Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mzbundifund posted:

So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

Mana regeneration potions. If you're fighting in an arena, place stars in a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The destroyer doesn't have any specific weak points (hitting lights on segments vs. lights off segments is the same damagewise) but any weapon that does splash damage or pierces will do well because it'll hit multiple segments.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I prefer the crimson because red is my favorite color.

What, you expected something motivated by mechanics? :fuckoff:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Crimson is a nice change of pace from the Corruption. Does it also have an enemy I need to be careful about leading places? Corruptors always induced a small panic when their shots hit ground outside the containment zone.

Not anymore, and corruptors can't spread the corruption anymore anyway.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure the origin point is where you first spawned/killed the wall of flesh.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

symbolic posted:

How do the Spectre Hood and Spectre Mask compare in terms of situations? Is one better for bosses and the other for mobs? I've been using exclusively the Hood and it worked well until the Pillars. It's useless against the Moon Lord.

The one that heals is incredibly useful in multiplayer.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

*furiously takes notes*

But won't that leave a lot of background tiles up?

If any part of the explosion hits a tile with no backdrop, it also removes the backdrop from the entire thing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Keiya posted:

not gonna work for me... there's about three or four blocks between my two corruptions for my surface jungle.

It takes the corruption an extremely long time to convert even a small amount of jungle - in order to convert it it has to randomly remove the jungle grass and then randomly convert the now-bare mud into dirt before the jungle grows back over it.

The corruption will not eat your jungle unless you leave your computer on running terraria 24/7 for weeks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Met posted:

Any non-torch light sources? Torches just flicker and show flames too much.

Amber gemspark backwalls might work.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Skycastle is coming along nicely

Eventually I may have to do something about the entrance to my hellevator, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to

Also, the balloon cramps my overlord style but at least I got a red cape :v:

You realize you can hit (foreground) blocks with a hammer to change them into slopes, right?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

work your way up to adamantite/titanium gear, making sure to make a new pick for each 'new ore' tier so you can mine the better ones. that stuff will pretty much become your baseline of what you want for the next set of bosses.

You're going to be spelunking for the new ores again. Once you get mythril/orichalcum, the best place to find titanium/adamantite is actually the roof of hell - hell, ironically, is the safest place in the world in hardmode.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

30 or so hours in to the game and still no sign of a lost girl. I'm glad to see the rod of discord is also still in the "lol go gently caress yourself" category too. :suicide:

Are there any items/potions that boost drop rates from enemies? Didn't notice one but hoping I missed something. Even a 0 def hardmode armor set that boosts drop rates would be fine at this point.

Being on expert doubles drop rates and Lost Girls can spawn pre-hardmode, so I guess make an expert world if you don't already have one and explore.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Section Z posted:

Could you inform my ignorant self why building close to the origin is bad? Does the original spawn telefrag parts of the building away if you die without a bed spawn/you use it for multiplayer? As for having to move out, would bolting on the 20ish rooms total for NPC houseing just be too bulky for what you are going for?

It does look pretty nice though. I am a sucker for cool cabins in these games.

The origin point is where pirate/goblin invasions congregate, so if your base is right there and you don't take steps to keep your NPC areas invasionproof then every time one of those invasions comes in your NPCs will get murdered.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Of course, not having it at your origin point (or one of the ends of the world) leaves you with the possibility of one of the moon pillars spawning right on top of you.

That's why my base in my current singleplayer world is underground. Don't have to deal with any of that poo poo, and after spending 10 minutes and ~60 sticky bombs blasting a channel around it I won't have to deal with crimson or hallow once hardmode starts either.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

my ongoing experiment to create a background forest with some depth to it

That's really loving clever use of paint to create the illusion of depth, although you might want to use a different shade on some of the trees or a different leaf wand or something to make the distinction between the different trees more apparent.

What's at the top of the big tree in the middle?

e: nevermind found it in your post history, that looks pretty rad

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

the dryad having a good time

also yeah i still need to play around with living leaf blocks and maybe grey paint. i reaaaaaaaaaaally wish you could build on maybe like 3 different background layers and also that the painter sold more than white grey and black for shades

You could also try using one of the shades of green, since the leaves are mostly green already.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

yeah i have some lime going on in the experiment pic and cyan kind of works but give me like rainbow paint that opens up an hls slider and let me go hog wild

Yeah I can't see it at all, but I'm kinda colorblind when it comes to yellow/green anyway so I'm probably not the best judge of this. V:v:V

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Verviticus posted:

what fencing is that guy in front of on the right hand side there? i want a bongo playing target dummy

Judging by this, looks like shadewood fence.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Also venom bullets do more damage than chlorophyte if you're not using a shotgun or shotgun-variant (or the gatligator) so use those.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I swear it's pretty frustrating sometimes the dev team's no-fun attitude towards weird tricks that most normal players will never run into. Why is it so important to you that one weird youtuber can't use his stupid trick anymore?

Because with gamer culture the way it is, that One Weird Trick One Guy Does soon becomes the One Obligatory Trick Everyone Must Do.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

It won't spread until you've killed the wall of flesh, and even then it's basically a nonissue unless A) your base is underground, B) you play extremely slowly and leave the game on while also not making any progress for literal IRL weeks, or C) you're a humongous sperg who doesn't want the world to change at all if it's not you doing the changing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Yes. And it isn't actually that hard to do. Put a few pieces down and get on the tracks, then just start moving and laying down tracks as you go. Basically just have to hold down the mouse button.

Also press control once to turn on smart place, which will make it so it tries to follow terrain and also only places it touching existing track.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Judgement posted:

I actually went out of my way to seed various parts of my world with corruption because I wanted a dumb super corrupt gimmick world, and I still barely had any noticable growth beyond what was already there. Unless you're running on a persistent world server or otherwise leave your game going for really long periods of time, you pretty much never have to actually worry about that poo poo.

I really don't get it either. It's one thing to worry about the jungle, but apparently people are worried about the rest of the world too. Which I don't get - I usually deliberately spread a bunch of hallow as soon as hardmode starts so that there's more places to get crystal shards and pixie dust.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

whiteshark12 posted:

The second one, I've terraformed quite a lot of the area around my base in the world I made when 1.2 was new and I was curious as to what it looked like to start with.

The problem with that is that unless you have access to the 1.2 client, regenerating the world with that seed wouldn't give you the same world because world generation has changed.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm trying to fish up an Aglet and I've gotten like 6 umbrellas. :mad:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

This game runs like complete rear end even with frameskip on. Any tweaks or something? It's unplayable.

Are you trying to run it on a toaster or something? I haven't had any problems with it on any of my computers, including my ancient XP laptop that's rotting in a closet somewhere.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Asciana posted:

Finally made it to hard mode and my first impression is - I think i'll just stay in my pretty house. Everything seems to take ages to kill even with the pre-hardmode Underworld weapons. I'll get a nice upgrade soon right?

Break altars and mine some cobalt. Make a repeater. Load it with hellfire arrows.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion

gently caress you for getting this garbage stuck in my head again. :mad:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Apparition posted:

Is there any reason to not play Expert mode for your first playthrough aside from difficulty?

If you've literally never played the game before, expert kinda expects you to know all the tricks and optimal gearing paths if you're playing it solo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

kazil posted:

Counterpoint: Expert mode is for punching yourself in the dick repeatedly and if you are starting out the game and don't know if you will enjoy it why bother?

There's a certain type of person who are incapable of enjoying a game if A) they know there's a higher difficulty level, and B) they're not playing it.

I don't really get it either. :shrug:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Krittick posted:

Not even close. It's only about ~475 blocks wide and 420 blocks tall. Mostly just wanted to clear a large area so I can build something huge and partially underground.

Scrooge mcduck money vault? Missile silo?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Roshambo posted:

Is there an efficient way to get souls of light? I tried making a meteor biome underground in the hallow, but everything but the meteors seemed to drop souls and at a very low rate.

Most things you can force to spawn have been hardcoded to not drop hardmode items (souls, keys, whatever) so your best bet is to just excavate a large area with nooks and crannies around the edges for things to spawn in. Drink a battle potion and place water candles to boost the spawn rate.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 27, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I actually killed the twins on normal mode in mythril gear with some hallowed-level weaponry, and what enabled it for me is there was a little tunnel I could run through and it turns out - despite going through walls - if there's a solid wall in between you and him, spazmatism won't shoot fire at you. So every time he was spraying fire I'd run in circles through that area so he'd constantly be blocked and worthless while hitting him with a yoyo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

It also can't affect more than the surface layer, because corrupt/crimson grass can't exist on dirt deeper than the surface layer.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doesn't breaking altars still spawn random patches of hallow/crimson/corruption too?

If it's underground, it won't be able to spread in the jungle. Corruption/crimson grass can't grow underground.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah this isn't true. When I killed Wall of Flesh the Crimson patch went right next to my jungle and was slowly taking it over. It did seem to get stopped at a certain point but it was definitely spreading underground.

Well, yes, it'll spread through stone. But if it's just mud all it can do is convert it to dirt, it cannot subsequently grow crimson in it. It will also be able to spread immediately below the surface but it won't be able to spread below where the background changes the first time, which is the first "real" underground layer.

There's basically nothing of consequence in the jungle above that point anyway.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Goddamn you guys are wimps, the crimson is not that bad.

Also my base in my current game is underground. :getin:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

It's bad because your NPCs can't live there anymore and the houses you built are now worthless. They really have to spread at harder angles and have a 0% chance of going anywhere near the center of the map.

Chuck some holy water at it until it changes to hallow, then. NPCs don't give a poo poo about hallow.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

they do figure out some things while playing terraria and their second run of the game with calamity is a lot smoother, but yeah, i can imagine it'd be really annoying to watch it if you know how to do things when they're bumbling around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I believe this was changed at some point, previously collecting a big pile of water digging your hellevator and dumping it out the bottom when you get there was a very reliable way of making the entrance less dangerous. But they added a thing that makes water disappear in hell, so you can't do this any more.

the water still persists for a bit so it's handy to make a starting platform of obsidian so you don't just fall into lava