Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

oddium posted:

work in progress

the switch on the tree pulls back a grave for fun time skeleton alchemy :unsmigghh:

That's so cool. What's the back wall you have there in the skeleton alchemy room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Swords are defensive. Use em to swat down projectiles and take out weak fast moving flyers like bats. They're also good against segmented things like worms.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hi! I'm a filthy casual. Has anyone found any updated inventory editors and/or mods that make my cheatingplaying easier yet? (fully-lit maps, etc.)

Not that I know of yet, I believe many mods run through TShock, which is currently being updated. The good news is there's no drastic internal changes that will make TShock unusable, so wait a few days for them to sort it out and you should be good. Someone who pays more attention to Terraria modding can probably give a more precise answer.

various folks posted:

Spiders spiders spiders

Thanks. By "good fortune" my hellevator runs right through a spider hole so I guess my sunfury and I will go there to have words with the locals.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never seen alternate ores spawn ever. Did you accidentally place the silver yourself somehow? You could have gotten some from sifting silt or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It's sort of supposed to look like a collection of houses overlapping with each other, although I didn't quite succeed I think. It's not made of super expensive stuff, but I think it came together pretty well. My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

Tamayachi posted:

Bonus mess: I have no idea what's in any of those chests so I always have to go through all of them if I'm trying to find something specific :sigh:

Too much effort: you actually bothered to flatten the terrain! Also, how on earth do you live with only having four chests. Don't you know you have to steal and hoard everything?!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Expert world bosses scale their hp to the number of players in multiplayer, which probably explains why it took you until almost dawn. He must have had just a staggering sack of hit points if you've got 10 people going after him at once.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Asciana posted:

So semi new to this and just defeated Eye of Cthulu. What should I use my demonite ore for hat dropped? Should I hold off for Shadow Scales to make a Nightmare Pick or something else?

You'll get a lot more demonite ore from the same source you get your shadow scales, so don't worry about saving your ore. Spend the ore on whatever you need most. If you have a trash melee weapon, get the sword, if you're lacking a good ranged weapon, go for the bow. The War Axe is slower than the sword but actually does a lot of damage, so if you're still rolling with the starting copper axe for your lumber needs, the war axe actually will let you lumber at triple speed and murder everything at the same time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zereth posted:

I don't know why everybody keeps saying this. I use about 8 buckets and then pumps to duplicate it to fill all my artificial fishing ponds. And fill up my lava and honey reservoirs when I go get honey blocks/crisp honey blocks/obsidian.

It takes a while to fill up but I'm pretty sure pumps just output slightly more than they take in.

Pumps actually output exactly the same amount, what happens is every time water (or any liquid) flows over a ledge it gets a little bit more. Since your output pumps need to be sitting on a block, anything they output has to flow over at least one edge to fall back down to the input pump and be recycled, so any pump system will (very) slowly duplicate liquids, but you can amplify the duplication rate a lot by having the water flow down a series of stairs before it reaches the input pump again.

I don't have hard numbers or anything, but it seems to work fastest when there is a full block flowing, so you would do well to fully submerse your input pump in a full block of liquid before starting the pumps, rather than have it sitting in a very shallow pool. It also seems to (but I'm not positive about this) duplicate faster when the liquid only has one direction to flow, so having it flow down a series of stairs is better than having the liquid land on a block where it can then flow in either direction. I suspect this is because having the liquid flow in two directions reduces the volume going over a single edge, so you're getting two ledges each with half a block's worth of liquid, rather than sending the full block over a single edge.

Disclaimer, I did most of my tests with honey. The mechanics might be slightly different with the faster-flowing water, but I can at least confirm that the stair step method does work with water, even if the stairs method isn't the fastest like it is with honey.

I hope this is clear, it's kind of hard to describe. I can take some screenshots later today if someone wants.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Undertaker uses musket balls, which probably put themselves into one of your ammo slots. You can buy more from the arms dealer, who will move into a free house now that you own at least one gun. Next you should probably keep smashing those throbbing hearts that you got the Undertaker from until something exciting happens.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 10, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven't killed the wall of flesh yet, ebonstone doesn't spread corruption. If you have, it still has to be within 3 tiles of another corruptible block (stone, grass, sand) in order to spread corruption. If it can't spread, there has to be at least 200 blocks of it for the area to be considered a corruption biome.

None of these dangers apply to ebonstone bricks, which are just decorative blocks that don't infect and aren't considered corrupted in any way.

Since you don't even have a nightmare pick, I'm going to assume you haven't killed the wall, so the only thing you'll have to put up with is NPCs refusing to live in the house until you get a pick and replace the roof.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Medusas shouldn't be able to petrify you unless they're in a minimum amount of light since you can't see them. Hunter Potions don't count because you're not observing them directly.

Medusas were improved significantly in the latest patch though.

Anal Surgery posted:

That happened to me too, I was just about to ask about it

Do either of you folks getting these bizarre reloading-your-world-breaks-things bugs have your characters or worlds on the Steam Cloud? I've never had any issues, and I'm wondering if it's because I have my stuff stored locally, and whether I should be intentionally keeping it that way.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've literally never seen one of these and spent a ton of time underground with battle potions on trying to get a nymph to spawn. Weird.

Anyways, I finally dug down into hell. My little brother managed to do this within his first 10 minutes of exploring;

He panic teleported away and instagibbed himself. I wasn't there so no problem for now, but he's gonna wanna kill it eventually so now I guess I should start prepping for hard mode. I've never done it before. Is there anything you should absolutely do before starting hardmode? For prep I was gonna dig a line between crimson altars to smash them and also set up a jungle house for the witch doctor so I can buy wings right at the start. Other than that I know basically nothing.

As long as you know where the demon altars are you really don't need to worry about pre-cutting holes between them. My pre-hardmode checklist is:

1) Molten Pickaxe (required to mine early hardmode ores)
2) Eat enough crystal hearts / mana stars to have 400/200 health/mana
3) Have a couple spare houses available so you can hire the wizard and tax collector as soon as you see them
4) Reasonably beefy weapons - stuff from shadow chests in hell are good. Bee's Knees' bow is good. Minishark is good as long as you have some silver bullets or meteor shot. Space gun is too weak.
5) Reasonably beefy armor - Molten Armor has the best defense pre-hardmode. Shadow or Crimson armor is a good second best. Necro is tolerable. Jungle and Meteor have too low defense for my tastes, but if you have good forge bonuses on your accessories, you can probably roll in with those.
6) Decent mobility. Ivy whip for sure. Spectre boots (or lightning boots) for sure, lucky cloud in a balloon is nice but not absolutely critical if you have the specter boots. Obsidian Shield for sure. Last accessories to taste, I prefer band of regeneration.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pound_Coin posted:

...So to have my NPCs live in an underground vault I'll need to hammer out the entire background area of their rooms from the surface down?

jesus.

Nah, once you go deep enough the cave background doesn't count as a kind of wall, so you can just place your manmade walls directly.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Supremezero posted:

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

What on earth do you still need light sources for by the time you can kill the Moon Lord?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's -25% damage going down to -0% over the next five seconds. It doesn't ruin your offense. Even if it was -100% for the whole duration it would still be better and faster than sitting on your hands and waiting to regen naturally.

Subsequent mana potions add their duration on, capping out at ten seconds for a -50% reduction. If you're really blasting away at a boss with a mana flower equipped you'll easily be hovering around a -35% to -50% damage penalty. Compared to a guy with a gun who can just hold the button down and shoot forever, that is absolutely crippled offense.

President Ark posted:

Mana regeneration potions. If you're fighting in an arena, place stars in a bottle.

Oh, thanks I didn't know about the star in a bottle effect.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gobblecoque posted:

I really appreciate the masterfully designed cleavage.

Should have put the heart statue there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The odds of BOTH your oceans getting contaminated before you get access to the clentaminator are minuscule. Save your time and don't bother.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wyverns you mean? No. They get chunked by any piercing weapon though. Get a cobalt spear or some holy arrows or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

oddium posted:

hey how hard would it be to replace the martian madness music with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cvLcGNeE0M

This page describes a way to do it. It was written for 1.2 but I seriously doubt the way the game handles music has changed so I bet it still works.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I get how that works, though I was asking because I made a floating base, but it seems it's just high enough that sometimes Wyverns can spawn and come barrelling in. I thought if they flew through a magma layer I could get them fast that way, but if not is there some other kind of automated defenses that can kill Wyverns as they fly through my base?

Not easily. They'll take damage from dart traps, flame traps, and spear traps, but wyverns are pretty durable and it will be very difficult to have enough of them to kill wyverns before they show up. You'd probably have better luck having enough NPCs move into your flying base to negate all the enemy spawns entirely. You'll still get them showing up during blood moons, but no other time. Sunflowers and peace candles also reduce enemy spawns, and you might be able to rig up enough spawning statues like slime statues or bat statues so that you can keep your enemy spawn slots filled up with trash mobs in contained boxes, such that even on blood moons no enemies can spawn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Holyshoot posted:

So I have more then 50 silver in my inventory. Do I have to have a real house built for the merchant to show up?

Yes. You'll actually need two since the Guide will claim the first one you build.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Invisible Ted posted:

Fought and lost to plantera a couple times now, but it's always pretty close. I've got a medium sized arena, using chlorophyte shotbow with cursed arrows, full chlorophyte armor. Any small tweaks to eke out more damage, or take less? I might move the nurse in below the arena but the fight's usually close enough that I don't think I should need that.

If you've done all the obvious stuff (potions, campfire, heart lantern, maybe a honey bath), then maybe kill 10 black recluses and craft a spider staff. Put a bewitching table stolen from the dungeon in your arena, and make sure your arena has back walls all over it. Any wall's fine, even dirt. Even without any summoner focused gear at all, if you drink a summoner potion and tap a bewitching potion, you can have three little spider buddies pouring out extra damage without any effort on your part. Spider buddies can climb up back walls, and if the entire arena has back walls, they'll spend 100% of their time sitting directly on Plantera just biting and biting away. It'll add up to tons of extra damage, and won't require you to divert any of your attention at all from the dodging and shooting you're already doing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Annoyingly, frogs and mice don't spawn out of background objects.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why would ash make the wall an easier target than dirt would?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best way I know is to just get a sextant (so easy guys, just get it from the angler! :negative:) and mark which moon phase you tapped the sundial on. There's eight moon phases so if you can remember that your sundial cools off on the full moon you can tap it once a week.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Internet Kraken I would just like you to know that I got vitamins on my 6th floaty gross, but no demon scythe after 200 demons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't be afraid to chain-chug potions, you'll have more than you can drink from dungeon pots.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kinetica posted:

Which one of the hardmode bosses is the first I should kill? I have full titanium armor and I still get my rear end handed to me on destroyer because of all the lasers. (I am bad)

Which boss is hardest depends entirely on the arena you're using to fight them and the weapons you're using. You're gonna have to give more information. My favorite order is to kill Skeletron prime first in a layered platform arena, use his souls to make the flamethrower which I use to kill the Destroyer in a tiny flying open-bottomed bunker arena, and use his souls to make the megashark, which I use to kill the twins in a death race drive-by-shooting from my world-crossing minecart highway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Anal Surgery posted:

I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?

Skeletron Prime is, in my opinion, easier in a box arena (a big square with several layers of platforms) rather than a skybridge arena. Prime likes to sweep his chainsaw hand and grabbo pincer hand horizontally, and it's a lot easier to dodge those when you've got platforms above and below to jump/drop to. Also the bombs he launches from his launcher hand don't explode when they hit a platform, only when they hit a solid block, so if your arena is all platforms, 100% of his bombs will drop through your arena and explode harmlessly underneath you.

What accessories are you using? My 100% required accessories are specter or lightning boots for speed, wings for mobility, and a cobalt or obsidian shield for knockback immunity. Your last two can be to taste, for a ranged setup like an adamantium repeater I would like a Ranger Emblem from the wall of flesh, and maybe a magic quiver if you've got one or a Charm of Myths if you don't.

What ammo are you using? Ichor arrows if your world has crimson or Holy arrows if it doesn't are probably your best bets.

Buffs buffs buffs. Put a campfire and a heart lantern in your arena. Put a couple sunflowers nearby. If you've got a heart statue, wire it up to a 1-second repeater. Chug regeneration, swiftness, ironskin, archery potions. If you're up on fishing, add an endurance potion and a wrath or rage one.

Focus one of his arms down first. Skeletron Prime is strongest at the beginning of the fight when he's got all his arms, and weakest at the end. I like to remove the laser arm and chainsaw arm first. The bomb launcher arm is 100% harmless if you're standing on a platform, so ignore it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best part about blast mining is it's completely lossless. 100% of the blocks your bombs destroy will be dropped to the ground as items to collect.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I swear it's pretty frustrating sometimes the dev team's no-fun attitude towards weird tricks that most normal players will never run into. Why is it so important to you that one weird youtuber can't use his stupid trick anymore?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What if you built a skybridge over your world and placed chests on it so the meteor couldn't hit there? Could you then dig a perfectly straight hole in just the spot you want and target it at the temple entrance?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Going to create a new world and try this out. Wish me luck.

Good luck and post results!

Inge posted:

After gearing up a bit for quality of life purposes I started an expert world.

I'm kind of modelling my base off tourian off metroid but I'm not loving the colour of the tin plating with the heavy meteorite / amber stonespark asthetics. I kind of want it to look clean on the inside, but the exterior is actively chewing into the surrounding earth (I loving love cogs)

Any suggestions before I rip into it?

If you use a light-emitting backwall like gemspark or lavafall it actually will illuminate foreground blocks placed in front of it, which is pretty interesting!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Chest detected nearby!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know this is a joke but I'd really encourage new players not to go overboard with storage and hoarding stuff. There's tons of useless crap in this game you are never gonna use. There's stuff that's not even gonna serve you any good for decoration. Like, red ice can't be made into anything and spreads corruption, are you really gonna do anything with it ever? Just throw it in the trash.

Red ice is really useful for making combination frozen/crimson artificial biomes so you can grind for both biome keys at once! Add temple bricks or jungle seeds and you can grind for the jungle key at the same time! Do it in the ocean and you can grind for pirate maps at the same time!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Verviticus posted:

if my only snow biome is crimson as well, can i still get an ice golem to spawn there?

Yes, mine is the same way, although you might have better luck clentaminating it clean, simply so the crimson mobs aren't competing for the same spawn slots. You probably already know this, but Golems only spawn during rain / blizzards, so if you can't get one, make sure it's hard weather.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

All I want to do is kill ice mimics for a baby snowman so it should work fine but the game continues to mock me and my desire for useless cosmetics.

Here's the best spawner I ever made. Just build something similar in an ice biome. I built something in a hallow biome and got tons of mimics in it, I just don't have a great screenshot of it so you get the dungeon one.

I stand by the campfire up there and everything spawns down on the murder floor and gets gibbed in seconds. I periodically run down to collect all the loot. You can see by the minimap and on the upper right edge of the screen that I've bricked up the right hand passage so nothing can spawn there, and all the other caverns nearby are either bricked up by me or have lava in them and are thus considered unspawnable. I couldn't believe how fast this was, it was just a horrible murderfest, I didn't have to do anything except pop the occasional caster who teleported up near me half-dead. Got dozens and dozens of shotguns and swat helmets and inferno forks and black belts and stuff. Basically all you need to do is trap one reasonably sized room, and then stand where nothing can spawn anywhere except there. In my underground hallow grinder, rather than meticulously fill in every bad spawning spot with dirt, I just brought a couple stacks of sticky dynamite and blew up a giant cavern.

A bad shot of the hallow grinder, sorry I only have the map screenshot. Stand in the middle, stuff only spawns on the bottom. I made it way too wide, that was unnecessary. There used to be spiky ball traps killing stuff on the bottom but I moved them to the dungeon grinder once I got all the hallow drops I wanted. A radar is actually pretty handy so you can see if your grinder is killing everything or if enemies are piling up in a little pocket cave somewhere. Bring hunter potions to find them if they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Verviticus posted:

it just means you have a chance at a long trek your first few times to the jungle/corruption/ocean/whatever. if you're OK with that, its fine. the trip is basically instant after minecarts anyways

edit: as a ranged character, i'm having trouble giving up my frost armor for something else. i have a set of legendary fetid bakhnahk and i like to swap into those and i lose like 400 DPS going from say, frost armor to melee-chlorophyte. shroomite is probably a net loss too if I don't abuse the stealth damage bonus. is frost armor late-game acceptable until starburst or whatever?

Anything's acceptable if you can win in it, but you're wrong about shroomite being a drop in damage. The stealth bonus is gravy, but I never used it. Shroomite's only problem is if you're using a variety of ranged weapons instead of just bullet weapons, just arrow weapons, etc. Even then it's ok if you're willing to make multiple helmets and quick-swap them. (right-click)