Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those ichor things are loving monsters and losing most of your armor can be killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like both but prefer the crimson a lil bit more. Also vampire knives own.

So I'm finally making preparations to trigger hardmode. Made some fishing tanks in the air, a floating surface mushroom biome with a house, a herb farm and I guess I should safeguard my oceans so they don't convert, right? A 4 tile wide tunnel around each of them should be enough? I guess I could dig a small one around my home base too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The odds of BOTH your oceans getting contaminated before you get access to the clentaminator are minuscule. Save your time and don't bother.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always forget about the clentaminator but both my oceans did get converted on my first hardmode game long ago. I think it used to spread faster back then, however.

Eh, I'm just gonna go slaughter that wall of flesh, I'm massively overprepared anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What does it matter if your oceans get converted anyways? What exactly do you lose?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ocean mobs get replaced by light / dark desert mobs, or at least they used to. Might also affect fishing and palm tree growth but I'm not sure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Blackheart posted:

Ocean mobs get replaced by light / dark desert mobs, or at least they used to. Might also affect fishing and palm tree growth but I'm not sure.

I've got a Corruption separated from my ocean by about 30 tiles of non corrupted sand (with my first meteor just barely missing entering the water itself) So If I make it to preparing to hard mode, at the very least that's one spot I'll want to deal with just on principle.

At least in the other direction of that corruption is the dungeon entrance, so that's a natural barrier right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm not sure what to do for hardmode gear as a mage early on. Right now I'm still running around in my jungle armour which has been fine for exploring but up against bosses it required a lot of potion chugging (skeletron prime) or outright got me killed (destroyer). I'm not sure what to upgrade too though that will actually provide a significant defense boost while also providing mage stats though. Should I just hold out for hallow armour from the bosses?

Also once you kill a mechanical boss do they ever show up again without being summoned?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Each of the first four tiers of hardmode ore (lowest tier is cobalt/palladium, next is mythril/orichalcum, after that is adamantium/titanium, and there's hallow above that) has three kinds of headgear, one for melee, one for ranged and one for magic. I think you need a mythril/orichalcum anvil to work with hallowed bars anyway, so you should focus on getting those first few tiers even if you manage to kill one of the mech bosses. If you feel searching for things is too hard you can fish for crates to speed up your collection.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So what's the most minions you can have without temporary buffs? 8? 9? I'm dreaming of a not-tiny stardust dragon and 4 or so stardust cells as backup.

Of course, I'll have to beat the moon lord a couple of times first :negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm not sure what to do for hardmode gear as a mage early on. Right now I'm still running around in my jungle armour which has been fine for exploring but up against bosses it required a lot of potion chugging (skeletron prime) or outright got me killed (destroyer). I'm not sure what to upgrade too though that will actually provide a significant defense boost while also providing mage stats though. Should I just hold out for hallow armour from the bosses?

Also once you kill a mechanical boss do they ever show up again without being summoned?

Cobalt or palladium, whichever your world has, will be a defense upgrade and you can choose what set bonus you get by crafting one of the three different helmets. From there it's mythril (orichalcum) -> adamantite (titanium) -> hallowed. Most people would probably recommend having adamantite or titanium armor for fighting the mech bosses. Especially the Twins, gently caress those guys :argh:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Internet Kraken posted:

Not to my knowledge on the respawning thing.

Hardmode is really all about dealing with what you get. If you got a great ranged weapon, go with that. You're going to want some kind of armor unless you're capable of killing any of the mechanical bosses. Cobalt is mostly a sidegrade and mythril and adamantium are really where you want to be headed. Honestly though, farm up some wings ASAP and get used to circle strafing and whatnot. I'm pretty sure you can put the witch doctor in a jungle house and he'll sell jungle wings for a plat or 2 and those will last you for a long time. Your health pool isn't necessarily to tank things (especially if you're on expert), it's to cover up mistakes in dodging things. Anywhere you wind up fighting a boss at, you want a campfire and heart lamp in the area giving your their buffs. Use whatever pots will help you (ironskin + regen + well fed is required for nearly everything) and pot early and pot often.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Walrus Pete posted:

So what's the most minions you can have without temporary buffs? 8? 9? I'm dreaming of a not-tiny stardust dragon and 4 or so stardust cells as backup.

Cobalt or palladium, whichever your world has, will be a defense upgrade and you can choose what set bonus you get by crafting one of the three different helmets. From there it's mythril (orichalcum) -> adamantite (titanium) -> hallowed. Most people would probably recommend having adamantite or titanium armor for fighting the mech bosses. Especially the Twins, gently caress those guys :argh:

Stardust set brings you to 6, plus the Papyrus Scarab and Pygmy Necklace makes 8. If Papyrus Scarab and Necromantic Scroll stack then you can get 9.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
e:nvm

Im 99% sure the scroll does stack though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

being able to replace a wall just by slapping another wall right on top of it loving rules

is that new to 1.3?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Trying to do some prep work to fight expert Wall of Flesh. A few questions:

1.) What's the best weapon for this fight? Megashark or Phoenix Blaster?

2.) Collecting some Ice blocks to run on. How many should be enough to get the job done.

3.) Minecart for the fight: Yay or nay?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

One of the temporary buffs might as well be permanent. A piece of furniture in the dungeon gives you +1 for 10 minutes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

2.) Collecting some Ice blocks to run on. How many should be enough to get the job done.

1: Star Cannon or a bow with jester's or unholy arrows. Demon Scythe and Book of Skulls also work well. Skeletron's bone chucker might also work if you bring the fossil set.

2: 3 or 4 stacks if you aren't using a star cannon, 2ish if you are.

3: maybe.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Waffleopolis posted:

I used phoenix blaster and meteor armor with the slime mount and the potion that makes lava not hurt you.

Remember to build a house for your witch doctor above the jungle so you can get his wings immediately.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Internet Kraken posted:

You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.

I swapped out my ivy whip for a dual hook and I'm kinda regretting it. The dual hook really needs to let both hooks stick in a wall at the same time.

Dareon posted:

Oh, huh, I just encountered that bug.

Meanwhile I am attempting to farm for the Cell Phone. Got everything except one of the fishing accessories and the Metal Detector. :argh:

I've got a tunnel through the Ice Caverns lined with Water Candles, but I'm getting nothing but bats, skeletons, and spiders (The tunnel pierces two spider caves).

Getting the fishing accessories looks like the biggest goddamn slog since with pretty much all the others you can just setup kill zones. Especially in hardmode with the nimbus rod. Except for the Nazar, because those skulls are so goddamn rare and so their rare drop is a bitch to try and get. :sigh:

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Building a track for expert Wall of Flesh completely trivializes the fight, but it can be a pain in the rear end to make. Try to get the Architect Gizmo Pack from combining the stuff the Travelling Merchant sells so you can ride at a decent clip while laying track ahead of you..

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

You can't get a Megashark until after fighting the Wall of Flesh.

EDIT: I mean, it will trivialize the fight if you do get one, assuming you have a flat space to back up a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

1. Grenades

2. a full stack of Dynamite should do you fine.

3. You may actually end up going too fast to actually see the wall.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I beat the moon lord. My second try involved me making a crude rear end U shaped shield thing out of dirt to block some of the attacks from the hands and a smaller shield inside the big one to protect me from the middle eye laser. It was based roughly on something somebody else in the thread made, but I can't remember who. It went well until the second phase where I dropped into my hellevator to gain distance to drink a potion to heal, but the health wasn't enough to save me, though I had gotten him down to 10%ish health before I died.

My third try I made some of those potions that healed for 200 health, put a bewitching table, a sharpening station a campfire and a heart lantern in the shield, and to the buff potions I usually use I added a summoning potion so I could get my stardust dragon to three segments. Once again I took it to my hellevator in phase two, but this time I managed to keep alive long enough to kill him. It helped that I could use my cell phone to teleport right to the top of my hellevator, giving me a second or two to regain my bearings before dropping back down.

Akett fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 14, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Evil Fluffy posted:

I swapped out my ivy whip for a dual hook and I'm kinda regretting it. The dual hook really needs to let both hooks stick in a wall at the same time.

Getting the fishing accessories looks like the biggest goddamn slog since with pretty much all the others you can just setup kill zones. Especially in hardmode with the nimbus rod. Except for the Nazar, because those skulls are so goddamn rare and so their rare drop is a bitch to try and get. :sigh:

The fishing things are basically just an as-I-go, every morning I stop hosing my tunnel with Megashark and go fishing. It's sort of a tossup which will happen first, the RNG deciding to spawn a Nymph or giving me a Pocket Guide. Or any of the other accessories, I still don't have fishing line, the earring, or the tackle box.

I could always use an item editor, but I did that for the last bits I was missing for the Ankh Shield. I sort of want to be able to say I farmed the cell phone all on my own.

Also, for the Nazar I'd suggest getting an Endless Ballsack and Megashark, then popping into a non-hardmode expert world and dungeon-diving. If you have wings, Skeletron is almost a non-issue, but you might want to prep by getting the Nurse and Dryad close by. Even with normal musket balls, the Megashark pretty well trivializes the dungeon.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Evil Fluffy posted:

No it doesn't, it's the only hook that doesn't do that as far as I know and thus the one I like the most. There is the tendon hook if you don't like how the dual hook works.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fishing accessories didn't take me over 20 quests to get and I got two Nazars on my first trek through the dungeon. Either I'm really lucky or they're not as rare as people think they will be.

Getting the Nazar in 1.2 was the worst thing ever but they've seem to have upped the spawn rate and expert mode helps to even further it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

watho posted:

No it doesn't, it's the only hook that doesn't do that as far as I know and thus the one I like the most. There is the tendon hook if you don't like how the dual hook works.

The fishing accessories didn't take me over 20 quests to get and I got two Nazars on my first trek through the dungeon. Either I'm really lucky or they're not as rare as people think they will be.

Getting the Nazar in 1.2 was the worst thing ever but they've seem to have upped the spawn rate and expert mode helps to even further it.

You are in fact really lucky. A whole bunch of fishing quests, something like 3 pocket guides and 4 weather radios and still no sextant. :argh:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

watho posted:

I'm at least 15 quests into the Angler and have zero accessories. I have the entire Ankh Shield though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone else have tremendous trouble aiming the Phantasm? I think it's all the bonus arrows, all glowy and homing, that make it hard for me to see where my actual arrows are going.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I prefer Crimson to Corruption because it gives you access to Ichor weapons and Vampire Knives.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Both the first two worlds I did serious work on had crimson so I developed an attachment for it. I purposefully went for a corruption world when 1.3 kicked in. Overall, I like crimson more, aesthetically, it has a creepy feel that the corruption just doesn't match. The one thing I think corruption does better is the Eater of Worlds/shadow orb arena, but it ends up taking up kinda too large a horizontal space, and like most of corruption is just flat out easier than crimson is.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do those flying dragons get hurt by lava if they happen to fly through it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wyverns you mean? No. They get chunked by any piercing weapon though. Get a cobalt spear or some holy arrows or something.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dareon posted:

The fishing things are basically just an as-I-go, every morning I stop hosing my tunnel with Megashark and go fishing. It's sort of a tossup which will happen first, the RNG deciding to spawn a Nymph or giving me a Pocket Guide. Or any of the other accessories, I still don't have fishing line, the earring, or the tackle box.

I could always use an item editor, but I did that for the last bits I was missing for the Ankh Shield. I sort of want to be able to say I farmed the cell phone all on my own.

Also, for the Nazar I'd suggest getting an Endless Ballsack and Megashark, then popping into a non-hardmode expert world and dungeon-diving. If you have wings, Skeletron is almost a non-issue, but you might want to prep by getting the Nurse and Dryad close by. Even with normal musket balls, the Megashark pretty well trivializes the dungeon.

A stardust dragon trivializes the dungeon even more, if you want to put exactly zero effort into killing things. Although it tends to kill all the enemies before they come on screen, so you might not actually see the Nazar drop.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Oh my god, Hallowed Mimics have an absurdly too high amount of HP.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

watho posted:

Oh my god, Hallowed Mimics have an absurdly too high amount of HP.

Yeah they're pretty tough but holy moly it's worth it if you can nab a Daedalus Stormbow from one. rip in peace destroyer

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Which hardmode boss should I do first?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Grimman007 posted:

Destroyer is easiest

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Grimman007 posted:

Destroyer, or the Twins if you're feeling ballsy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
People say the Crimson has spiders, but they are wrong. Those aren't spiders. They are ticks. Giant, bloated, engorged ticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I've noticed none of my characters have any time logged. I assume that's what the counter on the character select screen is supposed to be. Is this a bug or is something else going on?