Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The 14 NPC requirement is new to 1.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Per the wiki her buff adds +8 defense. That's great for the pre-hardmode bosses but in hardmode, between +8 not being as huge a buff percentage-wise and the fact she'll probably be killed within seconds, it probably isn't worth the effort. You have to be pretty drat close to her to get the buff and it doesn't linger; it vanishes as soon as you're outside her area of effect.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

They do, but they grow randomly wherever just like normal plants (and Life Fruits, for that matter). If you made a nice, big arena by your last bulb... well, I hope you had fun mining out thousands of mud :downs:

This is why making a backup of your world right before fighting that rear end in a top hat is a good idea.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kazil posted:

I really wish there was a better way to trigger the martian invasion besides "Hope a rare as gently caress enemy shows up maybe possibly"

Don't worry, as soon as you've gotten what you want from it and the Martian invasion because a nuisance you'd rather not deal with, said enemy will show up over and over and over! :suicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Geomancing posted:

I've realized something about gathering paintings. In the old world generation parameters, underground houses were all kinds of funky shaped, but they were solid. The new ones are nice and rectangular, but they're heavily damaged, so there usually isn't a section of background wall large enough for paintings to spawn, as they just pop off if a tile of wall is missing. In my entire world, I've only found one painting in an underground cabin. You used to see them fairly regularly.

Yeah, this definitely is true.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I see them regularly in the cavern layer while I'm looking around for a lava charm (:arghfist:). Pretty sure I have banner already. This is non-expert mode, but to my knowledge there are no enemies *removed* in expert mode.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Section Z posted:

TL;DR: How does an idiot who knows nothing about building manage both up and down vertical access for NPCs that doesn't rely on offscreen teleportation? Or should I just say gently caress and accept that NPCs will just mingle with their own floor?

As far as I know, this is now impossible and NPCs will never go up or down stairs while onscreen. In my floating gulagfortress, they will (oddly enough) occasionally teleport downstairs while offscreen, but never upstairs.

Edit: Here, screenshot of my pre-hardmode fortress:

Of all the NPCs you see, the Merchant alone is not on his home floor. He lives in the room with the tigerskin on the left. No one else ever leaves their home floor. You see where the Dryad is standing in that screenshot? That's as far up the stairs as anyone ever goes. Someone said this is because they run into the platform above and fall off; I presume this is true. Point is, since 1.3 there is currently no way I know of to get NPCs to go up and down floors and mingle and that makes me sad and I hope it gets changed back.

Only half pictured: The goblin tinkerer who has the fourth floor to himself and is always lonely. :saddowns:

Yes I know it looks like something a random item generator spewed out I suck at designing okay

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I want to clarify what I said up above there--NPCs WILL use stairs. It's just that they will not pass through a platform floor in either direction. The standard way of going from one floor to another (which works just fine for the player) is to build stairs (a diagonal line of platforms which are then hammered into stair-shape) leading up to the next floor, the floors divided at the top of the stairs by a 5-or-more-block platform.

The player can still use this just fine. NPCs cannot. They will not drop down through platforms (enemies still will, however) and if they're climbing stairs and encounter a platform at the top they will immediately fall off the stairs (by walking sideways instead of upward, and off the edge).

All of this is new to 1.3; NPCs navigated platforms/stairs just fine before. A note in the changelog suggests this is intentional (something about preventing them from getting stuck? Can't remember exactly.) But there's got to be something better than "it is impossible to construct a way to move between floors within the same structure that NPCs will use" that will come in a future patch. I hope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It doesn't look like they intend to enable NPCs to move between floors anytime soon :sigh:

Back to work on my long town with a one-floor-only building height limit, then!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I prefer Corruption because gently caress those goddamn winding Crimson tunnels to get to the things I want to break, and gently caress those goddamned spiders.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

I figured out a way to cheese(cheat) fishing quests if you want to do them quickly without straight up editing your character. Basically you start a multiplayer server where you haven't done the daily quest. Find out what the fish is, catch it, put it in a chest near the angler. Go into your server command and save the world, then turn in the quest. From that point you save and exit on your character and just close the world without saving. Reopen that world and you can turn in a quest in under 10 seconds depending on where your angler is. This also works for just straight up duping items if you need to.

I mean... that's an interesting thing you can do, but if you're willing to go to those lengths why not just cut out the middlemen and use an inventory editor to give yourself whatever it is you want from fishing quests?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

It only took me 36 sharks to get my diving helm. I consider that a success :v:

The day I found a shark statue underground was a glorious day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Oh, it is a V, my bad.

Anyway, I looked at an example of a corruption biome on the map and it is definitely not that color. Corruption is a dark purple on the minimap, that's just grey stone. The background is darker, yes, but there are parts of the caverns which are darker like that and have nothing to do with corruption. I think they're gem caves.

They're not granite? When I first looked at it I assumed they were granite.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sometimes it's really remarkable how great lengths a few people will go to make a fun game unfun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Well... huh... One would think that it would just be easier to make a better game than make up hundreds of BS reviews.

Not even close. Making a good game is unbelievably loving difficult. (Which is why giving money to Kickstarters/Early Access poo poo is setting it on fire, 99% of the time the Visionary Artist promising such amazing features has no idea how hard they will actually turn out to be to implement)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Buff potions and Meteor armor/space gun will make quick work of the Wall of Flesh with a decently long runway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but you get a free chest every time you die, that's OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You'll know if/when an official release date for 1.4 is announced because you'll hop onto the Something Awful Forums Games Forum and notice the Terraria thread has 83 new posts