Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Since we're talking about Resurrection I'm going to dig up this six year old inane post about my childhood fever dreams of what Alien Resurrection could've been like, based solely on an AvP 2 map.

General Battuta posted:

Okay, veering into the intersection between toychat and cinematography: long before I ever saw and felt let down by Alien Resurrection, I played a lot of Aliens vs Predator 2. That game had a multiplayer map called "Auriga", set on the ship from Resurrection. I remember it being far more golden and oddly lit than the other maps, like a strange collusion of clinical brutalist and misty jungle. It really leapt out of the map lineup.

I remember wondering where it came from, and whether it was 'futuristic' - a map from some kind of phantasmagorial post-movies reality in which human existence and architecture had been permanently altered, made misty and organic like the underbelly of the derelict where Kane found the eggs. Like the people who built it no longer recognized a distinction between the technological and the biohorrific.

Once I saw the movie it was not like this at all, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think a good alien movie should be a series of absurd atrocities. Not the kind of absurd where you laugh, the kind that really bother you on a level that makes you want to reject them. That’s why I like Prometheus, it’s just a series of grotesque transfigurations from purpose into chaos. Something Ligotti would write.

One thing I think is really important to movies like this is the contrast between clean designed sterile capitalist spaces and the intrusion of gore/infection/transformation. The uhhhhh alienation of place if you will

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Scorn came out, the Giger/Beksinski game that's basically set on EngineerWorld. It's probably a better Prometheus sequel than Covenant (sorry David you were great). I was worried the art style would just be a superficial skin on a traditional adventure game, but it really does engage headfirst with the Giger theme of nightmarish mechanized reproduction. It even has some very Prometheus beats, like a species of superhuman hominids with a mysterious reproductive fetish, and a parasite produced from an accidental and bizarre combination of events which becomes a major plot driver.

I don't know if anyone here will actually like it, but I loved it, especially the ending.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I want Aliens vs Engineers more than I ever wanted aliens versus predators. The idea of the divine being degraded and used as a mere incubator by the profane cosmic accident-inevitability of the xenomorph is such good horror, it's something Scorn played on really well. All this fetishized self-adoring grandeur and a thing lurking in it, waiting to prey on the arrogance of the architects.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I've never seen it. Does the second season end on some sort of cliffhanger or is there closure?

It ends on an enormous cliffhanger, but given that the show is batshit insane top to bottom it's kind of a suitable conclusion. I mean the last words spoken on screen are 'what the gently caress' and that's just the perfect wrap-up.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nah season two gave a surprising number of pretty concrete answers. I wonder if they knew they were gonna get canceled and decided to frontload some stuff.

The wack was absolutely the point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The opening scene of Covenant is real fuckin good, I love that poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They should let David bomb Earth with black goo and see what happens.

I know the timelines don't match up but let me dream.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oblivion is peak dadwave

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

"Slap some tits on that xenomorph" - the plot of a bunch of dark horse alien comics as I recall (don't correct me)

e:

quote:

Before the leader of the survivor's group, Melody, unsurprisingly betrays the troop of Synthetics, she reveals that the new strain of Xenomorphs - dubbed the "Icarus Strain" - have evolved to develop human-like emotions and intelligence levels. This is... truly terrifying, and completely changes the future of the Xenomorph, which has previously been described as an almost cosmic creature.

Hm, that's what I like to see in my cosmic horror. They're people now, they got feelings and they can call you names.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 15, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Not reading any spoilers but I hope it's connected to Covenant somehow......it's me, I'm the latter day Ridley liker

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man I wish we got another David movie

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

saw some leaks for the canceled bloomkampf reboot that may or may not be real but lol'd regardless

:justpost:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i didnt like the xenomorph design in covenant all that much would have preferred if they had focused on the neomorphs and just had them keep getting bigger

Yeah they were loving horrifying. I wanted a lot more of them trying to sort of act like people.

e: if I were writing Alien Covenant I would've had David 'resurrect' James Franco for Katherine Waterston by stickin a chestburster in Mr. Francos corpse and then I don't know what would have happened but I bet it would've been hosed up

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 7, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I actually had a dream that I was in Alien Covenant last night, and I remember complaining (as we were all massacred in a phantasmagoria of ruptured flesh, oozing fluids, and violations of the body) that the script had dropped all of the interesting ideas from Prometheus.

I often think about this dream, I think I was addressing this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I thought Scorn was much more Beksinski than Giger

It’s actually Beksinski vs. Giger, AVP style.

Baronjutter posted:

I really didn't like scorn. They were just aping a couple very great art styles but there was almost no world building and the levels didn't really make any sense. They just had one idea, the art, and beyond that put the most minimal effort into weaving any sort of game or story into it. I was hoping for something deep and mysterious, a lore hole to dive into and figure things out from environmental storytelling alone. But instead they just kinda went with what ever they thougth looked cool or gross or creepy and didn't put any thought in beyond that. There's nothing to discover.

I liked the world and story a lot and enjoyed thinking about everything it showed me. By the end of the game I felt like I had a sense for what this civilization had been and how it went wrong.