Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After a third major update that most developers would call DLC and charge for, I can only conclude that Redigit hates money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Expert mode is making me actually care about alchemy so I made this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I'm in an Expert game, and I've just killed the Eater of Worlds. Should my next step of progresssion be a) hunting meteorite b) preparing to fight Skeletron c) hunting down a queen bee in the jungle?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pon alien posted:

Dig up the subterranean desert for fossil armor.

The fossils aren't materials. Does the armour drop from digging it out or something?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can get early game access by making staves. Each gem has a corresponding metal that makes a staff with it. If memory serves, the combinations are:

Copper + Amethyst
Tin + Topaz
Silver + Sapphire
Electrum + Emerald
Gold + Ruby
Platinum + Diamond

Top to bottom = weakest to strongest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Expert Skeletron is a bitch. Phase 1 isn't too bad, I can space gun the hands down without too much trouble. It's phase 2 when he charges and locks into your position and sits on you until you die that's horrible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Living Wood Loom lets you make living wood backwalls.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Accidentally breaking the Larvae open while you're in the process of mining out the hive so you can turn it into an arena is an interesting experience. :stare:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I've got to the stage where I begin preparing for the Wall. Do I want my general "out of mana" weapon to be Molten Fury, Hellwing Bow or the Phoenix Blaster? My ammo options are Meteorite Shot and Hellfire Arrows.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

350 Angry Bones and 100 Dark Casters down, no Tally Counter. :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fishing the surface jungle in hardmode is the worst experience in the world. Derplings are awful.

Then the game gave me the Seedler and I forgave it everything. Sweet christ this is a good sword.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, what new mechanics do the mech bosses have on Expert? I didn't actually notice any.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, my world somehow died.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nope, I hadn't cloud-updated it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A problem has become an opportunity.

To rebuild!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thyrork posted:

I had a world load error that cleared itself up after restarting terraria. :ohdear:

I've already tried restarting Terraria and my computer.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The pot tree was mine but unfortunately it's gone because that was the world that got corrupted. :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It has a considerably shorter range than glowsticks though. You can also hold a glowstick without throwing it for the increased range withotu consuming it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Progress update!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I prefer Corruption because it has a more interesting and fun boss fight and its music is one of the game's best tracks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think I am ready to activate hardmode and start actually progressing again. Yes, all that time since my world corruption was spent building a sweet-rear end base.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there a specific criterion for voodoo demons spawning? I've killed all the basic three bosses and I've explored the length of Hell about five times without seeing one. Last world, I saw them reasonably frequently.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The post you quoted said that I've killed all three of the basic bosses. Speak of the devil though, one spawned.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Read posted:

Amarok probably, you'll have dozens of them if you spend enough time in the ice biome.

They're also worth about 5 gold each so that's still useful even when you obsolete the weapon.

Anyways, just had my first Solar Eclipse. That sure was an experience. Got a Moonstone and a Broken Terra blade out of it too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leper Residue posted:

On my first solar eclipse I got a broken hero's blade and nothing else. On my second I got two broken hero's blade, death sickle, chainsaw, nail gun, moon stone, mothron wings and an eye of chtulu. It was ridiculous (and awesome).

edit: Oh wait, forgot about the silly amount of neptune shells that dropped each time I had to junk cause I was running out of space in my inventory.

Oh right, I also got a death scythe. That thing is really nice, I'm occasionally using it over my Seedler when the situation calls for it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The scythes are also affected by flask buffs which is Cool and Good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of THings That Suck, I've discovered that I think I lost my Moonstone. :saddowns:

Well, I need another eclipse anyway to get a second hero blade.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Make shortswords able to poke in any direction. Bam, they now have a reason to exist. Faster stabs than a broadsword swing, but a swing has more damage per hit, a wider arc and better range. If you want to avoid players having a viable weapon from the start, give them a "poking stick" which functions exactly as the current copper shortsword.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Similar to a spear, but you'd be losing the range and the fact that a spear can hit multiple times per stab for the fact that a shortsword is able to be made earlier than the craftable spears.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've got a Terra Blade, should I be using a Yelets+Bag instead?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So should I use merman form when I get around to Fishron then?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Killed the Golem eight times on expert, received zero sunstones. :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finally, got myself a Celestial Shell. :toot: Took about a dozen Golem kills before one finally dropped, and he never gave me a hatchet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What's better, ravens or deadly spheres? I'm currently melee using one summon for the minor free damage, though considering using my new bounty of spooky wood to make a proper summoning set augmented with a yoyo/bag.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've managed to somehow lose my money trough. Is there any way to increase the likelihood of or induce a blood moon? Without any hacks/editing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Terra Blade + Moon Charm + Moonstone along with other general melee items and tortoise armour was enough for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ooh is it time for me to post my tree again

BIG image.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like the high damage beetle set for soloing with an eye of cthulhu + yoyo kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For normal twins, you can just use your wings and vault over terrain to fight them. For expert, you want a sky railway.