Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dreylad posted:

Why are hellthread topics getting thrown into D&D where it'll run for 200 pages then get gassed?
The mere existence of the hellthread made some really retarded people so angry they were incapable of handling it. Also :rip: in advance to any or all of us in case this was some super clever honeypot or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I've followed your work on an off for a few years. Aggressive, brutal. I like it. But thats just, like, your opinion dude.

it was really boring in lf and its really boring here

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Helsing posted:

Well, after perusing this thread and googling a few of the names and terms used I've concluded that this is the stupidest thing ever. Jesus loving Christ twitter is terrible.

the mistake was going in assuming anything but that

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
please don't respond to d-list stymie #2

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this certainly has proven an effective honeypot for the worst dnd posters

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
don't kinkshame

well if its legal at least

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bedlamdan posted:

What is your guys' opinion on SedanChair, I only heard of him after the hand thing and then he did the ironic blackface thing so he seems pretty Tezzor-y?

Tell me of your strange culture here in these foreign lands.

I wanna know if bonv's post about tezzor being goatstein is true because I then demand the steampunk wedding pictures

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sinnlos posted:

I think C0DA is a fantastic piece of work

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:biotruths:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sinnlos posted:

Seriously Kirkbride is a storytelling genius and he adds a huge amount of depth into the TES world. I would go so far as to say that TES is the franchise with the strongest world building lore-wise.
he is also bugfuck insane which is probably one of the reasons why he owns so hard

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

icantfindaname posted:

Answer the question thanks
Wouldn't one constitute a state endorsement of an icon, and the other is uh a comic book??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

Um that's a Forbes article, not the study.
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/cyber.2014.0492

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Effectronica posted:

I'm fantasizing right now about loving your rear end with a machete until you die from massive internal bleeding and peritonitis. Nothib' wrong with that!

don't kinkshame

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

That's also a summary. Have you actually paid a dollar and read the study?
Actually I work in Academia and I just pulled it up.

mangled by formatting but w/e

quote:

With regard to the theories that explain the
relationship between violent video games and
aggression, our results fit best with the Cata-
lyst Model (Ferguson et al., 2008) that does
not predict a substantial influence of violent
media on real-life aggression. The idea of
violent media as a stylistic catalyst for indi-
viduals with a tendency for aggression is
compatible with the selection effect we found
for adolescents aged 14 to 17. The absence of
socialization effects in the present study con-
tradicts the assumptions of the GAM (Ander-
son & Bushman, 2002), according to which a
repeated use of violent media leads to an
increase in aggressive behavioral tendencies.
While von Salisch et al. (2011) speculated
that the selection effect they found for their
sample of third and fourth graders might be
the beginning of a downward spiral (Slater et
al., 2003), our study found no such relation-
ship for adolescents and young adults.

Generally, there's a bit of evidence of increase aggression for much younger kids but older kids and adults in general not so much.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

icantfindaname posted:

They succeeded through a sustained campaign of making bigotry socially unacceptable, yes? You've cracked the code, congrats

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
my 3rd world maoist posting in lf years ago hath finally bore fruit

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

icantfindaname posted:

Behold my latest masterpiece, The Failure of Identity Politics

Yes, those certainly are trend lines.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Control Volume posted:

I got halfway through writing a serious post about The Gamergate, realized with horror what I was doing, and quickly erased it to replace it with this text. This thread is dangerous, and should be destroyed.

finish the lp

like seriously i was watching it

havent looked at the thread in a bit tho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also trying to civilize the Internet is a task for Don Quixote

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

icantfindaname posted:

This country's never shown concern for the size of its prison populations before, I'm sure we can make room for the folks down at 8chan

I thought the dude that ran that place hosed off to belize or barbados or whatever the gently caress

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

achillesforever6 posted:

And some are mad about jokes that Tim Schafer makes at an award show. How could anyone hate Tim Schafer, he seems like such a cool dude :smith:
dude is way past his prime and kinda just shits out half completed games after setting record after record on kickstarter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KongMu posted:

I don't think that, unfortunately, but I do think that squelching out speech that is uncomfortable to hear is inherently a totalitarian ideal.

I think the idea is that if its an open contest whomever has the most "volume" (people, platform, both) ends up "winning" to the point they crush everyone else out of even being able to respond

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Popular Thug Drink posted:

violence isn't censorship. it's violence
I'd say it fits the definition of coercive authority/power if people stop speaking out of fear of said violence

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

Censorship by the state is bad. "Censorship" consisting of correct-thinking people getting together and deciding that certain messages are inappropriate and should be suppressed, on the other hand, is wonderful.

seriously this really bad gimmick account is allowed to post in the 'serious' debate and discussion forum when it wouldn't have passed muster in lf

also lol you're white

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
like two people actually posting at eachother, one implying that all ideas somehow need equal representation (not possible) and another insisting that "correct thinking" people should be picking and choosing what gets heard and it continues for more than like 2 posts without anyone saying how asinine and stupid both are

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Knight Boat posted:

Well then this problem is Obsidian's fault not Polygon's. A review is an opinion and it is a reviewer's prerogative to generate their score however they see fit. Obsidian is ridiculous if they feel that they should give money to their development staff based on something as fickle as a Metacritic score and not on profit.
It didn't quite work like that; the bonus was from Bethesda to Obsidian. This Metacritic agreement is actually pretty standard in the games industry and is one of the kinda hosed up things about it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Knight Boat posted:

Well, poo poo. Shouldn't that be changed instead of requiring reviewers to endorse a game they have problems with?
I wasn't commenting somuch on that vis a vis gamergate poo poo so much as just correcting what the deal actually was. It's just one of the dumb things about the games industry where bonuses are dependent on an internet review aggregator- when the standard industry practice is truncated production timetables and 80 hour per week crunchtime for months which makes cranking out a game that works (when a working game would score well enough for the bonus) a sisyphean task

as for gamergate and this; yeah the gamergate kids should be more mad about this than a bunch of complete nobodies who will never ever change the industry

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
at least you're keeping your incredibly bad posts concise now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was told the PC port was really bad

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

not adding rape threats to a game is not the same as pretending rape doesn't exist

i don't say the n-word. that does not mean i believe racism doesn't exist

your argument doesn't make any sense at all
yours doesn't either but people keep responding to your insanely bad posts

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

i think this is an unfair accusation spread by people who hate anita sarkeesian for being a woman who speaks her mind. it is very likely that all of the death threats she recieves are real, because some gamers really are mentally deranged about women criticizing games
So how does anyone know if they're real or not real or credible or not credible

this goes for both sides

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Totalizator posted:

Not all but some of them. They're rude, preachy and dismissive based on little to no fact checking whatsoever and a clear bias against gamers. I actually encountered the original batch before I knew of gamergate and even then thought it's smug bullshit.
i didn't read all of them myself but the general idea was something to the effect of saying that since a significant amount of the population that happens to have access to smartphones/PCs in general play some sort of game that effectively 'everyone' is or can be a gamer and thus the traditional "Gamer" demo may not be the only thing worth targeting anymore for marketing or game design in general

like some of it was veneered in a sneering "lol fat dudebro neckbeard fedora nerd blawfhwagfgf" kind of language but the general idea isn't totally incorrect

Like it wasn't literally declaring the gamer subculture dead or w/e

Totalizator posted:

Every argument you have made in this thread is based on the premise people who disagree with you are idiots acting upon their biases while you're clearly the only unbiased and smartest person in the room. None of your claims are ever backed up and you always skim through links other people post just enough to make some half-assed generalistic attempt to make them look retarded You have twice as many posts in this thread as the next guy but claim to not care about the topic. Basically what I'm trying to say here is that everyone who wants to have a honest discussion about this topic in this thread should put you on ignore which I am doing right now.
Hey wow someone finally realized that Thug Drunk is a really lovely and bad poster, almost a zillion posts later after i had him pegged as a retard after looking at a single lovely post from him gj

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I miss Tezzor and wrestlingchat.
Tezzor was positively endearing compared to the bottom of the barrel D&D people we're getting here but given this is the most retarded "controversy" in internet history and the thread is now in D&D it is only getting the posting effort it deserves compared to everything else being discussed in the forum

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
but seriously stop responding to popular thug drink

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dapper Dan posted:

Get review sites to abandon scores, stars and any rating altogether which makes it that much more of a pain in the rear end to aggregate a number.

EDIT:
And beaten!
This has actually been happening with a lot of major game blogs; many are generally switching to a "What I like, what I don't like, is it worth buying" summary right at the end of reviews.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That was world war 1, with the archduke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Steven Crowder's list of accomplishments include getting punched in the face by a union supporter at a rally and uh...um...

• Locked thread