Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^Re: Alien Resurrection, it's a movie where you can tell most everyone making it is pretty good/talented but none of the elements mesh well together and overall it's kind of dumb.

As for Alien 3 it's a movie I always want to like and I appreciate that there are people who dig it since I'm a positive guy like that, but the whole thing is just too drat dull for me, and adding 30 minutes onto it did it no favors. I will say, though, that the moment where the mental guy frees the imprisoned alien added in the assembly cut means the movie finally has at least one truly suspenseful scene for me.

Also, while I think any real film buff should take every movie on its own merits, in real-world "don't be a dick" terms, when people are paying their hard-earned money for a movie, I do think you have some obligation to serve your audience. When you're the follow up to two scary thrillrides (and you know drat well the marketing is going to promise that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiAGHUTlk8) and you offer a gothic drama for subversion's sake, it's just kind of a dick move; not to mention being unfair to your own work, setting it up to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

They had the alien queen puppet on display at our science centre and I cried because I was so scared of it. Until my early teens I had a super strong fear of the "xenomorph" and couldn't even imagine watching the whole movie ever. I'd even have to overt my eyes from the Aliens arcade machines.

I now love the movies but can't imagine ever playing Isolation, I'd probably cry again.

I wonder how many of us 80s/90s kids that were deathly afraid of the Alien are out there. I discovered this thing called "Alien" around 1991 or so because of that arcade game, the cabinet had a print of the creature on its side and watching the gameplay and knowing there was a goddamn MOVIE or two of this poo poo and imagining what it must have been like fueled my nightmares.

Some key memories of the year or two of my peak Alien freaked-outness:

- My parents had me switch bedrooms in the house because one night the heater (or something) was maknig weird noises and I couldn't stop imagining an Alien (or worse... AlienS!) was somehow involved.

- I had a dream where I was nonchalantly opening my closet to get to my toybox, and a motherfucking Alien was waiting for me inside and instantly lunged at me. To date that's the only time I've had the "jolting awake from a nightmare" reaction you see in movies all the time.

- We went out to see Star Trek VI and I'm just sitting there like a happy camper as the previews go by and, whadya know, they're debuting the trailer for ALIEN 3 and the drat creature is poking its head at Sigourney Weaver on the massive screen before me, and her expression in that famous shot was pretty representative of what I was feeling while watching it. The crowd loved it, there were audible woops and "yeah!"s at the end of the trailer.

- One morning I'm just flipping channels and OMG WTF there is a goddamned ALIEN on the set of Regis and Kathy Lee! They were just showing off a life-size non-animated replica and being all like "ooh how intricate". Not only was the alien design its usual scary self, but the suddenness and randomness of it shocked me and it was surreal in an unsettling way to see the horrifying creature in such a modern, friendly setting.

That HR Giger really hit some kind of psychological nerve with his design. While obviously I was just a kid and kids are afraid of monsters, I've never in my life had such instant feelings of terror from just looking at something before. I was terrified of the xenomorph creature on an almost phobic level.

As you probably figured, I got over it eventually, and in my teen years actually sought out the movies in a "OK, I'm ready, I want to be terrified!' way and now they're some of my favorite movies. But I recently encountered this poster online (it's a gag poster, you place it on your door and it looks like a xenomorph is busting through it) and for just a moment it took me back to when I was little, and the awe I'd feel at the scariest-looking monster ever made.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Alien is definitely a more-than-the-sum-of-is-parts thing, but I don't think you can overstate the effect of the absence of eyes. They're the window to the soul and all, and with no eyes it seems like a being incapable of any kind of empathy. You know right off the bat you cannot reason with it. It has no soul or mind as we think of them. Even without going the philosophical route, without eyes it's tough to convey emotional expressions: while a few artists have managed it, it's very, very difficult to make a "cute" or friendly-looking xenomorph. Even having the creature smile would take some work not to look creepy.

I'm mildly arachnophobic, and the worst spiders for me are the ones that are black and shiny, with the legs connecting to the abdomen in a way that looks like some mockery of a rib cage. Wouldn't surprise me if spiders and the Alien design hit on some of the same primordial instincts.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

But I think what Cameron means has to do more with how a lot of horror movies tend to be gratuitous with the violence and gore (funnily enough, much like Aliens is).

You really think Aliens is gratuitously violent? I'm not even sure if it's as gory as the first is.

(I'll acknowledge that if you just re-color Bishop's 'blood' to be red, his surprise maiming by the queen alien would be a top-contender for the most gruesome moment in the whole series, but hey)

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of real world analogues, I'm sure I missed someone already mentioning the dragonfish.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

On a related note: once I found the fish's eyes I found it ever-so-slightly less unnerving. I mean, don't get me wrong, those are some terrifying, soulless predator eyes if I've ever seen them, but it's definitely a different effect.

Edit: Good God even that translucent one looks like a chestburster!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ Ah, including the robots, aliens themselves and general destruction makes sense. I was thinking more exclusively in graphic violence/ gore concerning people. Robot and alien guts look different enough that it doesn't effect me so much (also neither of them show much in terms of pain or suffering, which makes it less disturbing).

Also, did some googling of that black dragonfish and just had to share:

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really wish they just went ahead and used the OG Giger-designed alien for that shot in Prometheus, even if it wouldn't really make sense. I always felt with that movie you either did have a xenomorph cameo or you didn't but they went with "kind of" so the result is what should have been a crowd-pleasing moment turned into a big ol' "meh".

Also with the original design it's more likely they would have used a proper suit and not CG'ed it, and the design of the creature we see in Prometheus is nowhere near as scary or compelling anyway - it looks like some kind of eye-less dinosaur.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Immortan posted:

In the unrated cut it shows the little kid in the beginning graphically die from a chestburster. :lol:

Yikes, is it really that much worse than theatrical? I remember going in having heard about the "hosed up" kid and pregnant woman deaths and being a little concerned I'd find it too disturbing, but turned out both scenes seemed to be shot and edited to be as innocuous as possible*, which simultaneously relieved me and perturbed me (the latter in a "well what was even the point of that" way).

*(if I recall, for instance, the kid's scene has him reacting with all the discomfort of a mild stomach-ache before an incredibly fake-looking CGI chestburster pops out in a close-up shot)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is Blomkamp's retconning away Alien3 a confirmed thing or just handwringing over ~*possibilities*~?

poo poo, has thus project even been greenlit yet in the first place? It seems like Blomkamp's pushing this concept art stuff out there like 'hey! Somebody hire me to make an Alien movie! Yoo hoo! Come on'

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You guys are WAY overexplaining to Xenomrph.

Dude: people are giving you poo poo not because "I didn't like the movie because its characters were so dumb " is an invalid opinion, you can like or dislike the movie for whatever reason you like, but because it's a superficial and dull one and it only gets more annoying the more you get defensive about it.

I didn't care for The Matrix because its yellow/green color timing during the inner-Matrix scenes was really ugly to me. It's a valid opinion! I might even mention it from time to time.

I would never dream, however, to try to submit it seriously in a discussion like this one, and I'd expect people to get snippy and impatient with me if I continued to talk about it like, "they still could have represented the same themes with a less obnoxious color filter, other movies such as _____ and ____ have done so" and tried to act as if I were contributing anything of substance to the conversation.

You thought the characters in Prometheus were dumb and because of that you couldn't enjoy the movie. OK. That's nice. If you have nothing deeper to add, could you pipe down? Because grown folks are talking.

EDIT: If you're complaining about something "taking you right out of the movie" it's probably not something you can seriously discuss at length about

lizardman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 30, 2015

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

I don't know if you noticed in your need to write an essay about things everyone already knew, but I haven't posted about my opinions re Prometheus in a good while now, and had even steered the thread to a completely different movie until someone brought it back.

Also I did enjoy the movie, the characters was just a criticism of it.

So if you want to drop the issue, can we please drop it?

Didn't mean to dogpile, my apologies. I was just motivated to make sure it got through to you because I can just see this kind of thing happening all over again in some other thread about another movie. I'll drop it.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

I generally like Blomkamp's stuff but the whole thing reeks of him just wanting to play with his toys.

I admit there's this small part of me that's kind of rooting for the project just because I get this impression as if this Alien movie is Blomkamp's dream project that his career so far has basically been an audition for.

But I don't like what I'm seeing in the storyboards. Looks like the company (or the military, or both) have captured/bred xenomorphs and are putting them to use in what looks like some silly ways? Not only does it remind me too much of Resurrection, it doesn't look scary or thrilling at all and I'm not even sure it's trying to be. I want a scary Alien movie again, dammit!

I'll confess that the rumored "interquel between Aliens and Alien 3" concept is rather brilliant in its gamesmanship, but I can't fathom how they'd make that work with Weaver and Bien's ages unless it was going to be an animated movie or something.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alien Isolation does look pretty rad and spooky. I don't even need the Alien movies to be as overtly horror as that, either, I'm perfectly willing to have an Aliens-style "relentlessly intense action" type of scary.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

AVP was remade as Prometheus. The two films have the exact same plot.

Regardless, there are plenty of "formula sequels" (for instance) that do exactly that but certainly don't override the movie they're remaking. If Prometheus writes AVP out of continuity, I would suspect it'd be in discrepancies. I'm not sure if what we learn of the Weyland company/family is fully reconcilable with what's depicted in AVP (or maybe it is, I don't know, just a hypothetical).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

I really like the Aliens design a lot. I won't say it's better than Alien, or that I even have a favorite. They're just different, and good in their own ways.

I liked it, too. I wouldn't want the dome-less Alien design to become the definitive take, but it gave the aliens a warrior-like character that worked for that movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

The aliens aren't scary because their some japanese horror movie style unstoppable supernatural force, they're scary for other reasons.

This is just one of those caveats of the series (and I'm talking just the movies here, I have no exposure to other Alien-related media) starting with at least Aliens - that the xenomorph species represents an almost apocalyptic threat to the human race, and your only hope is to nuke all of them before they can spread further.

I've never quite been able to buy this, but it's a notion you just kind of have to roll with since it's pretty much just assumed throughout the series.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I absolutely would and I'd totally not have seen it coming. I'd be some never-seen-combat CO that's read all the reports on the aliens and determined the problem was all human error and lax safety standards. With a properly equipped team knowing what they are up against alien samples, live specimens, and eggs could be brought back for study. And it's important to study these creatures, they're actual aliens, think of what we could learn! All the research would be done in the most secure of locations on space stations with auto-destructs and no unethical use of human hosts or experimentation. If the aliens are a threat we need to study them for weaknesses, and learn from their strengths. I mean these are just dumb bugs, the aliens got lucky but we will quickly learn and adapt to their tricks after sufficient study.

Precisely! It's such a magnificent creature, think of all the things we could learn about it.

Now won't you please step away from that ledge, Ripley?

Just come with us, the procedure will be painless and will only take a moment. You can still have a life, Ripley.

What are you doing?

I'm not a droid!

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If he likes the scene where Hudson telegraphs the existence of the queen you need to have a long talk with him.

"So who's laying these eggs?" is such a good way to foreshadow the queen without being too on-the-nose about it.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The kid seems way too willing to let other people decide his opinions for him and skip things because he heard they were "horrible". He wound up liking Alien Resurrection, after all, he oughtta give more things a chance.

I mean, I know he's just a kid, but it sounds like he's already well on his way to Snotsville.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
While we shouldn't discount all the negative chatter you see on the web, we also shouldn't forget that Prometheus pulled in some positively astounding numbers for R-rated sci-fi horror and got mostly good reviews (even if most of them read like they were just happy a movie like it existed in the first place, but still).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

The creature is utterly over-exposed. It's too ubiquitous to do unironically.

You say this but that looks loving terrifying to me.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

What is the theme of prometheus?

Worship of our creators is mostly fueled by innocence, and simply because our creators told us to.

The movie represents the horror of the moment we discover that our parents, which we'd previously regarded almost as gods, are actually fallible. They make mistakes. Hell, YOU might have been a mistake. They might not even love you... they might even hate and resent you.

If you like, there's room here to stretch that into a broader question of, if a god who created all of humanity exists, is he truly worthy of worship simply because he created us? And because he says so?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BexGu posted:

Speaking of chest busters has any comic/novel tried to explain how it goes from snake like creature to full on alien? Like is molting, grow little nub legs, or just "time passes, it happened, don't worry about it"?

Have we ever gotten a look at the alien between its chestbuster phase and its adult form?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

This is the point where I stopped reading because I knew you were trolling. You tipped your hand too early, you should have saved that for the end of your post.

4/10

SMG would be like the greatest poster ever if he didn't try so hard to troll people. I'm a bit partial to the theatrical cut myself (mostly just because it makes a dull movie shorter) but there was no reason to stick that in there other than to annoy folks.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hbomberguy posted:

I sorta disagree - I think there's a way of redeeming Aliens' themes by reading Burke as part of the system....

Aliens doesn't need to be 'redeemed'... you realize you can judge movies based on criteria other than how communist they are, right?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Body Snatchers, by a country mile.

It's a remake/adaptation rather than a sequel, but I suppose this is where you tell us how it's actually a spiritual sequel to Enemy Mine or something.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just for fact-checking's sake, the arcade game was made by Capcom, not Konami. I know turning Alien Vs Predator into a multiplayer beat-em-up is more of a Konami thing to do, so I understand the confusion. It would have been more like Capcom to turn it into a one-on-one fighting game and then a year later introduce Alien Vs Predator Vs Street Fighter.

You get the feeling Capcom could have picked up the Seinfeld license and turn it into a fighting game because what the hell else are they going to make. Likewise Konami had The Simpsons and made a multiplayer beat-em-up out of it because, well, what the hell else are they going to make?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ You can still find random little arcade corners at multiplexes at least.

ImpAtom posted:

Capcom actually did a lot of beat 'em ups. They're responsible for FInal Fight, the really excellent Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em ups, Captain Commando, Knight of the Round, X-Men for the SNES, crazy stuff like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs... for a good chunk of time beat 'em ups were their thing.

Haha yep, you're right. I just have this stereotype in my head of Capcom turning any random license into a fighting game (at the time their X-men game seemed a little odd to me, like why are Cyclops and Storm fighting each other?) and Konami doing the same with beat-em-ups (again, The Simpsons?!). Also Capcom's arcade X-Men game being a fighting game and Konami's arcade X-men game being a beat-em-up help reinforce the notion.

Anyways, more back on topic, I forgot all about the Shane Black Predator movie. Apparently it has "The Predator" for a title?

EDIT: Errr, forgot this is an Alien thread (and specifically an Alien 3 thread at that) so a new Predator movie isn't really THAT on topic...

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

There was an Alien game for the C64/Spectrum etc. where you have a map of the Nostromo and have to manage where everyone is and what stuff they have (and you can even track Jones :D) to complete the plan of flushing the Alien out the airlock, it's actually pretty tense and cool. But some of the tension goes away when the Alien kills one of the crew. There's an animation of the Alien....just sort of sitting around chilling out? His claw is a bit animated, but instead of being menacing it literally looks like an old friend offering you a drink or something, it's amazing.

Haha, are you talking about this? I think this is supposed to be "Alien poised and ready to strike" and I probably would have saw it as such but after your description I can't help but think that it's just sitting on the couch scratching its leg and being all "sup?" Also it looks like it's wearing pants.

EDIT: That said, it's actually remarkable how much of their creepiness the alien creatures are able to retain even in pixelated 80s videogame form.

^I mean, even if you had no idea about the Alien movies you can still tell that whatever those things are, they are some particularly nasty mofos.

And with just a little bit more fidelity you get the Bitch in all her glory!

lizardman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've heard from multiple sources now that the Aliens Blu-Ray makes it look "cheap" and that it appears they changed the color timing. I haven't seen the thing myself but every clip and screenshot I've taken a look at doesn't seem off to me. I'm going to have to see it for myself one of these days.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

If memory serves, the director's cut on the Blu-ray has more of a blue tint while the theatrical cut looks a bit better. Which is fine with me, since outside of the turret sequence the theatrical is so much tighter. :can:

^ Ha, I actually don't think that's a controversial opinion. Plenty of people love and prefer the director's cut, but I think the consensus is that most people should see the theatrical cut first, and if they love the movie revisit it with the director's cut.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

This is interesting to know too because in Aliens they only had six alien costumes to work with PERIOD but Cameron edits and shoots in such away that viewer instinctively "knows" there are a lot of them around (and also he wisely has a points where Ripley reminds how just one of them killed her entire crew save her and the later the cast does the math with everyone's locators and figures there's about 120+ of them).

I've always been a bit baffled how Alien sequels keep neutering themselves by reminding you there's only, like, 12 aliens to watch out for. The whole thing with Aliens was that they felt like a relentless, endless swarm.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

3 and AvP are the only ones that did this, to my recollection; 3 was deliberately trying to dial it back to the style of the first film, with one alien taking down a group of unarmed non-soldier victims, and AvP did it for continuity reasons (there's only a couple people that get facehugged in that movie and no other explanation for a large group of xenomorphs).

Oh, I don't include Alien 3 here, I understand it was a return to the single-menace format. I concur AVP is an offender and I swear Resurrection had not much more than the xenos that emerged from the "cargo" people that were used for facehugger-fodder, and that the number was even referenced in dialog.

Also in Requiem (this one I could be wrong about, it's been quite a while) where there ostensibly is a mass of aliens to deal with, the movie still mostly consists of scenes dealing with just a few aliens at a time.

Sef! posted:

Resurrection almost feels like an extreme overcorrection in the face of the negative reaction to Alien 3. The third movie is this weird, stripped-down flick with very little levity to break its oppressive atmosphere. Alien Resurrection is basically Pip farting on a snare drum. I remember reading some trivia somewhere that Jeunet was really into the idea of having a scene where a mosquito lands on Ripley, and upon drinking her blood disappears in a puff of smoke (because of its acidic nature). Is that at face value kind of funny? Yes. Does it really belong in an Alien movie? Uh

On this note, Whedon's script ends with Nu-Ripley getting into a prolonged and intense fistfight with the Newborn (who in this version resembles a Resident Evil creature more than a confused cross-species hybrid abomination) and wins by grabbing its tongue/inner-jaw, ripping it out and using it to stab into its forehead... which also resembles something out of a Resident Evil movie.

Maybe they can re-use Whedon's script and cast Milla Jovovich and release it as "Resident Evil: Resurrection" and see if anybody notices.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Let's get real here, Sigourney Weaver can say whatever she likes but she did Alien Resurrection because they offered her $11 million, producer credit, and got to be a bigshot diva on the set.

A (what kind of looks like) sex scene with an alien? Yes, Ms. Weaver! Move the production to LA because you don't want to travel to London? Yes, Ms. Weaver! You want that other actress's outfit? It's yours, Ms. Weaver!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

Some of the behind the scenes stuff from the Alien movies makes Weaver seem like kind of a bitch.

Really? I know I just got done portraying her as a spoiled egomaniac but I was kind of taking the piss there. (And really, I don't even blame her: Star in your stupid movie? No thanks. Oh wait, you're going to pay me a fortune and treat me like a king? Well, then...)

All the behind the scenes stuff from the Alien movies I've seen she comes off well, the preferential treatment she received on the productions notwithstanding, and everybody has nothing but flattering things to say about her -- and the Alien movies have had some brutally honest post mortem chatter so it's not just PR fluff.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

evobatman posted:

I've always wondered what the Aliens movie timeline looks like from Ripleys point of view.

Bad poo poo happens in Aliens for a couple of days -> work on the space station for maybe a couple of weeks -> poo poo goes bad on LV426 for two or three days -> prison incidents for a few days -> wake up as a clone, gain consciousness and defeat aliens, land on earth.

The whole saga, from they receive the distress signal in Alien until they land on earth in Resurrection is over for Ripley in just a few weeks of being awake. The rest is spent in stasis sleep or being dead.

Haha, I always think of this when watching Alien 3 and she says to the alien something like "you've been in my life for so long I can't remember anything else" which I felt was obviously written from more the audience's perspective - it's been years for us, but for Ripley?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

She worked with him again for Avatar so I guess she eventually got over it.

There are certainly a few big name actors that would never work with Cameron again though. He almost drowned Ed Harris and made Kate Winslet sit in freezing cold water for like 3 days.

Of course, the actor with the biggest bone to pick with Cameron is almost certainly Linda Hamilton, who he dumped 9 months into their marriage for a chick he met while filming Titanic.

This is sort of related to why I don't think Weaver was difficult on the set (at least for the Alien movies). When the crew talks of Cameron, they don't necessarily badmouth him, but you get a sense that after every sentence like "oh, he's such a genius, visionary director, etc." there's an unspoken "...but goddamn was he an rear end in a top hat." I never picked up anything similar in regards to Weaver.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wild T posted:

A lot of the commentaries seem to speak highly of her, I don't think she was being a bitch*. Like others have said, I think she was genuinely uninterested in rehashing the series but the studios offered so much scratch she couldn't say no. She did often bring up her own ideas for the franchise, but the big difference was early on she didn't have the pull to influence production.

About the closest I remember is a hilarious segment where James Cameron talks about Sigourney coming to him in confidence and asking if it was necessary for Ripley to have a gun in the third act, as she was very uncomfortable with the idea. He took her out to a range with one of the Thompsons they used as pulse rifle props and had her blast a magazine downrange. She wildly unloaded the subgun, turned towards him wide-eyed and said "that was fun."

*Then again, there's a chance that she may have been and Fox simply said "we don't care, no badmouthing the star of the franchise in the commentary."

Oh my God, if there's anyone out there that loves the Alien movies but doesn't have the Quadrilogy box set for whatever reason, all the delicious behind the scenes dirt you get on each movie is worth the price on its own - these are NOT the typical PR interviews you get in most special features, and everyone is amusingly candid about how every one of these movies was complete hell to make.

Some of my favorite anecdotes from the Alien movies include the above quoted as well as:

- Cameron recounts a time Sigourney Weaver comes up to him and tells him she's having trouble with character motivation: she doesn't believe Ripley would truly hate the alien. Cameron replies (and you can just picture him rolling his eyes at her) "of course she hates the alien, it killed all her acquaintances and ruined her life". He eventually has to frame the story in terms of Ripley's desire to help people in order to satisfy Weaver. Cameron sounds like he has to bite his tongue else he'd remark, "Women, amirite?"

(Actually, I don't think Weaver is all that off base - if a lion killed my friends and ruined my life I would probably be traumatized but I don't think I would be, like, inspired to exterminate the entire species of lions. That said, "why does Ripley hate the alien" does sound pretty asinine at first).

- Things got heated on the set of the original Alien between Yaphet Kotto and Sigourney Weaver - apparently in the scene where Ripley yells at Parker to "shut up" that is literally Sigourney Weaver telling Kotto to shut up so she can say her line.

Apparently Kotto had nothing personal against Weaver and he was just trying to stay in character, but it's hard to say because the whole thing is told second hand by Veronica Cartwright in full-on "scatterbrained chainsmoking gossipy middle-aged lady" mode, down to her doing an imitation of Kotto ("I'm 250 pounds, black as can be, I ain't taking orders from no skinny white bitch!")

- Urban legend has it that Weaver negotiated an extra one or two million dollars for shaving her head in Alien 3. I read an interview from her taken at the time where she denies this (in this same interview she swears she won't do another Alien movie, though, so...).

However we do know that they eventually had to reshoot the ending. By this time Weaver's hair had started growing back and her contract said she had to receive a bonus if she shaved her head again. Rather than pay out the bonus, it was cheaper for 20th Cent Fox to instead develop the most advanced bald cap ever made at the time and shoot with that.

- HR Giger, along with his girlfriend, would visit the set of Alien wearing a black cape and apparently he completely creeped out much of the crew with his odd demeanor.

- The producer of Aliens was Cameron's wife at the time, Gale Anne Hurd, and apparently she was a big fan of threatening to fire any crew member who disagreed with her or Cameron. She did the same to James Horner when he told her he simply couldn't complete the score on the schedule they gave him. He called her bluff.

(She did actually fire the movie's assistant director, but from the sounds of it he was a big jackass...)

- I was not kidding in my other post about Weaver taking another actress's outfit:

"Alien Resurrection posted:

Ripley's outfit was going to be a different one than the dark red uniform she is wearing for the most of the film. After Sigourney Weaver saw Kim Flowers (Hillard) on the set, she wanted to wear the same costume. Hillard can be seen in the exact same outfit in the underwater scene.

- I can't find a source for this IMDB bit, but I can just picture her saying this:

quote:

Sigourney Weaver originally refused to do a fourth Alien film. When asked why she changed her mind, she replied, "They basically drove a dumptruck full of money to my house".

- Dan O'Bannon, on-screen, accuses the producers of changing all the character names in his Alien script simply in order to dick him out of royalties.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 27, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's some truth to James Horner being a one-trick pony (though probably more accurate to say he's like, a six-or-seven trick pony), but I love that trick so drat much I don't care. RIP, wish ya took a train that night instead.

That reminds me: not even the drat score composers came away from the movies unscathed from drama and bullshit! We already mentioned Horner, but Jerry Goldsmith harbored a grudge against Ridley Scott for rejecting much of his first submitted score for Alien and replacing parts with music from other sources. You can see him on the DVD saying "I still get people coming up to me complimenting me on the music to Alien and I smile and nod but I'm thinking 'I wrote that in five minutes'."

Rumor has it that Oscar voters "punished" Goldsmith that year: his score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture was considered a frontrunner, but they didn't award it as they were disgusted that Goldsmith had (apparently) actively campaigned for the academy to not nominate his work for Alien.

You also get to see Elliot Goldenthal express his disappointment with how his Alien 3 score turned out in the final movie - he's proud of the material but I suppose the way it was edited/mixed in the film didn't do it justice in his mind.

Seriously, they could just re-edit the title cards to be more colorful/whimsical and name it something like "Get Away From Her You Bitch: The Behind the Scenes Divas of ALIEN" and you could run the features as one of those talking head pop culture shows marathoning on VH1 24/7.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 27, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh, come on, let's not pretend we all wouldn't poo poo our pants if we saw the Alien crab walk toward us like that.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You're all part right. You see the Alien 'walking' but it's not a full-body shot (you can't see it's legs).

I think the closest thing we get to a full-body shot of the Alien standing upright is a very quick one (I believe in the Parker/Lambert attack but it could have been the scene with Brett) where the creature is rising from a crouching position.

And, of course, the infamous shots at the end where it's being blown out of the airlock where everyone is like, "oh it's just a guy in a suit!"

EDIT: I'm reminded of that episode of the Nickelodeon cartoon Doug, where the main character is frightened to death of a sci-fi horror movie called "The Abnormal" until he reaches the end and he can see the zipper on the monster's costume. I always suspected this was riffing on the end of Alien (even if "The Abnormal" appears to be a mish-mash of The Hidden and The Thing).

lizardman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

This joke is flying right over my head - was Shmorky the guy who animated some of the old SA flash cartoons on the front page ("how is babby formed", etc)?

It's AvP.

AvP:R to be specific - they tried bringing back the head ridges in that one, and I don't know what else they did, but the xenos look more... "meaty?"...in that movie.