Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Magile posted:

Recruitment Code:

This is going to get ridiculously old real fast with the new rewards, can we get some more sirens or perhaps a blingee for the raf link in the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

In anticipation of all the garbage first time tank DRKs, I've looked up what you need to know to help them out. If you're in such a group, here is the phrase you need to use:

"spam Unleash more please :^)"

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Tolth posted:

Can someone explain to me, as a relative newbie, why Fracture is a thing?

Real answer: I missed whatever the big shitstorm was that made it a "thing", but here's what I imagine was the argument. Basically it's a 220 potency dot without the trait, which puts it just on the bubble of being worth your time to use. On Warrior you get a trait eventually that turns it into a 300 potency dot which is.. still pretty bad, but worth using if you're a Warrior. Personally I usually work it in after my maim combo.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Unguided posted:

I really love that Chrono Trigger remix at the start of the Heavensward launch trailer.

I want Chrono Trigger content so bad in this game. Magus Castle Dungeon/Raid, ehhh??? Tyranos Lair? Black Omen?? Come on SE!!

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Espilae posted:

Hildy's in a jam!

They both fall in pits, twin "in the ground" emotes.. This writes itself, come on Square.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Logged in in the Gold Saucer, bought my 3 tickets, teleported to the FC house aaaaaand lost connection. Welp :v:

edit: it's saying "World data could not be attained" so maybe don't TP there.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Here's some screenshots I got of a completely empty Gold Saucer. Also I guess this gives us time to watch the neat new opening cinematic? :v:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Guess I'll take this downtime to bitch about Mechanist a little bit. I really want to like this class. I love the idea and aesthetics of it, but there are some things that are really irking me about it.

First of all, having RNG in your 123 combo is just about the most annoying thing in the world, and not just any RNG, it's an actual 50% coin toss so you can't make any assumptions, which means you ALWAYS have to be looking at your stupid bar. Yes obviously the ammunition system is there to make it 100%, I just wish it was always 100% and ammunition did something different. Speaking of ammunition, why the hell do all GCD actions use ammunition when only 2 actually do anything with it? Yes it increases the move's potency by 20, whoopdeedoo.

Also, what the hell is up with all the 5% modifiers? That's such a troll thing to add, like yeah it's efficient to keep it up, but really? Is 10% too much to ask?

That being said, I'm still gonna stick with it until 52 and try to see the big picture and how the gauss barrel affects things.

Honestly the only thing that aggravates me is the rng in the 123, I can live with everything else. When I switch back to warrior, everything is just so clean.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I had to make a dungeon macro for LLDR that spams DO NOT USE KNOCKBACKS ON MOBS PLEASE six times and I inevitably used it at least twice every dungeon. People see an off GCD button and just press it.

lmao if you actually give a poo poo about this. If I was in a group and you did that I would use my knockback on CD, then I would knockback a different mob in the opposite direction the next time, every time. They walk back to you dumbass. Anyone that actually cares about how trash mobs are handled needs to seriously take inventory on their (numerous, I'm sure) issues .

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

screenshot worthy :colbert:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Is it just wonky or is it BROKEN? I'm thinking about what to level after my DRK and shooting things seems pretty fun.

Wonky. The biggest thing is loving RNG on your 123 combo, you can possibly be stuck hitting 1 over and over (which also kills your TP cause it's 70 a pop). Every time I don't get a proc it just irks me, which adds up to being irked about 100 times during a dungeon. Also, Gauss barrel seems to be pretty useless? I dunno that's just what I'm reading.

Also, another super annoying thing about it, is that it's possible for you to use your skill speed up move, and then make your moves come out so fast that a proc hasn't registered yet so you basically waste a move doing only 100 potency and then have to cast the same move again for the proc.

Those are my only main complaints. I don't think their damage is even that bad, but I don't care if they had the best damage in the game, RNG on 123 is just to incredibly off putting to me. Gonna go back to NIN for now.

also the sound effects aren't great

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Also, the ammo mechanic is REALLY uninspired. All it really does is make your 123 combo work like normal twice in a row. I imagined more moves using ammo to give them unique properties.

Like, I get what they were going for, the idea is you pop wildfire and unload all your oGCD abilities and use ammo and guarantee your combo for a dank wildfire proc, and that part is cool and fun for that 15 seconds. The other 75 seconds is an exercise in frustration.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Velveteen posted:

I reached level 30 and got my first job class! I'm now a scholar with fairies!

A question, when do we get some better looking outfits? I'm still wearing the same robes and cowls from level 1 but with a different colour. Like even the hats are the same!

Have you been getting green drops from dungeons at all? That's usually where the more unique looking outfits come from.

Alternatively, just wait until job level 45... :D

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Velveteen posted:

Are those the pink equipment? I haven't gotten any my level but I did get a few from greed rolls after doing the low level dungeon group. But they were so weak by the time I got them that I haven't put them on. I guess I'll just have to keep looking plain until 45 then its fashion time!

no, the pink ones are pink drops, the green ones are green drops D:

Pink drops are just better versions of normal, craftable gear. Green drops are actual unique dungeon specific items.

e: fb

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2015

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

So how do end game SMNs and SCHs feel about their pets? I've hear whispers they become kinda deadweight? Thinking about leveling an ACN but the pet element is what I like the most about the classes.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

bad framerate in the gif, but I thought this was amusing :v:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Anyone having problems with exp and insists they've been doing side quests I can only assume have been completely ignoring roulettes at this point. I've been doing my roulettes daily since the expansion came out, and I've done all the quests in early grassland, snowland, and chocoland, and then COMPLETELY skipped over every single sidequest in moogleland (ready to get the story on the road), and STILL finished the 3rd dungeon at lv 57, with another class at lv 52.

Also, do your hunts, at least the ones for zones you can fly in. Huge exp for 0 effort.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Have they fixed the ..bug? (I guess?) where using Rapid Fire will let you use your moves so fast you that 123 procs haven't proc'd yet? That poo poo was honestly the straw that broke the camel's back for that class for me.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

So obviously Fell Cleave is the cornerstone that brings the Warrior's whole new package together, and I love it.

But I also am loving this heal button equally as much for different reasons.It just give so much utility and peace of mind. Like, "Hey healer I don't really like how you're letting me sit here at constantly 30-40% hp" use the heal button. "Whoops lagged/messed up a mechanic" use the heal button. "Yikes someone else messed up and the healer is concentrating on them" use the heal button. Hero pull? Heal button. Switch back to defiance and take a big hit at the same time? Use the heal button. It's great.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Wooze posted:

Hey, so, is no one playing PvP or is it a Duty Finder thing where there's room for 10 healers, 38 DPS and 2 tanks (I'm a tank)?

I haven't played any PvP since the expansion dropped, and I was playing at least once daily before then. Now that I'm 60, I'd be playing again if it dropped fkn law instead of poetics, but it doesn't, so I don't.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

more like dICK posted:

Bismarck is a bad fight because Bismarck is barely involved.

Huh, I couldn't put my finger on why I wasn't totally digging this fight. I like the music and the mechanics and the setting, but I think you hit the nail on the head bud.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Tarranon posted:

I've never experienced the joys of wow style dps epeen fights and I don't want that to happen here, but I've also done enough Bismarck ex groups with good people that want to do well but aren't pushing out the numbers and are confused as to why they're failing that I can't help but feel There's Got To Be A Better Way

I started using ACT two nights ago to try and improve my own play since I really want to try and keep up with content now that I've caught up to the gear curve and I've never played an MMO seriously before this, and DPS checks seem to be A Thing.

But yeah I was in a Bismark EX group that kept failing the water/wind dps check by like 1-5% last night and one of the dps consistently had less damage than me (tank), while the other 3 had ~twice as much. And I was just like, man I don't wanna put this guy on blast, but also drat we just wasted like an hour and a half failing on the same part. Weird situation. I just didn't say anything.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed about Fractal Continuum's last boss. That's a very hard-hitting tankbuster on a very short timer, I have yet to run a group that oneshots it. Frankly, it's just not very fun, and I would much rather run around Neverreap and swing my axe around for ludicrous crits on adds.

I'm sorry to say you may have just exposed yourself as A Bad Player. :saddowns:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Is there a newbie thread for this game? I'm just starting out and tanking dungeons and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

{Overpow} {Do you have it?} {Please use it.}

But seriously use that move like 3 times on each trash mob pack. Also get GLA to 22 at some point for provoke and flash. No rush, just sometime before 50.

Other than that, my personal nugget of advice I would give new players is use ALL your cooldowns, on cooldown - especially when you get a new move. I don't care if you think it's a bad move, or if you think it's not an optimal time, or if you want to "save it for an emergency", or if you're scared of the Berserk 6 second pacifist debuff. The 1-50 dungeons have a huge amount of leeway, it's best to get a feel for your cooldown timings and how they all interact with each other.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

The former, without a doubt. With the latter, the tank is only doing 25% more damage while the healer is doing 100% less.

I know the original question is from a few pages ago, but yeah the concept is retarded. Any DPS worth their salt will be at least trading aggro the entire time, and if they have aoe then it's no contest. If the tank does somehow hold aggro the whole time it's likely because the dps understand he's an idiot and are holding back on purpose.

edit: to get it on a new page

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2015

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

vanbags posted:

Apparently I need to replay FFT. I beat it was a kid, but gave gently caress all about the story back then.

FFT is my favorite FF and it's not even a contest, and the lion's share of the reason is because of the story. But I did stop mostly giving a gently caress as soon as everyone started turning into random garbled monsters/side quests. I'm pretty sure this is the most obscure of references.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

How did no one post this one???

quote:

Q36. Do you have plans to introduce a Haurchefant minion or painting?
A36. Since we're receiving lots of requests for this...let's add this in Patch 3.1!
:yayclod:!

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Kuai posted:

I got kicked out of an Aery for AOEing on SMN and "not following target marks"

Whenever I see a tank start putting down marks I know I'm in for a good time. They are almost always atrocious at holding aggro. When I switched from tank to SMN and started taking aggro all the time I was like "maybe it's me?" Then when I switched back to tank and had 0 issues holding aggro for smn's I was like "no, it's definitely them".

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

I put down marks if I see the DPS going for two different mobs at once.

And then one of them will proceed to ignore the marks anyway.

This actually makes sense as a summoner, because the less monsters that are alive, the less dots you have going. Ideally as a summoner you want every monster to die around the same time.

And this is also why kill marks are stupid.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Silvergun1000 posted:

So another Goon MCH and I did some testing earlier and found something really interesting. He was complaining that his DPS was really low and watching his rotation, I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed his Lead Shots were ticking for about half of what mine were. His gear wasn't a lot worse (I was 175 vs. his 170, we both had the 180 gun), but the damage per tick was so much less. To test, I swapped out some accessories to get down to 170, and sure enough, my DoT was ticking for around as much as his was.

So long story short, it looks like the scaling on MCH damage might be kind of crazy.

I made a reddit thread for visibility https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cw4st/the_problem_with_mch_may_be_that_their_scaling_is/

pandaK posted:

I wonder if the same applies to all the other classes and the new ilvls are just skewed as gently caress

A curious thought, maybe?

edit: vvv ty math is hard

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 11, 2015

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

At this point you're either full of poo poo, misremembering or in denial. Record it or something

There were about 5 people standing around watching it happen just like he describes it and all were equally puzzled. But other people on reddit are saying 500 is impossible in i180 so I dunno maybe it's a visual bug or something

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

Really? Guess I better unsub now that I'm 60

Unironically what I did after clearing alex normal. Great game but not worth 15/mo for the anemic amount of end game content. I plan to buy the next expansion and get the free month and catch up and clear all the new content within it, then repeat for every expansion after.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Hey what's up everyone?

Quick question - where is this game at in the patch cycle? As in, about when can we expect the next patch, or how long ago was the last patch? I'm getting the itch to resub for a month or two but I want to make sure I hit it at a good time. Haven't played since just after A1-4 came out for what it's worth.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep my eye out for the next live letter :)

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

If you're really Bout Dat MGP Grind, imo the best thing you can do right now is play the lumberjack game outside of verminion. You can get 400 MGP a pop pretty reliably after a little practice.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Yeeeah I'm number 1! Holding it down for PBC on the Verminion front.

Of course, there is a 100% chance I'm not #1 by morning when the tournament ends, but let it be known, when it counted (right now, at the time of this post), we were #1.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

Glad to hear literally everything about TT, a bad mini game, is complete bullshit.

Good job finding good cards now find more poo poo ones before you can actually use them. Then gently caress you anyway you're doing random!

This is by far the shittiest thing about TT, which I like a lot. It was actually a pretty good and fun challenge getting up to 60 cards, then suddenly - gently caress you!! your reward for all that is that 90% of the 3.0 NPCs all have random rule AND awesome cards! Hahaha!!!

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Do you chuckleheads really need a program for cactpot? Come on...

Just do some variation of this, depending on the free space

X O O
O X X
X O O

and take a stab at a 123 line if there's a chance, or at a 987 line otherwise.

That's literally all there is to it.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Anyone else having trouble loggin on? I'm getting this error:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

Smart Car posted:

That's because the servers are down right now for a patch.

Ohh, ok thanks :)

• Locked thread