Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The new invasion is driving me loving insane. My friends and I triggered the Martians once by accident, had four of the minibosses spawn that first time. Most of us got dicked over on loot from him so we went looking to start the event some more. We did the event FOUR MORE TIMES and each of those times had not a single loving miniboss spawn for the entire time. Is there some trigger that causes the saucers to spawn or what? It's really frustrating to waste time doing the event and have none of the enemy that actually drops loot spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

Have you tried not killing the hands? That sounds like he might going "WELL gently caress YOU THEN".

The pre-hardmode bosses have new gimmicks on expert. Expert Skeletron's new gimmick is that he has insane defense(most attacks will do 1 damage) until you kill both hands.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

The final part of expert skeletron is super dicey solo if you're not overgeared and requires some frantic platforming to not loving die, yeah. He's one of the hardest bosses in fresh character expert progression to fight solo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Does that one work when you take it to a not-expert world?

No, the slot will be grayed out and whatever accessory is in it won't work on non-expert worlds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

No doubt a big nerf to them is coming soon, but for now I for one am enjoying the hell out of my grotesquely overpowered yo-yo.

There's really no reason to nerf them because they're at best on par with the stupid poo poo that ranged/magic/summons can do later on. The Terrarian is an insanely powerful endgame weapon but so are all of the others(and I would contend that it's probably not as good as the options the other weapon types have available). Them being an actual good melee option as you're going through the game is something good instead of something bad, since relying on melee for most of the game was like deliberately handicapping yourself before.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway.

There are lots of enemies in hard mode that will confuse you for 30 seconds in one touch, or curse you(no weapon usage at all!) for 10+ seconds in one touch, or break your armor and reduce your defense by approximately a million for like two minutes. Status effects are the most lethal thing in Terraria.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I spent a lot of time on my friends' and my 1.3 world building an actual little village for our NPCs to live in instead of just a lovely series of tiny boxes in a prison tower. Then we lost every NPC to eclipses/blood moons/martian madness a couple times because someone would be AFK in the spawn so stuff would spawn around them and I ended up roofing/walling the entire village up because it was a huge pain in the rear end to have to wait for the arms dealer to come back to buy ammo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

graynull posted:

What are people finding compliments summoning builds well? I imagine most people are using magic to give them an active ranged attack that doesn't rely on specialized gear to keep your ammo/projectiles in stock. I've been messing around with some melee options as my multiplayer group approaches the end of normal mode.

Also, gently caress the 10min timer on the Bewitching Table. I've taken to just carrying one around with me to plop down and pick up since the buff timer is so short.

The Bewitching Table and Crystal Ball are both super tedious and should just be indefinite until you die or remove the buff manually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Did anyone put a significant amount of time into that Terraria overhaul mod? It looked interesting but I was worried the new mechanics(such as no iframes and being dependent on dodge rolls) would fall apart horribly as the game progressed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

On my first Thorium run I spent 2 nights farming materials for ice gear because I couldn't get it through my head that there are no gimmicks, it really is as lovely as it looks. I think I ended up with enough to make 3 weapons and the armor set and it was all worse than wood gear that I could have made in less than 30 seconds. Never again.

I'm also pretty much done with the gotta have a pre-EoC boss bit of brain damage infecting a lot of these mods. The placement means they're never interesting and any drops barely last the next night before getting vendored.

I found the ice gear in Thorium to be pretty useful because I generally pick up the mats for a couple armor pieces and a weapon incidentally without going out of my way when doing early game grubbing/exploring if there's a convenient ice biome and it means that I'm good for EoC and probably EoW/BoC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm going insane because I've got a modded run going with a couple friends(Thorium, Spirit, and a few utility mods like Magic Storage/ImkSushi) and it was going great but recently when I put the server up I'm being pounded with aggressive FPS drops that render the game functionally unplayable. It runs at 60 FPS in singleplayer with no drops. Rebooting used to fix it but it doesn't anymore.

I've tried loving with my video settings, changing CPU priorities, reinstalling mods, everything. Only happens when I'm hosting MP.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ashsaber posted:

Slow, IIRC unpowered, require lots of material to get more than a dozen blocks worth of track,can't run people over to kill them, did I mention slow and expensive?

Terraria gives you like 50 for one iron and one wood, Minecraft gives 16 standard rails for 6 iron and a stick.

Terraria is hugely generous with minecart tracks and it's excellent. Whenever I get the itch and start from scratch with my friends one of the first major projects I do when I finish up the basic housing complex is start laying down sky tracks to the ends of the world because it's cheap enough to be feasible to do even during pre hardmode progression and it saves a ton of travel time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

i am tim! posted:

I also inevitability build a skyrail after making my NPC Apartment Complex. The only issue I have with it is that it feels tacky, but I can’t imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to build and maintain a subway under the surface.

I would never want to make a subway anyway because one of the biggest advantages of a skyrail is that there won't be a ton of monsters spawning in the way. Any monster you can't gib on a minecart track hits you and expert hard mode enemies sting like a motherfucker.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I never liked Calamity much. Its later bosses are tremendously sadistic and unfun to fight and the items in it are hellaciously power creepy; it just doesn't feel like it slots into the game's power curve at all, whereas Thorium feels like it fits perfectly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

662 dead Dark Mummies on this world alone and still no megaphone, this is getting silly.

It's okay to cheat in the Ankh Shield once you get through a significant chunk of hard mode because the farming requirement for it is extremely stupid for how important the item is, especially for modded games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

volcanically hot take: if there was a terraria 2, i probably wouldn't get it. the original already fills the entirety of its own genre niche.

Given that the original Terraria has been a completed game but then massively expanded on numerous times by now and has also had multiple giant overhaul mods released for it, I'd say there's room for iteration and improvement of said genre niche.

But yeah, the most important thing for a theoretical Terraria 2 would be:

Zereth posted:

One of the main things I'm hoping for in Terraria 2 is the thing being built with mod support in mind.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't think I'd say Terraria was really "finished" until hardmode went in for the first time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

Speaking of mods, who remembers... Secret of Red Cloud, I think it was called? From before the mod loader existed, I believe.

That map was fantastic. Well, okay, I lie, it was actually a huge janky mess that barely functioned at all and was entirely reliant on the honor system to work because crafting would break the intended progression, but it did some amazing things at the time like having custom bosses and a pseudo-RPG progression through gear acquisition.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

The Alchemy mod that adds a few vendors is super useful. You can buy ingredients, or just buy pre-made multi-buff potions if you want to save space and effort.

This and other quality of life mods like Fargo's(which lets you buy boss spawners) are pretty much requirements for me because they remove so much farming tedium.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Verviticus posted:

if i had a wishlist for terraria, it would be to guarantee some biomes in creation (and allow for bigger world sizes/most fun stuff like cloud biomes), allow for both types of metal and maybe evil terrain to appear during hardmode, and for stuff dropped on the ground to not disappear for a very long time, or at least stuff dropped upon death to never ever disappear

if we're being really crazy it would be cool if you could do something like reset the dungeon so if you have a server with a bunch of friends, the slow dumbass can go through it without it having being hacked apart and looted. as it is, the largest world you can make is really only suitably interesting for maybe 2-3 people before it becomes difficult to explore without too much overlapping

There are map generator mods you can use that let you have both corruption and crimson at once, IIRC.

Really? Large worlds, in my experience, are so loving big that even at post moon lord levels having done tons of strip mining with 3-4 people on a server huge segments of the map are unexplored because there's simply too much space.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap, are maps even big enough to support all the materials/biomes you need for Thorium+Calamity+Tremor stuff in a playthrough?

Just started looking into this and combining those three might be a mistake for a coop adventure. Or not. :gibs:

Very excited to look at more fun toys though, especially quality of life mods, looks like Magic Storage might be a must. Gotta look into others. Is there a master list somewhere with recommended mods and descriptions for easy readings? I can look through the thread, though, to start.

From personal experience, I'd recommend picking two megamods instead of three. Once you get to three megamods a lot of the content starts stepping on each others' toes and you simply ignore a ton of potential gear options because there's now 27 types of armor at that tier or whatever.

Of the three, I think Tremor is very weak and poorly done compared to the other two, unless Tremor has had a MASSIVE overhaul in the past few months. Thorium is the most polished and closest to vanilla-style balancing while still being expansive, and Calamity is a lot less balanced than Thorium but still more polished than Tremor and also adds an enormous shitload of endgame stuff while Thorium is fairly bare at that point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Man, if they want me to build functioning houses instead of a floating tower of cubicles for my NPCs they need to make it so NPCs on ground level don't get murderized in hard mode by every invasion event.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For what it's worth, my initial response to Calamity way back when was "gently caress this is way too hard and complicated, gently caress this", but I did a playthrough on Revengeance mode in it a couple months ago and was shocked at how much fun it was. It's got a pretty intelligent difficulty curve now. The bosses are scads above what "normal" Terraria bosses are capable of, but you get a lot more powerful to compensate.

As a complete experience I'd easily rate it as good as Thorium is provided you don't get frustrated dying on bosses for a little while until you learn the pattern. It's definitely not for the kind of player who just wants to play super relaxed and chill, though. Just don't bother with Supreme Calamitas and you're golden since everything up to that point is a natural progression of getting stronger and stronger and fighting more and more complex bosses. Beating Devourer of Gods for the first time feels loving amazing.

Also the DM Dokuro soundtrack kicks absolute rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah. The whole sandbox thing makes it very ill-suited to getting an official story. After all, all that happens in Terraria is that there are zombies and eyeballs at night, slimes by day. Anything worse than that happens as a result of player action.

Breaking heart crystals and using them to get more health is what causes the Eye of Cthulhu to appear, breaking shadow orbs/crimson hearts is what awakes the eater of world/brain of cthulhu and summons a meteorite, entering hardmode requires the player sacrificing their Guide, and so on. The only "altruistic" boss fight in the game is defeating Skeletron to free an old man from a curse. If you never raid the Lizard temple, the cultists never appear; if you never disturb the Cultists, the celestial pillars never arrive, if you don't destroy the celestial pillars the Moonlord never comes, and so on. And if you die and lose a fight against a boss, nothing bad happens to the world, the boss just goes away and despawn while you get to respawn 10 seconds later and can try again.

There are sound gameplay reasons for that, so all players can do what they want, progress at whatever pace they want, you can speedrun the boss chain in less than an hour or you can focusing on building stuff and never even bother entering hardmode. It's great and gives the players a lot of freedom and the ability to replay the game in a completely different way. But it's not really compatible with an external storyline that doesn't really make sense anyway.

Calamity tries to square the "infinitely respawning player" as a lore piece in the world, to the point where the final super boss talks to you(in text, of course) and acknowledges that no matter how many times she kills you you can never truly die, so why don't you just give up and save you both a lot of bother? The lyrics of the vocal theme for the penultimate boss, Yharon, are Yharon talking to his master about how there's no loving way the player can be stopped and how Yharon's master can't really win the fight on a permanent basis but Yharon is gonna try his best anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The drill noise is also horrible to listen to over and over and over and over.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah you're absolutely not really meant to fight anything down there until post Moonlord. It's all about sneaking around and trying not to die while you scoop up the loot that you have access to at the time.

I really like the Abyss and think it's the most creative thing a Terraria mod has ever done. Going down there can be actually legit creepy, when you can barely see and you're slowly dying and oh poo poo is that wyrm literally twice the length of the screen?????

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Note how the 'teaser' video constantly cuts in and out and doesn't show any real combat, let alone starting out combat. My only experience with that mod was for a couple hours and it is the embodiment of loving tedium.

Yeah it made just interacting with the game on a basic level tedious enough in the early stages that I can't imagine trying to deal with hardmode stuff with how it handles combat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

watho posted:

Autoswing really isn’t the reason why true melee is considered bad, it’s because where you attack is tied to your position so it’s way harder to dodge and attack at the same time. This is supposed to be counteracted by having more defense but enemies deal way too much damage for that to be enough

Yeah autoswing is an early game QoL boost but for lategame the issue with melee is almost entirely that being within melee range of most enemies/bosses is loving suicidal, especially on expert. The boosted defense from melee armor might turn a two hit death into a three hit death at best, so the optimal approach is to just not get hit, which dramatically favors ranged attacks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

watho posted:

The problem with the biome key weapons is that they’re balanced around being good post plantera which is like end of act 2 at this point

Yeah it's less that they're not good and more that they used to be the final set of obtainable weapons and now they're eclipsed by the ridiculous power jump from the moon stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eschenique posted:

Trying to find the energy to do another expert mode playthrough. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is having to start every new boss encounter by spending half an hour clearing out the area and building platforms while dodging enemies.

I think I did planteras arena just by blasting the whole place out with dynamite.

But then I'm a big cheat who starts every new playthrough by giving myself the highest level mining pick. Because saving hours work of "tick tick tick" sounds as I gradually clear stone improves the quality of life for me.

Just use a cheat mod and build yourself a fully featured arena with it in each biome where you're going to fight a boss in a fraction of the time. If you're already giving yourself a pickaxe to save time there's nothing that says you can't just build an arena too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eschenique posted:

My point is more that Expert doesn't make the game any more challenging but rather more tedious. Bosses that could normally be easily defeated in their natural environment with dodging etc instead requires elaborate arenas.

I always play on expert and the most elaborate arena I usually make in vanilla is a set of floating platforms with torches, and I guess paving over the gaps in part of hell to make the WoF easier. My skeletron arena is almost always "the top of the dungeon with some platforms above it"; any boss that is biome agnostic from the first eye I kill to the moon lord I'll use the exact same floating arena near my house for.

I made some much more elaborate arenas for Calamity Revengeance but the bosses in that are kaizo insanity compared to vanilla.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

watho posted:

Honestly the lunar car key is such a downgrade mobility wise if you know what you’re doing I never use it

Yeah the UFO mount absolutely cannot match the mobility of a player properly slinging themselves around and is honestly imo detrimental against Moon Lord since it won't let you reliably dodge all the poo poo happening in that fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A normal expert run(i.e. not a speedrun) is relatively easy pre-hardmode just because you have such a huge potential for power growth if you just prepare obsessively before fighting bosses. Skeletron is really, really loving hard if you fight him super early but he's not very hard if you go through hoops like getting buff potions and getting lots of HP and such before fighting him. Also, the Meteor Gun/Meteor Armor set kind of shits on everything pre-hardmode.

The real pain of expert begins in hardmode because your progression is pretty much hard gated by bosses so it's not really possible to overgear or overprep for bosses anymore and there's nothing as easily accessible as meteor gun that poops on everything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Does Calamity play nice with Thorium?

Calamity and Thorium are balanced completely differently. Thorium is tuned to basically Vanilla+ and has a much lower relative power and difficulty curve. Early on they'll play together fine, but the later you get the more Calamity stuff will simply supercede/obsolete Thorium stuff just because the gear Calamity starts giving you in mid-late hardmode is much more powerful than the stuff Thorium does.

Both are excellent, but I'd pick one or the other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Congratulations, the entire Calamity soundtrack is basically a set of ridiculous bangers. DM Dokuro did incredible work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's a shame, Revengeance mode is basically the only EXTRA DUPER HARD MODE from any of these mods that actually adds interesting new twists to the fights. King Slime getting a projectile shooting gem at half health and then a burst of speed when nearly down makes it a much more intense fight.

Yeah, Revengeance was actually pretty fun and rewarding for me to learn way back when I did it. The addition of adrenaline and rage also gives you a huge "gently caress YEAH" boost when you get good enough at reading patterns to consistently use it.

That said, I strongly recommend utilizing an NPC mod or something to make it so you can have full consumable buffs for everything, because it can get kind of annoying farming enough pots and such to learn a boss that's whipping your rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If Terraria 2 was literally Terraria except with background upgrades like integrated mod support it would probably be good enough for most people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do Journey-Master or just go straight in with Master so I'm forced to engage with everything "normally".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm actually bummed that they differentiated drills/pickaxes, because I always preferred pickaxes because the repetitive BRR BRR BRR noise the drills make drives me insane but now drills dig faster(which is more important than the extra reach of pickaxes, IMO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spent the afternoon and evening playing no-journey master with 3 friends. The HP scaling on master is absolutely ludicrous and makes bosses really goddamn sloggy - with 4 people on master the King Slime has nearly 10,000 hp, the Eye of Cthulhu has well over 13,000 hp, and the Eater of Worlds was pushing 50k. The latter is pretty ridiculous to deal with when you can't get in to use early piercing weapons because you can't risk being hit more than once or twice because contact with it does nearly 3 digits of damage with full gold armor, and since it has more segments now the vile spit spam becomes Touhou-esque.

I understand it would have been a lot more work, but I wish for Master that they had gone with a Calamity-style Revengeance makeover where instead of just pumping boss numbers up by a bajillion they actually varied up their AI and made them harder in ways besides Number Go Up.

Aside from master mode, all of the other stuff from the update is really, really goddamn cool. The Pylon system is absolutely amazing and building little hamlets all over the world and shuffling my npcs around is a lot more fun and engaging than my normal pattern of building one big castle with like 40 rooms at the start of the game and then never building anything ever again.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 17, 2020