Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

rip hellthread where will noyami k whore for attention now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

im a little surprised people go to berkley and don't care about participating in impotent campus protests

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Honestly this would have died out if not for the fact that it has a huge number of living trainwrecks involved, and every couple days they double down on their insanity. Thats got to be GGs biggest strength from anonymity. We only ASSUME proGG people are insane, we KNOW aGG are because they are only too happy to treat the internet like a therapist.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how did they gas it i thought only lowtax could

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

Apparently you were misinformed. WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

the inmates run THIS asylum :sherman::shillary::skeltal::smallbarf:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

From now on you must post about how care about games even though they are just games and somehow are important even though they are just games.

GAMES.

GAMES.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rest of my life is too horrible to post about and im even more powerless to stop the problems there than i am with my distraction

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

sjw=jews is kinda stupid because israel should be criticised.

death to israel, m i rite exclamation marx? those were good times. hey how about a bland political comic?

good times man.... gooooood times

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

but, it's just a video game?

playing as the confederacy is more interesting, as you are the aggressor. the union is easy, all you have to do is play defensive and not make bad decisions

honestly id love more games to let you play as the non-american side of wars. Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cubans etc

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

afeelgoodpoop posted:

his "girlfriend" worked for gawker, and was believed to be part of pushing censorship on 4chan

im the picture of lincoln on the wall

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

But wouldn't "just adding a few black people" to the game be bad because then they would just be background decorations?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Slightly unrelated question

So the big takeaway from GG is that there is a fairly large (several thousand or so going by the registered people on KiA and 8chan) group of people who are extremely upset and feel they are hated. In a way they are right. They are the socially inept and socially rejected losers of society who have been swept into one of the darker corners of the internet. They aren't a racial or ethnic minority so they didn't have it the worst, but they are undesirables nonetheless. Undesirables who are told that they have it far better than they think they do. Now whether or not they do have it better than others or whatever personal problem they have doesn't matter because at the end of the day they are still unwanted. What is there to do about these people? Capitalism means there will always be people like them who fall through the cracks, natural selection and all that. But what nobody in all this seems interested in, except maybe the SPJ people, is reach out to these people so they don't just hide in the dark corners of the internet until they go crazy and shoot up a sorority in California. I don't believe that people are beyond changing after a certain age and even SMG says that people aren't beyond redemption. Everyone outside of them seems content to call them fat virgin neckbeard pissbabies and be done with it. But while we are making steps to reach out to more marginalized people I don't see much done to help the marginalized "middle-class". People like gg, or MRA's or even outside of the internet, rednecks. I'm guessing its because they are people who don't actively go out and march for acceptance like gays, and when people have reached out to them they slap the hand away.

I like to think that the video game nerd community is much more capable than people think. They do accept female characters and trans characters and racial minority characters, like Samus or Poison from Street Fighter or Carl from GTA:San Andreas (which admittedly had backlash because it starred a black guy but later became more accepted after people played it). Or if you don't like Poison because shes sexualized then theres that Trans ghost girl in Paper Mario. Point is gamers CAN change and accept diversity, it just has to be closer to their comfort zone first. I think one of the problems with FemFreq is they no longer try to reach the people who hate them, choosing instead to just preach to the choir. GG people can understand treating female characters like poo poo, just look at the complaints about Metroid: Other M. So I guess my question is how can we end the whole thing, or at least work towards something better, without just chasing out the undesirables but rather bringing them in?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anita needs to become really good at Street Fighter 5 and start attending tournaments.

edit: Even though its a god-awful game. Unearthed is an amazingly interesting game from Saudi Arabia. But not for the reasons they intended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dOhmPe_3U

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 1, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think that gamergaters are irredeemable, but I think at some point much of the vitriol has to stop and I think that one has to step away from the internet for that. Because as it stands, both sides are yelling while sticking their fingers in their ears. That being said, I disagree that FemFreq is preaching to the choir, I think they are doing exactly the thing that they should be doing, and that is reaching out to people who aren't openly hostile to their viewpoints but may just be uninformed about much of the stuff in gaming.

I guess I can't be sure but it sometimes seems like her fans are people who were already well versed in feminism. Her speaking events come off as people just cheering no matter what she says. It's like the Colbert Report

Let us English posted:

What games do people here think have good writing?

For me I think The Last of Us was great, while not deep the performance capture really allows the actors to sell the story. The Witcher 3 was also a really cool take on parenthood. I also think anything the Houser's at Rockstar touch is gold. LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA IV & V, and Red Dead all provide very good commentary on the role of masculinity in American culture. Those five games, when taken together, constitute a strong attack against and show of the failures of 'toxic masculinity' as it's been called in this thread.

Part of the problem with games criticism is that people aren't trained to observe themes and subtext in games. And even when the games make their meanings explicit, like Trevor's monologue after the torture scene in GTAV, if often goes over the head of critics as well as, I assume, over the players at large.

I really loved Red Dead. It's interesting how the game ends with Jack tracking down the government guy and killing him which really feels like a hollow victory.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

It was insanely coherent and intelligent with an massive level of love in it's message too, to a point where it's almost weird as gently caress that they somehow flew over their heads twice. I mean maybe it's because Travis didn't go on a monologue when turning sex with a 19 year old girl stating the he grew up beyond that poo poo finally and he would be just hurting her in that type of relationship.

You can never dumb things down enough sometimes

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Motto posted:

Speaking of which, femfreq had a similar set of stats, but one of the comments attached to it confused me a bit.

I'm not exactly sure what "a wider spectrum of gender identities" would mean with regards to character creation.

Going by the tumblr thread I don't think games are big enough to include the full spectrum of genders.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Obdicut posted:

Okay, and if GGers stopped their bullshit and went away, the anti-GGers wouldn't have anyone to fight with, right?

Whereas if the anti-GGers vanished, there'd still be these journalists out there like that woman that guy smeared in here, and Anita, and other people, and GGers would still be attacking them, right?

AntiGG would go back to fighting tumblr targets like the patriarchy and people who need to check their privilege.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man DnD looks like Andrew WK compared to her fans.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Gaming journalists are underpaid and rewarded for clicks. If a major gaming company makes a game with a black protagonist, I think there's a pretty good chance it'll be picked over with a fine tooth comb for anything that could be interpreted as racism. This could be stuff that gets deliberately misinterpreted, innocent mistakes, or just adding a racial bent to the fact most game protagonists tend to be violent assholes to begin with. While the gaming industry seems to be pretty used to accusations of sexism, it wouldn't surprise me if even a major developer or publisher would shy away from the chance of being accused of racism. I imagine individual developers would be even more concerned. No one wants to risk their job, even if they support diversity. The media needs to be willing to assume goodwill, or at least investigate an issue thoroughly before making claims, and I don't see that happening in the current climate.

Just look at how well "Mechanical Apartheid" went over.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

At least it's not "Angry Birds: Mechanical Apartheid"

Besides, games are art and art can talk about serious issues. Didn't people want serious and mature things in video games?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gum posted:

do you have an actual response for him or just feigned offence?

Telling people they shouldn't be offended is pretty lame, dude.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

thefncrow posted:

Unfortunately, it's really not that simple.

The thing to understand is that, while Gamergate has been around since last August, that wasn't so much the inception of something new so much as it was putting a name and a slight bit of organization around a thing that had been ongoing for years.

Because at its core, Gamergate is just Video Game Conservatives, fighting to maintain the status quo from charges of bigotry. When Anita's kickstarter happened in 2013, the people who started spewing rape and death threats and producing poo poo like "Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian" weren't Gamergate, but they were elements stemming from the same core motivation. Zoe Quinn was already on their radar before the whole Zoe Post thing from when she tried to get Depression Quest added to Steam via Greenlight.

To go a little into recent history, Tauriq Moussa, the author of that Polygon piece about The Witcher 3 and its lack of diversity, quit Twitter recently because of the harassment he was getting. The common attribution was that, basically, he'd been run off the service by Gamergaters. Leigh Alexander wrote a little about this (this is a string of tweets put together):

So, basically, even if Gamergate were to somehow vanish and go away, that doesn't mean that suddenly we'd have this absence of conservatism in the video game space, they'd just move on to a new name, or going back to being spread apart. The intensity of the harassment might decrease as you don't have these boards with a critical mass mob mobilizing, but it's not like this would just go away.

It's not a problem of "Gamergate", it's a problem of bigotry, and it just so happens that "Gamergate" is a name attached to a concentrated hive of it.

In a way, the best comparison you can really make to Gamergate is the Tea Party. The "formation" of the Tea Party didn't create a new group of people with lovely regressive attitudes, it just served as a point of congregation for people who already had lovely regressive attitudes. And if something happened tomorrow to ensure that no one claimed membership in the Tea Party ever again, it doesn't mean those people who subscribed to that label are going to suddenly stop having lovely regressive attitudes.

The tea party comparision isn't quite fitting since I don't think gg has the financial support of the obscenely wealthy, unless you count what Obdicut said about AAA loving gg because they attack critics. GG claims its biggest strength is that it has no formal leader, which does grant them some power but its also their biggest liability since anybody can claim to be them and do whatever. Like I said earlier, you have a large group of angry people who feel ignored. You are going to need a better approach than "gently caress them they are just pissbaby loser virgins."

And I will choose to disrespect Leigh by forgetting that. She keeps wrestling that pig.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Effectronica posted:

There are multiple small/indie devs who posted in this thread and its ancestors who explicitly liked GG because of its potential to terrorize reviewers.

Well if the little guy is doing it then it can't be ALL bad. :v:

Talmonis posted:

Now, what I think is a major disconnect between game nerds and social activists seems to be that the game nerds don't agree on what should be considered sexism. Take the final fantasy Cid example earlier, a woman in a low cut top and rediuculous half coat. To the game nerd, it's just a lovely outfit, instead of some harmful example of a supposed "need" for sexualized female characters. They then look at an academic analysis of sexism, valid though it may be in the macro sense, as a silly intrusion into a game they like. Possibly even a character they like.

thefncrow posted:

I agree, you definitely need something better than "gently caress them, they're just loser virgins". It's the same thing as "gently caress them, they're just angry 14 year olds". Or, drawing parallels to bigotry in other arenas, that opposition to gay marriage was just "they're just old people who will die off".

The commonality of all those sentiments is that this is some problem caused by dead-enders that will rectify itself over time. That's simply not true.

This is true and why I think there needs to be an outreach or something. GG and people like them have such a hard time with femfreq partly because they don't even accept feminism 101 so what hope do they have? As I said before people can already sort of understand what shes talking about judging by the lingering hatred of Metroid: Other M.

There will always be some trolls and chances are you'll never be able to express a "progressive" opinion online without someone calling you a human being, but that doesn't mean just ignoring people hoping that they die off.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

There's also a third case - that the game nerds likes the cleavage and don't want it to go away. This falls in line with the same sort of person as the "I play as women in third person games because I don't want to see guy's butts for 40 hours" mentality.

I can understand that people don't want it in every game and if a game is trying to be serious and mature it probably shouldn't break out the f-cups.

I'm not sure Dragon Age or Mass Effect games really qualify as serious or mature. Button=awesome fantasy with nerd jokes and space opera with nerd jokes is the natural habitat for gratuity.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

The problem with that logic is that "serious" games tend to be ones where women just don't show up at all, like Generic Military Shooter #50.

Also, why should "non-serious" games necessarily have to cater to those male fantasies? We remember stuff like Bulletstorm for humorous dialog, not a scantily clad woman (who incidentally almost had larger breasts).

Why shouldn't they?

Also wasn't there only 1 woman in Bulletstorm? Not asking that to make some point I just can't remember.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Pretty sure it wasn't actually the same dude, just another game journo defending his piece by saying all white people are the same and have the same privilege, which I'm sure is news to the polish people!

Wasn't it Zoe's boyfriend? I know he at least said that the slavs were "anglo"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There's something magical about a bunch of people getting upset about nepotism in hobbyist journalism and describing a private mailing list as "cronyist groupthink". It's almost like they are extremely unfamiliar with how humans interact in society or something. Why, it's even as if advancement in some insular industries rely on recommendations and personal relationships instead of ability to score on a standardized test!

People not allowed in the country club want to join them.

punakone posted:

Taking a step sideways, Im interested in the demographics of this, what proportion of people on both side are American?

Some justification to this query: I feel that majority of identity politics debate Ive seen here and on Twitter seems to be mainly Americans. Are Americans the majority on social media? At least here on SA I think they are.

Everyone except Milo and Total Biscuit

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

punakone posted:

Really? Feels weird, though I guess general internet user demographics might have more to do with it at the root.

To be fair I don't actually know that for sure I just can't really think of anybody on either side other than those two who aren't American. I have seen feminist articles about nerd poo poo during GG but they weren't about GG, like the one where the Swedish artist was "cleaning up" sexualized characters to be more modest which elicited a grumbling thread on 8chan but no action as far as I noticed.

Japan doesn't give a poo poo and Scandinavia is already on board with anything GG would call SJW.

Edit: oh wait theres that Varva guy whos making that game about Poland who lives in Poland

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 2, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The Droid posted:

I think this video sums up the entire situation pretty well, regardless of perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgW2z61_9k

For the love of God, Montresor!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, Kamiya doesn't have the best track record of respectful female characters so I find myself hard pressed to give him the benefit of the doubt

Your proof of them not having questionable journalistic ethics is an example of them artificially inflating scores to make hardcore fans happy?

Kamiyas no Gloria Steinem but he's made a considerable amount of likable characters that have sizable female fanbases, like Bayonetta.

She-hulk also has a sizable female fanbase despite sexualization.

Do you think men aren't capable of creating good female characters?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I find the idea of a man creating a sexualized female character and defending it as empowering to be specious

I don't think Kamiya ever said she was empowering. But that maybe isn't what you are trying to say here.

Obdicut posted:

I think you think you're making a point, but I don't get what it is. Do you think that someone has claimed women will reject sexualized female characters or something?

I guess I feel there is implication in this thread that showing boobs and butts is bad and it should be discouraged because it bothers people. I believe boobs and butts are good. I believe SMG says as much too for different reasons and he was quoted positively here, but I can't find the quote of his.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember reading the original thread a few times and wondering how well their isolated circle of constant reinforcement would hold up against any kind of sustained critical response and I am glad to see the answer is "not very well at all really"

I've often looked at GG and said "these are the people who will listen to Fox News in twenty years"

I miss the twitter posts

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to prevent them from being future fox viewers

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 3, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

All these people demanding representation are just wasting their time, they should pick up the tools and make a game representing whatever they like, because if done by outsiders it'll end up some dumb stereotype. Russians did it, Polish did it, Turks did it, Czechs plan to do it, entry barriers have never been lower really.
Also I realized a very important thing on last few pages of the thread: the old probation avatar was way better than the new one.

I'd love for femfreq to make a game.

it will be nitpicked asunder by the internet though

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i was thinking more like the Batman Arkham games except instead of violence you just swoop in and try and talk people out of fighting through de-escalation

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Of course you buy the game and start it up only to get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pa0GO7bnE
Oh, and every zombie takes 500 hits to kill, and each weapon has about 5 hits of durability on it. Thank god they cemented in the preorders with the fee fee trailer before everyone could start talkin about how bad the game was.

you are wrong the actual game looked like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Broniki posted:

I like how all of her problems with the game are coming from her imagination and what she thinks and fears the developers are trying to do instead of what's there or asking the devs for clarification. This is the kind of brain damage that buying into the concept of "lived experience" does to you.

It would be pretty nutso of somebody to actually make a blackface game. Makes me think of how the Animaniacs were based off blackface

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So I skipped the last 60 pages what happened over the weekend?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It's so nice of those guys to support their wives' racing careers by offering to hold their trophies while they celebrate.

Is that the Texas flag?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

There is that soundcloud of him being chewed out by David Jaffe.

https://soundcloud.com/ben-kuchera/jaffe-confrontation

Man when was this?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The Penny Arcade guys defended Ben Kuchera which is more than enough damning evidence against him

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

More recent hypocrisy from him was when he tried to get Erik Kain for "advocating piracy" and then a few months later wrote an article on how to pirate star wars or something

• Locked thread