Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Or you can use the purification powder sold by the druid to make turn the corrupted blocks into normal stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hi! I'm a filthy casual. Has anyone found any updated inventory editors and/or mods that make my cheatingplaying easier yet? (fully-lit maps, etc.)

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ This is an online inventory editor. Upload your .plr file and edit it, download and put it back. Works like a charm. I used to to cut out some grinding (i.e. biome keys, chlorophyte ore, souls of night/light. boss summoning items, buffing potions you get for fishing).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I've started to expand my lovely grass apartments, beginning with 3 themed houses for the pirate, the dryad and the truffle man.

All a work in progress! I like that my mushroom looks a lot like a blue turd with two dicks on top. :allears:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hmm. It looks like the bottom section should be valid and the top section, uh, should not (since it's closed off and has no doors). Which just raises even more questions, because the stylist is in the top section. :raise:

Wooden platforms count as doors.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you telling me I can put all of my NPCs in attic rooms with no exterior doors, just platform hatches down into the main living area? :stare:

well...

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Just give yourself gold armor, a grappling hook, speed boots, horshoe in a balloon, and the pick and weapon you get for fishing. That'll give you enough to fully explore and defeat pre-hardmode without being too overpowered imo.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Beenades+sharpening station will absolutely wreck the hungry, leaving only the wall which is no big deal. Make all useful potions+food, consume them all (potions are a p. big deal!), and go to town on the wall with a minishark w/ silver or meteor bullets. If you got some yoyo gear I'd advise getting the Cascade (drops from hell enemies) and using that, it's sickeningly powerful.

I never bother with making a bridge, the potions are enough (obisidian skin, waterwalking, featherfall, low grav, with lightning boots+cloud in a balloon you can basically fly forever).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Buttflakes posted:

I know almost nothing about this game but I'm buying it in 10mins.
Am I right in being extremely excited about it if I love Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Castlevania, Dwarf Fortress, etc... or am I gonna be disappointed?
I've known about this game for a while, but I had a misconception about what it is, so it's just been sitting there under my nose for like 5yrs now or whatever.

You'll love it. It's kinda like Minecraft as in you can go around to gather stuff to build poo poo, but also like a metroidvania because you'll become more powerful over time which leads you to defeat bosses which unlock more stuff, and this loops goes on for like 40-50 hours or something. It's great!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, get the best rod you can make and go do some angler quests for bait/gear, and then head over to the ocean to fish. You'll eventually catch a fish-pickaxe that can mine all pre-hardmode materials (including hellstone and corruption/crimson blocks).

e:

quote:

The Reaver Shark can be obtained via Fishing in the Ocean. The chance to catch it is 1:100 with 50% Fishing power and 1:50 with 100% Fishing Power.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 27, 2016

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Potions+nimbus rod+heart lantern+campfire+weapon sharpening wheel+some summons if you have them
All that and a simple arena (2 rows of platforms, quite high) will let you easily deal with the destroyer. The twins are the hardest of the first three bosses IMO, get a megashark + wings + crystal bullets for them and keep your distance.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nah, it shouldn't spawn corruption in the center ~10% or so of the map at the start. Generate a new world, try again!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

let's see what this actually does:
(source: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck)

-> being within 42 tiles of a regular torch does:
-> nothing in most places (forest, dungeon, underworld, ocean, sky, jungle)
-> gives a -0.5 modifier in desert/corruption/hallow/crimson,
-> -2 modifier in snow (let's ignore snow biomes for now)

So, in the case that you are in the desert, corruption, crimson or hallow, and within 42 tiles of a torch (or multiple, they don't stack), you get a -0.5 modifier. If there are no other modifiers, this will result in your luck stat being lowered by 0.1. The modifier is not the same as the luck stat!

What does luck do?
If the player's luck is less than 0, then there is a (-100 * luck)% chance that the chance is halved.

So, if you're looking for a drop that normally occurs in 10% of the cases, your -0.1 luck stat will lead to 10% chance of halving that chance.
9 times 10% chance + 1 times 5% chance divided by 10 times = 9.5% chance overall (lowering the chance by 0.5%)

If the base chance of dropping is 1% this bad luck will lead to an overall drop rate of 0.95% instead (lowering the chance by 0.05%)

SO! the worst effect of spamming torches everwhere will lead to a drop rate reduction that is very small, as to be unnoticable in regular play.

Is it a good mechanic? No.
Is it a complicated and obfuscated mechanic? Yes.
Does it matter? Not really!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

codo27 posted:

Ouch, that hurts

I must say, unsurprisingly the dupe menu has sorta burned me out. With unlimited money and ore so easy to get, I'm in a weird place now with the difficulty turned up and spawn rate turned up a bit, I take too much damage with full crimantine while not really being able to do enough effectively to deal with larger groups. I managed to beat EoC and BoC, I dont look forward to skeletron though. I've been exploring the map a little more today to try and find some missing accessories. But I desperately need to do more damage. The soul items needed to craft the better gear are in hard mode aren't they? I found a sword that casts down stars but they are too slow and hard to aim. Minishark takes too many hits to kill anything but the absolute peons. Meatball is alright but still doesn't knock back stuff enough to prevent damage.

I made my first apartment complex a pyramid shape, and people seem to get "stuck" in one side and stack on each other until I talk to one after the other which makes them move. Is the happiness thing new with 1.4? I'm gonna gently caress with that soon and put people where they should be, and properly lay out my own house instead of the albatross I have now.

the star launcher deals sick damage and with the dupe menu ammo is no issue.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

the poster just above says that it's 4x greater in the ice zone due to a bug, in which case then yeah that's a 20% reduction on a 10% rate

no that's a misconception.
Normal torches in the ice biome confer a -2 to the luck modifier. (see: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck)

If your luck modifier is -2 or lower, your actual luck stat will be -0.3.

There's a (-100 * luck)% chance that a roll is halved when it is affected by luck. That's -100*-0.3 = 30% chance of a halved roll.

So, if something has a chance of 10% (for instance a semi-rare drop), now it will have a chance of ( 7*10% + 3*5% )/10 = 8.5%. That's a reduction of 1.5 percentage points (or a 15% lower chance of getting the drop compared to neutral luck). It also affects damage rolls, and the largest effect it can have (the absolute worst case scenario) is a 5% drop in DPS.

So, in the absolute worst cases imaginable you're looking at a 5% drop in damage and taking a couple of minutes extra to find the stuff you want.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's spelled out on the page, my friend.

Torch Scores posted:

If positive score ≥ 1, overall luck gets +0.2.
If 0 < positive score < 1, overall luck gets +0.1.
If 0 < negative score < 1, overall luck gets -0.1.
If 1 ≤ negative score < 2, overall luck gets -0.2.
If negative score ≥ 2, overall luck gets -0.3.

Other things that influence luck:

quote:

Ladybug Luck
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: -0.2)

Ladybug luck relates to interactions with Ladybugs, as well as a few other NPCs.

Torch Luck
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: -0.3) (see above)

Luck Potions
(Maximum: +0.3 / Minimum: 0)

Lantern Nights
(Maximum: +0.3 / Minimum: 0)
Lantern Nights increase luck by a flat rate of 0.3.

Garden Gnomes
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: 0)
If the player has a garden gnome nearby, luck will be increased by a flat rate of 0.2.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Go find the components for this thing: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yoyo's with the yoyo bag really tear everything apart at all stages of the game. They deal tons of damage and are also fine against crows thanks to the yoyo bag, and you can also cheese poo poo with it by standing behind a wall and yo-ing through a gap. You can also get some of the best yoyo's right out of the gate in hard mode (in the jungle or frost).

me playing terraria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fp4uIl5Lmk