Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can male characters use the afro haircut?

It's available to every race and every sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Velthice posted:

omg the bennu plays the music from t12. I may actually never use another mount

You can never go wrong with hot wings.

$24.00 USD is pretty drat costly though, but it's a permanent account-wide purchase so I suppose it's justified. My excuse for shelling out the money was that today was the day I renew my sub.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, music synch in big set piece fights is wonderful and I hope they keep doing more of it. Ravana really does turn it into a dance since his attacks in the last phase line up with the song so well.

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't do this so much with Sephirot.

Speaking of Ravana, I really want there to be more voice acting in boss fights.

You'd think these would get old at some point but somehow they never do :allears:

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 31, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

What font do you use for the text? I don't appear to have one that quite matches Kelly's style, so I ended up using comic sans for my post a couple of pages back, but it kinda bugged me.

This was great, by the way!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I decided to see how bad I am at this game and joined Trial Roulette and landed The Chrysalis

Turns out I'm probably alright

that monk though

E: Also, honest healers

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Chocobo Racing tips gleaned from getting to 140 tier: Challenges are sometimes just going to be bullshit, RNGesus is a cruel master. Try again and it will be better! Or worse! You just have to beat the guy, not take first. He's usually first though.

Choco Reraise 2 seems cool if you like being the only person moving after a Choco Meteor bombardment.

If you press R1 and Start as you pick up your next tier hatchling, you will get a rainbow chocobo who never loses and also General Leo will be there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leofish posted:

What font do you use for the text? I don't appear to have one that quite matches Kelly's style, so I ended up using comic sans for my post a couple of pages back, but it kinda bugged me.

This was great, by the way!

Your first mistake was that you assumed I used a font :(

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 31, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Dely Apple posted:

If you press R1 and Start as you pick up your next tier hatchling, you will get a rainbow chocobo who never loses and also General Leo will be there.

On the subject of General Leo, Flash should be replaced with Shock.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can male characters use the afro haircut?

My male character hasn't stopped rocking the fro since it was added.

:perfect:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Your first mistake was that you assumed I used a font :(

My apologies. If you drew all the words yourself, I'm even more impressed. I was lazy. :v:

EDIT: VV :aaaaa: VV

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 31, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
seiferguy is actually Kelly IRL :ssh:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nobody prove that wrong, because I always want to believe that it's true

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I had my first failure in A8 this morning, I guess I somehow got lucky these previous weeks? I had no idea it even had an enrage...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I was curious on people's opinion in both subjects. NMs I think were a great addition in both ffxi and 1.0 ffxiv. They gave a sense of hunting and camping in the real world, something this game gives little insentive on. Whats more is they gave interesting gear as a side option. Granted, ffxi was plagued with problems when these items were sellable and overpowered, but Ffxiv 1.0 hit a nice mark of giving unique, but not expecially powerful gear. They introduced hunts, but honestly that's just another tome farm.

Also for the second, it would be nice to have a few real world dungeons. Nothing mandatory but an option for small/large groups to go through without an instance. Maybe it be maze like, hidden rooms/floors/levers... SOMETHING aside just run left, right or straight.

Heck combine both. Put an insane NM at the end. My issue is that everything has become farming in terms of tomes or parts. With the overwhelming options for currency->gear, an option would be nice

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Posted this to two different ffxiv groups on facebook and their's already one person referring to people that tank in the center as 'cuntwaffles'.

:suspense: This is going to be glorious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kithyen posted:

Posted this to two different ffxiv groups on facebook and their's already one person referring to people that tank in the center as 'cuntwaffles'.

:suspense: This is going to be glorious.

Post responses here if possible. Use social fixer to blur out the names of people. I live for the tears.

I'd consider posting this on reddit just to see the terrible opinions, but alas I'd be posting on reddit.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

seiferguy posted:

Post responses here if possible. Use social fixer to blur out the names of people. I live for the tears.

I'd consider posting this on reddit just to see the terrible opinions, but alas I'd be posting on reddit.

Ooo I didn't even think about that.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have been playing FFXIV since it was released in 2010. That's 6 years. What do I have to show for it?
1. A tattoo.
2. A 'Legacy Chocobo'
3. A now completely worthless 'Relic'
4. Most of my jobs at lvl 60
5. ALL of my gear worthless, over, and over, and over again.
6. Some achievements from 1.0
7. A Medium house I bought in 2013 upon ARR.

^ How is this to inspire me to keep going? 6 years deep into this game, and players who started 2 months ago could catch up to me.
Where is the longevity? Where is a long term achievable goal? Why are long term goals (relics) nerfed to where the grind I did for it is now quite literally, worthless? With every patch im asking myself, "I may as well not even bother, it will all be worthless again."

This is an opinion from someone who has played, and loved, this game for half a decade. Give me something to show that. I really don't care if you disagree with me either, i can almost guarantee anyone who responds to this negatively has not put in as much time to this game as I have unless they also started from the very beginning of 1.0.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Dunno how I doubleposted that. Sorry.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 31, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Source your quotes.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah people who start now should take 6 years to catch up with a 6 year veteran imo. Its a more reality based system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

Source your quotes.

Same, I'd love to see the replies to that.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

Same, I'd love to see the replies to that.

There actually aren't too many yet.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/287898-I-just-don-t-get-it.?p=3644560&viewfull=1#post36445601

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, come on, look at EVE. That's how they do it. Clearly they're doing something right!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The answer is simple: Time gate everything based on how long the patch was delayed. Oh, you're a new character? Welp, here's the 2.0 content; see you in a few months when you're allowed to get to 2.1. Only a couple years until you're allowed into Ishgard!

[quote name="OF Poster"]
drat square nerfing the time gate and letting people start at 2.0 instead of 1.0 like they should what a bunch of ripoff bastards I earned that 2.0 content through 1.0 stuff they should have to too
[/quote]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I'm trying to be a less terrible monk and I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone done a breakdown of just how worth it it is to always get the rear/flank damage versus just hanging out behind the monster and spamming your main combos?

2) What are other people's preferred attack flow? Are the damage over time/bonus damage attacks worth it? Or should I just spam the vanilla attacks?

3) What are some good cross-class skills to add to my arrack rotation?

4) Once I finish getting the iLvl200 gear from Idylshire, what's the next set of weapons I should work for?

Thanks in advance!

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

killstealing posted:

Yeah people who start now should take 6 years to catch up with a 6 year veteran imo. Its a more reality based system.

If only there were veteran rewards that worked just like this...

readingatwork posted:

1) Has anyone done a breakdown of just how worth it it is to always get the rear/flank damage versus just hanging out behind the monster and spamming your main combos?

2) What are other people's preferred attack flow? Are the damage over time/bonus damage attacks worth it? Or should I just spam the vanilla attacks?

4) Once I finish getting the iLvl200 gear from Idylshire, what's the next set of weapons I should work for?

Thanks in advance!

Alway hit your positionals. They are always worth it, same with damage over time effects; those tend to be the game's strongest abilities. The only exception is Fracture, really. Some people swear by it on Monk, though... You don't get much more in the way of attacks via crossclass, get Mercy Strike, it's generally a DPS boost.

After getting i200 gear, you should run VA to get an item that let's you upgrade your weapon to i210, and then start doing either the relic chain, start farming Midas for your Lore weapon or do Sephirot EX.

Veks fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 31, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

readingatwork posted:

Thanks in advance!

i210 weapon by running void ark (24-man raid, it's easy) and upgrading your weapon with a farthing, then i220 by beating sephirot EX, then i230 with 7 midan gears and 1000 lore, then there's 240 and 245 which are raid loot

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
I noticed while running The Lost City of Amdapor (Hard), when Achamoth does Neura Squamae and it leaves your ghost behind, it shows you with your head glamour enabled even if you have it hidden. I need to get that giant snowman head :frogc00l:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So I'm playing on a free trial and I just started tanking baby dungeons on my MRD. It's fun but the UI is so dang cluttered for me even on a 1920x1080 screen. I also wish there was an aggro icon that indicated you were about to lose hate like the one where you almost have hate but I guess that's just something you gotta get a feel for.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Technogeek posted:

I have been playing FFXIV since it was released in 2010. That's 6 years. What do I have to show for it?
1. A tattoo.
2. A 'Legacy Chocobo'
3. A now completely worthless 'Relic'
4. Most of my jobs at lvl 60
5. ALL of my gear worthless, over, and over, and over again.
6. Some achievements from 1.0
7. A Medium house I bought in 2013 upon ARR.

^ How is this to inspire me to keep going? 6 years deep into this game, and players who started 2 months ago could catch up to me.
Where is the longevity? Where is a long term achievable goal? Why are long term goals (relics) nerfed to where the grind I did for it is now quite literally, worthless? With every patch im asking myself, "I may as well not even bother, it will all be worthless again."

This is an opinion from someone who has played, and loved, this game for half a decade. Give me something to show that. I really don't care if you disagree with me either, i can almost guarantee anyone who responds to this negatively has not put in as much time to this game as I have unless they also started from the very beginning of 1.0.

This guy just wants his time spent in the game to be grandeur because his real life has suffered because of it I imagine. There will be no pleasing him. Lady Gaga go tell him he's an idiot. You've played since 1.0 right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

So I'm playing on a free trial and I just started tanking baby dungeons on my MRD. It's fun but the UI is so dang cluttered for me even on a 1920x1080 screen. I also wish there was an aggro icon that indicated you were about to lose hate like the one where you almost have hate but I guess that's just something you gotta get a feel for.

Hi, you're me from a few weeks ago. Especially the bit about wishing it would show you when you're losing enmity! You do definitely get a feel for it once you get more tanking experience. (This is my first game with actual tanking in it.) But there's a lot of factors that go into it, like who else is competing for enmity (e.g. idiot DPS targeting random enemies). I find that rotating between targets and using Overpower every few rotations will stop me from ever losing enmity.

You can actually do a hell of a lot of UI customization in this game -- scale elements, completely rearrange them, the works. It's worth checking out (look in the System menu) if you're having trouble with it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Thanks in advance!

1) Always, barring some sort of mechanic specific to a fight which means you can't or shouldn't hit positionals (because of directional parries, dodging aoes, stacking, etc.). If we hand-wave Bootshine crits as 225 potency for comparison's sake then:

6 rounds of attacks, always hitting positionals correctly = 3675 total potency (100% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always hitting from flank = 3250 total potency (88.4% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always hitting from rear = 3245 total potency (88.3% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always getting positionals exactly wrong = 2820 total potency (76.7% of potential)

So if you would've done, say, 1200 DPS if you were getting positionals right, if you sat in the rear all the time you'd do more like 1060 DPS (well, a bit more than that since your off-GCDs and Touch of Death - which are not counted in the above comparison - wouldn't give any shits about positionals, but you get the idea).

2) (In all cases, assume you'll be doing positionals correctly.)

Demolish amounts to a beefy 420 total potency: 70 + 7x 50 for the DoT. It's approximately comparable to Snap Punch so long as the DoT gets to tick twice, and it beats it (increasingly handily) the more ticks you get on top of that. Don't use it on a single target that's about to keel over dead, and don't use it if it's still ticking (unless it's just about to fall off). But if you can reasonably expect it to live through, say, your next 123 combo, it's worth applying even if the target won't live for the entire DoT duration.

Point being, Demolish is awesome, as your single highest damage, single target on-GCD ability. (Multi-target, you generally want - properly aimed - Rockbreaker, at least for 3+ targets and so long as its 120 TP cost won't run you dry of TP.)

Touch of Death is a bit of a harder sell. It amounts to 270 total potency: 20 + 10x 25 for the DoT. It's still better total potency than any of your standard rotational attacks not named Demolish, but:
- It's 80 TP (vs. 50-60 for the regular ones) and will run you dry that much faster. Mostly only a consideration in very long fights with little downtime, or in fights with heavy AoE phases where you'll want to be able to bust out some Rockbreakers.
- The DoT has to tick at least 6 times (preferably 7+) to be worth it damage-wise compared to other options. So the target has to have a fairly good life expectancy still.
- It doesn't contribute toward getting you to a refreshed Greased Lightning the way your regular attacks do. Normally this is a non-issue since GL's timer is very generous if you're actively attacking, but if your GL is at risk for whatever reason, combo your way to refreshing it before reapplying Touch of Death.

3) Blood for Blood and Mercy Stroke are straight-up damage-increases (the former being a buff, the latter being an attack). Invigorate is pretty crucial for TP sustainability. Your last two slots are more flexible, though Bloodbath is a reasonably solid choice (though definitely lower tier compared to the others I just mentioned).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

URL grey tea posted:

I noticed while running The Lost City of Amdapor (Hard), when Achamoth does Neura Squamae and it leaves your ghost behind, it shows you with your head glamour enabled even if you have it hidden. I need to get that giant snowman head :frogc00l:

That's actually a pretty sweet find IMO. Something to /p out in DF! I wonder if Fat Choco head or Moogle head would work better

I like giving little fun facts in DF. Like I always give a 1-line about what an Irminsul actually is in Void Ark, that sort of thing. Gets me a bunch of commendations too!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Summoners, I know in the opening you include a Painflare even on a single target just to get in to DWT while your cooldowns are running. On a single target/boss do you ever Painflare beyond that opening, or stick to Fester?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Only if you're in a similar situation where you need to burn an aetherflow stack and you don't have any dots up, or fester is on cooldown. Ideally, this never happens and is usually the result of loving something up.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2016

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

drunk asian neighbor posted:

That's actually a pretty sweet find IMO. Something to /p out in DF! I wonder if Fat Choco head or Moogle head would work better

I like giving little fun facts in DF. Like I always give a 1-line about what an Irminsul actually is in Void Ark, that sort of thing. Gets me a bunch of commendations too!

Fun facts for life. Speaking of Amdapor tricks, it's fun to watch people get confused when you dispell the Gremlins Misery debuff by using /rally or /comfort. The debuff doesn't really do much but it's funny.

If you are in a pre-made it's also fun to try and pass the prey in Amdapor from the Decaying Gobbue all the way to the end of the dungeon. We lost it on the way to Diabolos because our DRG forgot :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

when you have an enemy targeted there are aggro bars where your party hp/mp/etc are over the class/job icons for everyone, make it a habit to tab around all the enemies every once in awhile to see if anyone's getting close to aggroing one particular enemy off of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

URL grey tea posted:

Fun facts for life. Speaking of Amdapor tricks, it's fun to watch people get confused when you dispell the Gremlins Misery debuff by using /rally or /comfort. The debuff doesn't really do much but it's funny.

Whaaaaaat?

• Locked thread