Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holy poo poo, Granite Elementals sure as poo poo don't gently caress around. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

God drat invasions are insane. It's largely because I still have early-ish hardmode gear and because I got my goblin army invasion after I'd entered hardmode, but it's still ridiculous how many times I died to the stupid goblin summoner and the pirates. Plus having to kill the pirate ship. Thank god it got stuck on a building and I could bring righteous Hel-Fire yoyo fury upon it. :black101:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Holy poo poo a good yoyo with the yoyo bag is almost OP enough to make me feel bad about using it. :stare:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My 1.2 base (warning: huge):

Near the top you can see the mini-skybridge I made to fight the Twins, bottom right is the origin where I had originally built my base, which I relocated to save NPCs from invasions and subsequently broke down and gave a ruined look. Bottom left is some somewhat detached housing I'd made a while ago to have a separate village, but when I built the sky-bulb/brick mushroom I just moved everyone in there. That gemspark antenna at the top is just on the edge of getting sky enemies appearing, jumping from that top of it and I'm liable to get attacked by harpies or wyverns. :v:

graynull posted:

Is anyone else having problem with trees not growing? I've planted tons of acorns in my snow biome with nothing but open skies and plenty of space around them, but they never seem to grow.

Sometimes the things just won't grow. I've no idea why.

Also, similarly - is anyone else having trouble finding life fruits? I've done three or four expeditions into my underground jungle in my new 1.3 world in hardmode but haven't seen any at all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Are you sure you're not missing a wall anywhere?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mondlicht posted:

Characters are separate from worlds, in the way that if I'm playing single player now I can use this character to pop into multiplayer as well?

Yes, along with everything they carry. That way you can bring stuff from one world to another, and mix corruption and crimson in a world.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I just discovered you can craft together worms with fallen stars to make better bait. This loving game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

Weird. I just found an enchanted blade pit that spawned right in the center of a big tree:

Speaking of big trees, does anybody know why this room is considered invalid?
I've made triple sure that there are no gaps in the walls, and I've manually ripped out and replaced all of the blocks that act as walls.
Does the living wood leaf wall not count as valid background or something?

Valid walls for housing must be player placed. Take down that leaf wall and put up your own and it will work.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly-rear end ice castle I'm making:

There's definitely room for more NPCs but figuring out a decent spatial arrangement is work. :effort:

Also, does corruption overwrite other biomes it spreads over for purposes of angler quests? Because I swear there's a giant ice lake that just won't give up the underwater tundra quest fish.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Have any of you got the Seedler yet? I fished it a few days ago and you can pretty much forget yo-yos, that thing loving wrecks everything on that point of the game (just killed the Twins with it).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

You don't want me to build wooden beams passing through platforms.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did I miss it in the OP or is there a 'newbie guide to quick starting' or something? Like a progression of what to make/get in the beginning of the game? I haven't played in forever and re-downloaded with 1.3. With approximately a billion things to get/make, it's a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

The Guide gives a ton of hints as to what to do when starting out.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

Make one!

Once you beat a Mechanical Boss you get the Steampunker NPC, which sells the Clentaminator. Use it to spread Hallow over a nice patch of forest.

You don't have to wait until you can beat a mechanical boss (which would be a problem on its own). You can just buy hallow seeds from the Dryad and transplant the Hallow to a different part of the forest, and from that point it will start to spread normally.

You can also use the Hallowed Seeds along with Pixie Dust and bottled water to make Holy Water which spreads the hallow to an I think 5-tile radius circle from the point it hits.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

If you want to make a giant plot of corrupt/crimson grass to farm deathweed / evil mushrooms / cool looking trees, however, you should probably think about how to contain it.

Making a bunch of small mini-biomes like I've done here in the sky perfectly insulates them from the world with regards to limiting corruption/crimson/hallow spread:

Though I'm also pretty certain that just keeping it inside a one-block wide wood/brick chamber also insulates it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure that as long as it's not dirt/stone/mud/snow/ice/sand/sandstone it can't spread.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hello I spent half my day turning about a thousand meteorite ore into meteorite bricks and becoming a space captain.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Treasure lamp is cool but its usefulness ends at exactly the point where you no longer need to look for Titanium or Adamantite (and I'm something like 90% certain that fishing for crates is a much more efficient way of getting those than searching around in the underworld).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You can mine meteorite with explosives. Make sticky bombs.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

watho posted:

No it doesn't, it's the only hook that doesn't do that as far as I know and thus the one I like the most. There is the tendon hook if you don't like how the dual hook works.

The fishing accessories didn't take me over 20 quests to get and I got two Nazars on my first trek through the dungeon. Either I'm really lucky or they're not as rare as people think they will be.

Getting the Nazar in 1.2 was the worst thing ever but they've seem to have upped the spawn rate and expert mode helps to even further it.

You are in fact really lucky. A whole bunch of fishing quests, something like 3 pocket guides and 4 weather radios and still no sextant. :argh:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Both the first two worlds I did serious work on had crimson so I developed an attachment for it. I purposefully went for a corruption world when 1.3 kicked in. Overall, I like crimson more, aesthetically, it has a creepy feel that the corruption just doesn't match. The one thing I think corruption does better is the Eater of Worlds/shadow orb arena, but it ends up taking up kinda too large a horizontal space, and like most of corruption is just flat out easier than crimson is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Elaborate pls. I'm a filthy casual

You can hammer blocks to change their shape. First hammering on a regular block will "squish" it to the bottom half of the square it's in. Liquids on the side of the block then create a (purely aesthetic) waterfall effect.

Wyvernil posted:

Meteorite bricks might make a good substitute until then.

Meteorite bricks don't glow on the sides which they are attached to another block on, sadly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Why would ash make the wall an easier target than dirt would?

The Wall places its eyes and mouth between ash blocks so theoretically you could make a corridor that would make the wall stop moving around and/or shove all three damageable parts into a small corridor that would make them easier targets.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

So is there an efficient way to get rid of your old buildings? That 10 story wood tower I made for my first NPC wave is cramping the style of my new home, and I don't really look forward to busting it down with tools.

Explosives!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Medium sounds terrible.

More terrible than hardcore in fact, because at least in hardcore once you die you are finally free.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you build your base away from the origin you can just ignore an invasion, at least until you are better prepared or need to end it to make something else happen.

And if you think goblin invasions are bad just wait until you get pirates.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You could hook the pressure plate to a door that's immediately after the stone blocks so that it opens with them and the room stays a room.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Death Sickle's projectile goes through walls which is Good and Cool. Also autoswing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

Much easier to kill demons in the underworld until one drops the Demon Scythe spell. It tears through the Wall of Flesh something fierce.

You'd have to build a bridge across a large chunk of the underworld if you haven't already though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Kalsco posted:

I'm coming back to this game after a long break (1.1???) and either they've changed everything radically or I just can not deal with this game at all now. Everything in hardmode destroys me. I immediately melt like butter the second I face a boss. I used to be able to kill all of the mechanical bosses, but I drop like a rock. I've got a boss arena (read: numerous levels of wooden platforms suspended well above the ground), cobalt armour, Daedalus with Holy Arrows, a Godly Amarok with a Yoyo Bag, I've tried magic, nothing helps. The closest I've gotten is with Daedalus (nearly killed one of the Twin eyes) but that's about it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just bad at video games?

If it rains fight as many Angry Nimbuses as you can, the staff they drop absolutely wrecks the Destroyer. The Destroyer is also probably the easiest mechanical boss. Also, in my opinion, a couple must-have accessories for all the fights are the Band of Regeneration (for the potion cooldown) and the Star Veil (for the increased invincibility frames after getting hit). Good armour is also obviously very important; Titanium's set bonus is great.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

So let's say I wanted to be truly a douche, and rig some sort of system on the spawn that traps the player inside. How could you go about doing that? Some sort of dynamite rig, maybe actuated walls of a level higher than their pickaxe?

Don't judge me they deserve it.

They'd have to be a mediumcore character, where you'd set up a pressure plate rigged to explosives right under the spawn and some lava under that so that they spawn, die, then have their items drop in lava and disappear. You have to keep that part of the map encased in something so that when they respawn with no equipment they have no way to dig their way out. Though, I think there's a second or two of invincibility frames when a player enters a world.

If they are softcore you could try to make escaping too costly by surrounding the spawn area in two-layered encasement that has lava between the layers so that the player trying to dig their way out has to content with breaching into the lava. Which might be fairly easy to dodge, granted, depending on the amount of lava used and the character loadout (for example if they have a Lava Charm that gives the 7-second lava immunity).

If the spawn is the origin or it doesn't get removed by lava touching it (I don't know how rooms/beds behave in lava) you could of course just submerge that whole thing in lava, though again that's not a guarantee depending on character loadout.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Granite seems to be everyone's favorite building material.

You get plenty from killing granite enemies, and that alone makes it perfectly renewable too. I wish marble could be gathered similarly without having to mine it and destroy the biomes in the process. :(

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I started a new Expert world/new character playthrough yesterday. I got to Eye of Cthulhu today and it ended up kicking my poo poo in. Then I fished a Falcon Blade, got a Crimson Rod, made a full set of Meteorite armour+Space Gun, and got Eye of Cthulhu in the middle of a slime rain and kicked his poo poo in, unexpectedly getting helped by taking invincibility frames from getting hit by slimes for 1 damage. Then after killing the Eye King Slime appeared too and I kicked his poo poo in as well. Such a perfectly timed clusterfuck.

e; And I just got the world's first goblin invasion right after. Christ.

Internet Kraken posted:

With how huge the underground is I'm not sure why you'd ever be worried about marble not being renewable. I mean even if you did somehow run out you could just go to another world and get some marble from there. I'd consider destroying any place medusa can spawn in too be a plus honestly.

It's a bit of an OCD I guess. I just don't particularly like destroying biomes, even if they only contain annoying enemies.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The moment I saw this world's origin was right next to a double cave entrance I knew where I was making my base - even if it's too close to the origin for comfort and even though I knew building it up would mean I'd have to move elsewhere or end up completely destroying the geography to make it work for the final amount of NPCs if I decide I want them all in one place. And even if it means spending too dang long to move the game forward since I still haven't actually fought Brain of Cthulhu but dammit I wanted to make this happen at least as a provisional base and also because I much prefered to take a somewhat slower pace instead of trying to burn through the game progression.

The older all-wood structures are kinda poo poo and don't mesh that well but I'm proud of those smokestacks and the viewport in the Angler's room.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

Could you inform my ignorant self why building close to the origin is bad? Does the original spawn telefrag parts of the building away if you die without a bed spawn/you use it for multiplayer? As for having to move out, would bolting on the 20ish rooms total for NPC houseing just be too bulky for what you are going for?

It does look pretty nice though. I am a sucker for cool cabins in these games.

Others mentioned the invasions and if I wanted to build more here I could definitely do it underground between the surface and the cave, but that wouldn't feel entirely too right too me and it would still be quite tight as far as space goes unless I put everyone tight and I already feel bad that all my NPCs essentially just get a regular-rear end chair and table (with the exception of the fireplaces) in a smallish rectangle. Alternatively I could build upwards or along the surface, but then I'd lose the whole deal going on in this with building a base out of the landscape (the cabins have already compromised that somewhat).

I think I might do a proper village somewhat further away with separate houses and lamp posts instead of putting them all in different rooms in the same housing complex.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Of course, not having it at your origin point (or one of the ends of the world) leaves you with the possibility of one of the moon pillars spawning right on top of you.

That's what happened with two of the NPC stations I built in my first 1.3 world. One's because I built it over a lake right outside the dungeon entrance, the other was an ice castle that just happened to have the poo poo luck of being built right next to a pillar spawn point. :suicide:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?

Series of platforms is better for Skeletron Prime I think. One of the reasons being that the bombs one of the arms throws only explodes when it hits a block so that arm is useless. Other than that, killing off the melee hands is important, and if you get him down to just the head it's all smooth sailing from there on.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you fail to kill the hardmode bosses when they spawn randomly at night, do they show up again or do you have to summon them with an item at that point?

They'll keep harassing you every now and then until you defeat them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Gold or plat can dig up crimson/ebonstone blocks, which I believe the others cant. There's tiers beyond that of course, but you have to beat a boss or two before you can access them.

Crimstone and Ebonstone, no, Crimtane and Demonite ore, yes. Tungsten picks can also dig those I think, or maybe just meteorite. In any case you get a much better source of Crimtane and Demonite by killing the first boss than by looking for them underground, any veins are rare as hell and always only contain at most 3 or 4 blocks.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tias posted:

Okay, so, just to be clear - I CAN just bomb things that my pickaxe won't bite and get usable ore?

Yes. Not everything is bombable I think, but most things you'll care about enough to bomb (like meteorite) are. Just remember to make sticky explosives for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

That is excellent.

TWIST FIST posted:

I've been digging out "islands" that are separated from all other blocks by 3 empty spaces and then cleaning them, that stops the corruption from spreading to those.

I am decently certain it needs to be a fair bit more than 3 tiles of distance for those things to not spread.