Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I can't wait to hang out with my pal Curious Gorge in about 8 hours, it's been a long time :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eorzea Collection 2015S

https://youtu.be/-lGRUQYehvo

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Velthice posted:

you should get a tank friend anyway because 99% of those drks are going to be garbage

Their friend, in all likelihood, is going to be one of those garbage DRKs, but that's OK because of the power of friendship.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I was in for like one glorious minute before 90k

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

Some of y'all have been sitting here refreshing a page for an hour and 15 minutes straight.

I ground out a Zeta I can grind out this :colbert:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Wish I found this quest BEFORE I spent 350k on an onion holy poo poo

If anyone has any extra onions feel free to send them my way :allears:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minrad posted:

Also I've been holding off gushing but drat, this expansion really nails the idea of telling a story and delivering a compelling single player experience compared to ARR. The latter patches did a much better job of it, but so far all the single player instances, class quests, and storylines have been great. Even my friend who could barely stand leveling 1-50 in ARR is really digging what HW is doing so far.

Yeah since there's always people complaining but rarely celebrating, I just want to add, Heavensward is goddamned amazing so far and definitely lives up to the hype

I really can't believe how good the story is. Like it's actually pretty good on its own merits, not just "less poo poo than other video games". The areas are beautiful and huge and there's just so much to do it's hard to stay on one track.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cerulean can't melt Ishgardian steel beams.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Since most of your XP comes fro,m quests and not mob kills, am I correct in thinking it's fine to have my Chocobo out for leveling my first class through HW?

I do. Mine is rank 17 so the xp from kills is pretty pathetic but for challenge log and utility, it's nice. It's always been better to have it out anyway since it actually does enough DPS and utility that you can kill stuff faster to more than make up for it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mo0 posted:

Raubahn lied, 6,000 Lominsans died

Holy See did 11/11

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

gently caress I want to level DRK but tanking is scary and I think after machinist I won't want to level much of anything for a while

Just do it, tanking owns. The worst thing that can happen is some nerds on the internet whine at you in party chat sometimes until you get good, and even that's unlikely.

Generally your mechanics are much less complicated than DPS classes as you're more concerned with things DPS generally don't have to do like positioning and such, so don't think that tanking is basically doing monk combos/rotation while also all the fight mechanics. It's easier than that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eimi posted:

So there is one thing about the story thus far that has pissed me off, so I hope someone further along can spoil the poo poo out of it. Please, please tell me Nanamo is really dead and all this she might be alive is a false plot and the dumb bitch is dead. If its true its the biggest misstep in the game so...yeah.

I really don't know how anyone could ever possibly think that she was actually dead. You see her drink the wine then she's just whisked away, and when Raubaun demanded to see her they were really cagey about it; if she was actually dead they'd be practically throwing her corpse at him.

This is an anime, after all. As a wise goon once said, if you don't see a mangled corpse, the character isn't dead.

Also wtf how can you hate the sultana

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fadam posted:

Where the gently caress are the Mog Squad recruits aaaah I hate three dimensional scavenger hunts.

If I'm thinking of the right thing, to get to the area southeast of the Moghome aetheryte you need to go down into the area where the moogleking or whatever is then across from where you enter that area there's a ramp going up. There's several quest destinations there.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I had the arrogance to not structure my entire day around never being away from my computer for longer than thirty minutes like I did yesterday and now I keep on getting lobby errors whenever I try to log back in. :smith:

If it keeps happening, change data centers to another one than back. Seems to get me in easier.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Yay I'm back from a month long business trip and can play the game again just in time for early access for my preorder! Only... I can't, I got the code, went to enter it and for some reason its a steam account despite never buying the game through steam? So the code they gave me doesn't work and apparently I couldn't purchase it through steam either since I never paid for it through steam. Is support seriously not open again until monday? I fly out again tuesday so I'm guessing I just wasted money.

If that is indeed the case I'm so so sorry, that loving sucks.

That said, are you sure you're not just trying to register the expansion? Early access isn't an expansion code, and nobody has an expansion code that didn't buy from Steam. Follow the instructions carefully, you need to register as I believe a pre-order bonus code.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah it sounds like you're not putting the code in the right place, the length of the code and the input fields WILL match. Unfortunately I did it forever ago and do not remember the exact steps, but they are here:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/cebcb45223906c06e74e0b62c2723b86c22fee5f

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

There's a reproducible client crash bug where if you open party finder then close it within like a second or two (but after about half a second) it crashes the game. Please be careful!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Renegret posted:

I am so triggered right now.

I got BLM to 53 and AST to 36 and I feel like I've played too much over the past two days :smith:

I am up to WAR 55 and DRK 34 and woke up at for launch time and have been playing nearly nonstop and I feel behind compared to some of these people. That's the worst thing about these things I feel bad for stopping to smell the roses even though I really shouldn't :argh:

Also speaking of lesser poopsockser epiphanies, I finally decided to start playing with stance dancing as WAR in dungeons and it turns out it's really goddamned cool and it seems like you're kind of supposed to. When you switch, your stacks are converted between Wrath and Abandon as appropriate. When taking heavy hits from bosses, throw up Defiance, when adds come out or there's a DPS check, switch to Deliverance. All 3 tanks have stance switching mechanics now, and it seems like MOST of the new WAR stuff is centered on basically allowing WAR to do this too, and as such I predict a lot of Alexander and Extremes will be tailored towards tanks switching between defensive and dps stances.

It really makes WAR's rotation and cooldown management a lot more interesting as well as continuing the grand WAR tradition of kind of blowing apart the implied linear and static order of a "rotation" in lieu of doing things that are situationally appropriate, which is pretty much why I love WAR so much in the first place. Now to find hotbar room and work out muscle memory for stance switching which I previously had in a weird spot in the corner :V

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vanbags posted:

Is this game worth it for someone who exclusively enjoys PvP endgame?

I like storylines and questing, but I have limited interest in raiding.

While the PvP is good, it's extremely limited in scope and content compared to everything else, and it will take a lot PvE to unlock and get stuff you will want for PvP. As such it sounds like this game probably wouldn't tickle your fancy unless you find something compelling in the PvE that you didn't expect, which isn't impossible because the PvE is a lot more interesting mechanics-wise than pretty much any other MMO.

I really enjoy the PvP in this game but not particularly the /marked/ PVP parts--I enjoy getting into wacky tank threat fights in Crystal Tower :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ActionZero posted:

A new Odin-like Fate spawned in Dranavian Forelands on Hyperion and I had to teleport out cause actions were taking like 10 seconds to fire off (I'm going relatively slowly so new to the zone and had no idea how to get to it).

I find it odd that Dravanian Forelands isn't on the instanced zones list, it seemed to be getting more and more crowded. Wonder if it will be added soon.

vanbags posted:

Could you elaborate a little on this? Is this like WotLK where PvE gear shits all over PvP?

First of all, to really unlock PvP you will need to level to 50 and complete the main story quest; you can't level through PvP, it's an endgame activity. There are some 4v4 arena matches that are sub-level 50 but nobody does them and the rewards are garbage.

There are basically two PvP activities: Wolf's Den and Frontlines.

Wolf's Den are 4v4 arena matches, and they're not very popular and if I recall the rewards are rather slow in coming. I believe there's a small community of people who are really into it, but I don't know much about it.

Frontlines are similar to WoW battlegrounds, with one being something like Arathi Basin and the other more objective based where there are more adds to kill for points in addition to other players. There's a "roulette" (daily bonus for doing it at random) for it that offers XIV's equivalent of Honor/Valor and some really cool mounts and cosmetic rewards locked behind grinding it out, so it's much more popular, but queues can still be slow.

By completing PvP matches you get PvP ranks (levels) and PvP currency to buy PvP gear that has good PvP stats and, more importantly to most players, looks really cool. PvP experience lets you enhance PvP abilities and base stats.

There are PvP abilities in addition to the PvE abilities, with some PvE abilities working differently or having no effect (Provoke, for instance, does nothing). As this creates something of a wall between PvE and PvP balance, there's a complete lack of the WoW plague of one or the other necessitating unnecessary balance changes to the opposite.

As far as gear goes, Frontlines normalizes everybody's gear to be roughly the same, making it difficult to get a massive gear advantage. That said, PvP gear is optimally statted for PvP and will improve your performance, and you only really get it from participating in PvP.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Warrior is amazing and after the initial dissapointment that a lot of your new skills are Deliverance copies of Defiance ones, I am finding out how just how amazing and "game changing" Deliverance is the more I play.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

Rev up your Fell Cleave button, the age of Abyssea is returned! :black101:

Aligning things just right to double fell cleave on something with storm's eye debuff while maimed and berserked (all while not losing aggro somewhere :v:) is goddamned amazing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you, crashed materia market, my Ragnraok is now ready for 3.1

It took me 7 loving Savage Might IVs to get the last one to stick, at 50% chance :argh: At least they all cost less than 50k each.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kuai posted:

You really didn't think this out did you.....

I did, actually.

I'm 90%+ certain that the new relic quest is going to, probably in the first step, involve statting it with materia. The advantage that previous relichavers will have over people making a new one is that they can use what they already have, and have to add just rank 5 materia or something, rather than ALL of them.

A few hundred k as a bet that this will be the case (I was already almost done with this, I might add, I didn't JUST redo it) seems wise. If I'm wrong, oh well, if I'm right, I saved myself millions of gil later.

The market will probably crash more, so maybe I spent more than I really had to, but I wouldn't have even been out nearly as much if I wasn't totally hosed by RNG and had to use 7 of the loving det materias to get the last one to stick.

The only other real risk is if crit/det ends up not being perfect but even with the adjustments to determination, I somehow doubt it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

so uh, what do I do if I keep getting kicked out from the game after hitting Start on the main menu? I keep getting lobby communication errors

Select another data center than go back to your regular one.

Or type ipconfig /flushdns in a windows command prompt

Either one seems to work, do whichever you like best

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There's a reason why Rei_, Gaga, and I are all sperging over Fell Cleave. It's because we finally get to slap things around for back-to-back 3K crits with i130 gear.

Endgame gear is gonna make it *magical*.

Deliverance finally delivers (heh) on the thematic promise of Warrior: a tank that can absolutely wreck poo poo. I am consistently out dpsing the actual DPS right now and it's amazing, and way more challenging and fun as staying in Deliverance requires way more careful and fiddly threat management.

I'm excited to see how it goes when I finally have all of the skills and get a lot more practice.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What does Deliverance itself do? Do you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up?

You get a 5% DPS increase (sounds small but remember the previous WAR DPS stance was "turn defiance off" and it was still good) and generate stacks of Abandon instead of Wrath, switching stances also converts the stacks to the appropriate ones. Each stack of Abandon increases your crit rate and at 5 stacks you can use Fell Cleave which does ridiculous damage (I had one crit for 3700 last night), or an AOE I don't have yet. Lining everything up so you berserk, maim, storm's path, internal release, and then Fell Cleave, Infuriate, Fell Cleave does ridiculous and hugely satisfying amounts of damage.

The new ability that parries from the front (name escapes me at the moment) also generates a stack of wrath/abandon, so along with Vengence and Berserk you can turbo up more stacks to get more Fell Cleave in, especially during berserk.

I'm excited for the level 58 ability too, which is a self cure in defiance and gives you 400 TP in deliverance. I have sacrificed so many virgin goats to the dark lord praying for a TP restore ability. So many.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

There's a bunch of stuff that still seems to be super tiny when I do that: the controller main menu, the pop-over map (including text labels, which are nigh-invisible), the chat log... any way to resize that stuff?

The chat log you have to change the font size, the other items I don't believe I've found a solution for

There's an option on the main menu to default the HUD to be bigger but it didn't seem to do anything after I set it to 140% (I play at 1440p so having everything big is nice) so I'm guessing it only works with new characters or if you do a total UI reset :smith:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have gotten absolutely poo poo luck for drops; the library after like 6 runs only ever dropped the tanking hands 3 times, and my running total on the expert dungeons is the tank ring 3 times and on the last run, tank feet.

As such my gear is awful and I can barely survive in Defiance never mind playing for real and all my dreams are dying :cry:

Tanaka has forsaken me. How many Expert runs until I have a full set of Law gear? :smith:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

From 50-60, I didn't see a single healing chest or gloves. I was still in Ironworks gloves until I bought the i150 gloves.

Yeah I ended up in, and still have, a bunch of vendor garbage from one of the friendly allagan balls of vending.

That said, complaining works! After posting this I did expert roulette and while a 5th tank ring dropped, the tank chest dropped too and I blew past enough Law tomes to get a weapon. Maybe I can use Deliverance sometimes now! :unsmith:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

My favorite thing about this picture is they had just hit Infuriate, so they're about to do this again :allears:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Also, I find it incredible how many people have pretty much "finished Heavensward" at this point. As in, class to 60, all quests done, all dungeons done. Geared to the teeth already.

I'm not trying to poo poo on those people, but I think I'm glad that I've been taking things a bit slower. I played hard the first couple days just to get my AST up to 50, but I'm barely into the main quests. I'm level 51, close to 52 and all I've done are the initial questlines in Coerthas Western and Sea of Clouds as well as the Elf Pope meeting after. I feel like I still have so much ahead of me.

I just don't understand those that race to the cap, skip all cutscenes and burn through everything in less than a week and then in another couple weeks are just going to sit around and complain that there's nothing to do,

I've been a big fan of just playing a couple hours a day, taking it casual and just being a slowpoke sightseer. Plus, it allows me to play other games (Like finishing Witcher 3).

Everybody who does things differently than you are wrong. You are the main character of the entire universe.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Popehoist posted:

There are extremes, like when I saw DRK60s running around on Saturday night I was just like "jesus christ" because that is literally insane levels of sitting in front of the computer all day. But as we started to come into the beginning of the week I'd say that was fairly normal completion times for someone on an old job.

I'm rather impressed by them as I pretty much spent every waking moment playing from the moment the servers went up but I farted around a lot and took long breaks to keep me from getting carpal tunnel so bad it applies retroactively.

I bet they didn't clear Tam Tara regular in 3 minutes soon after the servers were loginable for shits and giggles :smug:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fadam posted:

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

That's really weird

I'm sure I've pissed off some healers and DPS by being in Deliverance and letting a monster or two wander off because holding threat in Deliverance is actually pretty tricky, but from what I've seen of DRK so far it's absurdly easy to hold threat.

Fat_Cow posted:

So end game spoiler question

What "Primal" is at the end of the game crawling out of the lake? Also Was the game and the pope implying you yourself the PC is becoming a primal?

Plugging the ffgoons spoilerchat thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27545

And yes, I think so

Minrad posted:

I can't run out of rested exp. :psyduck:

SCH to 52 and two new jobs to 33, the rested exp don't stop.

I managed to run out somehow, right as I was most of the way to 60. It IS possible.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 25, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minrad posted:

My theory is that The Warrior of Light on the moon is a Primal the Ascians have created, fueled by the beliefs of the people in the generic idea of the Warriors of Light. Warriors of Darkness here we come :getin:

It's never really established where player characters are actually from, and that they're some kind of manifestation of the hopes and dreams of the people or something would make sense too

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody was talking about how they thought the post-credits scene was lame but the Ascians have an evil you on the moon and that's exactly the kind of ridiculous, hilarious twist I want to see in Anime MMO and I'm very excited.

My theory is that Trailer Hyur was actually the Warrior of Darkness all along.

Oh while it was absolutely cheesey as everloving gently caress, it's the exact kind of thing I desire out of an online Final Fantasy game. gently caress yes I want to load down on the Lunar Whale and beat the poo poo out of Shadow Me. Also Warriors are awesome so that the Warrior of Darkness is a warrior is kind of scary and I can't wait to kill the fucker! I also hope they add a moon area with enemies from FFIV and everything in a patch :allears:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except you, the MT, the WoL, are someone Louisoix teleported from the battlefield when Bahamut got free?

But how did We get to the battlefield? Who are we? Where are we From?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I love dungeons so I recommend just doing highest level dungeons after exhausting roulettes, and if you're a dps, do fates while waiting or grab a healer/tank friend and/or goon to queue with. Dungeons are fun and give xp and the best* gear.

*Depending on what you mean by best. Are the stats good? The best. Is it pretty gear? The prettiest. Either way, you win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Vault and Library are so much fun.

I can't stay mad at the Library even though it dropped the tank glove 3 times and literally nothing else, sending me to expert roulette with exceptionally garbage vendor gear. It's just so good :allears:

• Locked thread