Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So what is the deal with the multiplayer Steam integration now? I have yet to find an informed description of what, exactly, has changed. Does it mean that dedicated servers are no longer necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Metos posted:

They're decent, and make some good sense on paper, but after trying them both it really is a case of for most of what you're fighting the Dragon will just destroy it and have moved on while the cell is still applying it's dots.

It depends. Stardust Dragon dishes out more pure damage, but it attacks enemies one at a time, it has a longer range than the cells and it can't turn very sharply so it ends up taking much more roundabout routes. That's just fine against bosses, but during normal exploration that means you're going to get swarmed by nasties while your dragon is busy flying through three walls to kill some trash mob off-screen. Stardust Cell, like most other minions, is more defensive and focuses on protecting you by killing anything that gets close, rather than abandoning you to try and kill everything that spawns. I prefer the Cells, except in the Underground Desert where you need the Dragon's aggressiveness to keep genies off your back. But it's not like you need a full-length dragon to kill regular enemies, so if you're full summoner, just have a few cells and a few dragon segments.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's super quick to dig hellevators with a good pick. Just turn on smart cursor and dig downward, it'll automatically make a two-tile wide shaft. Mirror back to the top and do it again on the edge of the shaft to make a four-tile-wide shaft. Just be ready to deal with water and lava in your path.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SuitDude posted:

Just got to my first hardmode and I've been reading up about how the Crimson spreads, and it looks like my Jungle and Underground Jungle are set to be destroyed pretty easily. Is it worth quarantining the Crimson surface area that's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Jungle's surface?

edit: just saw a couple posts up, I won't worry about it

Yes, absolutely. You won't have any chlorophyte on the surface, so the Crimson will happily eat your whole surface jungle if left alone long enough, even after you beat Plantera. Even underground, your jungle is likely to have more stone than chlorophyte, so Crimson tends to outspread the jungle.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Wow, the basic hardcore metals are kind of stupid, aren't they?

I mean, they only really seem to gate each other - you don't actually spend any appreciable time in them. I created a full set of Cobalt Armor and a pickaxe (made a drill first, but man the pickaxe seems better). From there, I just ripped through Mythril so fast, it seems pointless to even have it. Basically, I've realized that you can just chug Spelunking Potions, Mining Potions, and Obsidian Potions and just blast your way through the top of hell mass gathering everything.

Are you actually supposed to use the Cobalt/Mythril armor separately for a stage of the game (one where you're actually exploring/fighting things for any length of time in that armor)? Because right now, it seems like they are basically just pointless, as you can just hellevator down, gather all three of the ore types so quickly that you might as well just gather enough Adamantite while you're down there to just jump straight to that armor type (obviously, you need to pop back quickly to make the appropriate pick and anvil to jump to the next level). It's like Cobalt/Mythril are basically just useless.

Well, it depends on whether you're a seasoned Terraria veteran who already knows the quickest most optimal way of doing things in advance or not! If you don't already know that the roof of hell is both the safest and one of the more abundant places to gather high-level ores in early hard mode, and you don't already know how to deal with the hardmode enemies, and you might not necessarily be toting the absolute best pre-hardmode weapons, you might find yourself having trouble hunting ore with pre-hardmode armor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Davoren posted:

I mentioned before how I'm in hard mode for the first time, and though I was feeling very lost at first, I'm flying now, just used up all my power cells making a chump out of the golem. :) How concerned do I need to be about the crimson and hallow in my world though? I know the spread should have slowed down now Plantera is dead, but I was checking the quarantine shafts around my base and there was some crimson inside one, is a 4 block wide empty shaft not enough to stop the spread? I guess it could be an infection from the altars I broke at the start that I missed, since it was nearer the hallow side, but I'm still slightly paranoid. Is it worth going mental with hellevators and purifying the world with the clentaminator? Both hallow and corruption are sitting at like 12-15% right now.

It's probably something you missed or something from the altars, it's hard to be sure. It doesn't spread all that fast, so no need to panic. Just remove the tainted material, and check back every so often to see if it reappears.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick question: if my base/town/whatever is actually built underground branching off a living tree tunnel, will I be hosed if I enter hardmode and the biome change runs through my base? Should I be moving everything topside?

Unless you've built really deep or really far to one side, it's unlikely the hardmode corruption will reach it anytime soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

They definitely need to put in something that makes teleportation less wire placement intensive. I'd like the game to just place the wire itself after I put down the teleporters, using all the wire I have on me. I don't care how the line is placed or if it crosses other wires, that would be such a huge time saver.

Whatever else they add, I hope they give some in-game reasons to do them. I never do engineering anymore that isn't a stone door or a life/mana statue for my arena.

Placing wire is pretty easy now, with the smart cursor and flying mounts it's almost as easy as minecart track. The only problem is cost - wire is pretty expensive.

Krittick posted:

I am really looking forward to this, but I hope they have the common sense to ignore most of the player suggestions they get. Especially the first one in that thread with its hilarious suggestion of adding dozens of more specialized biome-based wire types to the already chaotic amounts of items.

All they really need to do is add logic gates and wireless tx/rx as someone stated. Those alone will make way more stuff possible than exists now.

Some way of tracking state would be good too. There's no way to tell a wire system whether something is "on" or "off", so it's really hard to keep things in sync, especially if they're being used by other players who have no particular inclination to be careful not to screw up your system's state. As far as I know, the best you can do is use lights as indicators to track the system status so you know when it needs to be manually reset.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

It's not TOTALLY blind. I've been restarting for a variety of reasons a number of times. Soooo. Steam says I have 259 hours in the game so far, if that tells you anything. 99% of which was post 1.3! This is the first playthrough where I've attempted the Mech bosses, though, let alone killed one! So. It's effectively blind for the parts of the game that actually matter to most people.

I have all the materials to make a Megashark, even the Shark Fins, but I was really trying to stick to the yoyo. S'pose it's an option. :newlol:

Full Hallowed + a Yelets right now. On the best attempt I had him down to 2k, but four hours later, the best I managed was 5 or 6 since. Guessing I should probably go back to Titanium for the set bonus, too.

Build screenshot for the hell of it.

I don't remember melee armor, but I don't think the Obsidian Shield and those boots are really doing anything for you in that fight? Try swapping them out for other things, like the Worm Scarf (that damage reduction is Very Important in Expert) and, I dunno, maybe a Band of Regeneration or a Cross Necklace?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Pillar enemies only spawn when the pillar background is visible. If you're having trouble, stay near the transition points for the background. If you're getting overwhelmed, retreat out of the pillar background and pillar enemies will stop spawning, so you can finish off what's currently onscreen or heal up at your leisure.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

watho posted:

To be honest, I'd really like some automated turrets for my home base in Terraria. Maybe have them be manned by NPCs or something.

Maybe you could buy or craft a sort of "gun mount" that you placed a weapon in and if you put ammo in it or a nearby chest, or something, NPCs could use it. I'd probably just end up getting a bunch of Rocket Launchers loaded with IVs and trigger an invasion just to see how destroyed everything would get though. :unsmigghh:

Get some traps from the temple, put them near the entrance of your base, then wire them up to a pressure plate and maybe a timer. If you want you can even actuate them so they won't block your path.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The game already has a solution for walling yourself in, though: enemies and projectiles that pass through walls, and the fact that the majority of weapons in the game don't pass through walls. It's already annoying enough to have to run away from my base every time a blood moon or eclipse happens to stop monsters from slaughtering my NPCs. The only things you can cheese by walling yourself in are the martian invasion and pirate invasion, and I'm willing to give that a pass considering that, unlike the bosses, those two invasions stay active until you beat them, whether you're capable of beating them or not, and they always happen in or near your base regardless of where you are when they trigger.

Block destruction just sounds really annoying, especially since you don't get to choose when the majority of events happen or where you fight them. It's not genuinely difficult, either - when clowns were able to destroy blocks, people just had to be double extra sure to line their base with explosion-proof blocks, or put up barrier walls to block the explosions and attack the clown as soon as possible. It was an annoying inconvenience, not a fun difficulty boost.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Samog posted:

not if there were an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

Only if it also re-places furniture that was placed on those blocks, re-paints the blocks, and so on. And how would it work in terms of materials? Will it just re-generate everything for free? In that case, the player could clone blocks and furniture trivially. Will it require the player to provide the materials? In that case, what happens if there's more block types+furniture items in your base than can fit in your inventory? I don't see the point in implementing what is, essentially, the ability to save a base layout and reconstruct it automatically later, just so enemies can ruin your hard-built base without it being too painful, and then making it only usable when enemies wreck your base. Hell, having your base wrecked is already painful enough; god help the poor player who lets the Party Girl get killed by a Wraith or something.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

That's why it didn't work. One of the Moon Lord's attacks inflicts a debuff that disables health regen completely. Just give up on the idea of tanking him with health regen right now, and start trying to dodge his attacks instead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

This is untrue actually, the nebula armor's buffs still work under his debuf. It' blocks lifesteal, not regen.

No, it definitely shuts down regen. I don't know about the Nebula Armor, but it shuts down everything else - Band of Regeneration, Heart Lanterns, Campfires, and any other buff that relies on your natural health regen working.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Not making all weapons autoswing is still one of Terraria's biggest mistakes ever.

Gonna go against the grain here and say I understand why they did it. Melee autoswing trivializes a lot of the weaker, early-game enemies, and from what I recall I don't think the early-game ranged weapons were autofire either. Having to time my swings to hit things isn't all that difficult in the early game when I'm mostly coming up against zombies, slimes, and bats anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't trivialize anything. You still swing at the same speed. You just have to keep clicking. Autoswing does not make attacking stronger or faster, just less inconvenient.

Autoswing means that you're attacking constantly, so anything that suffers knockback can't touch you. You don't even need to pay attention to some enemies, just hold down the mouse button and let then bounce off your axe till they die - no aiming or timing necessary. With non-autoswing weapons, you don't have that weapon constantly swinging around as a barrier, and you have to actually pay attention and time your attacks for ehen the enemy is in range...or I guess you could hammer on your mouse like a crazy lerson, but it's not the game's fault you're wasting your energy like that. I just don't get it, though - no one complains about bows breaking their hand because they have to click every time they attack.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So has anyone done anything interesting with wiring, since the new update was all about that? I tried to wire up a minecart network in 1.3 but the system was just too limited to really do anything with.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

codo27 posted:

How the gently caress do I do damage. I found this Starfury sword in the clouds but its special effect is too slow and just doesn't deal damage the way I need it to in order to conquer the dungeon guardian or the brain of cthulu. I love the space gun for regular mobs but now that I've upgraded from meteor to crimson armor its using mana which I didn't even pick up on before. Thought it was funny it wasn't using any resources or ammo. This is my first go at expert mode.

Don't play expert mode for your very first playthrough

It is actually kind of hard if you don't know the game already

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Terraria has a lot of game mechanics that you can mostly ignore if you don't want to bother, but that if you exploit and micromanage well allow you to really cheese your way out of the most dangerous situations with ease. Expert mode is there for the munchkins who super-optimize their builds and have the MMO-like reflexes to monitor and renew their collection of buffs constantly.

If you find the game too easy because you can explode the wall of flesh in two seconds with a copper shortsword, then expert mode is for you. Otherwise, you're probably better off forgetting it exists.

There's a button to automatically drink one of every buff potion in your inventory. It's pretty useful.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Expert is for people who've already beaten the game on normal difficulty. It's not too good for anyone who's still on the learning curve.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Then how come we're able to teleport anywhere and everywhere on the map at the drop of a hat? And with no stuttering or lag-loading whatevers?

Because Terraria's engine, as flawed as it is, is at least able to load chunks quickly enough that the player doesn't notice any wait. Chunk-loading stuff is pretty common, it doesn't have to be so slow that the player can walk into unloaded areas.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Expert is really built for people who are already familiar with the game, have already beaten everything, and want a serious challenge to make the game feel hard even after they know what gear to shoot for to cheese any given stage of the game. If you still wanna do it, that's fine, but keep in mind that it'll be a lot more difficult than the last time you played multiplayer - not only does everything have doubled health and damage in Expert, but bosses also get even more increased health depending on the number of players online.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I had no idea that losing source code was so epidemic. I'd heard of it happening, of course, but I always assumed that it was due to legal bullshit, accident/technical failure or just man's infinite neglect. I used to be a (bad) programmer when I was much younger and I still have the source code to AMSs (Asset Management Systems) that I wrote over a decade ago.

Over a long enough period of time, the probability of all of things rapidly approaches 100%. Final Fantasy 7 first came out over twenty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The biome spread isn't that fast, and with hardmode pickaxes it's easy enough to dig gaps to block the spread off if there's anywhere you're particularly concerned about.