Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You know all the furniture the pirates dropped? You should check how much it sells for with your merchant, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Outside of the few toys available for purchase gold is mostly useful for reforging things to get better prefixes with the goblin tinkerer. There is an npc in hardmode though that sells a gun for a pretty penny that can remove/replace biomes, so you can spray hallow everywhere or fix corruption spreading to areas you don't want it.

Gold isn't super useful tbh but the few times you need it you'll usually find you want as much as you can get.

e:

dis astranagant posted:

Have you found the goblin tinkerer yet? He'll gladly take your money to reroll your accessories (you want warding on every slot). You can also do that with weapons but get good accessories first.
Warding is really good but the game isn't so difficult, outside of expert mode, that you need it on everything. The attack up prefixes are nice, and while I wouldn't reforge for it the movement speed prefixes are noticeable enough that I feel slow unless I have one.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 18, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh yeah, CJacobs have you considered building an arena? Pre-hardmode it's not really necessary but it helps quite a bit in hardmode.

It doesn't have to be anything super fancy, mine are just 3/4 of a screen length of wooden platforms, repeated a few times vertically. Here's my gimmick ranged weapons only character/world for example:

It's bigger than I normally make because mobility ended up being kind of important when I couldn't take a hit worth poo poo, but you get the idea. It'll take all of maybe 15 minutes to set up but having a controlled environment to kill bosses or do events in makes a world of difference. After you have it set up, scatter some campfires or heart statues as you please, throw down any buffing stations you feel like and you're pretty much set. Fighting bosses or events on your own terms makes a world of difference.

Also pro-tip: if you hammer a wooden platform a few times it flips orientation allowing you to hang banners off of them, which you can't do otherwise.

e:
also I'm insanely jealous of your building skills, my stuff invariably ends up looking like garbage

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CJacobs posted:

Sweet, I'll find some space and try this out. Maybe next time I get a pirate invasion it won't be such a shitfest.

Pirate/Goblin invasions are unique in that they occur at your house and if you go too far away they won't actually spawn, but aside from bosses an arena's still useful for stuff like solar eclipses, a third type of invasion that owns and is related to endgame where things go a bit crazy so I won't spoil it, and the pumpkin/frost moon events.

Pumpkin moon and frost moon are events you have to manually trigger and are basically just waves of enemies/bosses that come at you. Maybe look up how to trigger them later, it's not really something you can deal with until you're approaching endgame.

You'll uh ... probably guess when you start getting to endgame because poo poo gets amazing and I'm saying that in the context of this game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The trick to expert mode is that it's only tolerable if you can play it with a friend or two.

Expert mode solo is an exercise in frustration and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody with less than a hundred hours in the game already. Everything hits you like a loving freight train on steroids, and every single boss basically requires a fully kitted out arena and so many buffs that a herb garden is basically mandatory. Expert mode practically demands mastery of the base game and there's really no reason to touch it beforehand unless you're particularly masochistic.

If that sounds like your cup of tea then go right ahead, different strokes for different folks, just because I'm obviously biased doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it. Personally, besides for bragging rights I think the difficulty of the base game is challenging enough that a single mistake costing me half my health isn't really worth doubled drop rates (2% instead of 1% for anything worth caring about) and the other few goodies you get.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

watho posted:

Expert mode is really fun but there's nothing wrong with not liking it. :shobon:

That's fair enough and like I said I can totally understand other people digging it but to me terraria is a game where you play as a dude dropped in a world where things slowly go absolutely batshit insane with world devouring elder gods so expert mode completely baffles me because all I want to do is fail at building houses that don't look like rear end before getting distracted and going spelunking in various biomes and expert mode, probably rightfully if I'm going to be completely honest since starting characters have no place in underground ice or jungle biomes, hands me my rear end on a silver platter for doing so.

What really turns me off about expert mode is that my experience with the game feels required instead of rewarded. Like in most games a good hard mode makes you feel like you earned your success because you're either skillful enough or know how to game the system in your favor, in terraria it just feels like every single possible thing that's possible for you to do to swing things in your favor is just required for you to not get wrecked. Like, normally some combination of flight/an arena/buffs makes things less painful and I'd say at least one of the three is basically required, but expert mode made me feel like not having a single one of those things made fights just as hard as if I had none of them in normal mode.

I dunno, it's late and I'm just rambling at this point. Like I said, I can get why other people might like the extra challenge but as a dude who likes making lovely houses and spelunking expert mode is practically unplayable for me.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

God Bless You

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What do you mean by homeworld? Like, a base world you always come back to after exploring other ones?

Terraria's meant to be played in a single world you generate from start to finish, I've got like 300 hours in this game and have never used a map program to make sure my world has certain things because it ultimately doesn't matter. You can dip over to other worlds to see if they have other stuff your world might not have like pyramids or giant trees, but there's literally no other reason to jump worlds unless you really need a bunch of wood and don't feel like waiting for acorns to grow or something. I'd honestly recommend against having more than one world starting out, it's pretty unnecessary.

I mean, I guess you could have a "homeworld" where you make your huge planned village or whatever and never activate hardmode, but there's still nothing to look for unless you really want a giant tree or a pyramid. Even then, you could just artificially create those wherever you wanted anyway.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

graynull posted:

Cennxx just tweeted a 1.3.2 feature which sounds very nice; Chest Sorting. I've not dived into 1.3.1 yet (busy with other games and waiting for mods to update) but 1.3.2 talk already is interesting.

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/738438013756280832

:hawaaaafap:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Until you exit the world or leave the game, unless they've dropped in lava of course. There's no need to pick them up periodically or anything.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So before in 1.3 when I needed to make a bunch of water somewhere because there was no good fishing lake in a biome, I'd place blocks like so:
   X
X     X

with a couple more layers as needed and just spam right click until I had enough. This doesn't work since the update. Is there no other way to dupe liquids besides pumps now? With all the QOL improvements they've made the last few updates it really sucks that there's an entire mechanic based around fishing but having a large enough lake isn't guaranteed so you have to manually haul water across the map.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Spergminer posted:

Make one end of your lake like this:

X
X
X \
X X
X X X X X X X

For some reason the diagonal block sometimes "divides" water like the old setup would, you just put your mouse above the \ and time your clicks so the water falls a bit down, but you catch the stuff on top.

Alternatively, do fisherquests and get the infinite water bucket.

Dareon posted:

I think full-on stairs coupled with infinite pumps will still work.

I ended up just cheating an infinite water bucket into my inventory. There's literally no good aboveground lakes in the world I'm in and waiting until hardmode for a 1/70 chance at an item to fix that isn't my idea of fun. Fishing's at a weird place where it's really tedious and annoying, yet balanced in that the stuff you can get out of it is super progression breaking if you want to take the time to fish that ocean pick or stock up on crates. The angler npc is kind of the only bottleneck with his once per day restriction and terrible reward rates, but you can do all the progression breaking stuff without him so :shrug:

I'd really like to know how they thought it was a good idea to have a npc that only lets you complete his quest every fifteen minutes in real time, but still has quest reward rates at 1/40 at the minimum for anything worth getting. Like, there's 41 possible rewards from the Angler. If you wanted one of each that's just over ten straight hours of fishing. Even taking out money/potion/bait rewards that still comes out to eight straight hours of fishing at the bare minimum, and that's assuming you get a unique item every time. Even if all you're trying to do is get stuff for the PDA, doing the least possible fishing, you're still looking at like two or three hours unless you somehow land three consecutive 1/40 rewards in a row.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how I put up with this when I did it before. I'm going to guess some combination of playing with someone else so we could pool our efforts and also getting drunk might have helped

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

way to go steve posted:

I would imagine (and hope) that you weren't spending a full fifteen minutes on each fishing quest. I imagine it's an easier pill to swallow if you're just spending a minute or two when you happen to be swinging by base. I've only done one fishing quest though, but it didn't seem too onerous. I've been avoiding fishing until I at least get to hardmode, I don't really want to sequence break my first playthrough since 1.1.

Like you said, doing the quest if you've got your lakes set up properly takes all of what, three minutes max? But as other people mentioned, you have to wait the full fifteen minutes until the next quest is available unless you cheat, so it's still accurate. There's no reason to really want one of each reward as most of them are cosmetic stuff, but at 15 minutes per quest it adds up to Way Too loving Long.

Even given that it's not like getting the stuff you need for the PDA for example is impossible. My friend and I managed to make two PDAs when we played together, but that was over the course of a couple weeks and also really wasn't our main focus. It also helped that we had some outright stupid luck when we were playing. The very first drop I got from a mothron that run was a godly eye of cthulhu and I got three more godly ones by accident, while my friend found I poo poo you not no less than five blessed apples. I think all the bad luck I've had in the couple hundred hours I've sunk in this dumb game got cashed in that world.

I think what it comes down to in the end is that Terraria forces a different experience each casual playthrough by having terrible drop rates. You always have crafted gear to fall back on should the rng particularly hate your character, so in a normal experience you go around making things that can more than suffice and use the odd weird unique items you'll pick up here and there. Stuff like the dozen hooks you can craft/find mean the days of waiting for a skeleton to drop a hook are over, and that's definitely a Good Thing.

It just breaks down completely if you know what's available and want to go in a direction that's not "use all available stuff at your current tier interchangeably". I'm on the verge of effortposting about Terraria at this point so I'll stop, but this is one of those games where the majority of the game is good so the little things that suck really stick out.

Tldr: I hate this game sometimes but I can't stop playing it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'll give that I'm being way too goony about the game and it's a hyper specific thing you'd never encounter normally unless you're getting particularly :spergin: about the game but I still feel it's a valid point that fishing stands out as feeling like an especially egregious' time sink if you actually try to aim for any particular thing on the rewards table

e: you know what nevermind I'm just going to quit while I'm behind since I'm alone in thinking like this apparently

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 13, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You can't say "people like fishing so you someone disliking it doesn't make it bad" and then in literally the same post talk about how you think a thing other people like is useless so it's bad. Generalizations work both ways, dude.

I agree on the inventory thing though, I have no idea how people manage to get stacks worth of dirt every time they go exploring. For a game with so many pickaxes you really don't need to actually dig areas out most of the time, the tunnels in this game will lead you to more than enough ores. You might need to dig a little to get to the next series of tunnels or if your path to hell is too meandering or something, but nothing that should be landing you with that much dirt unless you literally go around tossing dynamite at tiny ore veins.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mzbundifund posted:

... you mean you don't do this?

I'll dig out tiny ones, but for big ones sometimes I forget I have explosives on me and by the time I remember I've already dug half of it out. I stopped keeping explosives on my hotbar after accidentally blowing up my house one too many times.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

watho posted:

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless.

What pointless weapons in a regular world are more useful in expert? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

Terraria has like, one weapon that behaves the way you're talking about in the sniper rifle, and you have to complete literally 80% of the game to get it. No other weapon has enough of a difference between attack speed and damage to be worth prioritizing over something in the same weapon category that has a higher attack stat.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

King Doom posted:

What the gently caress did they do to all the existing saves? all mine are gone!

Edit: It's all gone. 621 hours of playing all wiped out for no reason.

If you go to my documents/my games/terraria do you still have stuff in your Players and Worlds folders? Maybe it's just looking in the wrong place somehow?

That's the only thing I can think of. Sucks if you really lost everything, man. :( I'm going to back my folder up just in case before updating now.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm honestly surprised The Bees Knees never got nerfed. I don't like expert mode so I haven't tried it there to see how it fares, but in normal that thing can basically carry you all the way into hardmode which is kind of amazing for how early you can get it with the most basic arena imaginable.

Only needing the cheapest ammo possible means you'll always have enough, and the hit you take by not using the slightly stronger arrows is more than made up for by the swarm of bees you release on command that shred bosses and regular enemies alike. It owns.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 17, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

codo27 posted:

Yes I can understand the dodging strategy and I already use the Shield of Cthulu, its just discouraging that I do so little damage. I still haven't found a hive biome so I guess thats next.

They're pretty easy to find, just keep an eye out for honey/honeycomb and you should run into one before too long.

Queen Bee is probably the simplest boss in the game, and hives are practically premade arenas. Three sets of wood platforms maybe eight blocks apart vertically with a campfire in the middle is good enough. You don't need horizontal movement, just vertical really. If you have a hook, you can take a dip in the honey at the bottom for better health regen if you need it.

Keep an eye out for Shark Tooth Necklaces during blood moons too, as the armor penetration helps bees massacre enemies even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The biggest problem with those is that they don't differentiate flying or hovering with navigating natural terrain changes.

Basically, sucks to be you if there's a cliff, mountain, or lake nearby that you need to get around.