Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Royal W posted:

For the wall of flesh, you want to build a runway in the underworld that runs at least half the length of the map.

Why? How do you use it? I'm getting close myself and I'm a newb newb as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

kvx687 posted:

You also really, really want a good ranged/magic weapon, preferably one that pierces multiple enemies. Fighting the Wall of Flesh in melee is somewhere between suicidal and outright impossible..

I have an Ice Boomerang, that good?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hmm, don't think I'm ready for the Wall of Flesh after all, thanks for all the tips!!!! Man this game is SO BIG!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

watho posted:

This might sound a bit elitist but that is not how I mean it at all. Wall of Flesh is pretty much the end of the tutorial, the way the game opens up and expands after that is pretty absurd. I'm not going to spoil anything because the game loving goes places. Basically, you're in for a ride in the best way possible.

Well I'm watching the Hardcore PBG Gaming Season 3 series and they only go to the Wall of Flesh so yeah it'll certainly be a surprise when I finally make it to Hardmode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well my son is the Creative Director for PBJ Gaming (the channel) which is how I know about Terraria in the first place so I'll finish that series. Expert seems truly frightening given the myriad deaths I've experienced playing this 'tutorial". :negative:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey guys I'm unsure of where to go from here. I'm in Hardmode, I have a Godly KO Cannon, a Demonic Clockwork Assault Rifle, a mix of Molten and Orichalum armor, Obsidian Shield, and some movement accessories. Should I start fishing for stuff? I was going to try to get the Dao Pao weapon, but there's no Hallowed Desert in my world.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Since you seem to be focusing on melee/ranged damage, what I recommend is making yourself some Frost Armor. It costs 46 bars of Titanium/Adamantite and 3 Frost Cores, but it's one of the best general hard mode sets you can get outside of the super specialized stuff. It causes all of your melee and ranged attacks to inflict the frostburn debuff on enemies. You can also make a pretty strong ranged weapon by combining a shotgun (from the arms dealer), 2 dark shards, and 10 souls of night.

Also, you mentioned "some movement accessories" does that include wings? If not, you should go harpy hunting. Be prepared for Falcor.

No I don't have Wings. How do I find Floating Islands? Isn't that where the harpy's are? I'll look up Falcor :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I looked up Wyvern's and it looks like it's pretty hard to fight them without titanium armor, so I'm working on getting a set. Looks like it'll be a long long time as I'm not finding much sadly.

Thanks everyone!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, even on hardmode the wyvern isn't too difficult. Lure it down to an arena if you want to be safe (especially since harpies will continue to spawn if you fight it up high) but with a little bit of dodging practice you'll be totally fine. And the wings are worth it.

Alrighty I will give it a shot. I have an arena set up next to my house, maybe I'll move the nurse even closer to the arena.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

If you haven't learned it yet, breaking more altars spawns more hard mode ores, so try that if you're looking for more adamantine too.

I broke three, I should break more?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well twice I found a Wyvern and went home, and twice it didn't follow me. I tried fighting one in the air but I don't think my armor is good enough. I broke about 8 or so altars but still no titanium. I'm going down to where I fought the Wall of Flesh, is that the right place to find it?

Thanks all, so much appreciated, I was getting so frustrated.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Are you sure the altars spawned titanium and not adamantite?

I have a metal detector and it's found titanium which I got. But not much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Probably easier to fish for titanium really.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Next game I'll stockpile crates in pre-Hardmode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

Go down to hell and dig up, stupid! (titanium spawns more often at deeper levels)

I guess I don't understand what/where Hell is? I was told not to try to mine where the Wall of Flesh is, are you saying (yes rudely) that I should mine above there? Amazingly enough I wasn't born with Terraria knowledge and the wiki is not clear on this point.

Sorry but I'm new at this game and am trying to play it so I can finish it or at least get to Plantera.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Again thanks everyone!! Gotta get the best armor to start working on the Mechanical guys.

I really really like the game, so much to learn!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Having been beaten by The Destroyer five times in a row, I guess I'll see you guys in a couple of years.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Hallowed Mimic and the Rune Wizard are eating me for lunch, I think mostly because I don't recognize them in time and switch to my assault rifle. I'll work harder on killing the Hallowed Mimic for the Bow.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

In a pinch, you can force-spawn hallowed mimics by crafting a light key with 15 light souls, cramming it (and nothing else) into a chest, then closing the chest. Makes it easier to prepare for the fight.

I have a ton of light souls, I'll give that a shot.

HAHA me playing on Expert Mode, funniest thing I've heard all week :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks guys, Destroyer down. Now I need a Magic Quiver it seems. Any way to farm Skeleton Archers?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have a Megashark, is the Blaster better?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can't find the dark shards unfortunately :( I've farmed all through the desert.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

For the Megashark, you might want to try taking four full stacks of normal musket balls to a crystal ball (available from the Wizard) and crafting a bag of infinite musket balls.

This was awesome!!! Game became a lot easier, even without the blaster.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I'm a fan of using party bullets instead. It's not quite free but it does a good bit more damage and provides a ton of light while only costing 50 silver a stack.

Yeah the party bullets paired with the blaster is working great! 204 skeleton archers down and still no quiver :( I've gotten other drops that the wiki says have a .04 chance to drop but not that one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

good job now if you kill 46 more there's a 50% chance that you'll be in the group that got a quiver in the first 250 kills :unsmigghh:

Ah so my expectations are too high!!! Got it now :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Don't bring them down equally. Focus on one over the other, or you're in for a world of hurt. Also I'm sure this is a dumb question, but are you using buff potions? A heap of buffs can make all the difference in the world.

I'm using endurance, swiftness, cooked fish, regeneration and ironskin. Have I missed any?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Focus your attacks on the eye that shoots green flames. It's the more dangerous of the two, and the laser-shooting eye is easy to take out when it's alone. One tip I have for avoiding their attacks is that you fly/fall vertically faster than you can move horizontally, so flying straight up or jumping off your skybridge is a good way to quickly get out of the way of the green flamethrower attack.

Thanks. Yeah this worked better than the unicorn approach which kept me too far down. On to Skeletron Prime!!!

Again thanks everyone this has been so much fun!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I got past Skeletron Prime, went to craft my Pickaxe Axe, and somehow don't have the Soul of Sight so back to The Twins. Sigh. Is the Flamethrower any good? Should I craft that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

(I'm a she :) ) I have the Daedalus Stormbow, that's how I killed the Skeletron Prime. Man just completed the Solar Eclipse. My nurse died right off the bat, but I got out to my arena and stayed at the top, so I only died like 15 times instead of a lot more. I guess Plantera is next? But I need the green armor, right?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can't find any Plantera bulbs :negative:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I found one but it's right next to the temple. Will try to set up the teleport roadway anyway, wish me luck :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well that didn't work, Plantera de-spawned when it got down to half health. My runway was 175 tiles, is that too many? I'm using the teleportation trick strategy discussed in the wiki and I watched a couple of vids on it as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What is wrong with this teleporter set up? The teleporters will only teleport to themselves

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks, killed Plantera easy peasy with the teleporter hall set up. Now for yet another problem :(

Why won't the truffle move into this house? I've been away from the house for literally days and he won't move in. The dryad that I've moved around has moved but the truffle won't come. Any help much appreciated.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks everyone, I'll re-do it. Where do you put the house in that pic?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yep worked like a charm and I have my autohammer. Now for the big decision. I have a Megashark, a Clockwork Assault Rifle, a Daedalus Stormbow, a grenade launcher and a Chlorophyte Shotbow. So which Shoomite mask do I make? I don't mind farming for something else, noting I have not beaten the Golem or Fishron.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Make all three unless you have a weapon you really like and probably won't change

Thanks I've now made two of them. What's the best upgrades from Holy Arrows and Party Bullets?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Golem barely seems worth cheesing, he's so easy compared to Plantera.

Using the teleport strategy described on the wiki, Plantera was probably the easiest boss I've faced. I do wonder if it's an exploit but I only play vanilla and I don't know much (as you can tell) about the innards of the game. I made a 150 tile (not more) asphalt pathway, made sure it was tall enough only for me, and teleported from one end to the other as Plantera closed in. Didn't even need to use a health potion.

OK back to farming unicorns :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nvm, saw the traps in the jungle temple, I get it now.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kalas posted:

I still can't get over how much play time I've gotten out of something I spent 10$ on years ago. They keep frickin updating it, and that's not even mentioning mods.

I've spent over 300 hours on the game, absolutely the best value ever!!