Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does Expert world just amp up the damage everything does to you to a ridiculous degree, and in return give you way more money?
Because that's what it feels like.

Agreed. I have 105 defense wit the beetle shell armor that reduces incomeing damage and I still routinely get hit for 50-75 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

FraudulentEconomics posted:

This game is delightfully difficult if you do a fresh expert character. Really makes you think carefully about your actions and it DOES give me that "gently caress GOD DAMNIT I CAN DO THIS" that dark souls always gave me. 11/10 would smash face into enemies endlessly again.

At least until the endgame hits and the flying saucer enemies are hitting you for 300 damage a pop. Then it's just frustrating.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Zemyla posted:

Thorns can grow from bare rock and spread corruption. Line your trenches.

Also, my NPCs are making angry emoticons at me. What can I do to make them happy? Do they need better homes? Because I'm really early and can't make better homes yet.

Forgot aobut that, but thorns can only grow out to four tiles away from terrain. At most you'd just have to make a 5 tile trench instead.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Xenaero posted:

This is taking me forever. I still have to build the Armory/Storage area on the left side and then in the middle the main zone, then the BATTLE PLATFORM above everything else.
Any suggestions for theme for the upcoming Armory? Gold bricks maybe, I have enough.

How are your herbs growing? I thought walls, even glass ones, blocked plant growth.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Found a spider cave, and my lifeform analyzer says that a Webbed Stylist is nearby. Only I can never find her no matter how much I move around. Is there some trick to finding her? Not clear to me if she's a drop or attached to a wall or what.

If only the thing would give a direction as well as distance...

She can be killed by the spiders if you don't get to her quickly.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap Solar Eclipse on expert is kicking my rear end

What do I even do to not die 50 times to Super Moth

Buffs. Ironskin potions, endurance potions, regeneration potions, lifeforce potions, just drink all the potions. The expert mode lunar event went from completely impossible to very hard when I used a full load of those.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I've got a pretty good gold farming setup using my Xeno Staff minions, blue candles, and a custom-made dungeon hallway. Reforging costs a ton so I've been trying to find ways to collect quick gold. My little UFOs (I'm using Stardust Armor, so I've got several) kill Paladins before they get anywhere close to me. Between the drops, the Ectoplasm, and the coins, it seems pretty effective. What do you guys do to get rich?

Don't worry, I'm sure this will be fixed in a future patch.

Build an ocean grinder, then use a slime staff and lucky coin together. Makes shitloads of money really fast.

The only problem is that sometimes the slimes will drop to far from the grinder and be unable to get back up, so you can' always leave it running while AFK. This only started happening to me recently, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

You know what we need? The ability to dye weapons and items.

I think they looked into this for 1.3 but couldn't make it work.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Marble's fine (To be specific, the corruption/hallow V changes stone, sand, ice, and grass, and plants, as well as equivalent walls), but if you're underground or cavern you've essentially created a Marble biome, which means Medusa.

Isn't this irrelevant as long as the walls are all player placed?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

It's funny, I started a new world with the new patch, and got the Slime Staff within a couple in-game days of just mucking around and it was pretty amazing. Toss the little guy outside during a blood moon and rack up the cash in the morning.

Doing this with a coin ring equipped is probably the best money maker in the game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I seem to remember nymphs being more common in ice caves for some reason.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Ambaire posted:

If aliens invaded, would you be out there on the 'field of honor' with your copper shortsword and sneering at anyone who had the slightest bit of tactics and strategy?

Settle down Beavis, nobody is suggesting this and you know it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Copycat Zero posted:

Fishing in lava for crates gives you both Underworld/lava-specific loot drops like the charm and a coffer that gives you the drops from shadow chests, and you don't have to be specifically in the Underworld for the crates to spawn -- just with enough lava anywhere.

Admittedly, you do need to grab enough Underworld critters to be able to fish in lava until you get the Heat-Proof Lure (or whatever it's called), though, and they can be a bit annoying to farm for if you're not in Journey mode.

I think lava fishing is bugged, even with high fishing power I wasn't getting bites more than every 90 seconds or so.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I got frustrated after spending an hour and a half farming chests for a Lava charm, then decided to fish up a crate and got it on my first try. Still annoying, though; the Terraria devs seem to pick the weirdest hills to die on sometimes (the torch clusterfuck, the lava charm chest nerf, Absolute Virtue-syndroming the poo poo out of the Moon Lord after it first came out, etc).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Can NPCs live in the space layer? Will they keep Wyverns and probes out?

I'm pretty sure wyverns can't spawn while the player is standing in front of a player-made wall.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

I've been playing the dontdigup seed, where you start in the underworld, and for some reason it doesn't have the purification powders or the Clentaminator available, and it's kinda baffling

I guess it doesn't want people to avoid the buffed evil biome enemies by purifying a little safe zone for themselves. But the entire surface is corrupt/crimson in that seed, except for the Jungle, so it's not like avoiding the corruption is reasonable until pretty late

Oh poo poo really? I'm playing that seed too and I was really looking forward to digging up and purifying the surface world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Eikre posted:

The surface is the most open part of the game, and this seed appropriates that quality to create a space where you're incentivized to stay on the move the entire time you're there. If your destination is the dungeon or sky islands, then there's a shelter there for you to collect yourself before proceeding. If your destination is a meteor, then you're already on your way to a biome predicated on managing an endless stream of flying enemies. I certainly don't blame you for not finding it your cup of tea, but it's clearly a considerate change that brings numerous game elements together into a consistent whole.

I get what you're saying but burned out on it precisely because it messes with the progression in a very chaotic way. I dug all the way to the surface in silver armor and spent like 45 minutes trying to farm floating eyes because I couldn't figure out how to spawn the Eye of Cthulhu and needed to use the item. Then I had to do the same thing with Eater of Worlds (including looking up where the corruption even is), and at that point I was able to mine hellstone and basically skip the entire pre-hardmode progression.