Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

OK so I've been looking at where to order the game and I'm a bit confused, even after looking at the spergy posts on the FM forum by ManteoMax.

So it looks to me like the only way to get the Deluxe or Ultimate editions are digitally from the Xbox Store. Stores like Gamestop, Bestbuy, Amazon etc. all have only the regular version available.

No big deal, BUT I must have the BMW M4 Team Forza pre-order car. Because. But this car is only available from retail store pre-order. But I can't figure out which store. Looks like Gamestop gets the STi and Amazon has the Hellcat, but which one has the M4?

But even if I get that info, its still pretty much useless because I don't see the point in NOT getting the Ultimate edition, which won't have the car I want. I know in previous games, the pre-order cars are opened up for DLC purchase a few months after the game releases, but I WANT THE CAR AT RELEASE!!!

I guess the only option is to buy the digital Ultimate edition, then the DLC code off loving Ebay or something. Why the gently caress wouldn't they release the Ultimate Edition at retailers so people can get the cars they want?

/ :spergin:

Well, the main benefit of the ULTIMATE (DOES NOT INCLUDE EVERYTHING) Edition is the Early-access by a week which kind of puts it out of retail's realm - but yes. Preorder bonuses are retarded, and I definitely bought multiple copies of Forza 2 and 3 and 4 to ensure I got the most complete set of cars I never raced possible (while selling the extra copies at a loss.) :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Goodwood Hillclimb (and Half Life 3) confirmed

(this tweet has since been deleted)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont like ahead/behind indicators. I think people should have to actually look to see if a car is catching them as a gameplay mechanism. With the occasional radio call from the pit lane with split times, or even a dynamic pit board.

The game should be locked in cockpit mode only, is what you're saying.

In which case the proximity meters are ONLY used to tell that some dumb gently caress is trying to pass you on a corner that has no passing opportunities and he's 1 meter away from your right rear door trying to dive down the inside through your blind spot. Which is their only use now, no one uses them to avoid having to look behind them or whatever this story is.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I only race in cockpit mode so I'm acutely aware of the mirror because it's the only real method of situational awareness + the distance meter if you're using a wheel, because there is no thumbstick look functionality on wheels.

If you're just saying you don't like the boring numbers rather than something a bit more in-character (arrows or whatever) well, that's like, your opinion man, and you're welcome to it because I'm an advocate of immersion.

But Generic Arrow pointing left doesn't convey 'hey there's a car 3 feet away from you don't do anything weird' quite as immediately as "Distance to enemy Jaguar: 1 meter"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the issue with flags is in real life they're deployed at the judgement of someone who can actually use a brain, in games they're at the mercy of being deployed when X, Y, and sometimes Z but never Q conditions are invoked and like all game logic systems, rely on development that usually involves "outside-the-box" thinking - such as - the sticky ground on some tracks to prevent cheaters from cutting corners.

But then you get massive amounts of idiots crying that sticky ground is soooooooooooooooo unrealistic and omg it's disgusting and casual!!!! as they crash into barriers at 220 mph and then drive away (which curiously almost never gets brought up in the sooo unrealistic griping.) They'd say the same thing about any flag system because it would be unfair when it happens to them and unfair when it DOESN'T happen to everyone else.

If there was a flag system like Dizzle mentioned, guaranteed the 3rd person controller drivers who never drive anything but the cheateriest cars would use it to grief everyone else. This is how vidjagames work.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
D-d-d-d-ouble post!

FM.net posted:

Today’s Forza Garage announcement kicks off with a bang with the announcement of ten FIA Formula E cars making their debuts in Forza Motorsport 6. The original 2014 Renault Spark SRT_01E made its worldwide debut in Forza Motorsport 5 as a DLC car – this time, the entire field of the 2014/2015 FIA Formula E season will be represented for the first time in a console racing game.

Here are the other cars we are announcing today:

2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
1963 Volkswagen Beetle
1975 Fiat X1/9
2015 Lexus RC F
1988 Lamborghini Jalpa
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Lotus Exige S
1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata
2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG
1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi
1997 BMW M3
1969 Nissan Fairlady Z 432
2014 Maserati Ghibli S
2013 Audi RS 4 Avant
1949 Mercury Coupe
1994 Honda Prelude Si
1991 Honda CR-X SiR
1971 Plymouth GTX 426 HEMI
1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"
2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
2009 MINI John Cooper Works
2005 TVR Sagaris
2010 Renault Megane RS 250
2003 Volkswagen Golf R32
1995 Volkswagen Corrado VR6
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
1983 GMC Vandura G-1500

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_forza_garage

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

Sticky grass is fine in concept, it's more that in certain places it's terrible. Dumping one half of one wheel onto the grass at Indianapolis shouldn't send you from 200 to 40 in less than 2 seconds. In places where it's there to prevent people from cutting chicanes it's perfectly acceptable, though also very inconsistent (ie you can cut the chicane at Suzuka and gain a 5+ second advantage no problem).
And we're back to video games having to make judgement calls on what's "cheating" and what is merely incompetence and this is why flag systems aren't as easy to implement well as they seem.

Personally I preferred the dirty lap system from 2 over what it became in 3 and beyond because it allowed corner cutting but it added massive amount of penalty time so did a better job of dissuading off-road excursions as the tradeoff almost never paid off.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Crowds are 3D this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYImduzOl4

Bunch of other new videos,

Ford GT and other info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmpzCtKJZs

How they add new cars to the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb7LPGE-B78

How they built the weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEHfi4TgkA

How they've improved Drivatars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twI0RSVwnR0

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you had a hard time getting credits at any point in Forza 5 you a) Either weren't playing it, the payouts were low but not egregiously so before the economy patch that happened 10 days after release (I earned enough for an F1 car before the patch by.. simply playing the game, with zero repeating anything bullshit for cash) or b) Never heard of Forza Hub where they throw billions of credits at you monthly and have since before the game came out.

I did have the VIP bonus all the way through, though. That may be why it didn't bother me at all.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Those fantasy concept cars are the biggest waste of time in game development history aside from the 8 year period where Polyphony simply did nothing at all.

I'm completely incapable of giving a single poo poo about imaginary 4700 mph spacecars that will never have any bearing on actual car development.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, and it's been brutally painful for at least 4 games now to try and limit by year or PI in lobbies or offline races. Have fun spending 6 minutes going down 1 PI at a time until you get to 350, and then you get to do it again down to 370. (or whatever.)

They really need to put cars into groups so you can just pick "70's Trans Am" or "50's Classic Roadsters", "D class NO loving PT CRUISERS" etc.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Laserface posted:

Can one of the Wheel-spergs explain why you want belt drive over gear drive?

the helical gears in that new logitech wheel shouldnt have much lash or noise (helical gears are used in actual gearboxes for this reason) and wouldnt be prone to the elasticity of belts stretching under high load.

Because metal on metal (or more likely at these price points, plastic on plastic) transmitted through a 4" spindle directly into the palms of your hands feels definitely grittier and more notchy, and since the point of a wheel is to replicate reality it feels a lot less like a real car's steering wheel. The belts that the belt-driven ones are using now are kevlar and are essentially stretchless.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A sense of pride, the admiration of your friends. Other than that, nothing really.

EXCEPT GETTING TO PLAY IT A WEEK EARLIER THAN THE PLEBES.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I feel like Vermont's deciduous canopy would wilt in the heat of Abu Dhabi somewhat quickly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's essentially 'Ways to make the game harder for yourself because you're too unimaginative to drive anything but the fastest leaderboard car, ya mook"

Things like "Make me start in last place every time" or "turn off rewinds" for extra cash/XP. I think they likened it to being basically the Skulls system in Halo.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, there's really no reason not to get The Version That Costs The Most because it gives you the game a week early and gently caress waiting for things you want now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yep, finally a preorder "bonus" I can get behind.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
30fps is fine in Horizon, because it's not a sim.

60fps in Motorsport is critical and it's the reason Forza is easily the best racing game on any console, because it maintains a 100% locked 60fps at all times, so your physics calculations (the portion where the tires meet the ground) is exactly consistent 100% of the time and is never affected by dipping shitshow frame drops due to overextending the engine to get in EVERY feature instead of just THE ONES THAT WORK.

I'm fine with Turn 10 ditching any feature that hurts the 60fps lock. Which is why there's no weather or time of day changes dynamically.

60fps uber alles.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Race cars are boring, and interesting and weird road cars are the best.

Also nice of them to keep including my '08 M3 instead of 'updating' it with the 1% cosmetic change that happened over the E9x's production run.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In honor of the demo release today I parked in the exotics parking section at work

Turn 10 really dropped the ball in terms of their support for yellow VW-chassis'd fiberglass pieces of poo poo that leak buckets of oil everywhere on the car list (preorder cancelled!)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Panda and/or L_,
go win this for us
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/ForzaFuel

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Except that absolutely did not happen in any way shape or form.

e: Beaten

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think you'll find it to be a worthwhile purchase. I loved F5 with a controller, but 6 is going to shine now that my Fanatec setup is here. The 10th is going to be a busy day what with the start of the new NFL season too... anyone know exactly what time the game release is supposed to happen/be available to actually play?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one living in Seattle. I probably know a dozen people I'd feel comfortable texting for a discount.
The guy I bought my M3 from was a senior program manager in the Xbox division who also happened to be the main guy responsible (guilty?) for bringing Party Chat to the Live service in 2008 (I like to think, on my many, MANY suggestions to do so) but alas he no longer works there so I was forced to pay FULL PRICE!!! Man. Now I'm sad, I used to get all sorts of free Xbox & 360 stuff (they called the first Xbox the Xbox)

Also, I tell people I work at a bank so they don't text me for discounts on what my company actually sells. Although rides in Lambos would make me more amenable to sorting out hookups. :v:

WienerDog posted:

Yes. The store page says Ultimate Edition unlocks at 13:01 UTC, which Google tells me is 09:01 Eastern Time.
Thanks buddy! I knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't find it again in the ridiculous rats-nest of terrible microsoft/xbox websites that barely function at the best of times and all try to funnel a signed-in user (Me) towards buying a product (the pre-order) that I already own and paid for.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
For the Ultimate edition yeah. Starts Thursday.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would totally start your checking account at 500 instead of 001 so all of america's check-takers would know you were legit, man

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It seems to be preloading ahead of time, so you should be able to play as soon as they flip the switch saying it's open for business.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well you're Canadian so wouldn't that be about.... 23 degrees celsius? Where 10 is hypothermia and 30 is heat death of the universe.

(I find that 270 or 540 works best in Forza games or tankslappers become a lot of effort to save.)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

After spending 5 hours troubleshooting, I finally got the Fanatec Clubsport to work. Can't say I enjoyed the experience, but holy fuckballs what a great way to play once it's working.

Gamer tag is drgitlin, but I won't be around much for the next week and a half (get to drive a real Huracan for a few days and then down to COTA for the new TT launch so feel free to hate me).

Weird. I plugged mine in and everything worked fine (Updated the firmware/drivers first).

I just uploaded a livery for the Mini Cooper, everyone should go uprate it so I get a billion credits for doing nothing but uploading something on the first day.
I tagged it "Mini Cooper Classic Rally Gold British Livery"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dr. Faustus posted:

Race Summary

Never stop taking recap pictures man, you're great at those. Really captures the essence of the action.

And the first friend Drivatar that popped into my game was D1zzle, and he promptly slammed his Mazda RX-something into the wall at a high rate of speed while in first place (I'm not kidding, it happened like twice over the course of a few successive races.)

If it's random that it's picking Mazdas for Dizzle, that's too bad that it's not tuned to his actual preferences - but I was impressed because it really looked like his style of driving/car choices.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, there were a lot of bugs with the private race lobby we were running earlier, drivatars missing names, settings resetting to default every time you went into the game options, etc. Luckily they have a bunch of Beta testers who paid extra so I'd be surprised if they don't get that fixed up by the real launch.

I also just shared this livery for the Merc 190 Evo with a brushed nickel roof/hood.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 11, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Did live go down for everyone or just me?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
OK, well I'll be back when I can. Boo.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

im trying out the nurburgring 125, it seems like the drivatars are harder in showcase events. kicking my rear end on pro

Really? I didn't see unbeatables again after I got past Adenauer Forest on lap one.... UNTIL I loving RAN OUT OF GAS ON LAP 5 because the gas gauge is just an unmarked white line that looks like it's part of the throttle/brake telemetry or something :argh:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

I swear I'm not working for thrustmaster but I'd say the TX is equally as good as the Fanatec CSR Elite wheel. The brand isn't known for good stuff but this wheel is actually really good.

I swear I'm not working for Fanatec but I'd say that the CSW v2 with universal Xbone Hub is a large margin better than the Thrustmaster TX although that is a perfectly fine wheel too.

The novelty sized pretend rim was my biggest letdown with the Thrustmaster, but now that I've had some time with it, the CSW v2 is also a lot smoother action in general and feels more like a real car. It's also considerably more expensive.

Norns posted:

Would it be a step up from my G27 on PC?

Everything belt driven is a step up from G25/G27's. It also has the side benefit of, y'know, working on the Xbone.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just ran out of gas from first place on the straightaway of the Nordschleife on lap 5 of a 5 lap race in D class vs Unbeatables, literally a half mile from the finish

because it's free play, there's no end of race timer. The AI did not pit because it was never more than 500 feet behind me.

No credits, no XP, no affinity :shepicide:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I did 4.5 laps of the Nurburgring Full (GP + Nordschliefe) in the Z4 GT3 car before running out, and only 4.8 laps of the Nordschliefe alone in a D class Trueno, which should THEORETICALLY get better gas mileage.
Adding the GP track adds 3.2 miles to the length x 4 laps, so the GT3 car did roughly an additional 13 miles before running out of gas. So maybe tank size is modeled and consumption isn't? Who knows.

Nothing like doing 10 laps/95 minutes of racing for zero rewards whatsoever :thumbsup:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Your car coughs in a very disconcerting manner for 1000 yards before you stumble, run out of gas, lose momentum, and come to rest 50 feet short of the pit lane.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The latter. Unless you're in free play, in which case the race never ends and you have to quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Too bad it's not like the FIFA games and the kinect would hear you screaming "blue flag" and give you a drive-through penalty for personally insulting Bernie Ecclestone

• Locked thread