Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

For instance, I never really could figure out, for a single player only game, if I should be using small or medium world size.

Go with large. Especially with the new teleportation mechanics, you're better off maximizing available stuff and space for building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

Should I just grind guns?

:orb:
Your first orb/heart in the corruption/crimson will drop a gun, which will allow the gun guy to spawn. Buy a mini-shark.

Alternately, what are you using for arrows? Jester arrows are pretty useful early on (when a gold bow is something you'd be using).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

I've brought a few stacks up and made a death moat under my house,

Don't forget to research a bucket each of lava, water, and honey.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

We're supposed to be able to research & duplicate any item in Discovery Mode, right? I bought some paints plus a roller and then researched them, but they're not showing up under the duplication menu. I even used the search function. Anybody know if this is bugged or what?

The duplication menu is terrible. Try clicking your currently selected tab to deselect it, then search. Some items don't have a tab to show up in, and search only searches the current tab.

If that doesn't work, then yeah. Probably a bug.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The only duplications I'd call "progression breaking" besides money and ores are the "right-click to open" objects; mainly crates and herb bags. I don't care, so I just fished up 10 crates and iron crates and found a couple bags in chests and now I have infinite pre-hardmode ores and bars, master bait, and most of the potions.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmetshine potions and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Yes. That or use ultrabrights and/or flares.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

need to grow more herbs first to make more potions,

Find two herb bags in overworld chests.

E:f;b. Twice.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Same for ores and bars, although the game doesn't quite account for the fact that not all ores come in at a 4:1 conversion rate.

Ore and bars aren't quite the same since they only go in one direction. I got 25 meteorite bars from two chests well before a meteor landed on my world, but I won't be able to make meteorite bricks until I mine some ore.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, the Lunatic Cultist is eating me alive. I mean, I gotta get good, but I have full Shroominite armor so I feel like I can't get much more defense and I'm doing like a quarter of his health before I die.

On the upside, tactical shotgun+chlorophyte bullet=lots of damage wow

I know I got pasted the first time I fought him because I ignored his gimmick. When he clones himself one of him is brighter. If you hit any of the other ones, he summons a dragon. Firing constantly will get you killed pretty easily. If you're looking for it it's not that hard, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just to make y'all jealous, my friend and I went down to the hallow on a lantern night (we had just beaten the Queen Slime) and got the rod after beating two or three Chaos Elementals.

I was freaking out, but my friend didn't realize how incredibly unlikely that was. Thank goodness we were in Journey mode so we only needed one.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

According to the wiki, it's just meeting a certain wind threshold and waiting on the rng. I set the wind to max and waited about a day in the desert and one showed up.

Edit: I'm talking about sandstorms, obviously.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Do pyramids even still exist. I've made several worlds now and seen no indication of any.

I've had pyramids in the last couple worlds I made. Got a flying carpet and a sandstorm in a bottle.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Guess I gotta bust at least one to get some action, huh

Three, unless you want to get all of your hardmode ore from fishing. That makes sense in Journey, but it would be exhausting in other modes.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

... If by a little while ago you mean immediately after Moon Lord was introduced.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I've seen lava flood traps that look like that before. I think the silt holding it up is just a worldgen coincidence though.

E: F;B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Does each Jungle biome only have one Hive, or are there multiple? I beefed it against the Queen Bee and whatever object I destroyed in the Jungle to summon it didn't respawn, so I'm wondering if I should keep digging around for a second Hive or just craft its summoning item.

Depending on the size of your world, there can be many hives, though smaller ones may not have the breakable thingy. If you run out, your only option is crafting. They do not respawn.