Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The hard mode blood moon is not so bad compared to the pirate invasion! I picked up a mechanical eye from an eye monster and it says it "Summons the twins" so I'm assuming that's the next boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

House Jacobs update: I had to build an emergency guest house because some new people showed up! I found myself in hell and encountered Gehrman from Bloodborne, and I couldn't figure out what to do to get him to be friendly so I looked it up (:sweatdrop:). Then I found Hunter S Thompson going for a nice relaxing fish right next to the jungle that is now swarming with spiders. Also, a pirate moved in!

The renovations are going fairly nicely, I'm trying to give each person a room that fits them. Doing all the chairs/tables last because I don't want them to suddenly move out of their own houses before I'm done fixing them up.

edit: Also you might notice that I braved Spiderville to save the stylist, because I was getting tired of looking at my character's Goku hair. I tunneled straight down in from the surface and that turned out to be a bad idea because now they can leave and come up above ground. :suicide:

King Doom posted:

Oooooooh, when you summon the twins be sure to do before, during and after posts to keep us updated!

Will do, I'm assuming I am going to get owned hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pretty much finished decorating for now. I am about to go somewhere safe and summon the twins! God help me I guess.

edit: Oh I can only do it at night. Well then I guess I'll wait.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well I got my rear end handed to me and then they flew away. I noticed before I got slaughtered that they have upwards of 20,000+ health so I have no idea how I'm supposed to fight them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's a good way to get started with farming materials for making potions? I haven't bothered with that at all since I got so much stuff from chests underground etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am looking forward to fighting a whole new generation of assholes.

Cat Mattress posted:

You should have gathered some seeds while exploring various places. Buy some planters from the dryad (they're like platforms but with grass growing on them), create a greenhouse building, lay some planters and plant your seeds.

Here's my ghetto setup:

Note the two rows of chests: one for seed, one for plant. The item frames above are a helpful reminder in case the themed chests aren't explicit enough. Above the safe and piggy, the item frame contains a staff of regrowth which is useful for harvesting.

Next, you'll want a few fishing cabins in the various biomes that have useful fish species for alchemy. My recommendation is to make a teleporter network to get there quickly. Here's my sky fishing cabin, which the party girl decided to squat:

The seaside beach resort and fishing lodge (for some reason the pirate captain spends all his time neck deep in the saltwater, he's a big weirdo this way):

The shroom cabin:

And the corruption cabin, next to my fleshhouse of horrors. The world is naturally a Crimson world, this corruption was created artificially by purifying a stretch of crimson, then planting some corrupt seeds imported from another world. On the other side of the crimson crevice I dumped tons of mud to create my aboveground shroom biome, and then I created both lakes.

The chasm was created with tons of surplus explosives with the idea of making a barrier to prevent corruption/crimson from extending further as well as having a convenient way to go way, way down pretty quickly. (It eventually ends in an underground hallow area.)

Anyway the point is that each cabin has a convenient teleporter pad so that I can move quickly from the base to a biome home. (I haven't finished my network, personally, the various underground fishing lodges are still accessible by railway instead of teleporters.) Most alchemy materials are from plants or fish, so having done these things will make sure you can get most materials quickly. Putting a safe and a piggy bank in each cabin/biome relay is also always helpful.

Cool, I will attempt all this and see if I can get a potion farm going!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Acne Rain posted:

It's been several pages of newbie help, so forgive me if I mention something that has been mentioned:

I was having trouble with the hardmode bosses for forever until I found the low level strategies on youtube from Demize and yrimir, which showed you could beat these bosses yourself with some proper strategies and not glitch exploitation or grinding 1000 hours for the best gear. (The holiday armies are still unbeatable, however)

The destroyer is the one to go for first, he's easy once you have a strat that deals with his probes and all that. It's shown in the vids.

Just cutting the crap and showing you who has useful info instead of the guy from the thread title who is "charmingly inept" or the whiny baby who cried on air or poo poo like that, it's really hard to find people who actually do things well on youtube sometimes.

Thank you, these guys have very helpful videos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update: While making my planting room, this chill guy wandered in. I am slightly perturbed by his presence and I don't know why he's here but I am willing to tolerate him. In case you can't tell what it is: It's a frickin goldfish walking around on two legs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The goldfish stopped walking and started flopping around once the rain stopped so I gave him a permanent home to keep him from dying. You wandered into a place with no water, buddy, it's at least partially your fault!

So hey, planter boxes. How do they work?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My daybloom does not appear to be dayblooming, it just stays as those little sprouts. Maybe I just haven't waited long enough yet.

Either way, I now have a full suit of palladium armor (which is hidden underneath Not Gehrman's clothes, which I bought from the Clothier)! I just gotta get this gardening thing down so I can make some regen potions and then I am ready for my rematch.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's worth noting that the Twins are probably the hardest mechanical boss. In my expert game I was only able to beat them with a world-spanning railway.

:suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

While I'm waiting for my plants to grow I am taking a trip down memory lane with my leftover boss summoning items. It's surprising how much of a jump there is between normal and hard mode, this guy is pretty easy comparatively!

My plants still have not grown. Do I need to space them out vertically more or is one block height of free space enough?

edit: Oh poo poo, one has started to sprout! This is exciting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Solumin posted:

Put the fishbowl on your head :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

Oh poo poo!

edit: Lol the fish swim at a thousand miles an hour thanks to my Frostspark Boots.

Bluemillion posted:

Sometime before you defeat the hardmode jungle boss (Not the bee) you should kill a bunch of cursed skulls in the Dungeon to get a Nazar. The Nazar renders you immune to curses, and is used to craft a VERY powerful endgame item. It's a lot easier to get one in the first version of the dungeon.

Will do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Greetings, humans, it is I CJacobs. I am here with my completely normal head and not at all strange bat wings to show you that my flowers have started to grow:

Apparently it just takes a while longer than I thought.

I also took a half-hour or so to organize all my poo poo because before this it was a completely random mess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night is falling. It is almost time for the rematch of the century (or at least the next couple hours of gameplay). Standing at the foot of my own grave, a reminder of my past humiliation, I look to my pet baby penguin for a pep-talk. It says nothing, and I'm pretty sure it's just following me because it wants my fish anyway. Equipped with palladium armor, a cool-rear end gun, and a yoyo, I await the sunset.

The battle was long and difficult, and I'm kinda glad I made those bat wings because otherwise I would have been totally hosed.

Things got hairy a few times, but eventually I whittled them down...

And I won! So that's one hard mode boss down. :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

You can plant Daybloom seeds in the planters or regular ground to get them faster. The purple flowers aren't daybloom, they're just weeds.

Oh, I know, I just don't have many seeds right now. Those little sprouts are seeds I planted. Thankfully each harvest brings a bajillion more seeds thanks to the flower-on-a-stick of regrowth or whatever it's called.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Here, lemme post mine to cheer you up

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

Oh, the 1.3 one is actually outdated.

I like the rooftop terrace thing you have going on with the fences! I am definitely not stealing it for use in my own base :ninja:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: oops, quote is not edit

Wanted to try my hand at a spiral staircase. It turned out pretty well!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh that doesn't sound good

UH OH

SHIIIIT PIIIIIIISSSS

It didn't kill me thanks to my sick demon wings, but I wasn't able to damage it enough before dawn and it flew away and despawned. How the hell am I supposed to kill a boss that has 80,000 health??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jusupov posted:

With something that pierces multiple parts. I think I usually kill it with the phasesaber for the first time.

Oh, I hadn't considered that. I will make sure to prepare myself for future Destroyer appearances in that case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zoomed-out view of The CJacobs Home For The Mentally Incompetent. I put a bigass tower because every cool base has a tower. Next I'm gonna build wings off of the sides of the tower to add some more structural integrity and finish up with the NPC living spaces. I also need to make windows for the tower because what is a high-rear end room without a good view?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spergminer posted:

1.3.1 in 2 days, too.

Oh, cool, I picked a good time to start playing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

how are y'all taking such big screenshots? i wanna share my house too

The screenshot tool lets you pin two opposite corners, and the 'take SNAPshot' button (not take SCREENshot) will capture anything inbetween the two pins as one concurrent image. So fly to the top left corner of your base, enter cam mode, and place one pin. Then go all the way to the bottom right corner, place the other pin, and take the snapshot!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Sweet, I forgot that was a button on my menu. Here's a shot of my cliffside mountain base and surrounding area. I'm gonna turn that space between the cliff and wood fort into an arena:

I've built a railway across the surface to either side of the world. The left side isn't much to look at. I've drained the ocean and am going to turn that into a base of some sort. Meanwhile, the one to the right I've turned a small station with an underground and underwater viewing tunnel. It's, uh, good for looking at sharks safely:

:woop: Seeing this in person as my first Terraria experience ever was pretty nuts!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bluhman posted:

And on a completely different game I did something similar, and built a purely cosmetic village for my dudes to live in:

This is cool as hell.

Leonyth posted:

Just wanna say that tower is super cool and I really like the spiral stair thing you made. I never thought of using platforms like that so it seems really clever to me. Also enjoying the ongoing journeys going on in the thread.

Thanks, I've done a bit of decoration since that post but nothing noteworthy as I spent most of the day yesterday landscaping my own yard instead of my Terraria yard. :shepface:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

Where do images get saved? I can't find where my base shot is.

Click on the folder icon on the camera menu, it takes you right to it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU

Current thread theme song

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

This will be useful on my next character/world! Thanks Terraria devs! This is looking like a pretty good update so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

JFC just admit that your stupid joke fell flat and go on with your day.

That's not even the guy that made the joke?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

graynull posted:

Cennxx just tweeted a 1.3.2 feature which sounds very nice; Chest Sorting. I've not dived into 1.3.1 yet (busy with other games and waiting for mods to update) but 1.3.2 talk already is interesting.

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/738438013756280832

Oh thank christ. Consider me pumped already.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ashsaber posted:

What, poo poo, did they change that? gently caress, why even do that?

Being able to completely skip every event and cooldown limit in the game, guaranteed, based on items that are only obtainable by getting lucky, is not real good game design.

edit: The quest/fishing stuff isn't very good design-wise either, but the solution to bad gameplay is to fix what's bad about it, not leave in more bad gameplay that happens to counter it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo all of the ultra-rare drops like the Lucky Coin etc are just way, way, way too rare. I think there should be a balance between item rarity and incentive to take the time it would take to get the rare thing, and right now only a small number of the highest-rarity-tier items have that balance set right. iirc the wiki says it'd take an average of 40 pirate invasions to get one lucky coin.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Caught the bug again, made a new world/character.

Time to play terraria for a thousand million hours again :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those are sometimes quite funny puns. My favorite is "I wanna be the guide".