Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
After playing a lot with Expert mode, I'm going to make a new world in non-expert. I really like the overall difficulty of surviving in the world, but the bosses just do too much damage. It sucks that I gotta give up on it just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Are there any reason for using sonar potions? It seems like at best you get exactly as advertised, and at worst your line snaps and you know exactly what you lost. Does it help with fishing somehow?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Weird. I just found an enchanted blade pit that spawned right in the center of a big tree:

Speaking of big trees, does anybody know why this room is considered invalid?
I've made triple sure that there are no gaps in the walls, and I've manually ripped out and replaced all of the blocks that act as walls.
Does the living wood leaf wall not count as valid background or something?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

YF-23 posted:

Valid walls for housing must be player placed. Take down that leaf wall and put up your own and it will work.

The leaf wall is 100% player placed, unfortunately. I'm beginning to suspect that it's entirely because of a strange room that I've built at the base of the tree is interfering somehow. I'll try building the room on the west side of the trunk.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

dabre_aiamim posted:

According to the wiki, living leaf walls don't count as valid walls, no matter who makes them.

So that's the catch, huh? That's a drat shame. Thanks for the help!
I'm thinking of making a new map anyway since I'm currently established in a large world. I like the overworld's size and expansiveness of the large worlds but the underground is too sparse. The decision came after running out of good space on a small map back in 1.2.4. It's still pretty early anyway since I haven't even beaten the eye in this map yet.
For posterity, this is what my soon-to-be-abandoned village looks like. the buildings are inspired by the design of the baobab buildings that a goon posted earlier in the thread.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Internet Kraken posted:

What weapon should I put in the middle of this treasure room? It need to be sufficiently gaudy but I can't think of anything good.

The coin gun

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Waffleopolis posted:

I need help with Skeletron on expert. So far I have a full Molten armor set rocketing, Deadly Molten Fury, and Deadly Space Gun. I also make a minecart track that goes back and forth to help keep my distance (though I do run into him occasionally). The main problem I am having is the projectile skull she shoots out after one or both armors have been destroyed.Finally, I'm at 200 health and I use a series of buffs and set up campfire around the tracks to increase my life regen. The problem I have with him is the projectile skulls he spews out after one of both hands are destroyed. I can't dodge them or block them off like imp's fireballs, and I get hit enough to where my rate of regen and consumption of health potions are not enough. Any pointers on killing him?

You'll need:
- Lightning boots to run fast and rocket;
- A double-jump balloon with a horseshoe to negate fall damage;
- Good range options. Bee gun is great because it tracks the head, no matter where you aim. Keep a bow handy while your mana is recharging.
- Lots of potions. You can get slightly better healing 'potions' too by fishing in honey: The fish you find in there heal 120hp instead of 100.
- You'll need your arena to have two to three platform jump heights so that you can jump down a couple of floors. You'll mostly be using the top floor of your arena but you'll need to be able to drop under him during the armless phase.

What you want to do once the arms are destroyed is circle skeletron's head constantly. The shots don't track very well and the head is slowed down when it has to turn. Make the correct circle and the head will barely move until it starts spinning. Once that happens, just run in a straight line and pelt some shots behind you. If you're good at it, you can get thru the second half of the fight without even taking a hit.

Basically, it's the 2d equivalent of circle-strafing. Get your Doom skills back in check, son!

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2015

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

VodeAndreas posted:

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I skip the wings since I have a flying mount (pigron) and they aren't useful enough underground to justify them.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Akett posted:

Pigron are slower than flying. And they don't get the flight time and speed buffs that wings get from frostspark boots and frog legs.

Maybe so but the difference usually doesn't seem worth the slot. Not until the hoverboard anyway. That's just me, though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Expert wall of flesh is strange. I beat him easily enough with the hellwing bow but now that I'm far better equipped, I can't seem to kill him anymore. He's super easy until about 20% of his hp is left, where something happens (?) And I immediately get hit for like 200 hp twice in a row. I don't think he even reached me the two times that it happened, the game just decided that I should die.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Carsius posted:

I figured that since I got to hard mode a year or so ago, that I would be fine to just start fresh on expert and solo everything.

Not the best idea in the world, though I am slowly progressing. Now I've hit the brain of cthulhu and can't seem to get him down. Any suggestions?

If you've gotten a goblin invasion, you must have a large stack of those spiky balls. Make a small arena made of platforms and spend the majority of the fight just littering the platforms with spiky balls. The brain's small adds bounce back as soon as they hit one so the first part of the fight is absolutely trivial. The second half of the fight is a toss-up between refreshing the balls and pure DPS.

If you got the crimson rod as a drop from the crimson hearts, that weapon will be a big help.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I enjoy trying to make sense out of the conversations that the NPCs have based on the contents of their speech bubbles.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I've hit post-plantera on my expert-mode run, one that I've started from scratch ever since 1.3. I'm seeing a very familiar problem: Whenever I kill Plantera, new weapons just rain from the skies. You plunge into the dungeon with your new-fangled Plantera gear to go use those biome keys that you've been sitting on, and you come out of it with so many different weapons -- biome chests and everything else that just drops from enemies -- that it's hard to make a decision on what to use. Not that it matters though because you're very soon going to use them to kill the Golem (who has his own bunch of weapon drops), find some of those solar eclipse catalysts on your way there, and then a martian invasion kicks in as soon as you murder him, oh god, etc etc.

It seems like there's no other time in the game where you get flooded with so many weapon options, but they don't remain viable for very long. I've straight-upgraded my yoyo three times in the past hour or two, and I don't even use it because I've been upgrading my guns too! This nail gun is pretty cool and I want to try it out, but can I really justify having it in the bar (along with like 8 other weapons) when I'm probably immediately going to start making an arena for the pumpkin moon and then make it obsolete?

First world problems, I guess. Maybe the expert mode drop rate boost is spoiling me.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Apparition posted:

wait wait wait.. can you really get the reaver shark from the beginning of the game? Does it just take forever?

As soon as I beat the eye and made a fleshcatcher, I ran up to the ocean and it was the first thing that came out.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Gonna use the quack sound as my phone's text message sound.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I just hallow my HQ once hardmode kicks in. It's makes things look different and it's pretty much just as safe. Plus, wandering a little further nets you easy fairy dust and you need tons of those. Secondary worlds are for massive deforestation and nothing else.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Since someone asked about their crafting setup and crafting doesn't go without storage, I figured I'd share my storage and crafting system.
Everything you see here is the entirety of my storage: Anything that doesn't fit in here either gets sold or is put on display somewhere else. Most of these are either only 50% full, or they are about 90% full but there isn't really any more items in the game that fit the description and that I care to keep.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Oh, right; I posted my "mod" (in the loosest sense) in the LP thread but forgot the games thread.

I've been replaying the game during the holidays and decided to make an alternate music pack to switch things up for myself.
I figured I'd share it: http://personal.applegrenade.com/terraria/WaveBank.zip.

Just backup your old Wave Bank.xwb (rename it to wave bank.xwb.old or something) and put the new wavebank in its stead. You can find the file in Terraria's Content folder (\steamapps\common\terraria\Content). If you don't like it or get tired of it, you can just put the old one back. It's all pretty trivial.
Almost everything is replaced but the title song and the desert storm song (wasn't inspired).
I've put in some effort to make things loop well and generally made sure that the replacements are, at the very least, thematically good matches.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
My Terraria was crashing I finally understood why: Don't use a Life Drain on the twins while the frost set is applying frostburn on your arrows and green twin is using his flamethrower. Too many particles. I had to stop using life drain.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Post-plantera progression (dungeon / golem / eclipse) showers you with so many god drat great weapons that i can't focus on anything. Both my hotbar and accessory slots are far too tiny.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Dejawesp posted:

The only thing I don't like is that many of the end game bosses depend on building ridiculous boss arenas to get the most out of the content. I can't just beat the Christmas event in a night using my megashark and top quality armor/ammo. I need to build a mousetrap mob mincer that eats up all the trash mobs in seconds and then eviscerates the bosses as well for me.

Unless this has changed in the past year. I suspect it hasn't.

Sort of. There's content that goes past the moon events that give you tools to completely wreck them. Problem is that, by the time you can do that, the stuff that you get for doing the moons are worse than what you already have by that point. If you're looking to beat the moons with barely any preparation though, you can do that.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I feel like I'm getting away with something by sitting on music mod by myself, so I'm just going to share it again: http://personal.applegrenade.com/terraria/WaveBank.zip
(Just unzip the file and slap the resulting wavebank in your steamapps\common\terraria\Content folder).
I'm really happy with most of my decisions and I think you will too. It even makes the Old One's Army event interesting.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I really want to start a fresh run but my gut tells me to wait until the next patch. I hope it comes out soon.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
You're not going to get that. You will get, however, an accessory that makes non-autoswing weapons autoswing.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Expert mode is a much deadlier world, boss fights may last a significant chunk of the night, and you must be well prepared. On the other hand, finally killing a boss in expert mode is significant. It's an achievement. Some of them are absolute assholes.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

grieving for Gandalf posted:

no........ how could they

You could also fill the water with blocks and then quit/reload, I think that still works. Other than that, yeah, you'll have to pour that water elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Despite them being rather titillating, I would recommend against this course of action.