Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Speaking of the desert, I'm guessing that worlds now spawn with the desert and jungle on one side, and the snow biome and dungeon on the other?

That would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I've taken the time exploring the 1.3 world to do some building.

A boreal wood cabin built into the side of a mountain. Maybe I'll try to build that mountain up higher, and build an ice castle into it. I'll also see what new building materials I can incorporate into it.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Dareon posted:

Also, does anyone know where Terraria puts the snapshots it takes? I took one of my base (At least, I put a frame around it and clicked the button) and none of the logical places have it.

I had this same problem at first when testing out the camera mode.

I found the screenshots in the Documents/My Games/Terraria section on the desktop. Though that's something they could use: an option on the menu to determine where you want the game to save your screenshots. Unless there is one and I missed it somewhere.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Oh, are we posting bases now? Here's what I have so far:

The mountain up top isn't filled in yet, and I plan to extend the fortress higher up, but this is the beginning of an ice fortress.

Anyone else got bases to share(whether finished or in progress)?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Silus posted:

I often have mid to early housing made out of Ebonstone bricks as I get tons of the stuff from blowing up corruption with bombs. Crimson is less handy that way.
Current housing is mixed marble and sunplate blocks, with some granite underneath.

I think you can make Crimstone bricks now, but I'm not certain. I'd have to double-check on that.

As an aside, apparently the sandstone blocks in the underground desert can't be used to make sandstone bricks. That's... kind of weird. Now that they added sandstone, you'd think that you could use them to make bricks in place of sand.

Hopefully future updates flesh out the underground desert more. It seems like the one thing of interest there is the fossils.

UPDATE: I guess there aren't any crimstone bricks. I could have sworn I saw them in the changelog... :(

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 5, 2015

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

The new NPC mechanics are part of why I decided to put stairs in my base this time:

If you look closely, you can see the NPCs clustered together and mingling.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Mortvert posted:

I think that it's mostly because early in the game it's :effort: to set up actual base with rooms and stuff - easier to stuff them into tiny hugboxes so they don't get violently murdered by wandering slimes and/or zombies.

It helps that you don't have to babysit the NPCs as much now that they can actually fight back - they can deal with aforementioned wandering slimes and zombies by themselves now.

I'm guessing, though, that actual bosses will still be too much for them, so you should build your boss arena some distance away.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Speaking of arenas, I figured I should make one of my own. I had plenty of granite just from all the granite biome enemies dropping it, but I had to make a different world to dig up enough marble:

Once I get access to living fire blocks, I'll put really big flames on the top of the pillars, and the lava pit in the middle still needs to be filled in. Any other advice for building arenas? Eventually, I intend to put in a few heart lanterns/star bottles for regen.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Excelzior posted:

screw lava, put actuated living ultrabright fire blocks on a timer there

REMEMBER ME *flames*

I don't think you can make vertical flamethrower traps in this update, right? Because that would have the right effect, right there.

I'd have to check once I get to the temple. I hear you can change the direction of traps with the hammer, at least.

Section Z posted:

Man, I got 172 Meteor ore leftover after making the Space Gun, full meteor armor, Meteror Hamaxe, and a blue Phase Saber. Sabre is a bit of a letdown, as my my Hamaxe has +1 damage over it due to multi mods so it's auto swing nature makes up for the speed difference. At least I know you can turn the sabre into a stronger hard mode version though.

I get the impression either I lucked out on my Meteor mass (aside from having to carefully avoid flooding myself with the ocean while digging out half of it), or have they gradually ramped up how much Meteor rock results in general per impact?

I guess the surplus meteorite is so you can use it to make meteor bricks.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

I'd say give them living fire for eyes and have their mouths spew forth lavafalls, but you'd need to get to the underworld first.

Meteorite bricks might make a good substitute until then.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Well, I decided to expand my ice fortress once again in order to prepare for hardmode and the new batch of NPCs that will show up:

On an unrelated note, are Mage/Summoner hybrid characters viable? Some of those later-game summons sound pretty cool. Would it be better to wear mage armor with a few summoner accessories, or summoner armor with magic-boosting accessories?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Here's a more finished version of my boss arena (now in night mode to show off the lighting effects):

Wraiths don't give a gently caress about the Pit Of Fire. :orks101:

Just need to hook up a couple heart/star statues and I'm all set. Where's the optimal placement on those? Should they be clustered toward the middle, or spread out more?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

kvx687 posted:

Wire a timer up to the statue, you can make them by combining a stopwatch with some wire. Just use a five-second timer, there's a ten second delay before a single statue can produce hearts again. That said, you can wire up to six timers to a statue at a time, and if they're synchronized the statue will dump out a heart for each timer if it's set up correctly.

I tried a variant of this trick which was to attach multiple wires from the same timer to the statue so it pumped out multiple hearts, but it looks like that got patched recently. I could only get one heart/star out of the statue no matter how I hooked the wires up.

Haven't tried it with multiple timers yet. Maybe that still works.

EDIT: And nope. Looks like each heart/star only spits out one per use. Attaching one timer to two statues powered them both, though.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 18, 2015

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah, I was going for a Conan/Temple of Doom vibe for my arena, for those of you wondering. The statue was meant to be holding up two torches next to the pillars rather than being chained to them. I've tweaked the design of the goddess statue a bit(partly so that the heart lanterns would cover more of the arena).

Now she's flipping off the world with two middle fingers of blue fire. :black101:

You can also see where I've added the heart and star statues. Maybe I'll search for more later, but I should deal with one of those mechanical bosses so that I can get a Clentaminator and start trying to get the crimson back under control.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Those meteors have some really good aim. :wth:

It went right down the tunnel I was using to remove crimson from this stretch of the desert(it's a bit too close to the jungle).

But on a positive note, I did luck out and get a frozen key and crimson key while setting out to contain the crimson. Along with the jungle key I found earlier, those should come in handy once I go back to the dungeon to raid those chests.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually managed to finish building something for once.

Housing hotel for all my NPCs where I gave them themed rooms as compensation for being shoved into boxes. They can freely visit every floor though since I figured out a stair layout that actually works. Of course as soon as I put in those balconies I discovered that they sometimes hurl themselves over the side for kicks but I'm too tired to fix that. This took forever to complete because I'm indecisive and slow.

I guess now I should finally get around to killing plantera.

I'm thinking of borrowing that stair design for my own base. Still trying to figure out how to get everyone to freely go up and down the stairs, though.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

After beating Plantera and taking some of the pressure off of crimson spread, I've spent some time revamping my fortress:

The stair design in the central shaft is based off another build I saw here, with a waterfall added to the middle for effect. I also added a bigger laboratory made out of meteorite brick(ideal for the mechanic, goblin, and cyborg), and a Flying Dutchman replica on a dock to the right(seemed like appropriate housing for the pirate and steampunker). The Truffle's house is not shown here, but it's down below in the hellevator, in the middle of a mushroom farm.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Lorini posted:

Hey guys I'm unsure of where to go from here. I'm in Hardmode, I have a Godly KO Cannon, a Demonic Clockwork Assault Rifle, a mix of Molten and Orichalum armor, Obsidian Shield, and some movement accessories. Should I start fishing for stuff? I was going to try to get the Dao Pao weapon, but there's no Hallowed Desert in my world.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

You could get some hallow seeds (I think the dryad sells them in hardmode) and plant them next to a desert to create a Hallowed Desert.

Fishing could be good, but it might be a good idea to look for Adamantite/Titanium ore before going after the hardmode bosses.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Found this while browsing the Terraria subreddit. This appears to be a preview for the next Terraria update showing off a new... feature.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...551324160_n.mp4

So that's a thing, I guess.

NPCs can use the toilets now! Yay?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Terraria was the favorite and most talked-about showing of a game at the whole AGDQ 2020 event (and not because the speedrun went well!)

Caught the end of that one. Good example of the runner managing to keep upbeat and positive despite everything that could go wrong going wrong, and the run going up in flames around him.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Augus posted:

this time, for sure, will be the last terraria update

Both 1.3 and 1.4 were supposed to be the last update... they've had several "last updates" so far.

That's why I can't quite believe them when they say that this is the last update... for real this time. Until they get ideas/whatever new game they're developing falls through.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

If Terraria 2 happens, I'd imagine it would add things they couldn't add to the first game due to engine limitations. They might have called 1.4 the "last" update since they were running up against the limit of what they could do with the original engine.

I could see things happening like dedicated blocking and dodging mechanics(which would make true melee a viable playstyle), grappling hook physics, and more robust summoning design (for example, summons that focus on giving the player buffs instead of attacking). Perhaps even moving parts like elevators.

Every NPC could have a questline associated with them, which give rewards for completion.

When people mentioned "multiple planes", the idea came to mind of there being two overlapping "dimensions" to the world, where interiors are built on the "back" plane and front-facing doors can be built to let you access them.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Sometimes NPCs don't register as being close enough even if the houses look like they are, because NPC distance is determined by the NPC icon in each room. If the rooms are big enough, they might be considered too far apart because the icons are on opposite sides of the rooms.

This can be fixed by temporarily making the rooms smaller - build a wall (and door, if needed) to cut the room in half, and put the NPC in the room closest to their favorite NPC. If you then remove the temporary wall, the NPC icon should stay there.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

I've built a sky base before, and usually having enough NPCs there keeps enemies like wyverns from spawning.

However, if a blood moon or another event like that happens, you could end up with wyverns spawning in your base in hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

With all the things they're adding to this update, I wondered when it would just end up turning into 1.5.