Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Those meteors have some really good aim. :wth:

It went right down the tunnel I was using to remove crimson from this stretch of the desert(it's a bit too close to the jungle).

But on a positive note, I did luck out and get a frozen key and crimson key while setting out to contain the crimson. Along with the jungle key I found earlier, those should come in handy once I go back to the dungeon to raid those chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, you can actually get into the jungle Temple pre-Plantera/Picksaw by digging a hole down to it and hoping for a meteorite to hit it. Obviously the odds are really low even with a big hole but it's possible.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What if you built a skybridge over your world and placed chests on it so the meteor couldn't hit there? Could you then dig a perfectly straight hole in just the spot you want and target it at the temple entrance?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That's like dividing by 0.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mzbundifund posted:

What if you built a skybridge over your world and placed chests on it so the meteor couldn't hit there? Could you then dig a perfectly straight hole in just the spot you want and target it at the temple entrance?

Going to create a new world and try this out. Wish me luck.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

I, for one, encourage people to play this game whichever way they want without condemning their specific desires as autistic

loving crazy, right?

Well you sure as hell aren't one of the developers working on the game.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently the Jungle decided to eat my Corruption that spawned from the Wall of Flesh. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. The area in the red circle is the only bit of Corruption that survived. At least the Hallow spawned normally.

You do realize the jungle's eating your hallow too, right?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Aren't you going to have to place chests every 15-20 blocks or so for this to work?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
On a small world with the inventory editor it wouldn't take thaaaaat long. And it's for science.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

That sounds insanely tedious to me, and I have Aspergers. The wiki says meteors won't land within 25 tiles of a chest, so just build empty chests 25 blocks apart so you don't need to make thousands of chests.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You do realize the jungle's eating your hallow too, right?

Only the bottom part. The rest of the strip is fine and didn't spawn in the jungle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Akett posted:

That sounds insanely tedious to me, and I have Aspergers. The wiki says meteors won't land within 25 tiles of a chest, so just build empty chests 25 blocks apart so you don't need to make thousands of chests.

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I would recommend just bypassing the inventory editor and using cheat engine, setting the item values to 999 and locking it for ease. It took me like three or four full stacks of 999 rail tracks to build a cart track across my large world, for reference.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

At that point just get a straight up map editor and do poo poo in there. Assuming there's any working map editors at the moment.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Acne Rain posted:

Stardust pillar I beat by going to town with chlorophyte bullets and a tactical shotgun, Vortex pillar by camping behind walls with minions and traps, solar with a buffed mage loadout with specter healing and a dragon helping out, nebula by staying in the air and using top tier melee items. I had wanted to beat each pillar with a different class so I'm glad it worked.

Not only is vortex the easiest to cheese, but if you beat it first you can get the phantasm. Load up with holy arrows and now every other pillar goes down in seconds.

Thank you for this post. I would not have thought of switching back to spectre armor with the hood. Throwing one nebula blaze at the crawltepede's tail gives an instant 200 health. Magnet sphere stun-locking a corite can give me nearly a hundred. And I just realized the solar pillar spawned just off-screen of the edge of the asphault runway I used to fight The Twins. :downs:
That..turned things around very, very quickly.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently the Jungle decided to eat my Corruption that spawned from the Wall of Flesh. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. The area in the red circle is the only bit of Corruption that survived. At least the Hallow spawned normally.

Incorrect. The "spirits of light and darkness" create a big ol' X in your terrain, with the intersection in the center of the map. I see that path of Hallow is pointing up-right, so your corruption started on the other side of the map (under the dungeon), angled up-left. That bit of corruption in your jungle does not even look like corruption to me, and if it is, it was caused by a seed block spawned by breaking altars.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

McFrugal posted:

Incorrect. The "spirits of light and darkness" create a big ol' X in your terrain, with the intersection in the center of the map.

this is also kind of wrong by the way in that it makes a V that meets in the bottom-center of the map. i agree that that corruption is probably from an altar though

e: actually i don't think the corruption strip converts jungle mud immediately and that patch is probably a big patch of stone that got turned ??

oddium fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 22, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

What's the difference between the middle of an X and the bottom of a V?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i somehow entirely drowned my dungeon

i guess i'm going to have to use gills potions to explore it? idek

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tollymain posted:

i somehow entirely drowned my dungeon

i guess i'm going to have to use gills potions to explore it? idek

Drain it to hell

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

oddium posted:

this is also kind of wrong by the way in that it makes a V that meets in the bottom-center of the map. i agree that that corruption is probably from an altar though

e: actually i don't think the corruption strip converts jungle mud immediately and that patch is probably a big patch of stone that got turned ??

Oh, it is a V, my bad.

Anyway, I looked at an example of a corruption biome on the map and it is definitely not that color. Corruption is a dark purple on the minimap, that's just grey stone. The background is darker, yes, but there are parts of the caverns which are darker like that and have nothing to do with corruption. I think they're gem caves.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

For reference it took like 60+ ingame hours for the hallow to begin creeping up on my base and for crimson to eat a chunk of my ice biome. Both problems were solved with like 10 minutes of cleansing.

Speaking of spending a lot of time ingame; I finally built everything I wanted and defeated the final boss on expert mode too. Had well fed bonus, ironskin, regeneration, endurance and lifeforce potions, an ichor flask, beetle armor, solar eruption and cosmic car key.

Fight took like 8 minutes, judging by the two rounds of buffs I had to do. Just flew around while swinging for the head eye then going in a circle to avoid the big laser beam during the first phase. After that I flew straight up and down (or was it diagonally? I forget) to evade some of the garbage the boss throws at you all during the second phase. I got lazy and used a mirror to go back to a hut with the nurse like 6 times too, couple of those one after the other cause the boss pummeled me too hard while walking out the house.

All in all I'd say it wasn't that hard, took less tries than something like the Wall of Flesh, but you really do need the nurse if you are not going to do something to evade the mouth tentacle thing so you can use lifesteal during the fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know the 6th accessory slot doesn't function in non expert worlds, but can you still move items in and out of it or is it just locked?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

I know the 6th accessory slot doesn't function in non expert worlds, but can you still move items in and out of it or is it just locked?

Locked. No touch.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
You can take your item out of the 6th slot in a non-expert world but the slot then disappears until you enter an expert world again. Or at least it worked that way a couple patches ago, haven't tried it since.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

socialsecurity posted:

So I'm kinda done with Terraria I beat everything I wanted to this is my first builder style game I enjoyed the freeness of building things mixed with actual bosses and goals does Minecraft have something similar or is there a different game in this genre that would work better everyone seems to hate Starbound no idea why.

While its a few pages back, Blightfall is getting a major overhaul and might scratch that itch when its done. You can try it in its current form to see if it works for you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

McFrugal posted:

Oh, it is a V, my bad.

Anyway, I looked at an example of a corruption biome on the map and it is definitely not that color. Corruption is a dark purple on the minimap, that's just grey stone. The background is darker, yes, but there are parts of the caverns which are darker like that and have nothing to do with corruption. I think they're gem caves.

They're not granite? When I first looked at it I assumed they were granite.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
After gearing up a bit for quality of life purposes I started an expert world.

I'm kind of modelling my base off tourian off metroid but I'm not loving the colour of the tin plating with the heavy meteorite / amber stonespark asthetics. I kind of want it to look clean on the inside, but the exterior is actively chewing into the surrounding earth (I loving love cogs)

Any suggestions before I rip into it?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Inge posted:

I'm kind of modelling my base off tourian off metroid but I'm not loving the colour of the tin plating with the heavy meteorite / amber stonespark asthetics. I kind of want it to look clean on the inside, but the exterior is actively chewing into the surrounding earth (I loving love cogs)

Paint the tin plating the color you want it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Good luck and post results!

Inge posted:

If you use a light-emitting backwall like gemspark or lavafall it actually will illuminate foreground blocks placed in front of it, which is pretty interesting!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
For my new 1.3 character (I'm attempting the "intended" progression, I could have bombed my way through corruption ages ago), I am building intentionally horribly.

Perhaps too horribly, the conglomeration of hay, mahogany, ebonwood, and fencing walls on a couple rooms just seems like I'm trying too hard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I got a martian saucer mount finally, switched out wings for another caster accessory. Then promptly got murdered because movement speed is slower than solar wings vs moon lord. I guess I could just chug a speed potion, but I'm tempted to just go back to wings honestly. I want to do expert mode for the extra accessory slot at this point, normal mode is fun but those loot bags are really looking good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Few' days ago, I found so much marble...I mined it all.

I have nine stacks of smooth marble now. I might just have to make Castlevania.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

Few' days ago, I found so much marble...I mined it all.

I have nine stacks of smooth marble now. I might just have to make Castlevania.

Haha yeah I had the same idea and built a Marble Corridor that goes under my base, filled it with candelabras and paintings.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
As far as I'm concerned that bow from hallowed mimics doesn't exist :suicide:

And anyone who says it does it a dirty liar

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've made 9 Crimson Mimics and got the Tendon Hook from 6 of them.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mzbundifund posted:

Good luck and post results!

Well, I'm done. Using an item editor, the Drill Containment unit and a decent chunk of time, I set up my controls and put a meteor 'spawn point' right over the Temple.

The meteor landed somewhere in the Corruption, on the other side of the map. The SkyBridge was completely untouched.

Is there a spawn height for the meteors? I had the sky-bridge pretty close to space to turn down the chances of it hitting a floating island, but did I have it too high?

I can post images, if you all want.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Kinetica posted:

As far as I'm concerned that bow from hallowed mimics doesn't exist :suicide:

And anyone who says it does it a dirty liar

I have a spare. Would you like it?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, I'm done. Using an item editor, the Drill Containment unit and a decent chunk of time, I set up my controls and put a meteor 'spawn point' right over the Temple.

The meteor landed somewhere in the Corruption, on the other side of the map. The SkyBridge was completely untouched.

Is there a spawn height for the meteors? I had the sky-bridge pretty close to space to turn down the chances of it hitting a floating island, but did I have it too high?

I can post images, if you all want.

I bet it has more to do with the fact that the meteor can't land on something that's only one block thick anyways, so it probably doesn't even count it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Got back into playing this dumb fun game back when I heard about the new patch and was struggling pretty hard with a slightly ahead of the gear-curve character vs expert Plantera even with all the buffing potions I could get (aside from potions that require fishing, gently caress that), a well made arena with heart lanterns and campfire. So I decided I'd make a normal world and give it a try there.

I fought all three mechanical bosses at once easily without any danger and murdered the poo poo out of Plantera without even dipping below a quarter health without buff potions and minimal to no arena setup.

Expert mode adds a dumb amount of extra damage and mob health and I'm not sure how I feel about going back to it to try and kill Plantera and the bosses after.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Senor Candle posted:

I bet it has more to do with the fact that the meteor can't land on something that's only one block thick anyways, so it probably doesn't even count it.

Uh yes it can. Building a skybridge is a great way to protect your world from meteors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

Uh yes it can. Building a skybridge is a great way to protect your world from meteors.

Really? I've never seen that happen so I just assumed it wouldn't.