Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I feel like someone should create a thread about the problems of modern/online social justice activism in general, of which gamergate is a microcosm.

Someone other than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Thunder Moose posted:

Serious post: I thought it all began with Rome 2 when the game was realized in a really poor form (unplayable) despite a lot of review companies giving it like 9/10s and 10/10s.

Then I found out it was actually about feminism and the video game industry. I still am super lost and would appreciate a decent summary on the issue so I can appreciate it.

Basically "gaming journalism" was a farce since Day 1 but "gamers" didn't care until some indie dev was accused of sleeping with someone for a favorable review. gamergate then became about sexism in gaming culture instead of "ethics in gaming journalism" or whatever the pro-GG side claimed, and has since blossomed into a particularly shrill and vapid microcosm of anti-oppression activism.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

[chugging boyd rice beat] DO YOU WANT TWITTER WAR?

#throwoutchristandbringbackthor

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Not really. Even if someone rejects the hourglass figure that's the current ideal in the US, most of Europe, and Japan, they still understand that to be sexy. And that's what virtually every female character in fighting games, barring literal children, has, along with a revealing costume that highlights sexuality. Even a character like Sakura that's on the low end of this scale still gets bigger boobs and a wider midriff when translated to merchandise.
Not disagreeing with you, but what would a non-problematic female character look like in a genre as highly stylized as fighting games?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I started following it later, but Hellthread never seemed especially pro- or anti-GG. It seemed more like everyone was just enjoying watching the slow motion train wreck.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Since SJW is a dirty word now, can we come up with another term for online outrage addicts / call-out culturists.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

natetimm posted:

I don't believe actual "feminists" hate anything, but I do believe the folks participating in outrage culture, identity politics, and whatever else you want to call the lunatic fringe have created a situation where they have bluffed certain industries into believing they are a bigger market force than they actually are. You can see this by the current whining and temper tantrums thrown by the indie crowd in gaming over steam refunds and not enough people buying their "artistic" games.
I doubt very much the triple-A studios give a drat about the Feminist Frequency's of the world.

There was an article a little while ago where someone made the observation that the big name studios are probably pro-GG by default, but by refusing to participate they get to keep their hands clean of the mess, let their gamer nerd proxies do the dirty work, and deny the anti-GG people the confrontation they want.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

there are many important scholars shaping cutting edge discussion via tweets, i'll have you know
To paraphrase a Social Justice lecturer & teacher who led SJ workshops at a top flight Canadian university, "Some of the most important activism today is taking place on twitter."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dreylad posted:

which unviersity
I'm not going into detail because unfortunately outrage / call-out culture is real, sry.

e.
And so are weird internet trolls and I don't want to be party to her catching grief for her righteous & strange opinions.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

So you got that from a meme but don't actually know. K.
Unfortunately no. Then the Planned Parenthood guest speaker chimed in that tumblr is also great for organizing / activism.

Life is strange.

e.
Maybe I was being un-generous in my paraphrasing. I believe the word she actually used was "discourse", not "activism".

'Some of the most important Social Justice discourse is happening on Twitter'

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that anti-oppression work's best hope is the expansion of police discretionary power.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I said come in! posted:

This one time Brianna Wu posted a picture she took of a guy at an airport. He was laying down on the floor, up against a wall, so he was blocking nothing, and she posted this picture of him without his consent, and called him a manspreader. Every single person that responded, told her she was wrong and kind of an rear end in a top hat for posting a pic of a stranger.

The manspreading thing isn't quite the dumbest thing to come out internet feminism, but it's up there.
Actually, "outrage culture" is just a strawtonepoliceman.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
From my point of view, Feminism is evil!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

This is a proportional response. Also nobody cares about Twitter and outrage culture isn't real.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

"3 Ways You're Being Lied To
Sign up to our weekly newsletter and find out how you're being deceived by the big gaming sites"

Sounds like these people are truly the rational ones here.
No, they suck too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Effectronica seriouspost why are you so intent on dismissing accusations of a callout/outrage culture in certain Leftist circles and particularly in regards to how they conduct themselves on social media?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Because it isn't a real problem
That's largely true, yes. That doesn't mean it isn't a thing.

I would say it's potentially a problem if people associate it with Leftist activism as a whole.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Because it's not real. It's something that people are making up in order to engage in leftist infighting, which is something that is probably thousands of years old. When people call something "callout culture" or "outrage culture", ultimately their statement comes down to a belief that technocratic soullessness is the only way to get things done, even if all they wanted to do was push back over doctrinal matters.
Social Justice/anti-oppression activism are totally unable to effectively reconcile the individual with the systemic. Outrage culture is symptomatic of a belief that through individual acts of contrition or shaming, systemic change can be brought about.

I don't think you can have it both ways -- you can't effect change through naming and shaming the Social (Media) Justice Left wants to, though. It wants to say oppression is systemic but then it wants to get its pound of flesh through individual acts of contrition.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Isn't saying "the concern with 'ethics in gaming journalism' is valid but talking about it under the GG brand invalidates the argument' just tone policing?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The trouble with leaderless groups is that the only qualifier for entry is saying "I support #X" and suddenly you're as much an authority as anyone else. The people who actually care about gaming journalism could create a new group tomorrow and it would be co-opted by misogynist assholes with hashtags, whose acerbic bullshit would come to define the movement by default regardless of how valid the claims of the originators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ddraig posted:

No.

Telling a person they have no right to be angry at a person (or institution) who has done them legitimate harm is "tone policing"

When a person is angry, but decides to take that anger out on someone who isn't the person (or institution) who harmed them there is no "tone" to be policed: it's flat out wrong. There's no legitimate harm.
That's not tone policing. Tone policing is saying "I'm not going to address your claims because the way you've delivered them makes me uncomfortable." It's an attempt to derail an argument by changing the focus.

If the only difference between a valid and invalid argument is the hashtag used, then that's tone policing.

• Locked thread