Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ambaire posted:

Who the gently caress thought this would be a good title bar message? ...

Yes, it's hilarious for people who know what that does, but the devs don't have any hooks in place to catch it.. it still force instantly closes the game.

i'm going to assume you're being sincere, in which case you should probably know that alt-F4 is a windows operating system-level command that forces the currently active window to quit, and telling the unsuspecting to press it while playing a video game is a joke so old i think cavemen were doing it to each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

Can anyone in spoilers or not give me uh a big picture thing to do. I have a house and am looking for ores in the level where there is no walls. Like the next 3 -5 things I should do. Thank you. Solo classic small map (huge was too big)

Probably don’t have to spoiler starting tips

1. find ores and hearts. get at least silver or gold armor (for a first-time player) and a good weapon that can do mid-to-long range, or a shitload of throwing knives. get a grappling hook; you can either make one with a chain and a hook or with gems. (if you're lucky you might get one as a random drop, there are a bunch of grappling hook variants in the game)
2. kill the eye of cthulhu to get the components for better weapons. to summon him, either reach high enough health (i think 200-220?) or craft the item at a demon/crimson altar with lenses dropped by demon eyes. the eye moves around a lot and tends to hover at range, this is why you got the ranged weapons or throwing knives.
3. get enough housing available so you get the dryad and/or demolitionist to move in, which you'll need for the next bit.
4. go to your world's evil (corruption/crimson) and destroy shadow orbs/crimson hearts. to reach them either use bombs/dynamite (from the demolitionist) or purification powder (from the dryad). destroying 3 will summon another boss, so stop at 2. take the equipment you got. if you got a gun, make more housing for another NPC; if you got a magic weapon (thorn rod or the crimson rain rod) that will be a big help against the next boss.
4b (OPTIONAL). wait a bit for a meteor to land and dig it up for a very good earlygame magic ranged set and weapon (the meteory armor & space blaster), good tools, and pretty good melee weapons (the phasesabers). if you have the demolitionist, dynamite will very quickly clear out meteor blocks which damage you; e: apparently this no longer works; you can also dig up obsidian from deep underground near lava and make an obsidian skull which makes meteor blocks not hurt you.
5. if you have corruption, buy a shitload of grenades from the demolitionist; make the best armor you can (you may need to kill eye of cthulu a few more times; craft more eyes if you do, once you've killed it once it stops freely spawning after 200-220 HP) and take on the next boss. grenades will chump the corruption boss (they're somewhat decent against the crimson boss but not as much), and the magic weapons from either biome's loot item are also very good against them.

at this point the world's your oyster and you're probably free to explore the dungeon, jungle, or hell; if you go with the latter, be careful not to kill 'voodoo demons' carelessly, as the item they drop will, if it falls into lava, summon the boss that makes the world change into hard mode

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 19, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

Thank you. I’ll save that and use it. With respect to 1 what is the best way to do that. I’ve just been blindly digging through the area under ground level (no walls)

try and stick to caves, digging around will find you stuff but caves are huge in this, so explore in there, leave torches so you know where you've been

grappling hooks, platforms, and ropes are a big help for getting around and if you find a chest with a magic mirror treasure it forever

e: and this game is definitely from the era when you were pretty much expected to be using guides or wikis or have watched a video, so don't be afraid to look up wikis.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also i'm gonna be real if you generated a medium-or-larger world start over on small! The worlds in this are gigantic and all doing an above-medium world will do is make there be more empty space between things. Once you know what you're doing and know how to get around and are doing more intricate builds maybe play on a medium or large world, but for a single person small is a perfect size. I know there's lots of people who are worried about running out of stuff on small worlds but it won't happen to a new player unless you're going out of your way to do it, and I mean "going horizontally across a world with dynamite at a vertical level bombing everything and dumping lava on the drops then digging down and going back again like the world's worst typewriter"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

Has anyone actually been able to bomb/dynamite meteorite in 1.4? My meteor is impervious to all explosives. I had to mine it, which admittedly wasn’t TOO hard, but it threw me for a loop and I wasted a lot of money on dynamite.

that would be an incredibly dickish change if they did it. are you on master mode?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the only things that you can really break via duplication would be anything that drops from a boss and fishing crates, yeah

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Do hallow/evil biome blocks convert msuhroom grass mud into their biome?

on the surface, yes

in caves, they'll turn it into dirt and then stop because biome grass can't grow underground, so you'll just lose a bit of the edge

:siren: this also applies to the jungle people constantly freak out about needing to protect the jungle in hardmode but you can't lose the underground jungle :siren:

Nick Esasky posted:

does anyone have any advice on building an arena/tactics for fighting the EoW in expert? I keep getting murked by the acid spit it throws out in Expert while trying to stay out of the way of its fat rear end.

grenades, buy a shitload and just throw them at it as fast as you can and after a few seconds the dying segments will drop hearts faster than it can damage you

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 22, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Pretty sure our entire desert turned into Hallow - any way I can fix that? I essentially do not have a desert biome in one of the worlds at all as far as I can tell....

i don't think there's anything that the desert getting hallowed/evil'd locks you out of, you can still make glass with the sand and the same mobs still spawn there

e: and the desert getting hallowed/evil'd is basically inevitable because they spread through it like wildfire

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 22, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

watho posted:

hallowed desert still counts as desert when it comes to the pylon but not when it comes to npc happiness, evil desert is just straight up not inhabitable

oh, well then your best bet is probably converting a floating island into a desert (it's dead easy you just need a bunch of sand) and putting the npcs there if you really need it for something

like i said, keeping desert pure is extremely hard because of how fast the contagious biomes spreads through it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

Did your configuration get changed? If for whatever reason all your keybinds are cleared that would do it.

Additionally, test if the game will let you type in an IP address for multiplayer or a name for a new character/world. If the answer to those is "yes" then your problem is entirely ingame as opposed to the Terraria executable in general.

alternately, do you have a game controller (xbox, whatever) plugged in, the game might be trying to read input from that

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Velius posted:

I helped my boys get to hardmode but haven’t done much with it on my own. Is the contamination spread fast enough that firewalling everything is needed? My jungle in the world I’m trying to keep pretty and nice is surrounded on both sides by corruption, to the extent that I’d have to cut out a bunch of jungle and make a lot of slow sideways cuts. I expect once I start hard mode I can get the clentaminator pretty quickly, but I’ve never actually used it to know what the trade offs are in using it.

:siren: HARDMODE EVIL CAN'T DESTROY THE UNDERGROUND JUNGLE BECAUSE BIOME GRASS DOESN'T GROW UNDERGROUND. IT CAN ONLY DAMAGE THE SURFACE JUNGLE AND SLIGHTLY ALTER THE EDGES :siren:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm fairly sure the spawn can because my underground jungle housing turned invalid because it was in an evil biome.

the first time you kill the wall of flesh two giant stripes of your world's evil and the hallow appear in a big "v" shape and if that intersects the jungle it'll overwrite it, but it won't spread from there and no amount of terraforming can prevent it from happening, it's basically just dumb luck

e: and even then, i'm pretty sure this initial stripe will only corrupt stone, it can't do anything to subterranean mud because again biome grass doesn't grow underground, so you'll wind up with a stripe of jungle with a bunch of corrupted rocks embedded in the walls that can't spread

e2: look at this fuckin' map i found here. do you see how much fuckin' jungle there is even with the surface jungle completely gone and the corruption stripe intersecting it? it's because the underground jungle is immune! stop worrying about it and wasting your time on giant terraforming projects! the underground jungle is fine, you can't lose it!

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 22, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

if anyone else asks "hey uhhhh do i gotta dig a three-mile trench around the jungle to stop it being corrupted? i don't want to get stuck!" i'm gonna poo poo

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Peachfart posted:

This is both correct and wrong.
Corruption can turn mud into dirt and spread through that, but in 1.4 the special ore that spawns in the dungeon actively prevents corruption from spreading and will actually turn dirt back into mud.

Except biome-specific grass other than the mud ones (jungle grass and mushroom grass) can't spread underground. Have you ever seen corruption grass in the cave layer ever? No, just corruption/crimson biomes made entirely of stone with bare-rear end dirt patches scattered around. Because the biome grass only grows on the surface. And you know what the jungle is? Almost entirely mud with very little stone. So while on the surface, the process goes

1. The corruption removes the grass from the mud
2. The corruption turns the mud into dirt
3. The corruption grows grass on the dirt
4. Repeat with the next tile,

underground it's

1. The corruption removes the grass from the mud
2. The corruption turns the mud into dirt
3. loving nothing happens because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.

Like, don't you think it's funny that despite everyone being terrified of this happening, there's never been a screenshot of the underground jungle fully corrupted? I can't find one. Because they don't exist. Because it can't happen.

And that wiki you posted proves me right!

quote:

Grass does not spread below the surface whatsoever.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 22, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yes. On the surface. It can't spread underground because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

yeah sorry this is kind of a pet peeve because people have been posting poo poo going :ohdear: over corruption eating the jungle for five years now

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Dreamsicle posted:

drat just went to my snow biome for the first time in hardmode and it seems the corruption "V" pattern completly consumed it. Besides having to put the NPCs who like snow in another biome, will I have to worry about anything else like eventually losing snow biome enemies? I still see wolves and ice elementals, but I'm not sure if they'll go away.

no, since unlike surface jungle crimson/whatever turning desert or snow biomes results in "crimson/whatever snow" instead of turning it into regular-rear end dirt; crimson/whatevering those biomes just overlays new spawns into them but the old stuff remains

President Ark
May 16, 2010

definitely take the time to get up the hardmode metal tech trees before trying the hardmode bosses; whereas in normal mode it's pretty easy to start doing bosses without getting gold or even silver armor, in hardmode damage starts rising dramatically and the way armor works in the game means that even a small armor deficit really hurts*, so you want every bit you can get

you may even want to talk to the goblin tinker and reforge all your trinkets into warding (+4 defense) forms. potions help a bit, thankfully the two best potions for your survivability are very easy to make (daybloom and iron/lead gives +8 defense, daybloom and a yellow mushroom gives more health regen), and the third-best isn't much harder (it's a fish from the cavern layer plus... blinkroot i think); for when you actually fight bosses you should make the potion that gives you more max health which needs a fish from the hallow (prismite?) and a bunch of herbs

also if you're on a crimson world, real quick start a corruption expert world and kill the eater of worlds for an extremely good trinket that just makes you take ~20% less damage

*it's just straight subtraction with a small % modifier depending on your difficulty level (armor matters more on higher difficulties, on lower ones there's more give to the numbers), so if an enemy hits for 100, 100 defense means it does almost nothing to you, 90 means it's dealing 10 a hit and might be a threat if you're careless, 80 means it only has to hit you 20 times to kill you, and so on

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the advanced combat techniques book that upgrades your NPCs stack or is it a one time thing?

it's a one time thing, but while looking it up i discovered your npcs get buffed like that whenever you kill a new boss which was something i had no idea was a thing

e: apparently said buff and the book are both new to 1.4, which explains why i wasn't aware of them

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Memento posted:

Do the rare spawn NPCs just disappear? I've seen "unconscious man" and "bound woman" a couple of times on my Lifeform Analyzer, but every time I've gone to look for them, going backwards and forwards then up and down, they disappear before I can find them. Are they getting killed before I can find them? Do I have the blood of innocent tavernkeeps and stylists on my hands?

I honestly just want to finish off my NPC towns in certain biomes.

they can get killed and i know the stylist can be a pain because she spawns in spider dens and tends to get eaten by spiders

your best bet is bomb out some tunnels in an area (use scarab bombs, combine bombs and desert fossils, they dig like 3x20 tunnels very fast), light everything up, and just stay still until the lifeform analyzer lights up

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 27, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

seriously these things rule https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Scarab_Bomb

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Does movement speed affect falling speed? I’d like to fall faster so I can dig holes faster with these shroom claws. Because it’s fun.

not that i know of, but the mount dropped by the slime king affects falling speed (i think; its gimmick is stomping enemies with it does damage)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Goonlandia (random seed, large world)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnlJz81igA

for any people still doubting, this video literally proves the corruption can't overtake the underground jungle

yes, i know there's a trench, but there's jungle in with the corruption that doesn't get overtaken at all

e: actually this looks like biomespread is off on the entire world, but that raises the question of why they dug trenches at all if that's the case

President Ark fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 28, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Velius posted:

I’m having an issue with corruption and my jungle, but it’s Plantera specific. I’ve got corruption bracketing my jungle pretty tightly, and I’m trying to do a sideways tunnel for the second phase. But I can’t go long before we swap to corruption either left or right, and when I hit the threshold she frenzies and it’s lights out. I probably just need to make a bedroom and teleport back to my arena. Is there a jungle clentaminator fill I can use?

not exactly - https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Clentaminator - you can convert glowing mushroom to jungle and vice-versa, but not corruption

for your problem i prescribe sticky dynamite; bomb out the bits that are causing it and replace it with mud

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

please tell me those sky triangles are revealed map and not a complex series of hedrons youve constructed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1sTIoz1FFI&t=77s

President Ark
May 16, 2010

has anyone noticed blood moons being less common? they were pretty regular in all my previous playthroughs, but in my current game i've gotten all the way right up to the edge of hardmode, killed every normal mode boss, and even sandbagged for a good ~2 ingame weeks building and messing around and i haven't gotten a single blood moon

i'm going summoner build this time and i want the vampire frog staff :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I did, and I loved it, but pylons and the incentive to build outside of your npc hotel is really fun too

mods take time and effort to update to new versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

At least I won't have to worry about corruption eating the jungle :v:

:tizzy: