Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

I AM THE MOON posted:

minecraft gave them autism

And Autism gave the gift of the world through the hydra dragon of lung-fu table fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I wasn't worried about the Corruption, I was just trying to kill it quickly so I could open my Corruption chest. I killed like, 8 mechanical bosses and only found two bulbs in an hour, that's why I was irritated.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Summoning minions is my favorite way to play in this game, and pretty much any game really. The spider staf2f with 6 spiders out just outright disassembles monsters.

PS, my spirit animal is The Monarch.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So if you fill a body of water with dirt or any block really does it just erase the water that was there? If it doesn't does the water just exist in that block forever? I noticed every time I load up the world it says its settling liquids, would that pull the water above the blocks I filled it with? I don't know why I'm so curious about the mechanics here but I am. If someone knows please tell me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So if you fill a body of water with dirt or any block really does it just erase the water that was there? If it doesn't does the water just exist in that block forever? I noticed every time I load up the world it says its settling liquids, would that pull the water above the blocks I filled it with? I don't know why I'm so curious about the mechanics here but I am. If someone knows please tell me.

It's easy enough to test this. In fact, I just did, and the answer is: the water continues to exist in that block until you exit and re-enter the world, at which point the water behind the block disappears.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Found a spider cave, and my lifeform analyzer says that a Webbed Stylist is nearby. Only I can never find her no matter how much I move around. Is there some trick to finding her? Not clear to me if she's a drop or attached to a wall or what.

If only the thing would give a direction as well as distance...

She can be killed by the spiders if you don't get to her quickly.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I hate the Plantera spawn mechanic but only because finding bulbs is a pain in the rear end.

I made an arena to fight it in, died, and then tunnelled down and found another bulb. I smashed it and fled up to my arena, only to have plantera just give up and vanish halfway. I didn't leave the biome or anything, maybe I just got too far from it? Now I can't find any bulbs near my arena. gently caress bulbs.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Jabarto posted:

Much like the tortured soul jumping into lava all the time :smith:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Holy crap Solar Eclipse on expert is kicking my rear end

What do I even do to not die 50 times to Super Moth

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Lava on one side, NPC blood party on the right. Whatever gets past the traps and lava, the NPCs tear apart. The habitable zones form a funnel that sends all the enemies into the pit filled with just enough water so things can't jump.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap Solar Eclipse on expert is kicking my rear end

What do I even do to not die 50 times to Super Moth

Buffs. Ironskin potions, endurance potions, regeneration potions, lifeforce potions, just drink all the potions. The expert mode lunar event went from completely impossible to very hard when I used a full load of those.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Does she ever reappear? I saw her when I first got into hardmode while going past an already-explored spider cave but I got the gently caress out of dodge because those black recluses kick some rear end and I'm pretty sure she got ripped.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's easy enough to test this. In fact, I just did, and the answer is: the water continues to exist in that block until you exit and re-enter the world, at which point the water behind the block disappears.

Yeah, as soon as I posted I thought about it a little longer and came to the same conclusion about testing it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jabarto posted:

Buffs. Ironskin potions, endurance potions, regeneration potions, lifeforce potions, just drink all the potions. The expert mode lunar event went from completely impossible to very hard when I used a full load of those.

This is true for basically everything. Even just ironskin, regen, and the food (you have no excuse, buy it whenever the travelling trader shows up) will significantly increase your lifespan.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

President Ark posted:

This is true for basically everything. Even just ironskin, regen, and the food (you have no excuse, buy it whenever the travelling trader shows up) will significantly increase your lifespan.

Or even cooked fish. You'll get a million otherwise-useless fish from even just occasionally doing the Angler quest and the buff from cooked fish lasts 20 minutes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jabarto posted:

I eventually found her tucked into a corner I had missed. Now I can have ridiculous hair, assuming I never wear a helmet again!

My old 1.0 habits have given me the urge to build elaborate farms for plants, but I can't remember if back walls are mandatory or not, or how I ever built underground mushroom lairs. I gather there's a dude who will come live with you now if you make one?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

Or even cooked fish. You'll get a million otherwise-useless fish from even just occasionally doing the Angler quest and the buff from cooked fish lasts 20 minutes.

This is actually required to make regen buffs work in expert mode.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cicadalek posted:

I hate the Plantera spawn mechanic but only because finding bulbs is a pain in the rear end.

I made an arena to fight it in, died, and then tunnelled down and found another bulb. I smashed it and fled up to my arena, only to have plantera just give up and vanish halfway. I didn't leave the biome or anything, maybe I just got too far from it? Now I can't find any bulbs near my arena. gently caress bulbs.

I'm trying to find one right now so I can make a dungeon go hardmode. And holy poo poo I've pretty much covered every inch of this jungle and haven't found one. There's probably like one tiny patch of jungle in the middle of god knows where it spawned. I really wish they lit up on the map or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jet Jaguar posted:

I eventually found her tucked into a corner I had missed. Now I can have ridiculous hair, assuming I never wear a helmet again!

My old 1.0 habits have given me the urge to build elaborate farms for plants, but I can't remember if back walls are mandatory or not, or how I ever built underground mushroom lairs. I gather there's a dude who will come live with you now if you make one?

The clothier sells a cosmetic item that lets you have your hair dangling out while still wearing a helmet. It's handy if you wear one of the UI-related hair dyes - the ones that change color depending on your mana/health.

You can farm most thing except mushrooms using clay pots now which you'll want to have a backwall around. For regular mushrooms, they'll just grow wherever; for glowing mushrooms, find one of the natural biomes underground and chop them up until you get mushroom grass seeds which you can use to replant it. There is an NPC who only lives in mushroom biomes but he won't show up at all unless you've killed the wall of flesh and there are some annoying enemies that spawn in mushroom biomes so hold off on that for now.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
fun fact: The familiar wig does not change your hair to whatever color dye you set it to.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

President Ark posted:

The clothier sells a cosmetic item that lets you have your hair dangling out while still wearing a helmet. It's handy if you wear one of the UI-related hair dyes - the ones that change color depending on your mana/health.

Who the heck would waste money on that when you could have

:cheers:

Kickass shades?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Should I race for the angler if I am going to just grind fishing for a while anyway? Are any of his quests tough depending on the fish?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just learned that there's a Living Rich Mahogany Wood wand and matching leaf wand.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Should I race for the angler if I am going to just grind fishing for a while anyway? Are any of his quests tough depending on the fish?

You can get fishing quests for fish in biomes you can't access yet (for instance, fish in sky biomes before you have any gravitation potions). I wouldn't characterize any of the fishing quests as "tough," though, and even if you do get one in a biome you arent comfortable handling, you can just wait until the following in-game day for a new quest.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to find one right now so I can make a dungeon go hardmode. And holy poo poo I've pretty much covered every inch of this jungle and haven't found one. There's probably like one tiny patch of jungle in the middle of god knows where it spawned. I really wish they lit up on the map or something.

I saw a video on reddit about how to find the bulbs pretty easily with camera mode, which helped a bit.

Basically, press F1 to go into camera mode and then put the snapshot box around your jungle on the map. Then take a snapshot and view it from your documents folder. The bulbs show up pretty easily due to the glow. You do need to have explored the jungle a bit for this to work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Does she ever reappear? I saw her when I first got into hardmode while going past an already-explored spider cave but I got the gently caress out of dodge because those black recluses kick some rear end and I'm pretty sure she got ripped.

Yeah, she does respawn. Eventually. If you really want her around you'll have to go back and explore all your spider caves.

You can rush in and talk to her/untie her and then rush right back out if you want; if she gets ganked by the spiders a new Stylist will soon spawn in an open house. (I learned this via watching the newly-freed Mechanic get horribly butchered.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, she does respawn. Eventually. If you really want her around you'll have to go back and explore all your spider caves.

You can rush in and talk to her/untie her and then rush right back out if you want; if she gets ganked by the spiders a new Stylist will soon spawn in an open house. (I learned this via watching the newly-freed Mechanic get horribly butchered.)

This applies to all of the NPCs that start off tied up/cursed. If you save them and they die, oh well, just make an extra room/house for them to live in and they'll show up.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pakled posted:

You can get fishing quests for fish in biomes you can't access yet (for instance, fish in sky biomes before you have any gravitation potions). I wouldn't characterize any of the fishing quests as "tough," though, and even if you do get one in a biome you arent comfortable handling, you can just wait until the following in-game day for a new quest.

Wood platforms or a ladder of dirt blocks can get you to the sky islands very quickly. And digging up through the bottom of the islands lets you avoid harpies to loot chests or build a protective bubble next to a lake.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

My "advice" ended up backfiring on me because instead of killing the nymph my brother let it run into a bit and despawn. This the second time I've run into a nymph and had it despawn for I could do anything, though I suppose I only have myself to blame.

People weren't kidding about how good fishing is. Just fish with enchanted nightcrawlers and you can easily get the rockfish and reaver shark, both of which are wayyyyy better than the picks and hammers I'd normally be using at this point in the game.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

My "advice" ended up backfiring on me because instead of killing the nymph my brother let it run into a bit and despawn. This the second time I've run into a nymph and had it despawn for I could do anything, though I suppose I only have myself to blame.

People weren't kidding about how good fishing is. Just fish with enchanted nightcrawlers and you can easily get the rockfish and reaver shark, both of which are wayyyyy better than the picks and hammers I'd normally be using at this point in the game.

The Reaver Shark is the strongest pre-hardmode pick you can get and yeah the Rockfish carried me through most of pre-Hardmode until I found my Deadly Falcon Blade fishing, and that thing was a straight up beast.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

I watched my NPCs in my three-level base with nine-high ceilings/stairs for a while and I don't think so. They start climbing the stairs but they always fall off halfway up.
Because there's a platform they bump their head on. Try it yourself. Hold up and the direction of the stairs, if there's a platform you'll fall off.

President Ark posted:

You can farm most thing except mushrooms using clay pots now which you'll want to have a backwall around. For regular mushrooms, they'll just grow wherever; for glowing mushrooms, find one of the natural biomes underground and chop them up until you get mushroom grass seeds which you can use to replant it. There is an NPC who only lives in mushroom biomes but he won't show up at all unless you've killed the wall of flesh and there are some annoying enemies that spawn in mushroom biomes so hold off on that for now.
Also if you put the dryad in a mushroom biome she'll sell glowing mushroom seeds. Not that you need them at that point but the option is there.

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 8, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

LightningSquid posted:

It's a little bit of a mess, but here you are!

Thank you for providing the wiring plans. One thing, the dart traps on the platform bridge, if they fire all at once, don't they only count once for firing, or did they change it? In the past, I have had to make them fire in sequential order otherwise they'd only hit once, instead of the six times like in your diagram.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LegoMan posted:

Because there's a platform they bump their head on. Try it yourself. Hold up and the direction of the stairs, if there's a platform you'll fall off.

Son a bitch, this is true. Well partly at least, I tried moving the way you described and went up the stairs just fine. However I tried removing the platforms I had set up as floors anyways and the merchant kindly demonstrated how wrong I was by waltzing up two sets of stairs to the top floor. So I guess the most common sense way of setting up a multi level staircase doesn't work for NPCs because of this nonsense. I can't think of a good alternative though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 8, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LegoMan posted:

Yes, this is so. If I hold only the direction of the stairs and not up, however, I do not fall off.

The changelog makes this all confusing; I don't know whether this is a conscious design decision or if for some reason programming NPCs to navigate stairs-with-platforms the way players can is hard.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Son a bitch, this is true. Well partly at least, I tried moving the way you described and went up the stairs just fine. However I tried removing the platforms I had set up as floors anyways and the merchant kindly demonstrated how wrong I was by waltzing up two sets of stairs to the top floor. So I guess the most common sense way of setting up a multi level staircase doesn't work for NPCs because of this nonsense. I can't think of a good alternative though.
I couldn't either so I set them up in little platforms on the sides I can slide up and down elevators for. I think I'll make a loooong house next and let them all freely mingle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azzents posted:

Slime mount is the most OP boss killer. Nerf this poo poo.

How is this more OP than the bee that can fly around?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Because the bee can't goomba stomp a boss to death in seconds if you get between the boss and a ceiling, probably.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think this layout actually works;

NPCs can cross to both sides on the stairs. Sometimes they fall through the stairs but if they decide to hop instead, which they consistently did, then they can go across levels.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

My 1.3 fort shared with a buddy of mine.

Lesson learned: Build a storage depot quickly, otherwise it'll gently caress up inventory management later if you decide to move it. And build apartments one tile taller so you can fit more things on the table. The plan for the roof area is a park.

The witch doctor's hut, with the doc himself over on the right front lawn. I need to mimic the dynasty roof tile design earlier in the thread; those looked snazzy what with the gemstone blocks!

The ocean fishing and hunting hut. Not shown are water candle buoys off to the left. No piggy bank in there as I both forgot to bring one, and I managed to snag the money trough from a blood moon so a needless convenience.

Sky lake fishing and greenhouse with non-OSHA compliant staircase!

Surface ice fishing 'hut'.

In case anyone is interested, these last two are wiring plans for the duplication vats and liquid block grinders. Made out of local dungeon bricks because of accidents happy mistakes with dynamite in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So the wiki says the hammer is a 100% drop from the paladin in expert mode and I'd just like to mention that it's not. I've only had one drop out of 20 or so paladin deaths.

EDIT: Skeleton snipers drop banners, so I assume everything else in the dungeon does too. So you know completionist OCD.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 8, 2015