Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CJacobs posted:

edit: oh poo poo meteorite sets you on fire :supaburn:

Do you have any obsidian? You can use a few pieces to make a skull trinket which will prevent you from being set on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Did you kill the Wall of Flesh? If so, then you should have gotten a "Pwnhammer." It's the only item in the game capable of destroying demon altars.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

There's also the nuclear option, which involves building your gigantic apartment building block far enough off the ground to block spawns, but also far enough down to prevent harpies and rear end in a top hat luck dragons from spawning.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I thought the manor was amazing, and then you posted the statue temples. God drat.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

edit: Oh I can only do it at night. Well then I guess I'll wait.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the inevitable "This is going to be a terrible night" message pop up right as you use the Mechanical Eye.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

Try to get up to the floating islands or at least start up a sky platform for fighting Wyverns. They hit like a truck and pack a bunch of health, but killing them will get you souls that will help immensely as a crafting ingredient.

This. Very much this. Wyverns are gigantic assholes and will rip your teeth out through the new rear end in a top hat they just tore you. However if you can kill them reliably, you can get some very important soul item drops, which you can then combine to create a trinket which will make you infinitely more maneuverable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

There's no mods or anything to balance hard mode a bit better for single player, right?

If it was balanced better, Terraria would be one of my favorite games of all time. As it stands I hate how useless a lot of the items become as soon as you start it.

fake edit: or is the solution simply getting good

Yeah, the only solution is to just "get good" or whatever. Hard mode gets a lot better once you're decked out in a full suit of hard mode armor, and have better weapons. It's also where the game starts to severely punish the "up close and personal" melee playstyle. Ranged, magic, and summoning builds will have a much better time in hard mode than someone swinging a broadsword.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 19, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So hey, planter boxes. How do they work?

Planter boxes work just like dirt otherwise would. You just take the seeds you want to plant and right click them on the planter box.

If you managed to grab a Staff of Regrowth from the underground jungle before hard mode, you can also use that to harvest double the herbs when they are blooming.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

King Doom posted:

It's worth building a wall to seal off a big chunk of normal terrain around your base first. The crimson/corruption spreads fast, and eventually if it gets close enough it'll make your home uninhabitable.

Corruption/Crimson only spreads like crazy until you kill your first mechanical boss. That slows it down greatly, and then killing the jungle boss slows it to almost pre-hardmode levels.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

how are y'all taking such big screenshots? i wanna share my house too

On the pause menu, above the dye column is a thing called "Camera Mode." One of its features lets you select stuff on the map to take screenshots of.

The end result is a high definition image of whatever it is you selected. Like my floating sky castle tenement housing here.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It seems like you can't rename chests (or presumably add text to signs) with the keyboard if you have a controller connected. Adding labels to things now takes closer to 30 seconds instead of 5 seconds. :mad:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Is there any reason not to use life crystals as I find them? I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for goblin army and I want to get a decent equipment set going before I trigger any events. Sitting on 3 right now.

200 hp is the cutoff for when the Eye starts to harass you every night. So I would hold back on using more crystals until you get a proper arena set up.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

If it's a new world, Corruption/Crimson will slowly infect grass until it hits sunflowers or any not-grass, where it is blocked. You don't have to do anything, it'll go by itself, though it'll probably have spread as far as it can by the time you find it.

Once you activate Hardmode, it will spread more aggressively, infecting stone, sand and ice, not being blocked by sunflowers, and will consume everything without intervention (though beating further bosses will slow it down).

To further add to this, you don't have to worry about the jungle. It has its own, incredibly effective, defense mechanism against corruption/crimson.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

watho posted:

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless. Enemies doing increased damage means that you really need to make sure you have a good defense as well as your offense so 4 extra armor can be more important than 4% extra damage. These are not hard concepts to grasp.

There's only ever one point in the game when an extra 4 defense is going to be worth more than any of the other modifiers, and that's at the very start before you've killed your first boss. The age of Warding on everything mercifully died when patch 1.1 did. The mid-late game of Terraria has you crafting a bunch of accessories, each making you exponentially more mobile than the last until you can finally jump from the surface and reach the edge of space due to all the poo poo you have equipped. When you can move like that, why would you tank hits when you can dodge around enemies?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

This is great. So you can now choose whether you want corruption or crimson on a new world?
I wish they'd do the same with ore alts, but hey, one step at a time.

I'd love to see worldgen expanded so that you can elect to have both corruption and crimson on the same world. It would certainly make things a whole lot more interesting.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Apparently there's a RPG mod called "Super Terraria World." To quote the official forums on the subject...

quote:

Welcome to Super Terraria World!
You may be wondering “what is Super Terraria World.” Super Terraria World (STW) is a standalone role-playing mod, which will be kept up-to-date with any official release of Terraria. The primary goal of this mod is to bring a MMORPG element to this wonderful game. Currently, we are only releasing Single Player Alpha versions of STW. This is so we can focus all of our effort on creating plenty of quality content for you all to enjoy. We thank you for expressing interest in our mod, and we hope that you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoy creating it!

It seems interesting enough. Has anyone checked this out?

Ninja edit: Offical Forums Thread

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I'm planning on doing so later.

I'd be interested in a trip report!

I say this like I'm not going to install and try it out myself.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Every time I transition between areas, the game locks up so hard that Steam itself crashes. So I think STW is kinda hosed right now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, STW really gets "it" wrong about what makes Terraria adventure maps fun.

Though to be fair, many map makers don't understand it either. I really hate that The Story of Red Cloud became "literally Dark Souls but in Terraria" because early iterations of that map were fun. The guy who made it understood good level design for the most part, and doled out rewards at a good pace. He just had no idea how to properly balance bosses, so you wound up with bullshit like the Four Fiends, or the weird endgame bosses that were almost three times as hard as anything else, and had poorly thought out enrage mechanics.

Or you have map makers that do weird crap like that map I posted about last year, where their whole shtick was fiendish and terrible jumping puzzles. Ex 1 and Ex 2. The first example you had to cling to the walls, and flipping the switch changed which ones were actuated. So you had to jump back and forth across the pit, flip the switch on the way over, and grab the wall on the other side. You also, for whatever reason, couldn't grab the bricks pictured. That second example especially sticks out because the whole thing was based around blind jumping into wall clinging, and only the green surfaces were safe. Touch a red one and you took about 30HP of damage and fell down and had to do it again.

I'd love to play a good adventure map, but it seems they're too few and far in between.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sometime today is when the Halloween seasonal event starts. It lasts until the second week of November.

So if you're looking for some vanity sets this is your opportunity.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with setting up a mob farm? The wiki is conspicuously silent on the subject, so I've done my best to approximate it with "large open area + water candle" but...

I'm mostly doing this to try and force a Nymph spawn, as she's the only thing between me and having the PDA 3/4 done.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Fishing really depends on the person... I find it rather zen. It's the angler quest system that sucks.

This, so much. Fishing in the game can be pretty relaxing. It's not really a minigame, and you can just kinda chill out and listen to podcasts or whatever while you're doing it. But only being able to complete 1 quest every real world 24 minutes is beyond awful. It's why I do all of my fishing quest expeditions on a single player "server" through tshock. Being able to type "/time 0429" every time you finish a quest is great.

Plus it's the only sane way to get that stupid 200 fishing quests achievement. Doing it legit and getting a new quest every 24 minutes, it would take you more than four straight days to finish it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Another patch is dropping in 4 days.

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/797084190600785920

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The tower defense stuff for late normal mode feels pretty fun, if somewhat easy. The ballista towers completely wreck the normal goblin enemies and cheese everything that isn't the dark mage or the wyverns. Though I do think getting 3 medals for winning is kind of poo poo. Given, y'know, one of the things costs loving 75 medals.

This update does feel like it's specially designed to make summoner characters feel awesome, though. All the little towers can be used as actual summons once you successfully defend the crystal once.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cenx posted a list of hotfixes on the official forum.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-4-is-live.51316/page-10#post-1135334

Fixed medals dropping only in stacks of 1 instead of their intended amounts when in singleplayer
Hopefully fixed some enemies being invisible on spawn during the Old One's Army event when in multiplayer
Fixed Eternia crystals using their internal name Elder Crystals
Fixed Striking Moment buff's tooltip
Fixed Tavernkeep not reacting to the King Statue
Fixed certain worldgen crash that was replicated using the experimental seeds feature! whoo!
Fixed an exploit
Fixed certain new weapons staying in use during the player's death
Fixed silent crash when trying to place defenses in dedicated servers
Fixed silent crash when using Last Prism in multiplayer

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I started a new Large world on Expert and I have a few questions. Is Expert generally worth it for a returning player? It says the rewards are better and I do like a challenge. What are some good things to do once I start in a fresh world on this difficulty?

Expert mode is not very fun at all, and only two or three of the rewards are even worth it. One of these rewards drops from the final boss of the game. Many of the boss fights are made substantially harder for only a crap reward, too. Also regular enemy damage and health are increased substantially, and their health keeps going up as the game goes on. Regular green slimes have somewhere north of 220 HP on my endgame expert mode world.

If you're willing to persist, then just be prepared for pain. Until you get some good armor, basic zombies will one or two shot you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I've spent the last three hours looking for the Goblin Tinkerer around the Cavern layer. Is there any trick on where to find him? I've fulfilled all the conditions on the wiki.

If you've killed Skeletron, then you can almost certainly find the Goblin Tinkerer in the dungeon. You might also try taking a trip through the jungle to see if you can turn him up in there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Tshock will let you fast forward time after each fishing quest is complete. But it's still not updated because they decided this was the best time to switch how the software works.

Honestly you're better off using the method I used for the LP

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

Just make a backup of your character file before using it in case you accidentally corrupt it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got some stupid herb/mushroom farm questions. I'm getting some basic farms set up before I hit hardmode:

1) Is there a way to protect my farms from the spread of Hallow? Like, can I surround them with a few layers of stone or whatever?
2) If I plant crimson seeds, do they need to be in a separate farm so they don't override the other stuff I've already put down?

If your world is large enough, build them in the air. You can place blocks under free-floating minecart tracks, and half a screen of empty air is the world's best insulator for or from crimson and corruption. Plus you're also going to want that glowing mushroom farm on or near the surface in Hard Mode for Truffle.

And like Vib Rib said, buy a bunch of planters from the Dryad for your herb farm. You can be like me here and buy a different planter for each type of seed, or just use the same one for each. But they are much better for letting plants grow.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Huh, I didn't know that fireblossom/waterleaf had alternate conditions.

They changed it in one of the major updates to go from "when submerged in water/lava" to "when it rains" and "in the afternoon." And thank god, because it was more than a little annoying getting the liquids just right otherwise.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You're gonna have to remove the dirt backwall all the way over from the closest point where it stops.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kill Hallowed mimics for a Daedalus Stormbow, and then combine that with holy arrows (200 wooden arrows + 3 pixie dust + 1 unicorn horn) to create a weapon capable of shredding most hard mode bosses with a minimum of aiming.

EDIT:

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: Melee is really good if you find the frostfire yoyo that drops from hardmode mobs in the underground Tundra.

Destroyer is one of the only three bosses in the game immune to Frostburn, making Amarok a not great choice for that particular fight.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Get a shotgun from the jungle, get in a minecart, and introduce the Wall to 12ga buckshot from a safe distance.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooCepgfsJ8

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-overhaul-gameplay-enhancements-and-much-more.60369/

Someone posted this earlier, and it looks pretty neat. They call it the Terraria Overhaul, and judging by the changelog posted on the forums page, it's pretty comprehensive.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I installed it to give it a try, and it has this awful mouselook, like you're looking through a scope permanently. It's super disorienting when you're trying to dig or move around.

It's also an odd complaint, but it doesn't feel like it adds enough? By the name "Terraria Overhaul" I'm expecting something besides "it's the vanilla game, but with different movement and attack mechanics."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lorini posted:

Hey guys I'm unsure of where to go from here. I'm in Hardmode, I have a Godly KO Cannon, a Demonic Clockwork Assault Rifle, a mix of Molten and Orichalum armor, Obsidian Shield, and some movement accessories. Should I start fishing for stuff? I was going to try to get the Dao Pao weapon, but there's no Hallowed Desert in my world.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Since you seem to be focusing on melee/ranged damage, what I recommend is making yourself some Frost Armor. It costs 46 bars of Titanium/Adamantite and 3 Frost Cores, but it's one of the best general hard mode sets you can get outside of the super specialized stuff. It causes all of your melee and ranged attacks to inflict the frostburn debuff on enemies. You can also make a pretty strong ranged weapon by combining a shotgun (from the arms dealer), 2 dark shards, and 10 souls of night.

Also, you mentioned "some movement accessories" does that include wings? If not, you should go harpy hunting. Be prepared for Falcor.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lorini posted:

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Don't bring them down equally. Focus on one over the other, or you're in for a world of hurt. Also I'm sure this is a dumb question, but are you using buff potions? A heap of buffs can make all the difference in the world.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kalas posted:

Archery potions if you are using a bow. Gravity potion to give you flying options.

Yeah. Archery, and either Rage or Wrath depending on your world's evil. I also recommend using Crystal Bullets.

I dunno if it'll help you, but here's a video I made the last time I fought the twins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akb_mxHNewk

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Chlorophyte Shotbow is probably the next big ranged weapon upgrade. It fires several free shots for each arrow it consumes. Pair that with holy arrows and you can shred the next two bosses provided you can dodge around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Calamity has a lot more content than Thorium. Combining the two together makes for some chaotic progression, as well. On the whole, Calamity's items feel kind of like mid-late Factorio stuff, where everything requires so many ingredients that themselves require even more stuff. It's super grindy. Also some of the progression bits stick out like a sore thumb. The hell crags biome you can visit from the start, but nothing you pick up can even dent the materials until well past Moon Lord.

It's worth checking out all the same, just be prepared for grind going in.