Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Logging out and logging back in again also works.

lol did you actually do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

TWIST FIST posted:

lol did you actually do this

Not until after he reinstalled.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Logging out and logging back in again also works.

:eyepop:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dareon posted:

The solution to "absurdly lethal event" is not "defeat bullet hell boss, even more absurdly lethal event, and absurdly lethal bullet hell boss."

The solution MIGHT be "edit sundial onto character," though.

Blood Moons and Eclipses don't affect the underground (at least wrt to what spawns, they might still affect the spawn rate) so you can just go cavern exploring during them if you don't want to deal with them. Goblin, pirate, and alien invasions stick around until you're through with them though, so the sundial wouldn't be any help there anyway. But you can still just ignore them for a while by staying away from the invasion point.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
So I'm about to enter Hardmode on my first playthrough, and this is my current house:

I know I'll need to expand it for the new NPCs at least, but in terms of defence what do I need to sure up? A few things I've read suggest that anything short of a hovering or underground fortress surrounded by 6 blocks of wood on all side will be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

you actually don't need anything special (assuming you're on normal, dunno about expert), unless your house is like right on top of where the hallow/corruption is gonna spawn you will have plenty of time after triggering hardmode to make it safe from that, and you can deal with invasions by the simple expedience of... not fighting invasions at your base. Go make a custom arena somewhere nearby and you can just fight it out there. Or just fight it in your base anyway because it literally does not matter if the NPC's die, they'll come back fast enough, and there are no enemies that can damage your base in any way. The game is a lot more relaxed about that stuff compared to older patches.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Indecisive posted:

you actually don't need anything special (assuming you're on normal, dunno about expert), unless your house is like right on top of where the hallow/corruption is gonna spawn you will have plenty of time after triggering hardmode to make it safe from that, and you can deal with invasions by the simple expedience of... not fighting invasions at your base. Go make a custom arena somewhere nearby and you can just fight it out there. Or just fight it in your base anyway because it literally does not matter if the NPC's die, they'll come back fast enough, and there are no enemies that can damage your base in any way. The game is a lot more relaxed about that stuff compared to older patches.

1.1 corruptors and clowns

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Make sure to protect the Party Girl though, she takes forever to respawn.

Has anyone gotten a megaphone in 1.3 yet? I'm pretty sure they dropped from pixies, but I've killed enough of those that the UN is opening an investigation into my pixie genocide and nothing.

Edit: never mind, apparently it was waiting for me to make a fool of myself on SA first. Literally just after posting I got one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Keiya posted:

Edit: never mind, apparently it was waiting for me to make a fool of myself on SA first. Literally just after posting I got one.

It is a universal constant that asking for help causes problems to solve themselves.

The ankh shield was no problem for me in my last game; the only item I actually ground for was the Nazar (so that I could get it before beating Plantera, when there would be so many non-skull spawns) and that didn't take too long. I had the whole thing before Plantera without waiting around for it. I don't know if I got lucky or if trying to get the Cell Phone put things into perspective.

Maybe one or two of the Fisherman's info items should be things you can fish up instead? I mean, the Radar can fill that spot if you don't get one in a surface chest, but just to reduce the number of items you need to get with a one-in-forty chance once per day. Maybe make the Sextant drop rarely from blood moon enemies like the money trough. Something. They're easily the worst part of the PDA.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

You know what we need? The ability to dye weapons and items.

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe one or two of the Fisherman's info items should be things you can fish up instead? I mean, the Radar can fill that spot if you don't get one in a surface chest, but just to reduce the number of items you need to get with a one-in-forty chance once per day. Maybe make the Sextant drop rarely from blood moon enemies like the money trough. Something. They're easily the worst part of the PDA.

Make the fishing guide a common, additional spawn (~75% chance) in water chests that don't spawn in the ocean, and make Angry Nimbus-es have a .1% chance to drop the weather radio.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tenebrais posted:

It is a universal constant that asking for help causes problems to solve themselves.

The ankh shield was no problem for me in my last game; the only item I actually ground for was the Nazar (so that I could get it before beating Plantera, when there would be so many non-skull spawns) and that didn't take too long. I had the whole thing before Plantera without waiting around for it. I don't know if I got lucky or if trying to get the Cell Phone put things into perspective.

Here's another idea; If people don't want to fish, don't make them. So rather than include the fishing items in the PDA, have the other parts make the PDA, and the fishing parts an upgraded version of the PDA.

Or the Cell Phone. Either or.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Grimman007 posted:

You know what we need? The ability to dye weapons and items.

I think they looked into this for 1.3 but couldn't make it work.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

My guide's house. I think I'm going to steal it from him as my own once I make a bunch more houses. Mostly Pearl and Boreal woods. The sail idea was inspired by a post on the official terraria forums, but I decided it looked cooler on a spherical airship docked above my headquarters facility.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bat Ham posted:

So I'm about to enter Hardmode on my first playthrough, and this is my current house:

I know I'll need to expand it for the new NPCs at least, but in terms of defence what do I need to sure up? A few things I've read suggest that anything short of a hovering or underground fortress surrounded by 6 blocks of wood on all side will be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Fancy/Effort Version: Quaff a mining potion and just dig a moat/trench underneath your house from the two little pits outside your guard towers. 4 wide for the pits, and, say, 6 tall for the under-house area (So two smart-cursor dig rows). If you have a cave entrance under there(By the bone welder)?, wall it off with wood or bricks or something. Line the outside edge of both pits with mud, clay, wood, or bricks so grass can't grow (knock the grass off those edge blocks) and you're golden. You have the 3-wide gap (plus insulation to prevent it spreading down/around) to stop jump-over infection, the depth should be enough to stop ground-level-floating/phasing things from getting up later (I'm a bit shaky on that one), and then if you want to be fancy, you just set up a water generator, flood the gap, and now your elegant little manor is an island over its own personal moat.

:effort: Version: Knock out the grass in your safety gaps (Widen the right one to 3 wide), fill with mud/clay/wood/bricks, make/degrass(and remove any stone)/fill 3 wide gaps in your cave down below to prevent creep-up conversion, and you should be good.

Either way, grab some purification/evil powder if you've built too far east/west of center and run the risk of the V clipping your stuff and need to clear away any hallow/corruption that spawns.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 8, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Metos posted:

They're decent, and make some good sense on paper, but after trying them both it really is a case of for most of what you're fighting the Dragon will just destroy it and have moved on while the cell is still applying it's dots.

It depends. Stardust Dragon dishes out more pure damage, but it attacks enemies one at a time, it has a longer range than the cells and it can't turn very sharply so it ends up taking much more roundabout routes. That's just fine against bosses, but during normal exploration that means you're going to get swarmed by nasties while your dragon is busy flying through three walls to kill some trash mob off-screen. Stardust Cell, like most other minions, is more defensive and focuses on protecting you by killing anything that gets close, rather than abandoning you to try and kill everything that spawns. I prefer the Cells, except in the Underground Desert where you need the Dragon's aggressiveness to keep genies off your back. But it's not like you need a full-length dragon to kill regular enemies, so if you're full summoner, just have a few cells and a few dragon segments.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Main Paineframe posted:

It depends. Stardust Dragon dishes out more pure damage, but it attacks enemies one at a time, it has a longer range than the cells and it can't turn very sharply so it ends up taking much more roundabout routes. That's just fine against bosses, but during normal exploration that means you're going to get swarmed by nasties while your dragon is busy flying through three walls to kill some trash mob off-screen. Stardust Cell, like most other minions, is more defensive and focuses on protecting you by killing anything that gets close, rather than abandoning you to try and kill everything that spawns. I prefer the Cells, except in the Underground Desert where you need the Dragon's aggressiveness to keep genies off your back. But it's not like you need a full-length dragon to kill regular enemies, so if you're full summoner, just have a few cells and a few dragon segments.

I don't know about you, but I don't generally get anything remotely resembling swarmed while doing exploration, besides the dungeon. The spawn rate just isn't high enough.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What's better, ravens or deadly spheres? I'm currently melee using one summon for the minor free damage, though considering using my new bounty of spooky wood to make a proper summoning set augmented with a yoyo/bag.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Amperor posted:

My guide's house. I think I'm going to steal it from him as my own once I make a bunch more houses. Mostly Pearl and Boreal woods. The sail idea was inspired by a post on the official terraria forums, but I decided it looked cooler on a spherical airship docked above my headquarters facility.

You got something sporty? You know, like a tuna?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

What's better, ravens or deadly spheres? I'm currently melee using one summon for the minor free damage, though considering using my new bounty of spooky wood to make a proper summoning set augmented with a yoyo/bag.
Deadly Spheres really like getting hung up on terrain. Dunno about ravens.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bat Ham posted:

I entered hardmode and subsequently beat it without doing a single thing

I mean, other than making rooms as NPCs showed up but that was during hardmode.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The rod that lets you summon your own baby version of The Twins is my favorite thing in hardmode since my bee gun is now useless. They're pretty aggro, killed Tim without me even seeing him.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jet Jaguar posted:

The rod that lets you summon your own baby version of The Twins is my favorite thing in hardmode since my bee gun is now useless. They're pretty aggro, killed Tim without me even seeing him.

Wait until you get the mini-sharknado staff. Yes, it's as amazing as it sounds.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Speaking of the twins, I just learned that you can outrun them. Fought them on my minecart track and they just up and vanished at one point. It was the middle of the night.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of the twins, I just learned that you can outrun them. Fought them on my minecart track and they just up and vanished at one point. It was the middle of the night.

You can outrun pretty much any boss, even Moon Lord, though that one is kind of tricky and super exhausting. I dunno about despawning a boss by being too far away though, but if it was night time and before 4:30 AM they should have just kept chasing you futilely.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I despawned the Golem once by being about a screenlength below him.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Just finally getting into this game. Never knew what to do with hard mode, but I'm gonna give it a real go this time but I'm worried.

Once hard mode is activated and that V of hallow and corruption are created, will they just consume the entire underworld/over-world if I don't beeline that steampunk climate changing gun thing? I contained the original corruption by bombing the terrain away from it. The V worries me just for all the stone under ground...

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Bel Monte posted:

Just finally getting into this game. Never knew what to do with hard mode, but I'm gonna give it a real go this time but I'm worried.

Once hard mode is activated and that V of hallow and corruption are created, will they just consume the entire underworld/over-world if I don't beeline that steampunk climate changing gun thing? I contained the original corruption by bombing the terrain away from it. The V worries me just for all the stone under ground...

It'll take a long time for it to eat the world, even a small one. I picked up the cleaning gun ten or so nights in when the corruption finally reached my base and started to send NPCs scurrying inwards, a little perimeter spritz once every couple of days and I basically just ignore it. Then again I am a lovely savior of Terraria.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bel Monte posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They've nerfed the spread of corruption/hallow since older patches so the horror stories of biomes consuming the world don't happen to quite the same extent. I'd say make some 3-block wide wooden barriers in the ground on each side of the spreading biomes at the surface going down 10 blocks or so, but other than that you should be fine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Although taking about a hundred sticky dynamites (or several hundred sticky bombs) and completely sectioning off your extant corruption is also fun.

But usually you won't need to do much about them, there'll be plenty of regular underground left.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dareon posted:

Although taking about a hundred sticky dynamites (or several hundred sticky bombs) and completely sectioning off your extant corruption is also fun.

But usually you won't need to do much about them, there'll be plenty of regular underground left.

yeah if you're going to do it this is the way, you can just chuck a dynamite downward every couple seconds and dig a huge pit straight down, I did it for my corruption on a medium world and I think it took 30 minutes to dig down both sides with a few deaths. Maybe an hour, I didn't really time it, getting harassed by corruptors makes it a pain in the rear end

but for reference I think it takes over a week of heavy play for the V to reach your world center (which is usually where I build my base anyway), I've done basically nothing to slow the Hallow side and it's just now getting close enough to my base to be a concern, quite a while after I beat the moon lord. Once you get the super-ultra-mining-mount-9000 it's extremely trivial to dig hellevators in no time flat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's super quick to dig hellevators with a good pick. Just turn on smart cursor and dig downward, it'll automatically make a two-tile wide shaft. Mirror back to the top and do it again on the edge of the shaft to make a four-tile-wide shaft. Just be ready to deal with water and lava in your path.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i love my D.C.U.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got to my first hardmode and I've been reading up about how the Crimson spreads, and it looks like my Jungle and Underground Jungle are set to be destroyed pretty easily. Is it worth quarantining the Crimson surface area that's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Jungle's surface?

edit: just saw a couple posts up, I won't worry about it

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

chlorophyte ore that appears in the jungle in hardmode actually converts crimson/corruption back to jungle so it's much harder if not impossible for the jungle to be destroyed now (unless you go crazy and mine it all of course), some other guy said his jungle was actually eating up the corruption biome

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

chlorophyte cant convert dirt back to mud fast enough until you kill Plantera

basically as long as you don't dally around and get to killing Plantera, the infections aren't a problem. Still with the DCU, containing them perfectly takes all of 5 minutes

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
It also can't affect more than the surface layer, because corrupt/crimson grass can't exist on dirt deeper than the surface layer.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SuitDude posted:

Just got to my first hardmode and I've been reading up about how the Crimson spreads, and it looks like my Jungle and Underground Jungle are set to be destroyed pretty easily. Is it worth quarantining the Crimson surface area that's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Jungle's surface?

edit: just saw a couple posts up, I won't worry about it

Yes, absolutely. You won't have any chlorophyte on the surface, so the Crimson will happily eat your whole surface jungle if left alone long enough, even after you beat Plantera. Even underground, your jungle is likely to have more stone than chlorophyte, so Crimson tends to outspread the jungle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

chlorophyte cant convert dirt back to mud fast enough until you kill Plantera

basically as long as you don't dally around and get to killing Plantera, the infections aren't a problem. Still with the DCU, containing them perfectly takes all of 5 minutes

Doesn't breaking altars still spawn random patches of hallow/crimson/corruption too?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doesn't breaking altars still spawn random patches of hallow/crimson/corruption too?

yes

To be honest I kind of assumed someone who has the DCU wouldn't need to break any more altars though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evil Fluffy posted:

If it's underground, it won't be able to spread in the jungle. Corruption/crimson grass can't grow underground.