Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm stuck at work, but I always play co-op with a buddy so I can't play until the weekend anyway.

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god drat the final boss looks cool.

:stare: :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Be cool like me and delete all your current characters and worlds so you can't cheat.

Eh, unless they changed world gen getting some items (cough cough the balloon cluster cough) are really annoying to make so that item is fine to cheat over if you ask me.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I went into caves in the desert and fought awful horrible bugs and sandworms. Then I went to the surface and a sandworm descended on me from the empty loving sky. :stare:

Probably means there's a floating island above that spot!

Or perhaps you found a new weather event. :unsmigghh:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

how do you beat Expert Wall of Flesh? Even with full molten armor, a long hellbridge and a minishark I could only do 1/4 of his health before he killed me

Buff potions, a bow using jester/hellfire arrows (make sure to use an archery potion!), and depending on whether you died from hitting the edge of the map or just attrition use the armor from the dungeon that boosts ranged attacks instead of molten armor.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Matt141 posted:

(1.3 endgame spoilers)Finally defeated the moonlord on expert on poxin's server, it's soooo not worth it, his hp total reaches over 1 million with like 6 players, and the expert accessory is just a accessory that's a shittier gravity pot(can't change your direction mid-air). Not only that, you gotta kill the moonlord several times to get a single full set of 1.3 armor, don't bother with expert outside of wall of flesh, eater of worlds and fishron accessories, others are worthless.

God forbid you play something for "fun" or "the challenge". :jerkbag:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

It's just bigger numbers delivered faster. People just threw themselves at him until he died, with one of them being invincible. It was like watching a Lemmings death march.

From the standpoint of someone who just sat and watched, I'm not sure how that could qualify as fun for most people unless they like seeing the HP whittled down bit by bit.

It's less that and more the "ehhh his loot sucks he's not worth it" attitude. Like, you may as well kill him at least once just for the boss fight experience.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 2, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Are there any proper elevators in this game, or any way to set some up? Having an easy way to go up and down would be nice.

Rope.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

benzine posted:

Terraria 1.3.0.3: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-0-3-changes.21980/

You can now quickly move items between your chest and the inventory by using leftshift.

thank christ

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to increase your number of accessories? There are so many now I can't decide on which ones I want. If I take any of my jumping ones off, suddenly my mobility is crippled beyond any use but at the same time the mobility ones take up half the slots unless you're lucky enough to find the right stuff to combine them.

Kill Expert Wall of Flesh.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Why does Fireblossom seem to harvest it self?

My garden is becoming a headache.

Is it actually popping out of the pots, or just changing the growth stage? Every plant has 3 growth steps: Newly planted, harvestable but not "bloomed" (which will just give you the herb) and bloomed (gives the herb and seeds). Most plants have different criteria for blooming except shiverthorn and blinkroot, which just bloom whenever the hell they feel like. If a plant is at stage 2 it'll switch back and forth between 2 and 3 whenever its criteria are met.

Daybloom blooms when you'd expect it, Moonglow at night, Waterleaf while it's raining, Deathweed during blood moons, and Firebloom will bloom during late afternoon for about two hours before sunset.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 5, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Play normal if: You're playing solo or playing with only one other person; you haven't played the game through up to Golem previously; you don't feel like checking the wiki frequently to see what armor/weapons are available to you at arbitrary points of the game; you don't want to have to worry about potions; you are not the sort of person who min/maxes in games.

Play expert if: You're in multiplayer with probably at least two other people, are a masochist, are the sort of person who is playing a game and constantly looking for methods to break it over your knee, and/or want your balls crushed in a vise.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a 'rotate item' button I don't know about? I'd like my loom to face a different direction.

If the item is able to face different directions, it's based off the direction you're facing when you place it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

If you ever found one of those underground spider nest things, go back to those. There are now hardmode spiders that drop bits to make a spider armor/summoning set.

After that is another new item craftable after you kill the Twins.

efb

President Ark
May 16, 2010

legoman727 posted:

"Okay I just killed the golem, time to look for life fruits before corruption eats my jungle... oh hey Solar Eclipse."

Go back, fight it a bit. Then Martians invade... beat them back, get the last bit of my solar eclipse to normal spawns, then go to check out the dungeon a bit... MORE MARTIANS.

I need to contact X-COM.

If you're at the point where you're killing golem, presumably you've killed at least one of the mech bosses. Doing that severely slows corruption growth and I'm pretty sure completely stops it overtaking the jungle.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

DarthJeebus posted:

Ugh, I forgot how burned out I get trying to contain the corruption/crimson after the wall. I should probably just stop being attached to my worlds and just loot them for what I can before moving onto the next. Using bombs to dig 4 wide tunnels to hell is easy enough but everything else gets overrun and there isn't poo poo I can do about it. By the time I have it all contained, my world will be practically empty from all the digging.

For what it's worth, I've been playing on a multiplayer server that's been running 24/7 and nobody killed any mech bosses for 3 days and there was still plenty of grassland left over and the jungle was fine. People are waaaaay too afraid of those eating the world.

I mean, other than the jungle there really isn't much you lose, and the jungle takes so long to convert that you'd have to leave it on for weeks before you lost most of it, and I have to imagine you'd kill a mech boss and stop it before then.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The only one that I'd say is really essential are the vampire knives.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Xenaero posted:

So I'm playing around with actuators and I guess it doesn't count as a door so all my NPCs got deported

NPC rooms still require a door or other form of access. If you're trying to keep them wandering outside and getting murdered, just keep all the doors internal.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I see him all the time while exploring, usually just above lava layer. I don't even really use yoyos on this character. :shrug:

It's probably one of those "you always find him when you don't need anything from him, and when you do he's nowhere to be found" things.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

Nuebot posted:

I didn't even notice if it did anything new.

When it's nearly dead (like <5% hp) it speeds way the gently caress up and can outrun you even if you have hermes boots at full speed.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any way to get light pets like the fairy bell or wisp in a bottle back after dismissing them by right clicking the buff? Unequipping and reequipping them doesn't work, neither does relogging.

Pick it up and left-click with it like you're eating a life heart or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

LightningSquid posted:

Whyyy isn't there a spawn item for Plantera? It's the only thing about this game that actually makes me furious. I can even take the Medusas.

Because the thing that spawns it can appear anywhere in the jungle and there isn't a limited supply of them?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Excelzior posted:

if there was a spawn item, I could spawn plantera asap before the corruption gets even a tick of spread in

but no, gotta wait for - and find - the loving bulb

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Buffs. Ironskin potions, endurance potions, regeneration potions, lifeforce potions, just drink all the potions. The expert mode lunar event went from completely impossible to very hard when I used a full load of those.

This is true for basically everything. Even just ironskin, regen, and the food (you have no excuse, buy it whenever the travelling trader shows up) will significantly increase your lifespan.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I eventually found her tucked into a corner I had missed. Now I can have ridiculous hair, assuming I never wear a helmet again!

My old 1.0 habits have given me the urge to build elaborate farms for plants, but I can't remember if back walls are mandatory or not, or how I ever built underground mushroom lairs. I gather there's a dude who will come live with you now if you make one?

The clothier sells a cosmetic item that lets you have your hair dangling out while still wearing a helmet. It's handy if you wear one of the UI-related hair dyes - the ones that change color depending on your mana/health.

You can farm most thing except mushrooms using clay pots now which you'll want to have a backwall around. For regular mushrooms, they'll just grow wherever; for glowing mushrooms, find one of the natural biomes underground and chop them up until you get mushroom grass seeds which you can use to replant it. There is an NPC who only lives in mushroom biomes but he won't show up at all unless you've killed the wall of flesh and there are some annoying enemies that spawn in mushroom biomes so hold off on that for now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Asciana posted:

So semi new to this and just defeated Eye of Cthulu. What should I use my demonite ore for hat dropped? Should I hold off for Shadow Scales to make a Nightmare Pick or something else?

By the time you get shadow scales you'll have gotten a ton more demonite vomited at you to make a pick. You should make a weapon.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Just one shot Skeletron in expert. A simple arena with heart lantern and bonfire combined with basic buffs yielded a clean kill. There isn't anything special in the expert dungeon right? I'm going to need to go to another world to get abeemonation materials but oh well.

I'm using ranged gear right now, switching between a minishark for bosses and shotgun for mobs. I've been lucky with reforges on accessories and have 3/5 warding with the others armored and hard. That 6th slot is going to be incredible.

Any tips for expert wall of flesh? Beenades and what else?

Beenades and a ranged piercing or splash damage weapon. Water bolt or demon scythe for magic, and a bow using unholy or hellfire arrows for conventional ranged. Melee can do well with the mace weapons (sunfury or blue moon) or a yo-yo if you've got all the extra poo poo for those but expert WoF gets really fast at the end of the fight and you'll be much closer to it as melee so it's a bit riskier.

e: Use the bows until you get rid of all its stupid tentacle things, then switch to the minishark. When the WoF first spawns it's got this cloud of stupid tentacle things in front of it that keep you away from it and block nonpiercing attacks.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

So, what new mechanics do the mech bosses have on Expert? I didn't actually notice any.

Nothing overt. If you actually come into contact with the Destroyer's head it does a fuckload more damage and skeletron has massive defenses while spinning. Didn't notice anything about the twins.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I accidentally drop the demonite bow all the time because it's the same color as the inventory. I'll be rearranging things and accidentally chuck it because I didn't even notice it was there.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

When using explosives that remove terrain, does it actually destroy any of the blocks or does it just dislodge it all for collection?

Dislodges it. I'd probably have gone insane by now if I couldn't dynamite meteors.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Akett posted:

Those torches look like 1.1 torches, meaning that those walls are a mix of grey brick, mudstone and iridescent brick. The lack of any sloped blocks in the image are a giveaway that it's pre-1.2, that design would look a lot better with slopes.

Yeah, he did a really good job of faking slopes using partially-visible backwalls on the roof of the church, for instance.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You forgot the tax dude.

Tax dude's hardmode, although if you bring purification powder when you're fighting the wall of flesh you can get him literally 10 seconds afterwards.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Excelzior posted:

word of warning, as I do not know if it is a bug : the Drill Containment Unit can destroy demon/crimson altars without causing health loss or hardmode ore spawns.

it's really weird, because it's NOT a hammer

To be fair, by the time you reach it you probably don't really need those anymore.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Here's the town I've been working on:

I find the copper tile background looks like a nice wallpaper. My bar/inn is looking very cozy. :kimchi:

What's that you have on the roof of the center structure?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Akett posted:

It's a chimney, they're new. You make them with grey brick, and you can also make fireplaces but those require torches.

Not that, I meant that orange-brown tile you have as the roof to the right of it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

How do I turn that room at the bottom into a bedroom? does it need a manmade back wall?

halp. wanna build this vault :downs:

Yes, natural walls let monsters spawn and you can't set your spawn at a bed in a room monsters can spawn in. That said, you'll have to lay backwalls down starting from the surface because you can't clear out backwall or replace backwall unless it's touching an "open" backwall or a player-placed backwall already.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

...So to have my NPCs live in an underground vault I'll need to hammer out the entire background area of their rooms from the surface down?

jesus.

In previous versions, yes, but in this one you can just replace the backwall straight up - left clicking on the natural snow backwall once with a crafted backwall in your hand once will remove it, then again to place that. You can do that straight down that wall separating your greenhouse area from the shaft on the left so that you don't have an ugly seam in your base.

You'll probably want to replace it all eventually anyway because monsters can spawn there (this isn't minecraft, they don't give a poo poo about light levels, it's all about what's in the background layer) but that'll do for getting your bedroom valid and some NPC spawn areas set up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure one harvest of a greenhouse that size is gonna maker you set on herbs for ages, with or without a staff of regrowth.

Deathweed and Shiverthorn bloom infrequently enough it's still worth using for them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

According to the wiki this poo poo can be passed through by players but not liquids. Dunno about banners, but it's worth a shot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I just buried all my banners in a tunnel under the arena. The range is pretty big.

Yeah, this is what I did. It's in a valley between a hill and one of those giant trees (so ok it's not technically a valley :spergin:) and I have all the banners underneath the bottom and some others in the sides or hanging off the tree and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This might be obvious but it has helped me so much I figure I'll mention it; if you manage to get a money trough, put all your potions in the piggy bank. I only used a handful of potions before but now I use tons of them since its so easy to take one out and drink it. I don't have to plan ahead or bother with placing a safe to get potions out, just summon the pig and drink up. Makes things a lot more convenient.

You can press 'b' to auto-use one of every buff item in your inventory that isn't already active. :ssh: