Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I don't understand people who a) Like Krystal, b) Like Assault, and c) Care about the story and continuity of Star Fox.

She is a fox girl with big tits who wears a bikini. It is not difficult to understand where her fanbase lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big-name Nintendo games basically sell at a reliable regular pace for the entirety of the system's lifecycle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

I'd love it if the BGM had lyrics kick in when you get Wolf down to low health, but they're in the same faux-speech as the original SNES game

Well now I'm going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NLJP posted:

e.g this is why successful reboots usually shake things up more.

Rachet and Clank's recent reboot is just "the Rachet and Clank remake people wanted with no frills" and is being extremely positively received.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ratchet and Clank is generally a pretty awesome game that doesn't have players wrestling with an awkward control scheme over the course of the game, while also looking damned pretty to boot.

I like how you're assuming that I haven't played R&C and also that I think SFZ is going to be amazing. I didn't actually know what Giantbomb's review for R&C was, I was just pointing out that a no-frills reboot released this very month did very well and that successful reboots don't necessarily have to shake things up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly don't think it's that funny or out of place.

Star Fox is a rail shooter arcade franchise which is a completely dead genre in the modern market, at least at full price and budget. It's a legitimate question if it has a place in the modern market. Part of the reason Nintendo kept trying to reinvent the wheel was because it was increasingly clear even in the 2000s that Star Fox didn't have a niche in a market that increasingly was against that style of gameplay and it was either change the franchise or put it to rest. It looks like the answer is going to be 'it really doesn't have a place in the market anymore.'

This doesn't mean SFZ is good or bad but merely that it probably isn't the right kind of game anymore. (And I think, based off my own experiences with the game, that the 'awkward control' complaint is going to be pretty overblown except for maybe the gyrocopter segments.) I think the honest truth is that a middling-difficulty score-focused rail shooter released for $60 isn't going to be high on anyone's play list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, Star Wars : The Old Republic (the MMO) did starfox-style levels a couple years ago, and lots of people enjoyed them and remarked on how they'd like a full star fox style game in this day and age..

People liked those as part of a larger overall game rather than their own self-contained game. Which I think is a place where rail shooters do still have a place. (Even the aforementioned R&C has All Range Mode starfighter levels for example.) But that is what a lot of people will view them as. Minigames rather than part of the whole game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the rail shooter could totally be a great genre. With the advent of VR technology I'll bet we will be seeing stuff like that. The thing is, the only reason the genre is dead is because all the ones released Star Fox 64 have sucked. As far as I can tell the only notable exception is Panzer Dragoon Orta and Sin and Punishment, but I've never played those. I don't blame the genre though, I blame the developers for not having the imagination to make a good game. I mean, Call of Duty is like two steps away from being a rail shooter, it's not like it would be totally inconceivable that people would like a high quality rail shooter. Instead we get poo poo like Rambo

The rail shooter genre isn't dead but the full-priced large-budget rail shooter genre? That's something else entirely. There is plenty of room for Indie Star Fox clones (and I imagine VR stuff will pump that up further if it takes off) but the rail shooter genre is designed for short replayable games for obvious reasons. They don't extend to long games very well. And short replayable games are something you expect from a $15 indie game, not a $60 full budget game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah but what if you never wanted that game. Like its cool they added some tower defense game there but if thats the reason why the game is $60 dollars than thats pretty hosed

You can buy it digitally without it but it's like $50 instead of $60 then IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

So have you never played a Star Fox game before? Or been aware of them before the Wii U one was announced??

I like Star Fox but the combined playtime of every one that isn't poo poo is probably around 7 hours for 100%ing everything. Anything beyond that is aiming for high scores. (or multiplayer which is an unfortunate absence.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really bewildered by the complaints about how difficult people are finding the controls. I haven't even had a learning curve, and it isn't like I play Splatoon. I wonder if it is just throwing people off that it isn't identical to SF64 controlwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

I thought the complaints were odd since Nintendo had already nailed gyro aiming in a number of 3DS and WiiU games.

Well even beyond that you don't need to use them all the time. You can spend a good chunk of time playing it like traditional Star Fox and it's actually pretty easy to eyeball the accuracy so you don't even need to constantly look down at the control pad for precision aiming. I think the poster above is right and people may be over-using it and not realizing it's not a requirement.

Edit: That said, the Gyrowing so far is the weak point of the game to me, not because it's uncontrollable but because it's way more boring.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

After playing so much Splatoon, the gryo controls in this came very easily to me. Only thing I have trouble with is the target mode, but I'm probably not doing it right.

I should be looking at the gamepad for that, shouldn't I? I figured...

Generally yeah, look at the gamepad for that.

One thing I've noticed watching people stream:

Holy poo poo people, you do not need to use target mode *constantly.* Especially with Star Wolf fights and such it actually is better to use it only to quickly lock on and then drop it. It's not great for dogfighting on its own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Trying to fly circles around a boss while using the cockpit view to aim inward is a loving nightmare in this game

I wonder how many people defending the controls have done the Corneria secret boss or the land master in the desert boss. I liked them a lot until then.

I have? I literally can't figure out what your problem is with the Corneria secret boss. I gold-ranked it my first try. It's incredibly easy. The landmaster boss too for that matter.

Like it's literally "fly in a circle around it, aim to the side, shoot the vulnerable points, ???, profit!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawfish posted:

They are really awkward. I wouldn't say Kid Icarus levels of awkward, but someone described this games controls as "trying to pat your head while rubbing your belly" and it's something I'd agree with.

When you are able to get your head around them they are probably some really enjoyable controls, but I can understand why people who haven't got to that point have gripes about them.

I really don't see it unless you're trying to use the gamepad aiming for everything. 60% of the time it's exactly like Star Fox 64 with slightly different controls, 20% of the time it's walker or gyrocopter stuff which is still fairly simple and the other 20% of the time you're basically just glancing down at the controller for a few moments.

Like I seriously do not understand how people are 'fighting' the controls when it is mostly generic Star Fox.

Angry_Ed posted:

So I'm someone who could never get used to Splatoon's gyro aiming but I'm getting acclimated to Star Fox Zero's aiming scheme a bit better. However there is one thing I'm having trouble with, and that's doing somersaults with the sticks rather than the x button. Is it that I just flick the left stick down and the right stick up simultaenously? I feel like my timing is just off or i'm trying to cheat it by already boosting or ascending while trying to do the other.

Game's pretty fun otherwise, though I'm a bit annoyed that in one of the Zoness missions When you're escaping the base as it explodes they throw like 5 searchlights right at you with no warning. Completely messed up my up-until-then stealth run. Oh well, lesson for next time

You have to press both strongly upwards at the same time, not just press them upwards. It's a little weird and using the button is just easier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Star Fox never had a forced perspective camera

And a second screen to look at that might be pointed 90 degrees offset from your TV

It's not the controls per se

What does it matter where the screen is? I'm still not clear what your actual issue is, you just keep saying 'it's bad.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

It is not easy to keep your land master straight (holding up and to the right based on the cinematic camera perspective) when you are trying to turn your reticule to the left using gyro. It's also not easy to look at your TV to dodge when you are looking off to the left of your TV at the tablet to secure your 90 degree angle to make your shots.

You don't need to look at the TV screen to dodge constantly? You have plenty of vision just from your front cockpit which is a way the game has been playable since before Star Fox Zero. It sounds like you're constantly trying to look back and forth when that is 100% unnecessary.

AdmiralViscen posted:

(that you need to check your TV to estimate the limits of)

What? Why? I can't even figure out how looking at the TV would help with this. You can see that on the bottom screen and everything.

AdmiralViscen posted:

If you like it that's good too, but it sure isn't the same as prior games.

It absolutely is, it sounds like you're convincing yourself the controls are more complicated than they are. Like you're describing this insane complex game where you're trying to look at two screens at once at the same time and it really isn't that. You can focus on one screen almost entirely.

The fact that you insisted that people would obviously be confused and bewildered by Aquarosa makes it sound a lot more like you're misunderstanding the controls than anything. If you're not then I really don't understand your descriptions at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

Trying the aquarossa fight. It's kicking my rear end, but it feels that I'm just really bad at it, as opposed to trying to fight with the controls or the second screen. Trying to do strafing runs and then backing off when it's going to use the electric shield is pretty simple, but I keep flying into the lasers like an idiot and I tend to ignore the the shots of the small fry as I'm trying to shoot down the turrets.

Basically there are two options. One is strafing runs but the other is just to fly in a circle around it and boost when one of the lasers is about to fire. As long as you aim to the left (or right) and properly manage break and boost you can reliably just fly in a circle and occasionally move to the side when you see the center thing begin to spark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark Souls 3 is the better game for sure but they're in such different genres you can't really compare them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

So I guess I'm retarded at the controls still because the free range mode or whatever still eludes me a bit. Is there a certain thing I'm supposed to do to kill that pig fucker on level 3? I just turned using brakes and boosters to catch him behind me and then hit him with some lasers and charge shots until he zoomed out of my view, but it felt like that took way longer than it should have and it was tedious as hell. And the one guy kept telling me to use the targeting thing but all that does is show me that he's perpetually behind me and doesn't seem to help me do anything about it.

ProTips?

For basically every dogfight:

Don't lock on constantly. Use it if you lose track.
Do a loop to get around them.
Use rapid-fire lasers instead of charge shots if you can, they add up damage quickly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also Christ the medal on that thing is beating it in 2:10:00. How do you even begin to get close to that?

I did it my first time through. Just do strafing runs and then when it swaps to phase two just circle around it and shoot. Or you can just circle around it the entire time but I found the strafing runs faster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I must be missing something here. My tactic was to strafe the top and blow up the cannon that creates the laser powerup and one other, before weakening two more. Second strafe run blows up the entire topside before phase 2 is a thing. But when phase 2 activates I find it basically impossible to efficiently kill the turrets because there's so little time to get in and deal damage before the shield bumps you out.

That is why I mean "fly around it." Just circle around the entire Aquarosa and aim to the far right/left. If you're just outside the range of the emp that also puts you at exactly the perfect range to just snipe the remaining ones without getting close.

Jarogue posted:

Try to get up to 5 smart bombs on Corneria and Bomb the last five beams since it one shot them.

I really need to use bombs more often, I keep forgetting I have them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly dont get what the problem they have with the controls is. It's exactly like Star Fox 64, the only change is being able to fine-tune your aim with the gyroscope.

There are some changes but I don't think they're necessarily bad. The only ones I'm iffy on are the changes to loop and u-turn but since those have dedicated face buttons it isn't a big issue. Barrel Roll screwed with my muscle memory a little but it's easier now. (And honestly the game is a looooot less reliant on barrel roll compared to 64, probably because it isn't on a button you can tap easily.)

codenameFANGIO posted:

I do not like that if you fail a level enough times they will throw a score-negating invincibility powerup in your path that you must actively avoid.

I did not know this is a thing but it does make the Polygon thing funnier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, "forced gimmick" doesn't fit with the walker at all. It's a viable and reliable too in your arsenal and learning how to master it and when to transform/untransform helps a lot.

The Gyrocopter sucks though. It's just so frigging slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't even know this, so maybe the game should had said that during one of the twelve million times it had the characters yell at me to use the cockpit view.

IIRC it's literally something the game mentions during the tutorial and is also mentioned on the controls.

• Locked thread