Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did someone say catgirl waifu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played AST yet, but looking at their abilities, it seems like it outclasses WHM in every way. What's the benefit to sticking to WHM now?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Velveteen posted:

People in this game are surprisingly nice. People actually explain fights to you if you tell them you're new and its your first time for dungeons instead of rolling their eyes and groaning about it. Maybe because I'm doing the low level dungeons and everything changes when it gets higher. Also running around doing my quests I'd get random whispers asking how I'm enjoying the game and if I needed help in anything because they saw the sproutling beside my name. Its not just one person either, I've gotten dozen of these whispers already. Its really strange and somewhat frightening how nice everyone is being.

It's nice to see when some players learn the abilities that you teach them to use. They'll progressively get better, like they'll actually turn off cleric stance when they heal. Then you have GLDs that refuse to use savage blade over riot blade because dps then say "whoa, you mean I should actually have flash on my hotbar??" :shepface:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've only played it a bit, but MCH is a little boring to me. A little weak for a DPS, so you're kind of relying on the machines to help you out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gishin posted:

Matoya's cave in FF1 had backwards talking brooms that teach you how to open the world map. "let's fighting love" is a lyric to a song in an episode of South Park.

I guess the last part is a shout out to Simpsons.

It's referencing this Simpsons episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-S5PZb8MJE

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of feel bad for people running MS quests and getting MSDR people in their party, since the DRs want to finish it ASAP and skip all cutscenes and will often start battles and lock you out.

I once got Castrum in MSDR and the team finished it with 99 minutes left :aaa: Castrum isn't particularly hard but man that was actually pretty impressive.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the macro that will automatically post in party chat that you're casting raise on a party member? I'm getting several instances where myself and the other healer end up casting a revive spell on the same dead person.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

onesixtwo posted:

/micon "Raise"
/ac "Raise" <t> <wait.1>
/p {Raise} <t> {Let's take it slow} {babybun}

DO NOT MACRO SWIFTCAST INTO YOUR MACROS

As a rule of thumb, if i'm with a pubbie healer I always assume they will do first Raises and wait till I see the icon or it has been a long enough time for me to assume they are braindead. With a pre-formed party or if you want to establish an order, decide to designate them as first or second.

Thanks! Yeah, I would never macro swiftcast since I use it for other things besides raise (Medica II comes to mind) since the 60sec cooldown is pretty quick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fluegel posted:

I've had an itch to start playing this game again. I played a Paladin to level ~37 or something and then had to quit because I didn't really have any spare MMO time. If I just want to dip my toes in again should I buy Heavensward? Are there any graphical upgrades or quality of life changes or something? If not I guess I'll just get myself a month and continue the story.

Pretty much all Heavensward content is only available after finishing ARR's main story quests, so if you're unsure, you can wait until you finish MSQ 2.55 to see if you want to continue on. The final cutscene stops on a cliffhanger and leaves with a "ALL WILL BE REVEALED WHEN WE GO HEAVESNWARD" or something like that, but so far HW content is pretty amazing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The music for Ravana is so amazingly ridiculous, it's awesome. In fact, most primal fights just have total :psyduck: music. I'm almost ready to declare this the best OST of any FF game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Finally got access to my account. My main is a level 44 PAL, but I can't remember where I left off the main story quest and it isn't in my log.

I'm also considering making an anime dragonman rogue to rehash the story.

Go to your quest log and see what the last main story quest (the quest logo that looks like a meteor) was that you completed. If you're 44, chances are you're somewhere in this area:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quest/Level_40-50

This should give you an idea of where to go to get your next MSQ.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Periodiko posted:

Speaking as a white mage, you forgot the most important change - you can now buff people still in cinematic intros.

Uhhh... I tried that last night and I still can't put protect on someone in a cutscene. At least in the beginning cutscene of a dungeon / trial.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

I'm excited that I got bliz4 because it's pretty.

I'm excited for getting Fire4 because it's also pretty.

I think you're finally understanding that true endgame is looking fabulous :sparkles:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm getting close to hitting 57 in HW, and was wondering the "things to do daily" list, which right now consists of this:

- GC turn-ins for DoH / DoL experience
- Duty roulette (LLDR, Trial, guildhests, and eventually EXDR)
- Hunts for centurio seals
- Beast tribe quests if I hate myself that day

Anything I'm missing? Anything that will be added when I hit 60?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember there was a point where the RMT bots just stopped sending tells and would just sit at an aether plaza using say to tell about their gil you could buy. But yeah, not a single one since I started HW.

Does SE actually read and enforce cheating reports? I was out farming crystals in La Noesca and I saw two people in the same guild, one running back and forth between mining nodes, and another that was stuck below a small chasm trying to jump over it, but clearly too dumb to go around. They were in the same FC, so I reported them after neither of them responded to my tells so they were most likely bots. No idea if they get around to checking that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

I wonder what happens if you do The Aery as a DRG. Because holy poo poo that kill steal at the end is dumb.

I think the bigger point with the Aery is how real it mimics an MMO, because Estinien creates a raid party, Amphinauld wants to join, and Estinien tells him he can't because he's too much of a newbie.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tarranon posted:

oh what's that, it's just people tackling the most current content in the game with nothing more than respect for each other, dedication, and a shared, genuine desire to git gud

Cid's Angels, the catch up linkshell, has surpassed some genuine statics in tackling progression content. And while there's no way for this to not come off as self aggrandizing, the fact of the matter is that the membership of this silly linkshell is stellar, and continues to amaze and surpass expectations every day, thanks to both the experienced players helping the scrubs out, and the scrubs being so curious and ready to learn.

And with Alexander raiding making it ever kinder to swap people in and out of progression groups without hurting loot drops and etc, I expect us to get better and better.

The gist is that high end raiding in this game is freaking fun as heck, and the more people we get doing it, the more fun and success is shared by all, regardless of whether they can fit into a static's schedule or not.

Cid's Angels is great. They helped me get through Leviathan Ex last night despite my valiant efforts to not fall off the boat (and failing :( sorry about that guys!).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I only have 1 more dungeon to unlock HLDR, I think it's HM Wanderer's Palace. Do you need to beat Norm Wanderer's Palace to get to it? Bloezoeng (the guy in Mor Dhona that gives it) is throwing up a red quest marker but when I talk to him he won't tell me the pre-requisite.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I can't get over how much this armor set looks like the sage from FF3 :3:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Someone did a really good post on getting your ilvl up to Alexander-ready levels:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3938468/blog/2342792/

Are there any good hunt linkshells that are available in Excalibur to join? Gotta get those seals going.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr Pepper posted:

What set is this I need it.

Chimerical Felt set. You can get it doing sidequests in Idyllshire.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

My LLDR story for the day:
Zone into SV with a 41 DRK and 2 level sync'd DPS. A DPS goes "ughhhh stone vigil. I really don't want to run stone vigil," ragequits. 2nd dps follows in his steps without a word.

2 new dps join instantly, we clear with zero issues, very quick for lldr, definitely before that person's duty lockout was up :v:

I had one guy who joined in on a LLDR and at the beginning was like "help I didn't mean to select LLDR, please kick me" but you can't kick until 10 minutes in, so he stuck around, and we finished the dungeon quickly (I wanna say it was Tam-Tara) and he was able to move on with his life :unsmith:

I do feel a certain need to rage quick Sastasha when it comes up on LLDR because I am so sick of that dungeon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mightygerm posted:

I will commend any healer that is actually using cleric stance.

As a person who mains a white mage, when I go into a dungeon to level my PLD / MCH and I see a healer sitting around waiting for someone to get hurt before dropping a cure instead of switching into cleric stance and dropping stones all day makes me a little sad. I'll generally explain that concept to them that Cleric Stance has a quick-as-hell cooldown so you should jump in and out of it indiscriminately alternating between DPS and healing. They sometimes get it, or they'll stay in cleric stance and continue to heal in it :downs:

I remember one time I was with a summoner and a gladiator. Gladiator kept using riot blade and kept saying "please use savage blade" so the summoner said "screw it, bringing out titan-egi" and had the egi tank the entire dungeon. That summoner got my commendation, for sure.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, Bismark story mode isn't hard, but somehow I got the worst party for it in a roulette.

It started off with two DPS at the beginning of the fight falling off the platform after his initial slam on the island. So we wipe. Next time the person in charge of the generator fails to activate it. We wipe again. One of the DPS that fell off the cliff yells at us for not doing our job and ragequits. Other people quit too. We wait, and more party members join - we end up getting 4 bards as DPSes. We're able to get through the 1st phase, but we get to the blue and green dragons and fail the DPS check. Party wipes a forth time. Try again, and same thing. Because they're all bards, they think they don't need to be on Bismark (despite everyone saying GET ON THE drat WHALE) to hurt him. At that point, we vote to abandon duty. 40 minutes of my life over that crap. At least I got Cape Westwind on my next duty roulette!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was originally concerned about WHM's nerfing of Holy in 3.0, but after getting Aero 3, I can say that I'm quite happy with where the class is at. Aero 3 owns, Assize owns, Holy still owns even with the nerf, Stone 3 owns and has the highest single damage potency of any healer class, and in terms of raw healing output, it's still the best. I think if you combine with a decent scholar, you get a perfect mix of raw healing and support buffs that makes fights much easier for the rest of the party.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fat_Cow posted:

I missed a 99% gathering attempt 3 times in a row. :shepicide:

That's literally a one and a million chance. The probability of getting something with a 1% chance happening three times in a row is 1 / 100^3, which is 1 / 1,000,000.

Congrats on your unlucky failure!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the chances of that happening are probably a lot higher depending on how the game's RNG works.

I swear to God that standard synthesis only has a 70% working rate since I've been burned enough times on my last craft step for it to fail that I make sure I get steady hand I up first.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

It's... beautiful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know what RP is, but what is ERP? Do I want to know? :ohdear:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pews posted:

They are class specific so just go with you main stat. The only ones that give people trouble are the arcanist and tanking jobs. But you can buy an item with grand company seals that resets it if need be.

For arcanist, your allocations go towards ACN, and not SMN or SCH, right? Meaning you can't have a SMN with high INT then switch to SCH with high MND.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

nope, it goes towards arcanist. if you main smn and swap to maining sch then you'll need to buy a keeper's hymn

they're really cheap though, if you can't afford 250 seals then you got bigger problems than 35 stat points

key point though is main, if you just play scholar occasionally then not switching isn't the end of all things, especially since 35 stat points isn't as much as it was relatively to your gear as it used to be

Fair enough. I was considering leveling up Arcanist in the future since I'm a fan of DoTs (apparently this makes me weird!) since I have all the per-requisites for SMN and SCH and my ARC is already 15, and I need a DPS class. Getting gear for them should be pretty easy. I do the daily turn-ins for my GC for each DoH class, so I'm swimming in GC seals consistently.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

See your rear end in northern thanalan were frame rates go to die and blame God.

Honestly turn off or set "others" special effects to "limited". It'll help make it more consistent. Everyone should do this though.

I'm honestly surprised North Thanalan hasn't been instanced cause holy hell those FATE trains are huge.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good to know, I'm not really feeling NIN and wanted to do something ranged and MCH wasn't doing it for me and my SMN is mid-40's.

As a career healer, I enjoy summoners in my party because of divine shield and they're the only DPS that can cast a revive spell, which makes me at ease in case I screw up or I run out of MP. So yeah, they're alright in my book.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I ran a duty roulette and got Cutter's Cry. One of the DPS was a MCH, and I noticed he wasn't losing lead shot. I said "hey, lead shot is a pretty good DoT, you should use it" and he said "that would ruin my DPS." We weren't killing enemies that fast, so I said "you might be miscalculating" followed up with some basic potency numbers, and he said "you should kill the enemies faster, then." I was a white mage in cleric stance half the time :shepface:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

Can you get divorced in the game?

Something I found on reddit posted:

Yes! I was able to keep my mount. I married my mother, as awkward as that sounds, and wanted to marry my boyfriend whom I just recruited to the game. I was able to keep all my rewards from the ceremony! :)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benson Cunningham posted:

I haven't even started a crafting class yet.

What's the best guide to check out if I do want to start one? Is it necessary? I didn't get the sense that gear was that hard to come by, but I'm only lvl 52 and I know they gave out higher lvl gear to boost you at 45 and 50 into the content to unlock heavensward. What's 60 like in that regard?

I use FFXIV guild for crafting guides, for example, here's the culinarian one for leveling up: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-cul-culinarian-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/ this guide is a little outdated, but it's still good.

General train of thought is - buy the engineering manuals for the EXP boost to get you up to 15 for each DoH class quickly to take advantage of the cross class skills (Tricks of the Trade from ALC, Rumination from CRP, Waste Not from LTW, Careful Synthesis from WVR are ones I use all the time in the mid level area). Once you're at 15, you can start doing leves. If you're overflowing with leves, the guides generally show what is the best leve to do for turn-in in terms of cheapest item. If you're strapped for leves, do the courier ones (get the leve at a town, then deliver it somewhere) as those grant the most amount of EXP. Do the daily GC turn-in as that grants a lot of EXP as well. Always go for HQ stuff, since that doubles the amount of EXP from leves and GC turn-ins.

There's also the Ixal beast tribe quests which I sometimes use for experience, because I can have my best DoH complete the build easily and then switch to my lowest level DoH class to collect the experience.

I've seen some videos of people who have grinded from 1-50 in a couple of hours just by consistently doing leves and HQ turn-ins. I'm not there yet because I don't have the patience to do such a thing :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nuru posted:

It's a nice feeling to have all your alt jobs decked out in HQ gear while leveling.

This is pretty much what I use my crafting abilities for. I also really want to get my crafting levels up to at least 50 so I can do my own repairs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My general approach to crafting has been inner quiet > steady hand 1 > waste not (if it's a 40 durability item like an ingot) > standard touch for 4 times > great strides then standard synthesis again. I finish off with standard touch. I usually get HQ on these, if my starting mats were HQ.

I just got SH2 from my CUL. Should I switch to using that and hasty touch, then repairing with either masters mend? Then once my inner quiet stacks are high enough or I get an excellent rating use standard / advanced touch? Bear in mind none of my crafting classes are to 50 yet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of PLD, I almost have mine to level 50. Are the Marauder cross-class skills worth getting? I mainly picked PLD because CNJ / WHM was my main class and it seemed like an easy extension. Mercy Stroke seems legit, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for ala Swiftcast for mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
edit: ^ ^ sweet. Getting MRD to 26 shouldn't be that hard with the tank queues.

In the remake of FF3 for DS / mobile phones, they made a stronger distinction between the fighter (called them warriors, hint hint) and knight. Warriors could do an attack that would do double damage, but decreased their defense (sadly they could not bathe in the blood of their enemies). Knights became more defensive. Dark Knights could use HP to do more damage, so really everything the tanks do in this game falls in line with standard Final Fantasy jobs with a few tweaks.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread