Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Harrow posted:

I'll probably wait until Stormblood is out so I can do it as a Red Mage, though really it's just because I have so many good games to play now that I can't justify an MMO at the moment.
You've got until June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do we know what the stormblood tank is yet???
I think the better question is "are we sure we're getting another tank".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eopia posted:

So pvp people, how should I be spending my AP? I've been playing Dragoon so I spent it all on Fetter ward and Purify so far, but I would also like to be able to switch to Scholar in frontline if need be.
Isn't that stuff job-specific?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

boy are my arms tired posted:

isn't there a way to take off the gbarrel animation with a slash command? (but not actually cancelling gbarrel)
Yes, but it only works on your screen, not for any other players looking a you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey now, the system could be worse!

It could just randomly determine ALL the slots, so there's a chance you don't even see the thing you need that run, and don't even get the chance to make it to the "lose roll" stage!

:v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Literally used to be that way in Gordias. Also there were only two slots instead of four.
drat, I considered putting in "only two slots" but I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So guys I played FFXI for maybe a year around the time WoG came out. I played as a RDM/BLM mostly and while I did have fun I quit when it felt too much like a job. I'm going to list a few complaints I had with it and my purpose in this is that I'm getting an itch to try XIV. I am curious whether I should bother or whether many of my complaints are more "general MMO" and so I shouldn't.

- leveling slog was bad. I know as a RDM I'm probably the worst class to bitch about that. I remember so many nights with a flag up waiting for hours to get an invite only to wait another hour for a full group and then of course some idiot forgot his favorite weapon and we get delayed. Once at camp we maybe get a good hour in before someone has to leave and more waiting. I felt like I spent a ton of time waiting to level.

- one thing I did while with my flag up was farming crap. I lost track of how much time I wasted farming fresh mugwort to sell on the market. It was really one of the few things I could do for gil and even that was horrible. Thank god it was rarely competitive to farm.

- Which kind of brings me to how you basically had no chance being solo in a lot of areas worth your time.

- Unless I subbed NIN which I hated leveling. NIN was boring and lame to me and I really didn't like how the community essentially forced people into it if you're a RDM. I subbed BLM which likely screwed me out of parties.

I quit just before my first Maat fight and so I never experienced endgame content. Not even in the vanilla. I know XIV is apparently a lot more solo friendly which is a huge improvement if I can reliably level solo.

If the economy is not nearly as restrictive that'd be even better.

I appreciate y'all putting up with this negative post bitching about XI. Thanks for any insight y'all can provide.

Basically none of your complaints are relevant to FFXIV. It's a very different game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay wait you do need specific "sub jobs" for given jobs, but that's because there's a limited amount of cross-class skills you can equip, and an even smaller amount that are actually useful. And most of the skills you want are below level 15 in the class anyway. (Except Swiftcast, which is at 2...6?)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

In what sense? I guess of all my complaints about XI that would be the lowest and certainly mitigated if it wasn't horrible to level. I just didn't enjoy playing as NIN and it was frustrating that the community was wanting me to spend a lot of time suffering through it to level my RDM which I enjoyed. I had my refresh/haste cycle DOWN :-p.

If every main has a "preferred" sub that's not a deal breaker for me. I am more concerned about not having fun. So much of XI was doing unfun crap to do fun things.
You can straight up only take abilities from two other classes. One of these you have to level up to 15 to unlock your Job, which is a straight up upgrade, you don't need to level up Warrior separately from Marauder, and in fact can't.

Importantly, you get a large bonus to XP for classes lower level than your highest one, and there's some stuff you can do near Aleport that'll give you a ring that gives you a bonus on top of that for classes under 30 if it's equipped. So leveling up other classes for cross-class skills is fairly easy.

Saigyouji posted:

My favourite moment from patch day dungeons was the first time reaching Mega Death in Weeping City and the entire raid just keeling over at once. Reactions were great too.
I managed to survive because I remembered FF10. Felt great.

Patch day raids are amazing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

Actually no, Repairing is the real awesome thing for leveling crafting. You never have to run to a Merchant & Mender again, you never have to worry about your gear breaking at a non-optimal time and if it somehow manages to do so you can repair anywhere. Except your Squadron Barracks for some reason. It's a weird-nega repair zone.
Dark Matter is usually cheaper than a 100% repair too.

Oh and the other best thing about repairing is? You can repair gear 10 levels over your crafting level so if you get them up to 60 before Stormblood hits you're set on repairing for the entire Xpack.
You can repair in combat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also force-closes instances so you don't run into any 'wait why is nothing spawned where's the bosses where's the loot AW MAN IT DIDN'T RESET' issues. And it keeps instancing resources clear!

That's just speculative though.

It might also partly be a reaction to things like the people who fought that one FF11 boss, Absolute Virtue or Pandemonium Warden or whatever it was, for long enough that some raid members had to go to the hospital. Now there's a hard time limit on how long you can fight Titan EX in one go, so people have an opportunity to go to the bathroom or eat and those sorts of things.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I think having separate pvp abilities probably helps with this. They can keep the PvE balance and tweak for pvp with the additional abilities.
They're not shy about changing how moves work in PVP compared to PVE either. Sprint doesn't use TP in PVP, for one thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

The newbie hall actually actively discourages it. There's one stage where you're given multiple targets and told to dps a specific one, and if you attack any of the other ones five times, you fail.

The newbie hall is kind of terrible.
I think a lot of DPS classes don't have AoE skills at level 15.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gally posted:

If they'd make it so you could at least start at 101 i think a lot more people would do the upper floors of POTD. 51 is just so punishing
I haven't even bothered trying to get a group together or anything myself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Memnaelar posted:

One thing I'm not sure of - can you do leveling roulette and get into a dungeon that you're too low-level with on your secondary class but high enough for with your primary? I guess I'm thinking of how PotD advances you and wondering if that's what they do with leveling roulette or if you're restricted to your secondary class and lower on that front.
Palace of the Dead is the only thing in the game that does that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Q16: Will weekly restrictions on blue scrips and red scrips continue to be used in Patch 4.0, or will there be a new token for Disciples of the Land and Hand?

A16: Blue scrips will be retired. Red scrips will remain; however, we'll remove the weekly restriction from them. We will also add a new yellow scrip, and this won't have any weekly restrictions either. Therefore, the weekly restrictions for both Disciples of the Land and Hand will be gone

Weird?
I think that means Red Scrip will remain, and continue to be from HW sources, and Yellow Scrip will be from Stormblood stuff.

The question is if they plan to later add Green Scrip or something as a Stormblood weekly limited thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

That loving bit at the start where he is invincible for like 2 minutes doing auto crits and spamming shadethrust.
I think that's just a stoneskin. He's not actually invulnerable, he's just got some extra invisible health bar.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

It depends on how Glamours actually work because while its easy to see a GW2 Glamour Library system working, that game was designed from the ground up for it to work that way.
It didn't have that system at launch, so, uh, I wouldn't say it's "designed from the ground up" for it. The launch system you needed basically glamour prisms, but it consumed the item whose appearance you were copying in the process.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

panda clue posted:

Numbers aren't remotely inflated enough for them to have to do this. It took WoW what, 5 expansions before they did this? And their gear/stat jumps between expansions are far more significant than the gear jumps between the 14 expacs. I wouldn't expect this for a long time, if ever.
Yeah, top-tier gear from ARR lasted like, halfway through levelling up in HW, while in WoW I remember your gear from the last expansion being obsolete immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

I remember using Cryptstalker all the way to the level cap in TBC just because of the set bonus, but yeah.
Okay barring set bonuses or trinket effects, yeah, but you'd zone into Hellfire Penninsula and it'd just start spewing poo poo of higher ilvl than you could possibly get before. IIRC the item budget also changed so it was substantially more powerful, especially in HP. I think it wasn't as dramatic in Lich King or Pandaria but still happened.

• Locked thread