm looking at Snagging, Patience and the two Hookset abilities.

Some fish, like corals, require Snagging to be set in order for them to be on the fishing table. Maps require that you turn on Snagging.
The two Hookset abilities are used when you've got a Patience buff up, to negate the miss chance from Patience. Precise is for tiny tugs, Powerful otherwise.
Fish Eyes reveals fish at holes that you can't fish up without Fish Eyes active. There might also be some holes that you can't even do without Fish Eyes? Unsure.

There is not a comprehensive list of what all you need Snagging or Fish Eyes to get, as far as I know.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

So how do you tell what kind of fish needs which hookset? Is powerful exclusively for the ones that make that ominous creaking sound that sounds like it'll snap your rod in half?

You look at the tug animation.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Whizbang posted:

They've been specifically saying for months they don't want you to be an omnicrafter. If you're upset you haven't been paying attention.

The easy solution to that would be to require Specializations to equip the AF3. That's the point of limiting them to three, right? Instead, now, you can still be an omnicrafter, except it takes either a full year of turn-ins or spending hundreds of millions of gil. And none of the new recipes can even be attempted until you do that.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eej posted:

If this new crafting system upsets you so much why don't you just farm Red Scrips, turn that into crafting mats, then hand those mats over to a friendly crafter to make yourself an HQ set of gear that you can gradually make better than the Scrip Gear over time?

Because you'll have to wait for that crafter to get loaded up with scrip gear first.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

With the changes to fates in HW, what's faster for leveling your other jobs? Fates or dungeons?

Probably depends on class and queue times. Dungeons are really good, if you can get into an appropriate-level one instantly.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The job NPCs are wearing relic armor, and have a special job related weapon. It makes perfect sense to assume its the relic is my point. Do you think that they'll "finish' the relic then just retroactively give all the NPCs the new model instead of the one they're using? because that's really dumb.

Except they're not wearing relic armor. They're wearing Esoterics gear and using Esoterics weapons.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

How are DPS levels for DRK and WAR comparing right now? I already have DRK at 60 while WAR's still 50 (and WHM at 52 :suicide:), but those Fell Cleaves look funny as heck. Not so much if they do comparable damage over time anyway, though.

WAR is loads ahead, almost competitive with DPS classes in strength accessories. DRK is maybe a little ahead of Paladin on dps, but with nowhere near the survivability.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Pews posted:

So I have literally only heard people talk of how terrible it is but... are there any guides on how best to level up desynthesis?

Yup!

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How many people do you need to reliably do EX primals now at 60?

Depends on the Primal, but four or five seems to work for most of them.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Can someone give a relatively unbiased rundown of the actual differences between the 3 tanks at endgame right now?

Also is DRK lagging behind a lot in mitigation/damage or is it mostly a matter of there being more poo poo players in that class still?

Might well be a lot of the second, but the first is definitely true even if played right.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Doublestep posted:

do you think shields give more stats than 2handers or something???? like where the gently caress are you getting this less health poo poo

shields dont even give armor

No, but they do give the Block mechanic, which is a pretty nice thing Paladins have exclusive use of. And multiple cooldowns to take advantage of it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Evader posted:

So I recently started, and my original plan was to rocket a WAR up to 3.0 then bring up a DRK as my 'real' main after that.

Everything was going according to plan, got my GLD to 22, got WAR to kill Titan . . .

Then progress came to a screeching halt.

Before Titan, I literally could just rocket up the MSQ line and get enough XP via sheer inertia to keep qualifying for further MSQs.

However, after Titan I needed to hit 35 before the next one, and then after that quick series of tasks I needed to hit 36. The pattern has held as I climb towards 38.

So now I am more or less clearing out every single quest in the area of the plot, and topping off on battle leves - instead of leaving all the side quests for alt classes. Doing piles of crazy +4 leves and such isn't getting me anywhere near as far along with XP as it used to, etc etc.

Now, this is all well and good and normal MMO grind curvature- just, this 34+ progress is slow as balls WITH sidequest support. Yes I can get almost a level a day for free by tanking a LLDR and such, but what I'm scared of is the 30+ grind when I get here with another class I plan to take all the way up. I get my best free time in sporadic huge chunks, and like to rocket up as fast as I can when I can. Hopping on every evening a bit for an instance is . . . not ideal. Meh.

Do I have the right of it, or am I forgetting something obvious that should be keeping me from getting speed-bumped while progressing the MSQ?

Dungeons are the big thing. If you're approaching 38, then queue for a Qarn, eat food while you're in there, pull probably half a level per run.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

bonewitch posted:

It's tuned around level 50 characters with i120 gear. If you do it at 60 with i180 gear, its a joke.

You can go in level and gear sync'd though, but you're much less likely to get people willing to do that.

I'm kinda curious about unsyc turn 13. I mean, the plan for that was always using the tank LB3 to survive Teraflare, but you don't build limit when you're outleveling everything by that much. How do you get through it now? Does everyone have enough HP that it's cool?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Don't let these guys scare you off, there is still a lot of value to be had in getting your crafts to 60 regardless of how silly the endgame for crafting is. That said, do it because you like doing it. If you hate it, don't feel obligated.

Do, however, feel obligated to get all the ones that repair your gear to 50 and carry dark matter around.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda want to do a Greco-Roman glamour. As far as I know, I'm going to want the Noct set and Flame Elite Set. It's... gonna take a long time farming allied seals, isn't it?

Are you supposed to toss your hunt bills after you do them?

They should disappear automatically.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Can someone give me some advice on not loving hating Black Mage at 60? Trying to keep Fire and Enochian up while dealing with anything that expects movement or cancels casts is just getting me pissed and headachy.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

kafziel posted:

Can someone give me some advice on not loving hating Black Mage at 60? Trying to keep Fire and Enochian up while dealing with anything that expects movement or cancels casts is just getting me pissed and headachy.

What got me in a real lovely mood about it today was unsynced Ifrit, but it's as much a problem in Alexander 1 and 4 and gently caress we're going into Ravana EX tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

I'm kinda curious why he Reclaimed in the first place. Nothing in his opening rotation, before he said "This is looking like a reclaim", was RNG-dependent. What went wrong?

• Locked thread