Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

A bunch of the new achievements are pretty bugged, I built a massive 12 story house for my npcs and I didn't unlock "No Hobo" and by using magic mirror in an underground mushroom biome I got the "visit an overground mushroom biome".

Also hardmode, dungeon keys, skeletron and a bunch of random hardmode/invasion achievements won't unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Akett posted:

Has anyone figured out the strange plants stuff for the dye trader yet?

Very late, but yes. Around your world some weird looking plants will spawn, so far I've found a wilted corruption looking plant that's like 2x3 sq, and when I handed it in I got some insane looking twilight dye.

It looks like it's fisherquest, but with no time limit, location and the only reward is special as gently caress dyes.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Do you need to do something special to trigger the martian invasion? I've killed all the boss except the moon lord but I'm not finding the probe thing or whatever to set it off.

Kill golem and look up. There should be a bunch of ufo's in the background when the probes spawn. They're not there all the time and sometimes you can go days without seeing one and sometimes you get 3 in a row.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Spergminer posted:

Around your world some weird looking plants will spawn, so far I've found a wilted corruption looking plant that's like 2x3 sq, and when I handed it in I got some insane looking twilight dye.

It looks like it's fisherquest, but with no time limit, location and the only reward is special as gently caress dyes.

found it in the forest biome, next to spawn.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

John Lee posted:

Re: Strange Plants: They don't all look the same. I found one in... the forest or jungle. It was bright orange, about as tall as my character, and with round leaves or cups. It was just called Strange Plant when I harvested it, and when I turned it in, the dye trader gave me Reflective Gold Dye, which makes my armor look golden, but with an active shader that reacts to nearby light sources.

I don't deserve such cool armor. :(

I've been playing for 15 hours today without seeing a second strange plant. You deserve the cool armour, because I think the plants are pretty rare.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Supremezero posted:

So I finally actually looked a the achievement list.

Mecha Mayhem
Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious.

I, uh, guess everyone is expected to be Yrimir?

This is actually easy as hell with Fishron+ gear but don't do it right now. I've tried three times now with skele/twins/dest, dest/twins/skele and twins/skele/dest comboes and it won't unlock the achievement.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

A good house, for a prick.

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

It didn't, but stuff is saved on the cloud :yayclod: now, so I'm not sure if you can dupe fresh worlds and characters just by moving the local files around.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Also is there still a way to dupe water now? Because they fixed that physics bug.

Do fisherquests and get the Bottomless bucket of water. I've been using it to make new fishing lakes in different places and buffing up existing one so they're junk-free.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Excelzior posted:

oh man gently caress YOU expert mode Plantera, I am going to have to build such a huge fuckoff arena just to fight you :suicide:

He's the first expert mode boss that an endgame equipped character might have trouble with, he's absolutely terrifying.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I have 5 sextants, 3 pockets guides and zero weather radios. Got all the other 9 parts, I just need that radio. :shepface:

Also if you're a Steam achievement whore like me, don't do fisher quests yet. While it tracks quests in-game quests just fine, Steam isn't tracking them at all.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

benzine posted:

Got an extra radio if you want it.

Nah, I'm cool, got finally got two radios earlier. The PDA is so cool and you can share the stats with people on the same team, as long as they're near you.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Two questions; how do NPCs work in regards to multiplayer? I'm planning on running a game over steam for my brother and I too play. I wanna know if we both get our own set of NPCs to work with or its just one per world.

Second, is there an easy way to transport huge amounts of liquid in this game? I never tried before but for my ~vanity housing~ I had an idea that involves a moat. It occurred to me that I've literally never transported any liquid though, so I have no clue how it works.

NPCs are locked to the world you find them in, so killing skeletron on World X won't unlock the Old man on World Y.

If you need a ton of water get the bottomless bucket from the Anglers quests or create a convoluted pumping system that dupes water for you.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Does the money trough just let you access your piggy bank inventory, or is it a separate container? I don't have one yet, but if it gives a new inventory, like the safe, I'll get ready to go all out on the next blood moon. I think one of the reasons I don't have it yet is that Eskimo zombies replace one of the enemies that can drop it.

It spawns a stationary familiar that you can right click on to access your piggy bank anywhere.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DarthJeebus posted:

Platforms are supposed to be able to separate rooms, right?

Can't figure out why the top two are invalid while the bottom one isn't.

You need at least one proper block on the floor for the npcs to rest at night.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm halfway through Hardmode and still haven't found a Rare Plant. Is there something special I should be doing?

Also, Explosives are more powerful than Dynamite, right? For excavating large farms/arenas underground.

Strange plants are absurdly rare for some reason, I've been searching for it for on 5 worlds now.

Explosives have a bigger blast radius but you need to hook it up with wires and buttons/levers and it's too much of a hassel unless you're making a huge trap or want to blow up a house. Just use dynamite or wait for a solar eclipse, buy Rocket IVs from the Cyborg and destroy the entire world.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm in the same situation. I googled around a bit and found people saying you need to kill a mecha boss before plantera's plant will spawn, but nothing about life bulbs. However, I sure can't find any either. I think it must be so.

I think it was the Fishron update that changed it to "kill all 3 mech bosses" before you can find Plantera bulbs. After the initial three, any mech kill is supposed to buff the bulb spawn rate.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Adding to base chat.

I made a version of this about a year ago, and I wanted another for the new version. This time I changed a few things to give myself some more room and to have spaces for the NPCs that exist now that didn't exist then and such. In a lot of ways it's better than that attempt a year ago, but there's a few things I'm still pretty dissatisfied with, but gently caress it, I've spent more than enough time on this as it is; from here on, for the sake of my sanity, hopefully I'll stick to minor changes.

Unrelated to base chat: Holy poo poo am I bad at killing bosses. What's the general strategy for killing the mech bosses in particular, besides 'grind for OP combo X, wreck poo poo in less than 30 seconds', or is that literally the only strategy for these things and it's not completely that I'm terrible.

The Destroyer is maybe the easiest mech boss, but you'll need a way to deal a lot of damage or pierce enemies. His soul is used to make the Megashark which will help A LOT with the other two. The twins is either the hardest or the easiest boss, depending on if you're playing online and if you have gravity potions. No real strategy, except you need to learn how to avoid Spazmatisms second phase.
Skeletron prime is a bitch, because he's as mobile as the twins but have much more hp and defence and if you hang out on the ground, he'll bitch slap you. Unlike normal Skeletron he gains defence when he's spinning, so use that time to kill his hands and then shoot his head when they're all gone.

Gravity potions works wonders on twins and prime because they cannot catch up with you when you're going up and down. Also don't use melee in hardmode. Melee is good before hardmode and it is great when you get to the Lunar Pillars, but everything between that is either getting good with ranged weapons or spectre armour magic if you're bad at the game like me.

Also play with other people so you can die miserably with others. :)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mortvert posted:

Does any of you have any idea if you can craft endless bags of non-normal ammo like silver musket balls? I can't find any info on the wiki and I'm not keen on burning throught majority of my current resources just to see if thing like that exist.

You can't, it's only normal musket balls and arrows you can make the endless bags with.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

pon alien posted:

Man I can't commit to a new main base because I can't decide which furniture theme to go with.

Martian blocks looks super cool, got some great furniture and it's a little glowy.

I'm having fun* fighting the Moon Lord in expert mode, 500 of each tower fragment and no gravity globe.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

50k DPS on the Destroyer with Last Prism :stare:

The only good thing about farming developer sets is that I have 200 platinum now and only Red & D-towns sets.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sjonnar posted:

The Phantasm bow, provided you stay on target, does consistently over 5000 DPS. It's the highest damage thing i've seen so far, and i do have the Terrarian.

Last Prism is the best DPS for multi-target bosses I have seen, but Phantasm rips the single hitbox bosses to shreds much faster.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You can have a cliff that goes like this:
code:
      |
      |
  ->  |
     /
    |
and if you spam click the area where the arrow is you can dump a bucket of water, let a bit of it flow and pick it up too, that way you can fill a lake sort of fast. Or just get the hardmode bottomless bucket, it's far less painful.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I Said No posted:

Also I finally got sick of looking for them so I used a map viewer to find the strange plants on my world.

What's the best for finding strange plants, the wiki suggests a dozen map editors and viewers.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I Said No posted:

Terramap. If you're looking for strange plants, you want to check "Dye Flowers" and not the blocks actually called Strange Plant 1 2 3 and 4.

nm, I'm stupid

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I wish there was an easier way to farm for certain drops, getting enough black lenses for Optics Staves for 5 people is killing me. :suicide:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Holy poo poo, they upped the strange plant rate by a ton. I've found 12 in my medium world and now I have all sorts of :2bong: dyes, including enough midnight rainbow dyes to fill all slots.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kin posted:

Do you guys have any advice for a returning player?

Like I finished the game when it was 1.1 or whatever and whenever I think about playing it again the going from nothing to everything "growth" is an appealing concept.

But when I actually start playing, the grind just really gets to me, but the thought of just giving myself all the best gear doesn't do it for me either.

I'm interested in seeing all the new content but are they any tweaks you guys could recommend to make the grinding less tedious whilst letting me keep the same "feel" of the game? I was thinking something like ores would drop x10 per block or something so that I'd still have to hunt them out to progress, but just not as much.

Get a mythril/orichalcum drill asap in hardmode and ignore all other tiers of items. Fish for crates for easy hardmode ores and bars.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

nm, I figured out console commands

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Two times now I've gotten the warning that the Travelling merchant arrives, and then less than a minute later he mysteriously dies. This happened while I was away exploring, and there aren't any hazards at my pre hardmode base. Are my NPCs getting murderous?

I'm gonna have to mirror back next time he arrives and see what happens.

If you have a hellevator thats open or covered with platforms on top you'll sometimes see NPCs jump down the pit and either die, fall into lava or get stuck on a ledge down there until they get mauled by a monster.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Landing/launching ramp for a minecart track:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

:shepface:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sylink posted:

So I got the DCU and most of the end game items that I care to have. What the gently caress do I do now?

Get all cheevos, get all trophies or ~be creative~~~*~

(be creative)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I didn't know a corrupted ice biome will still allow you to get ice biome quest fish. That's p. useful an makes me even less worried about decontamination.

Corrupt oceans also count as normal oceans for fisherquests, they relaxed a bunch of the invasive hardmode requirements.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm playing with a friend of mine and I'm having terrible (what I assume are) latency issues. My game will lag out for up to and over 30 seconds and then catch up all at once. I'll break blocks but no items will drop until I "catch up" with my friend, who is hosting. Granted we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic but this is a bit beyond the pale. Is this a know issue with the game or do you think it's a problem with my connection?

This happens a lot with transatlantic servers if either the hosts or your own connection is bad. My advice: get a rocket launcher, load it up with 3996 Rocket IV's and embrace the lag.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sjonnar posted:

I count two ducks in this picture, which is two too many. Needs more lava.

I put a dart trap wired to a 1-second timer on the lakes near my base to autokill any and all ducks.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Indecisive posted:

also how do you get rid of the lunatic cultist's illusions? beat him using the possessed hatchet because gently caress yes 'melee' weapons but none of the illusions ever vanished, the wiki wasn't very clear on it

ps gently caress crawltipedes, at least now I know to make some platforms over there I guess

You need to hit the real, solid cultist. If you hit the transperant fakes he'll summon a dragon/spooky head and add the fake to his conga line of death.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Grimman007 posted:

What should I do while I wait for the 140 fishing quests I need for my second to last achievement?

Why, yes, I do hate myself, why do you ask?

Get several charcters outfitted with fleshcatchers/gold rods and end game armour and swicth between them. I ended up doing 4 quests every day on one world with 4 characters.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Indecisive posted:

you actually don't need anything special (assuming you're on normal, dunno about expert), unless your house is like right on top of where the hallow/corruption is gonna spawn you will have plenty of time after triggering hardmode to make it safe from that, and you can deal with invasions by the simple expedience of... not fighting invasions at your base. Go make a custom arena somewhere nearby and you can just fight it out there. Or just fight it in your base anyway because it literally does not matter if the NPC's die, they'll come back fast enough, and there are no enemies that can damage your base in any way. The game is a lot more relaxed about that stuff compared to older patches.

1.1 corruptors and clowns

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Bluhman posted:

I've been trying to get back into the swing of things with this game since the last time I played was in around 2011 or so. Spent the couple past days planning out how to make a keep with a set of village houses out in front of it. I just wish there was some way to get natural light into the lower parts of the courtyard without just making weird holes in the back wall.

The game's really lax when you don't have to focus so much on beating back rapidly-spreading crimson and unicorns.

Have you tried using Iron/Lead/Shadewood fence to fill holes in the courtyard wall? It'll leave tiny holes but let as much light in as an open hole would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Bluhman posted:

Shadewood sounds like a plan perhaps - from what I see of samples of the different fences it looks the thickest. Thanks.

While I'm at it, got a good idea of what I should make the front gate out of (far right)? It's a set of 5 blocks hooked up to actuators and a switch, and I want it to look like a big metal portcullis. Naturally, fences would work great for that, but those are all background things.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tall_Gate

This thing is really good for building houses where you can run around with mounts inside.