Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Theta Zero posted:

A good house, for a prick.

Personally I'm more intrigued by the bay window on the right and will be stealing that idea for my own houses.
Meanwhile, I've built my first living treehouse in my Expert Mode world.

It's a little more "baobab" than "redwood" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's also a mystic dropper sold by the Wizard that can be filled with water, lava, or honey (Via crafting with a pool by a crystal ball). I haven't played with it, so I don't know precisely, but it's possible that could either dupe fluids, or suck up mass quantities of fluids to be placed elsewhere.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Expert Mode is starting to become some bullshit even on my hardmode character (Frost Armor, Cutlass, Golden Shower and Megashark). I got randomly one-shot in a marble biome by (I think) a Medusa petrifying me in mid-jump so I shattered on landing. Which might happen even on normal mode. And Skeletron is going to take some doing.

Also, does anyone know where Terraria puts the snapshots it takes? I took one of my base (At least, I put a frame around it and clicked the button) and none of the logical places have it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xenaero posted:

Better drop rates I hope...

As far as I've seen from my (three Eyes, a Brain, and a Bee) experience, their loot bag will always drop their Expert Mode item along with their standard loot (And maybe more money? I don't remember getting multiple gold out of the Queen Bee before).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no these look really good. :ohdear: I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

Mostly when I build I'm inspired by the color or detail of the blocks themselves. Like, I picked up granite, looked at that nice black/purple color with blue highlights and thought "This would make a totally bitching flying skull with hanging chains and gemspark eyes!"

Then I built just that. Obviously there is sort of a jump from "black/blue stone" to "totally metal skull fortress", but try coming at it from another direction: What have you seen built in this color? How would you feel in a building of this material, and how could you pick decor to enhance that?

Hell, if all else fails, just make balls everywhere.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wyvernil posted:

I had this same problem at first when testing out the camera mode.

I found the screenshots in the Documents/My Games/Terraria section on the desktop. Though that's something they could use: an option on the menu to determine where you want the game to save your screenshots. Unless there is one and I missed it somewhere.

Thanks!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Endless Ballsack is great. I can just walk around with my Megashark hanging out of my pants and both see and kill everything.

Also, the Bone Glove that drops from Expert Skeletron is actually pretty cool owns bones, since throwing is now its own damage type which is boosted by certain armor sets like ninja gear and the new Fossil Armor (Dig up some fossil beds in underground deserts and run them through an Extractinator). I don't know how well throwing and its armor sets scales, but even without the armor I was handing dungeon enemies their faces with their own bones.

e:

Excelzior posted:

well, it took a good bit of digging out, but once I had a suitable arena Plantera went down in a single attempt. Now on to the Golem. Can't wait to see the damage he puts out in that tiny cramped space (since I don't have a Picksaw)

e: what the gently caress, he was a total pushover.....uh....ok? time to hit up the moon lord I guess :shrug:
Could you share a shot of your arena? Plantera is my biggest stumbling block in Hardmode, I've never gotten past it.

Also never beaten the Twins or Skeletron Prime, but I'm feeling good about my chances with this new stuff.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 3, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChibiSoma posted:

For all the quality of life improvements there've been, fishing is still dumb because you have to hunt down bait manually. The Dryad sells acorns so you don't have to wait to get them from trees. I'd fish more and actually do the Angler's quest if he at least sold Worms to use. I'd rather be doing anything than hunting Worms during a rainstorm.

That said, dude at least gave me the Fish Hook for doing my first quest. It might be the dumbest grappling hook in the game and I love it.

Bait is sort of something you snag while you're doing other things. I keep a bug net on my hotbar and just scoop up any little thing I see running around. Usually come back to base with three to five different bait critters from a serious exploring/spelunking session, then snag another few fireflies just around my base.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pakled posted:

It's meant to be played with a new character. By my estimation, a fully decked out character from a non-expert world would breeze through 75% of the expert bosses on snooze mode.

A mid-game character might have more luck with Expert Mode than a pure copper-dildo-and-undies new start. I went into Expert Mode with an early Hardmode character and it's easy enough, although the dungeon comes close to killing me when I'm not paying attention.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dis astranagant posted:

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

What ammo are you making that costs 3 and a half copper a ball and is actually good?

If 2 and a half gold is somehow a big expenditure by the time you have the wizard, you need a budget for your pixel legos game.

For that 2 and a half gold (Plus the cost of the crystal ball itself, which I'll grant may not be a necessary piece of furniture for everyone), you no longer run out of ammo. I'll also grant you it's lovely ammo, but you've got room for stacks of good stuff. I carry the bag and two stacks of crystal bullets. I haven't needed the crystal ones yet, but I have them for when I do.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Akett posted:

You can see the base of my biggest disappointment to the right though, a huge tower made of demonite that manages to be boring despite my using the coolest most interesting brick in the game, lit by the coolest drat torch type in the game. The layout is a boring winding path leading up to a boring Orthanc ripoff at the top because I had no clue what I wanted to do up there. I've also got a golden tower that is mirrored in layout, but that one is even more boring because gold isn't as interesting due to not glowing and there is no lighting half as cool as demon torches.

1.3 adds rainbow torches. Won't help the boringness of the layout, but gold lit in rainbows is at least a nice thematic mirror of demonite architecture. Add some clouds to the top of the gold tower, some Living Flame (Or yellow and red gemspark, or mystic lavafall) blocks to the bottom of the demon tower, you got a party.

Once I'd done my baobab house I posted earlier, I made a pledge: No single building will have room for more than five NPCs. Since building what's shown in that shot, I made a lovely palm/cactus bungalow on the edge of the desert at the dungeon entrance (I stuck the Nurse and Dryad there for help with Skeletron, wound up needing neither), a manly fishing lodge entirely for the angler, several near-identical palm wood fishing huts in various biomes, and a throne room with a slime house and tower on top. The tower is explicitly for specialized crafting stations, with a garden and wizard's tower at the top. I'll get shots of those once I'm back on my main machine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Also it turns out if you do a snapshot of a place you're not really in range of, it fucks up the back walls.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Fetus posted:

For you creative folks, how do you plan out your stuff?

Plan? :downs:

Honestly I don't plan much. It's basically about what looks right. Which often results in me building contentedly for five minutes, looking at it, going "No, that's wrong," and ripping half of it out again to redo it.

And even then it's wrong, because what looks right can't hold jack poo poo. Like the tower in my most recent shot. I figured five floors strictly for crafting stations should work, but I don't actually know how many special 3x3 crafting stations there are, and may wind up piling some elsewhere. Then the hammer at the top is way too small for its purpose. You can see I had to stick the minion altar on top of the table, and if you look closely, I had to stick the Shiverthorn planter boxes on the ends of the rows for the other plants. Likewise the fishing lodge. If I fish up a Rockfish or the Angler gives me another trophy, I'm totally out of space there.

Although for general building tips, buy both the Ruler from the Goblin Tinker and the Mechanical Ruler from the Mechanic. They're both very useful for just gauging distances and lines and such. The Extendo-Grip (From the Traveling Merchant, I think?) is also a handy building accessory. Sometimes I'll build a frame of dirt or a scaffold of platforms, but wings and an Ivy Hook make for excellent building tools as well.

e: One thing I have done previously is get some quadrille/graph paper (Available in the school supplies at most major retailers) and just sketch out the shape. Although typically you don't lose much by having to rip up half the building and redo it, knowing what you're doing ahead of time is always a big help.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oddium posted:

i appreciate that you kept the goblin and the mechanic together

Honestly that's just how they moved in, and each keeps asking if I just saw the other one. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Abandoned Toaster posted:

gently caress explosives traps forever. I don't know if 1.3 edited it so all of them have nice big tell-tale detonators by them now but in the past stepping on a pressure plate a dart will hurt, a boulder will REALLY hurt but can be dodged, but explosives, it's literally a click and you're dead.

I'm pretty sure I hit an explosive pressure-plate trap just today, because suddenly the screen was empty of rock and I had 10 HP left. :gibs:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Fixed air items being left over when monsters pick up coins in expert mode.

So that's what that was, I was noticing the pickup noise without accompanying messages as I walked over places I had been killing enemies.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just discovered my base design in one of my hardmode worlds absolutely trivializes pirate invasions.

Welcome to Unholy Heights. This world was fast-tracked to hardmode for the purpose of farming Wall of Flesh. After beating him once, I realized I needed a house so the Guide could respawn. I also realized I had a nice collection of obsidian brick and furniture. Thus was created the initial square of nine (Apparently I ran out of obsidian walls). The horns came next to add some storage space. They're made of pearlstone brick and hallowed wood painted red. Once I got the Meat Grinder, I just had to build a meaty expansion.

But I digress. The pirates coming in from offscreen would fall into my Celebratory Dart Pits and repeatedly walk on the button. Any that managed to jump over the pits would fall prey to the spear and ball traps or just me standing at the door with my Megashark. I could have sealed the place completely (The switch over the door to the forge room controls some actuators), but I feel a bit hinky sitting out an invasion. The Flying Dutchman might have presented a problem, but I'd pretty much just gotten done making keys and summoning special mimics, so I just chucked my Flying Knife out the door and laughed at their spoooky ghost ship rubbing itself sensually on my wall.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've already shown off two of my base designs, so I might as well show the rest of them.

This is my other hardmode world. An exercise in space efficiency, it basically just makes me feel like a slumlord. Which I'll admit is better than having the rooms vertical and feeling like a jailor. Of course I kind of made up for it with the sky biomes for the Truffle and Witch Doctor, plus the disco and greenhouse for the Party Girl and Dryad. Just visible in the bottom corners of the shot are my hellevator entrance and my boss arena.

This is technically part of the same base as above, accessible only through the teleporter. I mean, I had to get into the cave the normal way at first, then I walled it off after putting in the teleporter. It's my trophy room, with banners from when they were still only rare drops. The teleporter has three switches linked to it, although only two function, one to the surface, the other to hell.

And this is my "home" world, the first one I made. It's still not in hardmode, and it was created back in 2012, so everything's still square and funky, except for the Living Wood room I put in while it was still fresh and new. Notable features include sky islands that are entirely made of dirt with buildings of metal brick.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Qylvaran posted:

Oh, good. I just beat Golem, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to fight the martians.

EDIT - "Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects." Seedler even more powerful now! What's a good flask to make a bunch of for bosses or events?

Party. :toot:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Krittick posted:

A heads up if anyone notices their quick stack button disappearing: It's caused by using the money trough and you can fix it by talking to an NPC or restarting the game. They're fixing it thankfully.

Edit: It doesn't affect the piggy bank, only the money trough.

Oh, huh, I just encountered that bug.

Meanwhile I am attempting to farm for the Cell Phone. Got everything except one of the fishing accessories and the Metal Detector. :argh:

I've got a tunnel through the Ice Caverns lined with Water Candles, but I'm getting nothing but bats, skeletons, and spiders (The tunnel pierces two spider caves).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Evil Fluffy posted:

I swapped out my ivy whip for a dual hook and I'm kinda regretting it. The dual hook really needs to let both hooks stick in a wall at the same time.

Getting the fishing accessories looks like the biggest goddamn slog since with pretty much all the others you can just setup kill zones. Especially in hardmode with the nimbus rod. Except for the Nazar, because those skulls are so goddamn rare and so their rare drop is a bitch to try and get. :sigh:

The fishing things are basically just an as-I-go, every morning I stop hosing my tunnel with Megashark and go fishing. It's sort of a tossup which will happen first, the RNG deciding to spawn a Nymph or giving me a Pocket Guide. Or any of the other accessories, I still don't have fishing line, the earring, or the tackle box.

I could always use an item editor, but I did that for the last bits I was missing for the Ankh Shield. I sort of want to be able to say I farmed the cell phone all on my own.

Also, for the Nazar I'd suggest getting an Endless Ballsack and Megashark, then popping into a non-hardmode expert world and dungeon-diving. If you have wings, Skeletron is almost a non-issue, but you might want to prep by getting the Nurse and Dryad close by. Even with normal musket balls, the Megashark pretty well trivializes the dungeon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Turtlicious posted:

How do I stop corruption spread without spending hours of time on it?

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. My arena has a one-tile-deep layer of honey suspended in midair by bubble blocks, which players can pass through without hindrance (but which keep liquids in). Every time I take off or land I pass through the honey and get buffed.

:aaa: I just had like five new architectural ideas.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Verviticus posted:

has anyone had trouble with blood moons occurring? we've had maybe 80 days on this world with none yet

It's probably just random luck. I started a new world strictly to break orbs and get meteorite ore for making blocks, got a blood moon first night and a goblin invasion the next morning. No merchant, no chests to store things in, I just had a field around my initial spawn covered in shackles, lenses, and spiked balls.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Good morning, and welcome to Things That Suck. Today: Going to add on to the base you've had for close to three years, and discovering you built it lopsided. :negative:

I've ripped that whole treasure room and clothes showcase at the top out in order to expand and rebuild with better planning/in better materials. I built it to have one-block symmetry with that five-wide entry shaft right in the middle. Instead, one side is a block too big or too small.

It's just one block, but that means if I want to fix the symmetry, I need to rip a column of blocks off of somewhere.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HopperUK posted:

Embrace it! Add another floor that skews in the opposite direction. Zigzaggy.

I wound up expanding the short side, which fortunately was the right side and the easier one to do, I didn't have to muck about with the living wood room or the dryad's waterfall.

Also, has anyone else found this to be really common nowadays?

Just a whole bunch of altars at the bottom of the ocean, right up against the edge. Had similar setups in three of the worlds I've generated, and might have it in a fourth, but I haven't gone to the ocean in that one yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

S.T.C.A. posted:

I'm not going to say there's more than one good throwing weapon, or that it's not a huge pain in the rear end to get, and obviously I geared very specifically for melee damage, but throwing is pretty legit.

Now, would I use any other throwing weapon? Hell no. Maybe that possessed hatchet, I haven't tried yet.

Your image doesn't seem to have anything to do with your statement. The Possessed Hatchet is also a melee weapon.

Throwing is its own damage type now, but it's only good pre-hardmode, because the only armor that does anything to it tops out at 12 defense. And the bonus it gave was explicitly nerfed just prior to release.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think two accessories would make things much better just for quality of life: A Boomerang Glove that makes every melee weapon hurled, and an Autoswing Glove. Possibly tinkerable together.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can also make sticky dynamite, and five of those in the right places can take out an entire meteor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
For my new 1.3 character (I'm attempting the "intended" progression, I could have bombed my way through corruption ages ago), I am building intentionally horribly.

Perhaps too horribly, the conglomeration of hay, mahogany, ebonwood, and fencing walls on a couple rooms just seems like I'm trying too hard.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Read posted:

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Yeah, if you get lucky you can shoot ahead without intentionally skipping over parts of the progression. Like, I was running around in cactus armor with silver weapons, and in my cavern exploration I found a minecart track that ended in a nice big cavern in the Underground Jungle, so I wound up getting a jungle yoyo and a piece of Ancient Cobalt armor just from silver bow and flaming arrows, without even having 200 HP yet. Then the skeleton merchant spawned and I got me a counterweight, so my yoyo just absolutely wrecked the Eye when it finally showed up. Next stop: Corruption.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am making a room using Cog furniture and blocks, but then I realized there is no Cog Backwall item. what would make a good backwall to go with a room made out of cogs?

Tin/Copper Plating as mentioned, and the Painter sells a copper piping wallpaper that could be good as accents. Also a mix of Planked Wall and White Dynasty Wall would make things look decently Victorian.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

unwantedplatypus posted:

Now I'm just wondering what expert hardmode will be like, I hope I'm prepared.

Green Slimes with 200+ HP.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but any item of blue rarity or above (Seen most frequently with Crimson/Cyan Beetles) is lava-proof and can be retrieved. Granted, this means you need to lava-dive.

Otherwise, no, no means of triggering them. I read they spawn more frequently in Underground Snow (Possibly because of a smaller spawnlist), but my tunnel full of Water Candles yielded no spawns, but when I was strolling down to Hell for groceries I found one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I keep forgetting I have a flying mount, that would have made building my latest megaconstruction easier. I went to a moderate amount of trouble farming the Queen Bee for it, too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IntelligibleChoir posted:

So now that we are done with terraria, can anyone suggest any similar (non-starbound) multiplayer explore-y games? My partner and I are bored.

Signs of Life just implemented multiplayer recently.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Over 350 feet wide and 100 feet tall, this UFO lies at the very edge of space on a large world. Access is, of course, via teleporter, although the gemspark blocks in the cockpit are actuated to allow access to the exterior. Diamond gemspark walls provide gentle lighting throughout the interior (In addition to the natural illumination from the meteor and crimtane bricks), with white dynasty walls for accents. The minibiomes to either side are probably about the smallest that will work. Certainly their respective houses are. There's room for 20 NPCs, or will be once I finish walling the top floor.

It's obviously not finished, but it's at least something I feel good about showing. I don't know quite what to do with the middle floor, as far as back walls and purpose goes. It'll probably wind up being storage, crafting, and trophies, but beyond that, no idea.

And for those despairing about ever making something that neat, here's a secret: It's all made of boxes, or at least straight lines. :ssh: I started with the bottom, made it arbitrarily 50 blocks long, then to make the curve I went up 1 and out 12, up 1 and out 11, up 1 and out 10, etc. I did a lot of exploratory building and demolishing to get the height right, at first starting with only one of those window bubbles on the edge. After I got the windows looking halfway decent, it was just a matter of finishing the top shell as a mirror image of the bottom, adding another box on top, and finishing the bubble cockpit with half a circle.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 3, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Archenteron posted:

Guy who wanted to know about hardmode melee viability without using yoyos: Do Flails count in the same way as Yoyos, or are we talking Swords/Spears Only? You can fish a decent (beam-shooting) sword from the crimson/corruption, farm some hallowed crystals and get a phaseblade, or (if Flails), go punch some mummies and make a Dao of Pow

The Cutlass from a Pirate invasion is also a possibility (Good luck), I used one for my hardmode melee up until I could make a Terra Blade. Which actually came "early" because I'd collected two Broken Hero Swords back when you needed three to craft it. The Terra Blade only lasted me a few days, though, because I beat Plantera and got a yoyo drop from the hardmode dungeon in rapid succession.

Potential BFF posted:

Every map has a few Enchanted Sword shrines now, you can spot them by looking for a one block wide shaft beginning at or a few blocks below the surface. Some of the shrines will have fakes but there's always an Enchanted Sword on the map. There's also a chance you'll receive a new low level sword I forget the name of.

The Arkhalis, and it's actually pretty solid up into early hardmode.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Evil Fluffy posted:

Summon damage ranges from :geno: to :mediocre: for pretty much the entire game. Space Dragon is good but still functionally useless for Moon Lord because if you're within range for your dragon to attack him you're going to be eating hits from the boss constantly, and you don't have the defense to survive very long.

Very true, but summons can make for a nice support to another playstyle. I have a spider staff boosted by a Necromantic Scarab, and the pair of them will latch onto an enemy and just toss him into the sky if he doesn't have huge knockback resistance. Good for keeping things away from you.

Also today I beat Golem (Three times, I had several minutes left on my buffs and figured why not) and a Solar Eclipse, getting a Sun Stone from one of the Golem kills (The other two were a Fist and a Hatchet) and a Moon Stone from a Vampire. So that will probably replace my Charm of Myths. I also got a pair of Neptune's Shells, which I want to replace my Jellyfish Diving Gear with, but the problem is if I stick it in a vanity slot, I'm a fish all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I still have problems with creativity. Mostly because I make rooms too small. At most they get some ceiling space for banners/trophies, but furniture and wall theming can be kinda hard.