Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey I just started playing this game because I've owned it for like years and have only played 10-ish minutes of it prior to today. It's pretty fun and chill. There are a poo poo ton of materials and I have no idea what any of them do but I'm slowly figuring it out as I go.

Here is my lowly First House Ever. I am considering adding a second floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wil do. I am currently swinging around a cactus that I made out of other felled cacti, which while it is funny, is not very useful. I'm assuming to get NPCs to move in all I have to do is have a free house-shaped-prison house for them and fulfill the requirements for them showing up, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a "massive" cactus sword too, so it's like more than twice as big as my dude.

I got killed by a granite dude, but that led me to discover the chillest shroom zone. Down here I have so far killed a bat which dropped a depth meter and a random skeleton with a mining hat that dropped a bone pickaxe. I feel like a real badass.

edit: holy poo poo this bone pickaxe is nuts, it's got the "murderous" modifier so it swings really fast. I am mining at speeds yet unseen in my Terraria experience :stare:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Significant progress has been made. My trip through the mushroom caves brought me much phat loot and now I have a merchant! I feel very proud of this accomplishment. I am moving up in the Terraria world.

edit: Question, torches seem a bit wimpy in the light they produce (I mean look at the light in those houses), will I be able to craft torches that give off more light at some point? Or should I do some renovations and just make some background wall windows?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't messed with explosives yet because I'm afraid of blowing myself up, but I've got a pretty big stockpile sitting around so I may as well use them for some mining or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hey so a Nurse moved into my little apartment complex, but on her way there she seems to have decided to take a dip in the nearby pond and got stuck. She's just sitting here throwing arrows (?) at nothing and getting healed for 10 hp every tick so she cannot drown. I can talk to her, but she won't move. What do I... do about this?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

Try digging her a ramp out of the pool, on the side of her house. I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try. She won't be able to jump up that cliff edge.
It's possible that she's just stuck because she's too busy healing herself, in which case try draining the pond.

It was the latter, she stood around in the water too long or something and ran out of air, so she started healing herself, but because she was drowning her health was going down as fast as she was healing it. :downs:

flowinprose posted:

Build a house she can live in, assign it to her, and then move far away off screen at night and she will respawn inside her house.

I did this and it worked, thanks. An interesting little quirk, that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Grenades don't destroy blocks and, as far as I remember, they're great for combat too so give those a shot. If you happen to gently caress up and throw one, at least you won't have to worry about breaking anything. You might kill yourself but that happens, it's fine.

Oh! What sized world did you make?

I went with small because I remember it still being pretty big. Having seen it, I'm glad I did because I cannot imagine how big a large-sized one has to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:stonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad you are enjoying my trip reports, I really like this game. Initially I think the reason I didn't stick with it is because the beginning is pretty slow, but once it gets going it doesn't slow back down.

I am making progress on my housing project, a couple new NPCs have moved in. The gunsmith dude appears to be macking on the nurse and I don't know if I approve of this fraternization.

Forums user and good friend of mine Blind Sally showed me his fuckin nuts world and all his sick endgame stuff including a popemobile with lasers that can mine faster than anything I've ever seen, so now I know what I have to look forward to in the future.

Question: Is there a way to make trees grow faster? I don't much care for sitting around waiting for them to grow so I can have more wood to expand my houses.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

Create new worlds and go on a mass deforestation campaign.

That works for me! And that's interesting, I'd never considered the possibility of making new worlds with my same character just for mining more resources. I'll have to keep that in mind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool, and I assume lead is just the alternate version of iron? This world I made for tree harvesting has lead instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Now we're cooking! I fought cthulu('s eye) and got phat demonite piles, then went all the way to the left and found a dungeon that appears to be between a fuckmillion and infinity feet deep, and I made some cool Megaman X-looking armor. I also fought a bigass skeleton. Even though I didn't get much for it, defeating cthulu's eye was pretty rewarding because it felt like I really earned it through using all the poo poo I've accumulated so far.

Now I need to decorate the houses of all my new inmates villagers.

edit: Regarding the skeleton, I think I might have fought it early? In front of the dungeon there was an old man and I picked 'curse' which I assumed would be "talk about a curse that exists in this dungeon that you are standing right in front of", but I guess my guy instead cursed him. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, I won, so v:v:v

Once I took out the arms it seemed completely defenseless so I just wailed on it. I also used the hidden secret technique passed down through many generations known as "running the gently caress away" when I got low on health. I will explore the corrupted area some more once I'm done loving around in the dungeon.

AnimalChin posted:

Why did I wait so long to get into this game?

I too, just started a couple days ago and I'm having fun figuring things out (reading the wiki).

CJacobs buildings look so much better than mine.

And I keep getting killed by swarms of enemies if I wander off a bit from my spawn point. :mad:
Combat is my only complaint, really so far. It feels so clunky and frustrating, even with the broadsword attack arc. Flaming arrows are pretty sweet though.

edit: my poo poo is ghetto as gently caress compared to CJacobs :(

My houses look good pretty much by accident so don't feel too bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The eater of worlds is terrifying and it hosed me up hard! :stonk:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Came back better prepared and kicked its rear end. :c00l:

Now I look like a huge badass in my ninja/shadow armor combo. So uh, now what do I do to advance the game state? I have officially run out of direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: :siren:I have been attacked by goblins!:siren:

I don't know how I caused this to happen but I defeated them and nobody died so I am pleased.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A meteor fell but I think it might have hit a floating island? Can that happen? I combed the ground over my whole world and I couldn't find it anywhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Yes, it can! :madmax:

Fuuuuuuckkk

dis astranagant posted:

They can also land down the bottom of the corruption chasms, or even out in the ocean.

Crap. Well I guess it's time to check everywhere then.

Also, house update:

Still need to redecorate. Waiting for more occupants. A painter lives in the bottom rightmost house but he likes to just wander off sometimes for some reason.

edit: I feel like the clothier's portrait of himself (?) is a bit narcissistic but I'm willing to let him keep it as long as he doesn't turn into a skeleton again.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Found it, I didn't realize that the world continued past the dungeon since I had never tried to climb over it before. :downs:

dis astranagant posted:

But the skeleton has nice drops you probably didn't get since they're something like 1 in 7 each.

The only way to keep npcs from wandering around is to make something like this:

Those poor computer people and their adhd :(

edit: oh poo poo meteorite sets you on fire :supaburn:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Success! I am now set for life (or at least for a while) on meteorite bars.

DoubleNegative posted:

Do you have any obsidian? You can use a few pieces to make a skull trinket which will prevent you from being set on fire.

I wish I'd refreshed this thread before spending like an hour tiptoeing around it with sand!

edit: what the hell is a hamaxe, how does that make sense

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

in hell, send help

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I HAVE MADE MISTAKES :stonk:

edit:

On the third try, mistake corrected :c00lbert:

Although the game said something about hard mode so I think this might have been a bad idea.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

benzine posted:

Keep the updates, want to see your first nights at hardmode

:ohdear: So what changed? What do I do now?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You aren't kidding! I am now getting pretty much relentlessly mauled by wolves. Apparently the corrupted areas can spread now, what can I do about that? Do I have to emulate our lord and savior President Trump and just build a big-rear end wall?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My house appears to unfortunately be right in between the stripes it generated. The water all around the surrounding area is a nice healthy purple color now. :cripes:

I will look for some altars to smash.

edit: aaaaa I just went under my house and the tunnels underneath are already full of purple gunk shiiiiit piiiiissss

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I broke a ton of the altars. The monsters appear to be significantly more riled up now that I'm in hardmode but I'm a huge badass so it was no big issue. :clint:

I'm assuming now I should be a) building more houses for all these drat NPCs I'm probably about to meet and b) finding these new ores that I've just magic-ed in.

edit: :siren:I now have a sick-rear end chainsaw:siren:

edit again: Aww it's a tool what the gently caress. Ah well at least I have a bunch of palladium left over. I got lucky and some spawned like right outside the tunnels next to my house.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MIMICS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ensuing threat of gross purple and/or shiny happy destruction of my pretty house has messed up my concentration. I'm kind of bummed that there's essentially nothing I can do about it. On the bright side I have cool armor now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AnimalChin posted:

All I have is copper armor and an iron broadsword and I just get my rear end kicked all the time please help.

edit: Oh god cjacobs is doing so well and I am doing so terrible this is embarrassing.

For what it's worth, I am also freaking out now. Especially because the corruption just happened to spawn directly beneath my house when I went to hard mode! :suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I was invaded by pirates and they are presently owning the poo poo outta me. I do not feel I had time to adequately prepare for the violation I am currently experiencing.

edit: Well I fended them off. I don't seem to have even gotten anything out of this experience, it was just annoying. :geno:

I mean, I got an eyepatch and a trophy for blowing up the flying dutchman, so that's something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, a couple gold apiece is not bad. I haven't found very many uses for money though so far, so I'm not sure how valuable coins really are.

edit: It did net me my first platinum coin though so that's something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess I'll keep coveting my gold then. I haven't found the tinkerer yet, but then I haven't been underground very much since going to hardmode because everything is fucksville now. I did find a cutlass on the ground that I guess dropped from a pirate or the ship, and it's surprisingly effective, so I'll take that as my real reward for persevering.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god this game has brown recluses. Sorry Stylist but it looks like I will never acquire your services. :(

Casa de Jacobs update:

After freeing the Tinkerer (he was in the dungeon) I did some expanding to give him a place to live. Thanks to the recent pirate invasion my NPCs are all over the drat place but I'm too lazy to go out at night and reset their positions. I have completed a loop going under the house so that I don't have to spend the extra time jumping over the thing every time I just want to pass by. I think it's starting to shape up into a pretty nice place!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh yeah, CJacobs have you considered building an arena? Pre-hardmode it's not really necessary but it helps quite a bit in hardmode.

It doesn't have to be anything super fancy, mine are just 3/4 of a screen length of wooden platforms, repeated a few times vertically. Here's my gimmick ranged weapons only character/world for example:

It's bigger than I normally make because mobility ended up being kind of important when I couldn't take a hit worth poo poo, but you get the idea. It'll take all of maybe 15 minutes to set up but having a controlled environment to kill bosses or do events in makes a world of difference. After you have it set up, scatter some campfires or heart statues as you please, throw down any buffing stations you feel like and you're pretty much set. Fighting bosses or events on your own terms makes a world of difference.

Sweet, I'll find some space and try this out. Maybe next time I get a pirate invasion it won't be such a shitfest.

Wrist Watch posted:

e:
also I'm insanely jealous of your building skills, my stuff invariably ends up looking like garbage

You have no idea how upset I was when that furnace at the top-middle of the screen didn't fit perfectly in that little closet I made. Thankfully my picture-takin' platform gelled nicely with my compromise. :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Looking pretty respectable! You might wanna look at the furniture you can make now because there're tons of variants of sofas and beds and stuff. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Furniture

what the hell how is there so much content in this game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I found a yoyo called Amarok in the snow biome just after going to hard mode and it's served me pretty well, only having been just usurped by the cutlass I got from the pirates. Blind Sally also gave me one but I shelved it because it felt like cheating early on. v:v:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I decided to learn how to make mods for this game. The code for tmodloader and the code for the vanilla game are both an absolute nightmare but it's very rewarding to get something working right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is, yes. There's also a pretty funny lack of foresight on the devs' part in regards to the naming of armor items. In the vanilla game files, armor is just named "Armor_(ID #)_(body part)", so "Armor_1_Head", et cetera. The problem is that they made male and female body parts use different sprite sheets instead of combining them, so all of the female armors are named "Female_Body_1" and so on. :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Basically they made 2 files for every arm, body, head, and legs for some reason when they only needed one, and then because of that they had to name them in a silly way to bubblegum-and-duct-tape their way to victory.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

You're aware that wearing all three parts of a set of armor gets you additional bonuses, right?

Yes, the ninja suit and the cape are in my vanity slots.