Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Kuai posted:

BLM is kill. Time to play SMN.

RIP BLM, we hardly knew you... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

It kinda looks like Enochain will be easy to keep up all the time, so is BLM really in a bad spot? Fire IV is pretty beefy.

Flare nerf is kinda sad, but aside from that BLM seems to be looking good to me.

True, but they added incentive to stay even stiller than before but nerfed the things that allowed you to do it in the first place. idk, it's not looking as appealing as it was before now, at least for me...

Veks
May 12, 2012

From when PBC got a DOOM HOUSE (see if you find yourself)

Definitive Mons:

Veks
May 12, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Soo, BLM got nerfed? How exactly?

Not really, their survivability took a hit and Flare's AoE got nerfed, but they also got buffs to their main attack spells. It's just that SMN was hugely buffed and BLM didn't seem to change much, though we still need to see how they work at 60 to make any kind of conclusions.

Veks
May 12, 2012

To the surprise of nobody, PBC and DGKK (and the only other entry from Excalibur) won the FC Recruitment Video Contest!

:confuoot:

Veks
May 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

At what point in the series did Carbuncles start looking like Eevees?

Speaking of which I'm surprised SE hasn't made a Pokémon-ripoff using Final Fantasy characters.

This is literally what World of Final Fantasy is gonna be about.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Tyberius posted:

Just wish that you could run that dungeon at 50. 49 just sucks when dealing with the mechanics in that place.

You can now! :v:

Veks
May 12, 2012

You don't have time for T2 in the new rotation. It's either T1 or B4 because Enochian is about to fall off.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm torn on what to level next now that DRG is finished. I kinda wanna level another ranged DPS, since SMN is my only one currently and I'm generally kind of 'ehn' on it right now, so I've got it down to either BLM or MCH. Probably BLM; that's what I would have originally taken to 60 instead of SMN but complaints about Enochian scared me off at the time.

Anyway, how hard is Enochian and BLMing at 60, really, especially if I'm already used to managing (and losing :() GL3 and BotD? Does it ultimately boil down to a set rotation like DRG does or is it kinda fiddly?

Not difficult at all, the new rotation just keeps you on your toes a bit more.

Veks
May 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a way to check if something can or can't be stored in the armoire without actually going up to it and seeing if it will let you store it?

It's all i50 artifact armor, achievement rewards and most seasonal gear.

Veks
May 12, 2012

KaneTW posted:

you want to prepop sharpcast 8 seconds before the pull and quelling 4 seconds, then cast fire 2-3 seconds before.

then this happens

(Eureka Instrumental) Pulling in 8 <se.7>
*presses sharpcast*
(Eureka Instrumental) Pulling in 7
(Eureka Instrumental) Pulling in 6
someone on mumble: no stop my cooldowns aren't up yet

everytime

rip sharpcast

{Same} although I think losing the crit adlo Deployment Tactics is worse.

Veks
May 12, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I'm leveling up CUL desynth and looking for tips. Right now I'm at 87 and desynthing takitaros from Urth's Gift (60 FSH). Is this a good strategy?

At what point can I finally start desynthing all those super-cheap 3.0 fish?

At around 100 desynth.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The fishing log kind of makes me wish for an in-game bestiary.

The Triple Triad cards are kinda this, they have lore blurbs or quotes in the Card List. Though a more comprehensive bestiary would be awesome too!

Veks
May 12, 2012

Add bestiary entries for FATE monsters :shepface:

Veks
May 12, 2012

Ifrit's her love, but is he her Sweetie~~?

Veks
May 12, 2012

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had queues pull me out of combat.

Yeah, you don't need to drop combat to enter an instance.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Aero 3 is also WHM's strongest spell at 370 potency, so never not have it up, even in single target fights.

Veks
May 12, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

{Same}

(this wiped us and I felt bad/am an idiot)

I've done this :v: I try not to use Fire IV on the alarums anymore. (also using Raging Strikes on alarums tsk tsk tsk)

Veks
May 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Coming back to this again a sec, in the single target opener I always seem to just miss refreshing AF3 with the F1, it gets reset to AF1 even under Ley Lines. Am I doing something wrong? :(

Yeah, only do 2x F4. The other one is only really possible in The Goblet on the dummy with like 50ms lol.

I generally do F4x2 -> F1 -> F4x2 and then if I got a F3 proc I'll do F4 -> Convert -> F3 -> Swiftcast!F4 -> B3 and so on. If I didn't get a proc I'll do F1 again -> Convert -> F4 (F3 if proc) -> B3.

Veks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 18, 2015

Veks
May 12, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The last boss in Fractal was a bit of an rear end in a top hat (on an admittedly undergeared dungeon-appropriately-geared group) until someone reminded me that Selene has a debuff clear.

Oops.

You have Leeches yourself :confused::confused::confused:

Veks
May 12, 2012

loquacius posted:

I actually didn't know that, I've been switching back and forth between ice and fire using Transpose this whole time :doh: I still don't have Blizzard 3 (or the ability to stack 3 astral fire / umbral ices), but I'll definitely just use Fire 3 to get back in burn mode from now on. Thanks, guys.

Yeah, use Fire 3 to switch back to Astral, as it'll be practice for when you get the rest of your tools. At 44 you'll get the Firestarter trait which gives your Fire 1 casts a 40% chance of making Fire 3 free and instant. That's the only other time you should use Fire 3.
Also, pro-tip for then: if you are in Umbral phase and have a Firestarter proc leftover from the Astral phase, Transpose before using it so it'll do more damage.

Never AoE in Umbral phase, refresh Thunder instead.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Aghama posted:

Does Fire 3 give you full stacks of astral fire before level 40 (when you get the 3rd stack)? I can't remember and can't find a definitive answer.

Yes.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I've been using Enochian at 58 to get used to the change that'll hit at 60. I hadn't realized before that the Bliz4 refresh gives diminishing returns on your Enochian duration instead of just setting it back to 30s. I'm going to have to spend a lot of dummy time when I hit 60 to get used to this aren't I.

Not at all. BLM at 60, outside the opener, follows a really strict F4x2->F1->F4x2(F3)->B3->(T1)B4->F3 rotation, using procs when you wont lose enochian because of them. Practicing in Ex roulette will be better for getting a feel on timings than practicing on a dummy.

Also, BLM at 60 is as mobile as it is at 50, meaning that you use procs and Swiftcast to move. Pro-tip: You can move inside the Ley Lines glyph, and don't be afraid to step out of it if you need to, it'll still be there after the AoE is gone unless it leaves a puddle.

Veks
May 12, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Yes, the ewer does nothing to someone in Darkside. I want to say it also does nothing to a blm in astral fire but I'm not sure

You do get MP back during Astral Fire from Ewer. Your rotation is so tight that it doesnt really help much, though.

Also that graphic with the cards is outdated.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Someone is gonna justify themselves with this, kill them now

Veks
May 12, 2012

Velthice posted:

this thread got really loving stupid and unfunny. post pictures of your highlanders and roes. no fleabags and leprosy people allowed

OK

New Ninja glamour, was glad to see the Thavnairian Bolero dyes so well.

The new sitting poses are good.

Me running away from this thread :v:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's something stupid to talk about instead of what we were talking about before:

I started leveling a BLM because I have a mental illness and can't stop leveling alts. Are Blizzard 2 and Freeze abilities that you'll ever want to actually use, either at some point during the leveling process or at max level, or can I safely shuffle them off to the buttons on my hotbar that are hard to reach?

No. Get them off your bars.

Veks fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 10, 2015

Veks
May 12, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Okay, game.

When I've waited for a very specific time window and a very specific weather condition and had to double mooch, I do not appreciate double mooching the wrong thing.

Fishing will kill me one day.

Are you using Patience and the Hooksets? They make double mooching so much easier. Also Cordials. And GP food. And knowing which bait has the best chance of getting the fish for the first mooch.

Veks
May 12, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The first answer is 'your tank is dumb for thinking your group can AoE that many mobs with that group comp' the second is that a single target rotation that uses every GCD is better than an AoE rotation that uses every 2nd GCD. Especially on DRG because Geirskogul.

Every class is a little different, but rule of thumb is you want to 'run out' your TP with AoE and then switch to single target. The reason I say 'run out' is because of Invig and when you use it.

On DRG with the classic 'Heavy Thrust -> Ring of Thorns, Doom Spike ad infinitum' rotation I use up until I can pop Invig without waste, then use it until I'm around 500 and switch to single target with a Ring of Thorns thrown in after Heavy Thrust where I can spare it.
On MNK, My AoE rotation is actually the same as my single target, only finishing every combo with Rockbreaker. Do the same as DRG, use Elixir Blast/Earth Render whatever at 3 stacks of Greased Lightning and when they're off CD.
NIN kind of gets shafted because of lack of Invig. Doton, knife throw to 400-ish TP, do single target combos with Katon/Doton thrown in.

NIN gets Invigorate!

Veks
May 12, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I sometimes keep it in so the battle sound effects are audible, but I find it more annoying to work with that many audio tracks, so if people don't mind there not being regular dungeon sounds in th ebackground, I'm very happy to make that change.

You can disable music while still having sound effects! Check your System -> Audio settings in game.

Veks
May 12, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine that if FFXIV gets a second expansion we could see a MNK AoE that requires a full stack of Chakra to burn.

Also please don't use Arm of the Destroyer, it's almost as bad as One-Ilm Punch. I mean maybe if you have a Spire/Turret Promotion up, but even then it's TP/damage ratio is really bad.

Let's add Wide Volley to the list of skills to NOT use while we're at it.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I have a non-trivial amount of experiences of 'things having more than 25% health when I run out of TP from AoEing' as DRG/NIN than I have as MNK.

This is probably more because of your other DPS not AoEing rather than any particular failing of those classes, though.

Veks fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Veks
May 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....Man, you guys are making me feel terrible that I turn the music waaaaaay down.

Why would you, the music in this game is really good. I mean it's FF, one of the things they (almost) never gently caress up is the music.

Veks
May 12, 2012

killstealing posted:

Yeah people who start now should take 6 years to catch up with a 6 year veteran imo. Its a more reality based system.

If only there were veteran rewards that worked just like this...

readingatwork posted:

So I'm trying to be a less terrible monk and I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone done a breakdown of just how worth it it is to always get the rear/flank damage versus just hanging out behind the monster and spamming your main combos?

2) What are other people's preferred attack flow? Are the damage over time/bonus damage attacks worth it? Or should I just spam the vanilla attacks?

3) What are some good cross-class skills to add to my arrack rotation?

4) Once I finish getting the iLvl200 gear from Idylshire, what's the next set of weapons I should work for?

Thanks in advance!

Alway hit your positionals. They are always worth it, same with damage over time effects; those tend to be the game's strongest abilities. The only exception is Fracture, really. Some people swear by it on Monk, though... You don't get much more in the way of attacks via crossclass, get Mercy Strike, it's generally a DPS boost.

After getting i200 gear, you should run VA to get an item that let's you upgrade your weapon to i210, and then start doing either the relic chain, start farming Midas for your Lore weapon or do Sephirot EX.

Veks fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 31, 2016

Veks
May 12, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also if you're checking for a threat lead wait until a few rounds of combos come out, because things like DRG really bloom on the end of their combos and will rip threat from you if you're not paying attention. And check your dps; do an initial pull to gauge how good they really are and learn which classes are awful at aoe (drg, nin) so you can gauge how good your group's aoe is. If it's not great then just single pull so you can dps stance more and the healer can be dishonest as gently caress.

Let's please dispel this myth that melee classes have bad AoE, thanks. You just had bad melee dpses.

Also, nothing worse than having to babysit a tank as a healer because they don't use a single loving cooldown but they pulled everything there was to pull. Nothing worse than "honest tanks" that only use cds on bosses.

Veks
May 12, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lol yeah ninja has great aoe dps, tell us more (I play ninja)

If you're arguing they do a nonzero amount of aoe dps, then yeah. But compare it to a summoner or BLM or even a monk, who is a melee dps that actually has pretty good aoe dps.

Klades posted:

Everyone's AoE DPS is higher than their single target DPS if you have enough targets (except PLD) but let's not pretend that the melee jobs are as good at AoE as the casters.

They can be up there, I've regularly done more damage in AoE situations than casters as DRG or NIN. You just have to remember to use your cooldowns along with your AoE abilities to make them worth it. Most melee dps don't use cds on trash packs which baffles me because Internal Release and Blood for Blood both have like a 60 sec cd, they're up for every pull. Also pubbie DRGs don't use Doom Spike at all, for some reason.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

But that requires situational awareness and attentiveness so it never happens.

Pubbies dont have these.

Veks
May 12, 2012

The Tantalus jeans are the best thing

Hamsterlady posted:

Could someone spell out the current best BLM opener for me? (the one that requires a Dunesfolk, a Scholar, or piety food)

I've tried googling around and I get about 20 different openers

It's Sharpcast+Quelling Strikes before pull -> Fire 1 -> Leylines+Enochian -> Firestarter Fire 3 -> Raging Strikes -> 3x Fire 4 -> Fire 1 -> Fire 4 -> Convert -> 2x Fire 4 -> Blizzard 3 (Thunder 1 if you have time) -> Blizzard 4 -> regular rotation

Veks fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 9, 2016

Veks
May 12, 2012

Personally, I got straight to the F3 after the Transpose. I always get enough MP back to cast 2x F2 and Flare, and enough time for Transpose to be off coldown after the Flare. Dunno why people are casting B3 there in the middle, you're just delaying your rotation...

Veks
May 12, 2012

If you're not using Ewer on yourself, you're not casting Gravity and hence are a bad AST.

Veks
May 12, 2012

The launcher also needs to be updated before it'll open, and you can't do that yet. It should be up for download a few hours before the servers are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

As apologies for the downtime or something I added [vine] and [webm] to ffgoons. I only tested [vine]. Knock yourselves out!

You don't have to apologize for anything, thanks for all of this Gaga!

• Locked thread