Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Miijhal posted:

Reminiscing about my old buildings in terraria from what back when.

My old Murder Manor, complete with a dungeon filled with traps.

Even older, back before hard mode, I made a bunch of giant statues with temples built around them...

Unfortunately the back walls are a little screwed up now, so I can't take new/better screenshots of them right now...

No swimming pools filled with gold coins, 9/10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Theta Zero posted:

I did mine the ghetto way before you kids and your new-fangled screenshot tool. Taking multiple screenshots and hacking them together with duct tape and paperclips.

I think I still have my map files, I should go back and use the screenshot tool to take snapshots of some of my big worlds.

Look at you with your fancy glass walls. Back before 1.1 we had to live in houses with literal holes in the wall instead.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

New patch, new character, new map, new house:

... and I haven't even killed any bosses except EoC, haven't raided my old worlds for stuff, or cheated myself anything. Expert mode EoC was harder than I remember.

The waterfall room was randomly generated and I thought it was super pretty, which is why I built here. I just needed to wait for the dryad to show up and sell me grass walls and flower grass walls so that I could replace the natural ones.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

way to go steve posted:

So I put about a hundred hours into this back in 1.1 and had a pretty good time. I've been thinking about starting up again now that my Stardew playthrough has tapered off, but I have some concerns.

What's up with fishing? I haven't tried it or anything, but the op has a whole bit about setting up auto hotkey to run while you're afk, and that raises some red flags for me. If it's just mindless tedium, would I be missing much by ignoring it completely? I never felt like terraria was lacking in ways to kill time.

You don't need to fish. There's some fun stuff you can only get by fishing quests, and you can also use fishing to sequence break, but none of it is required.

quote:

Also, how much content is gated behind this expert mode? I tried it a little and poo poo had an overly obnoxious amount of health. Having to hit basic enemies 20 times isn't fun at all to me. I guess I'd have to make multiple worlds in order to check out new stuff for both crimson and corruption anyway. I could split my playing between modes, but I guess I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

If the new content is blocked behind stuff you're better off automating and tedious hp sponges I'd rather just keep my good memories of the game and find something else to do. Does it get better, or do the updates just cater to the hardcore crowd?

Basically no content. The bosses have some new moves and attack patterns and you get another accessory slot, and also drop special expert only weapons and accessories. I can't think of anything else. It's mostly just for people who think the normal game is too easy and want it to be harder.

e: Dr. Fetus also mentioned this but I think it bears repeating: 1.2 and 1.3 added a TON of content to the game that isn't fishing or expert mode related. If you haven't played since 1.1 I think you'll have a ton of fun playing again.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 30, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I got sick of doing fishing quests around ~90, so I followed this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485530973&searchtext=fishing and quickly exploited my way to the 200 fishing quest achievement.

e: note you shouldn't do all the upfront setup that thing suggests, just move the quest fish into your piggy bank / safe as you catch them so you can catch another.

At about nightfall, go back to the world spawn where you have a house with the angler. Move the fish into a chest anyone can access, then make a bunch of characters (important, they can't share the same name) and have each one turn in a quest fish until you run out or it's another day.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 13, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The only thing I haven't beat solo in Terraria yet is the moon lord in expert mode, but that's absolutely doable.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Theta Zero posted:

Is there a page listing patch notes for these changes yet, or is it a special surprise?

I haven't seen anything official, but the wiki has some stuff collected from tweets. It's not much.
-Sort items button for chests
-Trees grow on screen (there's a leafy explosion and the tree pops into existence)
"Lots of birthday party themed decorations."
Assorted stuff like a new outfit and bunnies that wear party hats.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Vib Rib posted:

It's really amazing how much better minecarts are in this game than in Minecraft.

Minecarts in this game are pretty rad, but what's wrong with Minecraft minecarts?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I forget, did I ever post this gif of the game trolling me with a heart crystal?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

New teaser for 1.3.6:
https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1130601388134866945

e: I once knew how to embed tweets in here, but it's either changed or I forgot.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Zereth posted:

You just post the link and then stuff does it for you. There's a bunch of browser stuff that can break it though, privacy extensions or firefox's built in tracking protection stop it for some reason.

Ahh, I recently turned on firefox's built in tracking protection, so that was why. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Zereth posted:

Okay who likes the Sea biome and has a shop because I can't buy a pylon from the Angler.

I bought a Sea pylon from the merchant after moving the nurse in as well, along with the angler.